• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding dilemmas

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Some background on my situation would be helpful I think - I'm a FTM, currently 3 weeks in with a pretty high-needs baby. We're exclusively breastfeeding but I'm really struggling with pain/comfort issues and also supply.

Baby latched well from the get go, which was wonderful because it meant we didn't have to supplement or anything like that - but my nipples are so sore and I feel like my supply has dipped? Or maybe baby is just super efficient and doesn't need as much? Either way, every feed is excruciating and I'm in tears most times. We've tried all the usual tricks for comfort - different positions, Lansinoh, cold compresses etc.

I'm also considering introducing formula but I'm hesitant to do a full combination of breast and bottle because I'm afraid my supply will dip further. Is there a way to do a partial combination? Like offer one bottle feed a day to give my breasts a break or something? Any suggestions are welcome, this is hard!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Some background on my situation would be helpful I think - I'm a FTM, currently 3 weeks in with a pretty high-needs baby. We're exclusively breastfeeding but I'm really struggling with pain/comfort issues and also supply.

Baby latched well from the get go, which was wonderful because it meant we didn't have to supplement or anything like that - but my nipples are so sore and I feel like my supply has dipped? Or maybe baby is just super efficient and doesn't need as much? Either way, every feed is excruciating and I'm in tears most times. We've tried all the usual tricks for comfort - different positions, Lansinoh, cold compresses etc.

I'm also considering introducing formula but I'm hesitant to do a full combination of breast and bottle because I'm afraid my supply will dip further. Is there a way to do a partial combination? Like offer one bottle feed a day to give my breasts a break or something? Any suggestions are welcome, this is hard!
If you introduce formula, it doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing affair. You can still continue breastfeeding as usual and do one formula feed a day to give your breasts a rest. This way, your supply shouldn't take too big of a hit but your nipples get some respite.

It also helps to pump after a breastfeeding session if you feel there's not much milk being transferred or to store some milk for the next feed so you can skip a feeding session occasionally. It might be useful to see a lactation consultant too, who can advise on your specific situation and offer more tailored tips.

Remember, breastfeeding doesn't have to be painful - if it's excruciating, something is likely amiss. Seek help, and keep trying different solutions until you find what works for you. It's also okay to consider other options like pumping or even formula if things don't improve despite your efforts!

Exclusive breastfeeding is tough, but the fact that your baby latched well is a good sign!

It's quite common to feel like your milk supply has dipped, especially in the early weeks - your body is still figuring out how much milk your little one needs. And yup, some babies are super efficient feeders, so they seem to finish faster and that can be worrying!

If you're in a lot of pain, it might be a good idea to consider introducing one formula feed a day. This could help give your nipples a break and also ensure baby gets a full feed if your breastmilk supply is a bit lower than usual. Usually, pumping after a feed can help stimulate supply, but since you're getting sore nipples, maybe try some manual expressing after feeds instead? That way you can also keep topped up and avoid any extra discomfort.

You might also want to check your latch again - it could be deep suction that's causing the soreness. Get someone to help you with this if you can, or seek help from a lactation consultant. It's a good idea to get a professional opinion on your breastfeeding technique, just to make sure everything's okay and adjust as needed!

It does get better, so keep going mama - you're doing a great job!

If breastfeeding is killing you this much, there's no shame in introducing formula. You might want to pump and give baby the expressed breastmilk first though, so as not to disrupt your supply too quickly.

Consider also that your situation is temporary - every feed doesn't have to be excruciating forever. Three weeks is a really short time; things might turn around soon with or without intervention. You could ride it out and see if things get better while keeping an emergency pack of formula around in case you need it, but if it's affecting your mental health, don't hesitate to go full combo. Your comfort matters too.

• Haha
Reactions: musical
If breastfeeding is killing you this much, there's no shame in introducing formula. You might want to pump and give baby the expressed breastmilk first though, so as not to disrupt your supply too quickly.

Consider also that your situation is temporary - every feed doesn't have to be excruciating forever. Three weeks is a really short time; things might turn around soon with or without intervention. You could ride it out and see if things get better while keeping an emergency pack of formula around in case you need it, but if it's affecting your mental health, don't hesitate to go full combo. Your comfort matters too.
It's really tough as a new mum - big ups to you for doing your best!

You've got some great advice here so far. Just wanted to add that it's totally normal to feel like this and it doesn't mean anything's wrong or that you're doing something right. It's okay to introduce some formula feeds - especially if breastfeeding is causing this much pain.

You could try feeding your baby expressed breastmilk first, then topping up with formula afterwards . This way, your body gets a little break but your supply won't be affected too drastically.

Remember, breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing - there's a middle ground! You do what's best for you and your bub.

7978536022_96cc46becf_m.jpg

Reactions: wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu