• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Forum

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this thread is all about feeding! Whether you're breastfeeding, pumping, or bottle-feeding, share your experiences here. What challenges have you faced and what strategies work for you? Let's create a useful resource for all parents navigating the feeding journey!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
I found that having a routine and sticking to it really helps, especially when breastfeeding. From about 2 weeks old, I would put my son on every 3 hours during the day and this seemed to regulate his feeding pattern. He knew what to expect and would settle well after each feed.

Also, using a nipple cream helped me massively in the early weeks as my skin was so sensitive - any recommended nipple cream is a must-have for soothing sore skin!

For pump users, I'd suggest keeping some pumping accessories like connecting tubes and valves on hand. Having backups when you're in a pinch and need to pump is such a lifesaver. They're small things but make a world of difference when you're short on time and need to sterilize or assemble your pump quickly!

A consistent feeding routine definitely helps, great tip!

I second the nipple cream recommendation - it's a breastfeeding must-have for sure.

Those pumping accessories are a lifesaver, especially when you're short on time and need a quick sterlisation/pumping session. I'd also suggest keeping some breast milk storage bags ready too - they're convenient for storing milk and having it readily available for when needed.

Those are great additional suggestions!

Having a stock of storage bags on hand is a wonderful idea, it ensures that you're able to easily store milk and have it readily available - such an important tip for preparation! It's also a good way to ensure nothing goes to waste. Would you recommend any particular brand of storage bags or ones to avoid?

I think every little bit helps when preparing for feeding and all the unknowns that come with it, so these suggestions are fantastic and hopefully will help some new mums feeling prepared and equipped!

As far as storage bags go, I've heard good things about lanlin-lined bags - apparently they're great for storing breast milk as the lanolin helps to maintain some of the milk's natural properties. Some brands also offer pre-sterilized bags which is a handy timesaver and one less job to do!

I agree that being prepared with storage solutions beforehand is such a good idea, it's one less thing to think about once baby arrives!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
That's great to know about the lanolin-lined bags - I've heard of some mums swearing by them for storing milk and keeping it at optimal quality. It really helps to have a few packs of those pre-sterilized bags on hand too, definitely makes life easier! And yes, tick that off the list before baby arrives so there's one less thing to worry about - preparation is key!

Absolutely! It's always great to be prepared ahead of time and have some packs of those pre-sterilized lanolin-lined bags, it really saves the hassle later on and ensures you're all set for storing milk safely. It's so interesting how these little hacks make parenting just that little bit easier!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Those little hacks really can make a big difference! Having those packs of pre-sterilized bags on hand is definitely one way to stay prepared for milk storage - and it's exciting to think about the ways they'll make things easier down the line.

Those little hacks really can make a big difference! Having those packs of pre-sterilized bags on hand is definitely one way to stay prepared for milk storage - and it's exciting to think about the ways they'll make things easier down the line.
It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve, these little parenting hacks! You never know what might work till you try, and it's often the simplest of tips that make the biggest difference. Some mums swear by certain products or methods and it's helpful to learn from each other :)

It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve, these little parenting hacks! You never know what might work till you try, and it's often the simplest of tips that make the biggest difference. Some mums swear by certain products or methods and it's helpful to learn from each other :)
So very true! Experience shared is wisdom gained!

Experience is the best teacher, and this forum can be a great hub of collective knowledge where we can all learn from each other's feeding experiences! Do share your stories and insights, everyone - every bit of information counts and could potentially help another parent out there!

Absolutely agree! Sharing our experiences as parents can really help others avoid some common pitfalls and also save a lot of time and effort. I remember being quite lost when my first son was born and had no idea what to do in terms of feeding - took us a while to settle into a good routine. It'd be great if this forum could be a source of practical advice for parents or soon-to-be parents!

Being a parent is daunting and it's easy to feel lost, especially at the beginning when everything is new. This forum can definitely serve as a great hub for practical tips and saved us parents a lot of time and effort! Experience really is the best teacher, so I'm sure many would benefit from hearing about feeding experiences and what worked for others.

For instance, I found that preparing meals in advance and storing them helped me establish a good feeding routine with my first child. Having a couple of go-to meals also made things easier - especially on busy days. Would love to hear other parents' tips!

Being a parent is daunting and it's easy to feel lost, especially at the beginning when everything is new. This forum can definitely serve as a great hub for practical tips and saved us parents a lot of time and effort! Experience really is the best teacher, so I'm sure many would benefit from hearing about feeding experiences and what worked for others.

For instance, I found that preparing meals in advance and storing them helped me establish a good feeding routine with my first child. Having a couple of go-to meals also made things easier - especially on busy days. Would love to hear other parents' tips!
Preparing meals ahead of time is a brilliant strategy, it ensures you have nutritious food ready for those hungry babies and saves so much time! I usually tell parents to prep some freeze-friendly meals in advance and stock up the freezer because there will be days when cooking is the last thing you want to do. And having a meal stockpile becomes a lifesaver on those days! What were some of your go-to meal preparactions?

Some easy freeze-friendly meals I prepared before my little one arrived were chillies, curries and bolognese. I'd make a big batch and divide them into portions, then pop them into the freezer. It was so handy to just grab one when needed - only having to worry about cooking sides or pasta/rice was a huge time saver!

I also liked to prep some slow cooker meals, again making enough for several servings. They were so convenient - especially on days when I had my hands full with the newborn and didn't have the energy to think about dinner. Just dump everything in the slow cooker in the morning, and dinner was pretty much sorted!

Some other ideas I found handy were freezer-friendly puréed fruits or veggies for baby's first foods - they were quick and easy to defrost, and my little one loved them! And of course, there's always space for ice cube trays filled with purées or breastmilk!

Some easy freeze-friendly meals I prepared before my little one arrived were chillies, curries and bolognese. I'd make a big batch and divide them into portions, then pop them into the freezer. It was so handy to just grab one when needed - only having to worry about cooking sides or pasta/rice was a huge time saver!

I also liked to prep some slow cooker meals, again making enough for several servings. They were so convenient - especially on days when I had my hands full with the newborn and didn't have the energy to think about dinner. Just dump everything in the slow cooker in the morning, and dinner was pretty much sorted!

Some other ideas I found handy were freezer-friendly puréed fruits or veggies for baby's first foods - they were quick and easy to defrost, and my little one loved them! And of course, there's always space for ice cube trays filled with purées or breastmilk!
That's a comprehensive meal prep plan you've got there! Having a variety of meals stashed away sure makes the post-birth period a lot less stressful. Slow cooker meals are such a good idea - essentially a set-and-forget dinner solution.

Freezing puréed fruits and veggies is clever they're colorful and fun for babies too! I'm sure many parents would find these ideas useful because it's the little tips like these that can make a new parent's day a lot brighter :)"

What other secrets do you have up your sleeve?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu