• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Fuss

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Many mothers commented on a post about breastfeeding difficulties, offering possible reasons such as teething, growth spurts or dietary issues, and shared solutions. Several mentioned creating a calm nursing environment, while others suggested cold treats to soothe gum pain. There was agreement that certain foods in the mother's diet can irritate a baby's sensitive stomach, with caffeine, spices and greasy food common culprits. The discussion also turned to the idea of creating an app to track feeding patterns, fussiness, and dietary habits, which could provide personalised tips and connect parents in a supportive community. This app would be an invaluable resource for new parents navigating breastfeeding challenges.

I'm at my wit's end with my little one and his feeding fuss! He used to breastfeed without a problem, but suddenly he's fussy and unlatched constantly - I'm wondering if it's because of my diet? Or is it teeth? Has anyone else experienced this and what helped you? Need some ideas before I go crazy!

Reactions: sunflower
Could be teething issies! My baby went through a fussy phase too and turned out he was getting his first tooth. Try offering cold treats like frozen fruits or a damp washcloth to chew on, that might help soothe the pain and distract him from unlatching. Also, check your diet - some foods can trigger fussiness in breastfeeding babies. Cut down on caffeine and heavily spiced foods, see if that makes a difference!

Could be teething nah. My kiddo also fussed a lot when his teeth were coming in. The pain makes them cranky and they bite down on anything, including your nipples haha. Try giving him cold things to chew on, like frozen washcloths or those special toys made for biting. Also look at your diet - spicy, acidic, or very greasy food can irritate baby's sensitive stomach and make him unwilling to nurse. Don't stress too much, it'll pass!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Could be teething or growth spurt! Try not to stress too much - I know it's easier said than done - because that could also affect your milk flow.

Maybe try offering cold drinks or frozen fruits to help with the discomfort if it's teething. And yup, sometimes little ones just get distracted and fidgety too, especially as they get more curious about the world! You could try creating a calm and cozy environment, dim the lights, use a nursing cover, or have some soothing music playing.

Also, consult your doctor if you think it's diet-related! They can help to rule that out and guide you on any changes needed. Don't worry, this phase will pass!

Reactions: greenfingers
Could be teething issies. My little one also fussed a lot when that happened - made nursing difficult! Try giving your baby some chilled fruits like frozen bananas or apples to soothe the gums and maybe offer an extra comfty latched. Also, ensure your diet's not spicy or too strong-tasting cos that can upset their tummies and make them fussy.

Could be teething! My baby also very sensitive to what I eat cos he gets gassy easily. I cut down on caffeine and gas-inducing foods like broccoli and cauliflower for now. Also try offering cold drinks or frozen fruits, the cold temp helps numb their gums which can help with the discomfort from incoming teeth.

Could be teething or growth spurt! Have you noticed any changes in baby's chewing or biting? And yup, diet could be a reason too - some foods can cause fussiness in little ones. You're not alone though! This phase will pass, and it's great that you're seeking insights to help understand your LO better.

Could be teething or growth spurt! Have you noticed any changes in baby's chewing or biting? And yup, diet could be a reason too - some foods can cause fussiness in little ones. You're not alone though! This phase will pass, and it's great that you're seeking insights to help understand your LO better.
It could be either! And you're right about the diet - certain foods can trigger fussiness in some babes. Can't really pinpoint what the exact cause is, so best is to just stay observant and keep noting down any patterns you see. Could also jot down what you eat daily and see if there's any correlation!

It could be either! And you're right about the diet - certain foods can trigger fussiness in some babes. Can't really pinpoint what the exact cause is, so best is to just stay observant and keep noting down any patterns you see. Could also jot down what you eat daily and see if there's any correlation!
That's a great suggestion to note down dietary patterns! I wonder if there's an app for that - it'd be cool to have a baby feeding/fussiness tracker that other moms could also contribute to. Different foods, different reactions, all in one place! Might make things easier for new moms.

That's a great suggestion to note down dietary patterns! I wonder if there's an app for that - it'd be cool to have a baby feeding/fussiness tracker that other moms could also contribute to. Different foods, different reactions, all in one place! Might make things easier for new moms.
There are apps for period and pregnancy tracking, but nothing specific for baby feeding patterns that I know of. But that's a fab idea though! Would've made things so much easier.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
There are apps for period and pregnancy tracking, but nothing specific for baby feeding patterns that I know of. But that's a fab idea though! Would've made things so much easier.
It'd be handy to have an app that focuses on baby's meal timings and their fussiness too. Something simple with prompts and notes section would help new parents.

It'd be handy to have an app that focuses on baby's meal timings and their fussiness too. Something simple with prompts and notes section would help new parents.
That's a great concept which I think many new parents would find extremely useful. Being able to log feed times, durations, and fuss levels would be a baby care essential!

That's a great concept which I think many new parents would find extremely useful. Being able to log feed times, durations, and fuss levels would be a baby care essential!
Yup! Having those insights could help predict and manage feeding routines and understand baby's needs better. It'd be handy to have a timeline overview of the day's feeds and fuss levels especially when introducing new foods or dealing with a fussy eater.

Yup! Having those insights could help predict and manage feeding routines and understand baby's needs better. It'd be handy to have a timeline overview of the day's feeds and fuss levels especially when introducing new foods or dealing with a fussy eater.
An app that provides tips on handling specific feed-related challenges based on actual data input would be so helpful for tired, frazzled parents!

An app that provides tips on handling specific feed-related challenges based on actual data input would be so helpful for tired, frazzled parents!
That'd be a godsend for parents An app tailored to individual needs, with tips and recommendations based on real-time data, would be a huge help. No more guessing or Googling; just practical solutions at your fingertips.

That'd be a godsend for parents An app tailored to individual needs, with tips and recommendations based on real-time data, would be a huge help. No more guessing or Googling; just practical solutions at your fingertips.
Yes! And it'd be so convenient too, having all that valuable info in one place. A customized, adaptable guide for each family's unique feeding journey.

Yes! And it'd be so convenient too, having all that valuable info in one place. A customized, adaptable guide for each family's unique feeding journey.
There could also be a community feature where parents can connect, share experiences and offer tailored advice to each other - a supportive network for all those little emergencies!

There could also be a community feature where parents can connect, share experiences and offer tailored advice to each other - a supportive network for all those little emergencies!
Having a supportive online community for parents to seek guidance and share their experiences sounds like a great add-on to the app's features. Sometimes, it's the reassurance that others are experiencing similar issues that can help us get through some challenges.

• Haha
Reactions: lioness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu