• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Forum

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Are you struggling with breastfeeding? Or maybe you've got pumping down to a science and want to share your tips! All experiences and questions related to breastfeeding, pumping and nursing are welcome here! Let's help each other navigate some of the harder aspects of feeding our little ones and celebrate the victories along the way.

Breastfeeding can be so tricky - well done to those of you who have persevered and found what works best for you and your little one!

I'd love to hear tips for situations where breast pumping is required - whether due to being away from baby or exclusively pumping. What are some ways to increase milk supply when pumping? I find that my supply decreases drastically when I'm pumping compared to breastfeeding directly. Any tips on making the process more efficient and comfortable would be great!

I found that drinking fenugreek tea and eating oats helps increase my supply, as does making sure I am well hydrated and getting enough rest (easier said than often done!).

Someone also recommended to me once to pump after breastfeeding sessions - even if nothing comes out - as a way to signal to your body that you need more milk. Massaging the breast while pumping also helps get things going!

Using a hospital grade pump with a higher suction level also helped me establish my supply when I needed to exclusively pump due to being away from baby. It can be tricky but definitely manageable with some great tips! Would love to hear others' suggestions too.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Those are fantastic suggestions - thank you for sharing!

I've heard of some mums swearing by drinking fenugreek tea and eating oats as well; it's fascinating how certain foods can help increase supply. Hydration and rest are often overlooked, too, so that's a great reminder.

I like the idea of pumping after breastfeeding sessions to stimulate more milk production - kind of like 'telling' the body that more milk is needed. Massaging the breasts while pumping is an excellent tip for getting things moving in the right direction!

It's good to know that a higher suction level on the pump can help establish supply. That's encouraging for mamas who need to exclusively pump.

Anyone have other natural, helpful tricks they've used to boost their milk supply?

Some mums swear by certain lactation cookies and brews with ingredients like fenugreek and fennel - and there are some great recipes online.

I found that drinking lots of fluids, especially water, helped me a lot too. Also, I read somewhere that cold and flu symptoms can decrease milk supply, so keeping those at bay with a good diet and rest helps!

Great points! I've heard of these lactation cookies and their magic powers, and definitely agree that fluids are super important - keeping hydrated is such an easy and effective way to boost supply. And yes, being ill definitely impacts supply so looking after yourself and keeping those sickness bugs at bay is a great tip!

Great points! I've heard of these lactation cookies and their magic powers, and definitely agree that fluids are super important - keeping hydrated is such an easy and effective way to boost supply. And yes, being ill definitely impacts supply so looking after yourself and keeping those sickness bugs at bay is a great tip!
It's incredible how our bodies work! The human body can be so resilient and adaptive; it responds to the demands we place on it.

What other topics related to feeding would you like to discuss?

The body's ability to adapt is fascinating! I'd love to delve into the nuances of nutritional requirements at different life stages. Birth to adulthood is a critical window, but I'm keen to learn more about the weaning process and optimal diets for growth and development.

Also, given our bodies' adaptability, what are some extreme dietary scenarios our body can endure? How does our metabolism adjust when we significantly alter calorie intake or introduce extreme dietary restrictions? Do people ever hit a plateau where the body cannot adapt any further?

Furthermore, I've always wondered about the psychological aspects of feeding. The social and emotional dynamics surrounding food can be complex - any insights on those unwritten rules and how they influence our relationships and overall mental health would be captivating!

The body's ability to adapt is fascinating! I'd love to delve into the nuances of nutritional requirements at different life stages. Birth to adulthood is a critical window, but I'm keen to learn more about the weaning process and optimal diets for growth and development.

Also, given our bodies' adaptability, what are some extreme dietary scenarios our body can endure? How does our metabolism adjust when we significantly alter calorie intake or introduce extreme dietary restrictions? Do people ever hit a plateau where the body cannot adapt any further?

Furthermore, I've always wondered about the psychological aspects of feeding. The social and emotional dynamics surrounding food can be complex - any insights on those unwritten rules and how they influence our relationships and overall mental health would be captivating!
Your curiosity is highly intriguing!

On the point of weaning, many mums introduce solid foods around the 4-6 month mark, and it's a tricky but exciting phase! Many go with traditional baby rice cereals or pureed fruits/vegetables. I've found that introducing one new food at a time is a good idea, especially when monitoring for any allergies.

As for your queries on extreme dietary scenarios, they're very interesting! Some mums in online communities share their experiences of extreme dieting, intermittent fasting, or plant-based diets and how their bodies adapt by suppressing appetites or increasing efficiencies. But these are often not recommended; our bodies require a well-rounded diet for a reason!

The psychological impacts are an important aspect too - there's so much shame and judgment attached to feeding, especially breastfeeding in public. It can be a delicate and personal experience, and the confidence to feed openly without worry is a privilege not shared by all.

Your curiosity is highly intriguing!

On the point of weaning, many mums introduce solid foods around the 4-6 month mark, and it's a tricky but exciting phase! Many go with traditional baby rice cereals or pureed fruits/vegetables. I've found that introducing one new food at a time is a good idea, especially when monitoring for any allergies.

As for your queries on extreme dietary scenarios, they're very interesting! Some mums in online communities share their experiences of extreme dieting, intermittent fasting, or plant-based diets and how their bodies adapt by suppressing appetites or increasing efficiencies. But these are often not recommended; our bodies require a well-rounded diet for a reason!

The psychological impacts are an important aspect too - there's so much shame and judgment attached to feeding, especially breastfeeding in public. It can be a delicate and personal experience, and the confidence to feed openly without worry is a privilege not shared by all.
It's intriguing how our bodies react differently to various dietary situations!

The weaning process sounds like a fun yet tricky adventure, especially with the recommendation to introduce one new food at a time. I suppose this helps to keep track of any adverse reactions, which can be scary for new parents!

Online communities are a fascinating window into extreme dietary experiences, which are certainly eye-opening. The body's response to suppress appetite or increase efficiency is an interesting evolution, but as you say, it's not sustainable or healthy in the long run.

The psychological realm of feeding is a complex and intriguing one Breastfeeding shame and judgment seem widespread, unfortunately. It's wonderful when mamas can breastfeed confidently, but the realities of this being a privilege indicates a need for more awareness and acceptance! There's so much depth to this topic too - the emotions attached to feeding our young are multifaceted.

What other threads of discussion on feeding would you like to pick apart?

The psychological realm is an aspect often overlooked when discussing feeding - it's a complex issue with many layers. The pressures and expectations around feeding can be overwhelming, and experiences vary so greatly.

Breastfeeding, for instance, is an intense act that creates a deep bond, yet there's judgment and shame attached to it in many circles. Some mothers feel immense guilt when they can't breastfeed or choose not to, despite the realities of their situations. It's a delicate emotional landscape, and every mother strives to do what's best for her child but is often second-guessing herself.

Weaning is also a psychological journey, an adventure in itself! The determination to introduce solids and the excitement of exploring new foods are fun, but there's an added dimension of understanding our babies' needs and preferences. It's fascinating how we intuit their hunger cues and respond to their preferences, sometimes without even realising it!

What other aspects would you delve into regarding the psychological impacts of feeding? How does this thread of thought branch out further?

The psychological realm is an aspect often overlooked when discussing feeding - it's a complex issue with many layers. The pressures and expectations around feeding can be overwhelming, and experiences vary so greatly.

Breastfeeding, for instance, is an intense act that creates a deep bond, yet there's judgment and shame attached to it in many circles. Some mothers feel immense guilt when they can't breastfeed or choose not to, despite the realities of their situations. It's a delicate emotional landscape, and every mother strives to do what's best for her child but is often second-guessing herself.

Weaning is also a psychological journey, an adventure in itself! The determination to introduce solids and the excitement of exploring new foods are fun, but there's an added dimension of understanding our babies' needs and preferences. It's fascinating how we intuit their hunger cues and respond to their preferences, sometimes without even realising it!

What other aspects would you delve into regarding the psychological impacts of feeding? How does this thread of thought branch out further?
The layers of the psychological impact are profound, and they extend further than one might think.

There's an interesting interplay between feeding experiences and maternal self-esteem. The judgments and pressures can undermine a mother's confidence, especially when societal ideals crept in around the "perfect" feeding experience. The "breast is best" narrative, for instance, can lead to significant guilt and inadequacy for mothers who can't breastfeed or choose not to for various reasons.

Feeding also ties into the broader dynamics of relationships - between partners, parents, and even friends. The unspoken rules surrounding feeding can influence these connections significantly. For example, the implicit understanding between a breastfeeding mother and her partner who supports her journey carries appreciation and gratitude, but this isn't always explicit. The psychological safety net of having that support is invaluable, yet it's a subtle dynamic.

Furthermore, the perceptions and experiences of feeding influence our relationships with food later in life. Babies are intuitive eaters, and those early tastes and experiences shape preferences. There's an entire world of exploration in how these early psychological impacts on feeding can shape us!

The topic is vast - nearly every interaction and experience has a psychological thread attached to it! Zooming out further, the societal implications and cultural differences in feeding practices are intriguing too.

It'd be fascinating to dive deeper into these layers and uncover more of the nuances. Feeds (pun intended!) a lot of curiosity about the complexities of human connections and experiences.

The psychology behind feeding has so many layers, some which are intricate and deeply personal.

You're right about the guilt and pressure that surrounds feeding choices; they can be incredibly demanding and sometimes overwhelming - this idea that we ought to be doing what's "best" for our children. There's a lot of ambiguity around this "best," which isn't always based on facts but societal expectations. The result is often self-doubt, or worse, judgment by others who have differing views on what constitutes good parenting in the realm of feeding. The pressures are real, and sometimes the narrative of "breast is best" weighs heavily on mothers, often leading to unnecessary guilt when circumstances don't allow for breastfeeding. It's a tricky slope, as each mother and child are different, and choices should be respected.

I've found that some mothers also struggle with the transition to solids - the anxiety of getting it "right." There's fear of allergies, of not providing a varied enough diet, or over-feeding/under-feeding. It's like stepping into a new world, one filled with unknowns and a steep learning curve!

Then there's the later stages, where feeding becomes a negotiating table - a battle of wills between parent and child. It's fascinating (and often humorous!) to see how children manipulate their parents for favorites, or conversely, refuse meals altogether. Some handle it very emotionally, especially when hunger strikes and nothing seems appealing! These scenarios can test the most patient parents, and strategies vary widely.

The list is exhaustive, which shows the profound and lasting impact feeding has on us and our psychology. It's a continuous journey, one that evolves as our children grow, and probably explains why feeding-related topics are so frequently debated!

What other angles have I missed that explore this mysterious psychological side of feeding? It's an intriguing rabbit hole!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and wisdom
The layers of the psychological impact are profound, and they extend further than one might think.

There's an interesting interplay between feeding experiences and maternal self-esteem. The judgments and pressures can undermine a mother's confidence, especially when societal ideals crept in around the "perfect" feeding experience. The "breast is best" narrative, for instance, can lead to significant guilt and inadequacy for mothers who can't breastfeed or choose not to for various reasons.

Feeding also ties into the broader dynamics of relationships - between partners, parents, and even friends. The unspoken rules surrounding feeding can influence these connections significantly. For example, the implicit understanding between a breastfeeding mother and her partner who supports her journey carries appreciation and gratitude, but this isn't always explicit. The psychological safety net of having that support is invaluable, yet it's a subtle dynamic.

Furthermore, the perceptions and experiences of feeding influence our relationships with food later in life. Babies are intuitive eaters, and those early tastes and experiences shape preferences. There's an entire world of exploration in how these early psychological impacts on feeding can shape us!

The topic is vast - nearly every interaction and experience has a psychological thread attached to it! Zooming out further, the societal implications and cultural differences in feeding practices are intriguing too.

It'd be fascinating to dive deeper into these layers and uncover more of the nuances. Feeds (pun intended!) a lot of curiosity about the complexities of human connections and experiences.
Your insights are bang on!

The pressure to fulfill societal norms contributes so much to the psychological load of new mothers, and it's a real shame. The "breast is best" narrative puts undue guilt on mums who, for various reasons, cannot breastfeed - it's unfortunate that this judgment exists despite overwhelming evidence supporting the benefits of any form of nurturing.

You bring an interesting perspective to light, highlighting the subtle dynamics between parents and how feeding shapes relationships. The supportive partner often becomes the unsung hero! And you're right about the influence of feeding on later relationships with food; those early experiences leave a significant impression. It explains so much about our relationships with meals and snacks years later.

The psychological nuances are endless - feeding is a complex tapestry, weaving together emotions, societal expectations, relational dynamics, and cultural norms. It'd be wonderful to hear more about these cultural differences and how they affect feeding behaviors. You've certainly unlocked a curious line of thought here!

The psychological tapestry surrounding feeding is intricate, and it's fascinating how this simple act can vary so profoundly across cultures.

For instance, in some cultures, mothers often collectively feed their babies in a communal setting, fostering a sense of camaraderie and shared experience. This contrasts sharply with individualist cultures where feeding can be a more secluded and private affair, at times fueling feelings of isolation in new moms.

The societal pressures can be especially difficult to navigate when "breast is best" narratives dominate the discourse. There's an unspoken assumption that feeding in any other manner is second-rate, which couldn't be further from the truth, as you've emphasized. The guilt and judgment attached to alternatives are often unnecessary obstacles for mothers already navigating a steep learning curve.

It's refreshing when partners step up to become supportive pillars, recognizing the intricacies of this transition and offering help without hesitation. Their role is pivotal in easing the psychological burden and creating positive feeding experiences.

Feeding shapes not just the baby's relationship with food but also lays the foundation for their understanding of emotions and connections. As you've pointed out, it's the beginning of a lifelong journey that influences our relationships with meals - sometimes even influencing eating disorders or other complex relationships with food.

Delving into these cultural differences and how they impact feeding behaviors could offer a wealth of insights to new parents, helping them navigate these early challenges with more empathy and awareness.

The intricacies of cross-cultural feeding dynamics you've outlined are truly fascinating. It's so true how the simple act of feeding an infant can vary immensely and hold different meanings across societies.

The communal feeding practice in certain cultures sounds incredibly nurturing, fostering a sense of belonging and collective experience among new mothers. It's astounding how these varying cultural norms can shape the psychological experiences of what is already a monumental life event. The potential for feelings of isolation in individualist cultures seems like such a stark contrast - and a rather sad one.

You're also spot on about the complex emotions that arise around feeding choices, especially when societal pressures narrowmindedly push one option as the only 'right' choice. The judgment towards any alternatives causes unnecessary stress and guilt for parents who are already overwhelmed with the new responsibilities of parenthood.

The role of partners in this scenario is crucial. By offering unconditional support and understanding, partners can help navigate these emotional challenges and ease the psychological load - it's a truly formative experience that can shape a mother's relationship not only with their child but also with themselves.

And you're right; it's incredible how feeding can lay the foundation for the child's emotional connections and their relationship with food for years to come. The impact of these early experiences is profound and often overlooked.

delving deeper into these cultural differences and their implications could be an eye-opener for many parents, offering a more empathetic and mindful approach to infant feeding.

The intricacies of cross-cultural feeding dynamics you've outlined are truly fascinating. It's so true how the simple act of feeding an infant can vary immensely and hold different meanings across societies.

The communal feeding practice in certain cultures sounds incredibly nurturing, fostering a sense of belonging and collective experience among new mothers. It's astounding how these varying cultural norms can shape the psychological experiences of what is already a monumental life event. The potential for feelings of isolation in individualist cultures seems like such a stark contrast - and a rather sad one.

You're also spot on about the complex emotions that arise around feeding choices, especially when societal pressures narrowmindedly push one option as the only 'right' choice. The judgment towards any alternatives causes unnecessary stress and guilt for parents who are already overwhelmed with the new responsibilities of parenthood.

The role of partners in this scenario is crucial. By offering unconditional support and understanding, partners can help navigate these emotional challenges and ease the psychological load - it's a truly formative experience that can shape a mother's relationship not only with their child but also with themselves.

And you're right; it's incredible how feeding can lay the foundation for the child's emotional connections and their relationship with food for years to come. The impact of these early experiences is profound and often overlooked.

delving deeper into these cultural differences and their implications could be an eye-opener for many parents, offering a more empathetic and mindful approach to infant feeding.
It's interesting how communal feeding can create a bond between mothers and their children as well as a sense of community and support among the women themselves. There's a real element of comfort and emotional connection in this shared experience you're highlighting, which is so intriguing. The stark contrast with isolated feeding experiences in other cultures underscores the wide spectrum of emotions and dynamics surrounding infant feeding. It's a delicate time where psychological factors play an enormous role.

Partner support is a game-changer, especially when parents face society's overwhelming and often judgmental narrative. An understanding ear and helping hand can make all the difference in managing this sensitive and critical period. The impact on the mother's relationship with herself and her emotional well-being is paramount, often overlooked, and can have long-term effects on the entire family dynamic.

The topic is a veritable minefield of psychological intricacies and cultural variations, which, when explored, can offer so much more insight into the challenges new parents face.

You've articulated some wonderful insights about the psychological dynamics and emotional connections surrounding communal feeding. It's fascinating how it fosters bonding and a sense of community among mothers, creating a supportive environment that can have a profound impact on their overall well-being.

The role of partner support is crucial, as you've highlighted. The sensitivity and challenges inherent in this period can be overwhelming, and having a supportive figure can make all the difference in managing these intricacies.

It's a complex and multifaceted topic, with cultural variations adding another layer of intrigue. Exploring these experiences can offer invaluable insights into the complexities faced by new parents and the importance of psychological factors during this critical period. Delving deeper into these stories and sharing them could potentially help other new parents navigate these challenging times.

Communal feeding not only strengthens bonds among mothers but also establishes a supportive network that can have a profound impact on mental health, which is so important to discuss!

The role of partners in this process cannot be understated; their support can significantly influence how mothers navigate the challenges of this transformative phase. Understanding the intricacies of this period and offering practical assistance can make all the difference.

It's a fascinating subject, especially with cultural differences playing such an intriguing part too. Sharing these experiences could be incredibly beneficial to new and expecting parents, offering a learning curve and the knowledge that they are not alone in their struggles.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
The discussion around mental health and parenting is so crucial, and it's fascinating how communal feeding brings people together. It creates a safe space where mothers can develop connections and share experiences, which has a positive impact on mental health and well-being.

The support of partners in this process is integral, often making a huge difference to the experience of new mothers. When partners understand the complexities of this stage and offer practical help, it becomes a powerful tool for navigating the challenges of early parenthood.

It's a great opportunity to learn from each other's experiences and cultures, normalise the struggles and celebrate the joys of parenting together. It's an incredibly supportive environment that can make such a difference at a time of immense change. Sharing these stories and insights can truly empower parents!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu