• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Dilemmas

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When it comes to feeding our little ones, we often face many challenges and choices. From struggling with breastfeeding, dealing with latching issues, or deciding whether and when to introduce solids, it can all be quite daunting! Share your own experiences and let's help each other navigate these feeding dilemmas together. What challenges are you facing currently?

When it comes to feeding our little ones, we often face many challenges and choices. From struggling with breastfeeding, dealing with latching issues, or deciding whether and when to introduce solids, it can all be quite daunting! Share your own experiences and let's help each other navigate these feeding dilemmas together. What challenges are you facing currently?
As a fellow parent, I can relate to the myriad of feeding challenges we encounter! My son is also currently at an age where feeding isn't always a smooth ride. He's very adventurous with food, which is great, but it also means I constantly need to keep an eagle eye on him as he tries to grab everything in sight - definitely a challenge when trying to feed a hungry child!

One issue I face these days is getting him to eat nourishing meals. He's at that stage where snacks are more appealing than proper meals, and getting him to sit down for a full meal is a test of patience. So, I've been thinking of creative ways to make mealtimes fun and interesting to encourage him to finish his meals.

Another dilemma is managing feedings when we're out and about. Packaged foods and takeaway options are convenient, but I'm always mindful of the health and nutritional aspects. Balancing convenience with healthy eating habits is tricky, especially with young kids.

And finally, the age-old question of introducing new foods and spices! With so many opinions out there, it's confusing to know when to start and what's best for our children's palate development.

I'd love to hear everyone's experiences and solutions to these common feeding conundrums! It's great to have a space to share our stories and gather some helpful tips. Does anyone have any insightful strategies they've discovered?

I'm not gonna lie; breastfeeding was a nightmare for me, especially in the beginning. Latching issues had me in tears many a time. It felt like an uphill battle, but I persevered because I wanted to breastfeed successfully. Turns out, the struggles were worth it, and I eventually overcame them. My advice? Seek help early if you're struggling; there's no shame in it! Get support from nurses, lactation consultants, or experienced mamas. Don't wait until you're overwhelmed; it's easier to fix issues when they arise rather than letting them escalate.

Now, my little one is past the baby stage, and we're tackling weaning. It's a whole new challenge - deciding on the right foods to introduce and ensuring she doesn't end up as a fussy eater. It's a whole new world of worries, but I'm determined to raise a healthy little foodie!

What about you? Any challenges related to feeding your little ones you'd like to discuss? We're in this together, mamas!

Reactions: mamamia and nature
As a fellow parent, I can relate to the myriad of feeding challenges we encounter! My son is also currently at an age where feeding isn't always a smooth ride. He's very adventurous with food, which is great, but it also means I constantly need to keep an eagle eye on him as he tries to grab everything in sight - definitely a challenge when trying to feed a hungry child!

One issue I face these days is getting him to eat nourishing meals. He's at that stage where snacks are more appealing than proper meals, and getting him to sit down for a full meal is a test of patience. So, I've been thinking of creative ways to make mealtimes fun and interesting to encourage him to finish his meals.

Another dilemma is managing feedings when we're out and about. Packaged foods and takeaway options are convenient, but I'm always mindful of the health and nutritional aspects. Balancing convenience with healthy eating habits is tricky, especially with young kids.

And finally, the age-old question of introducing new foods and spices! With so many opinions out there, it's confusing to know when to start and what's best for our children's palate development.

I'd love to hear everyone's experiences and solutions to these common feeding conundrums! It's great to have a space to share our stories and gather some helpful tips. Does anyone have any insightful strategies they've discovered?
Wow, you've listed out some really relatable feeding challenges! I can resonate with the difficulties of getting kids to focus on meals, especially with their short attention spans. It's like a daily adventure!

For me, one current hurdle is managing feeding times with a busy work schedule. Juggling meetings and deadlines while ensuring my child eats healthy, home-cooked meals is a constant struggle. I often feel guilty when I resort to quick fixes like frozen dinners or takeaway, even though they're convenient and tasty.

Another challenge is getting my little one to drink adequate water throughout the day. He's not a big fan of plain water and keeping him hydrated can be tough, especially in this humid weather! I'm curious to learn if others have had similar experiences and how they tackled them. Any creative solutions are welcome!

I'm not gonna lie; breastfeeding was a nightmare for me, especially in the beginning. Latching issues had me in tears many a time. It felt like an uphill battle, but I persevered because I wanted to breastfeed successfully. Turns out, the struggles were worth it, and I eventually overcame them. My advice? Seek help early if you're struggling; there's no shame in it! Get support from nurses, lactation consultants, or experienced mamas. Don't wait until you're overwhelmed; it's easier to fix issues when they arise rather than letting them escalate.

Now, my little one is past the baby stage, and we're tackling weaning. It's a whole new challenge - deciding on the right foods to introduce and ensuring she doesn't end up as a fussy eater. It's a whole new world of worries, but I'm determined to raise a healthy little foodie!

What about you? Any challenges related to feeding your little ones you'd like to discuss? We're in this together, mamas!
Good on you for seeking help early with your breastfeeding woes - many new mothers struggle and suffer in silence, often due to the fear of judgment or lack of support. It's great that you found the assistance you needed and kept going despite the challenges.

déterminée as ever, eh? Speaking of weaning, that's a whole different beast! I'm currently negotiating that very stage and it's a challenge to strike a balance - exposing her to different textures and flavours without letting her gorge on sugar-laden snacks or become too picky with her meals. And god forbid the notorious toddler 'no' phase strikes! That's a battle I'm sure many parents here would relate to.

Have you considered introducing your child to cooking? It might make weaning seem less daunting, and it's a great educational activity that encourages them to explore new foods. You could make it fun with cute, kid-friendly recipes or aprons!

Reactions: bananarama
Breastfeeding struggles can be daunting - but so comforting when you find a good support system! I'm glad that's sorted for now, and kudos to you for thinking of cooking as a weaning solution!

Cooking with toddlers is a fun way to expose them to different foods and textures, and it's an excellent educational activity - almost like a sensory play. They get to touch, smell, and sometimes taste all the ingredients and learn about them too!

I've been avoiding anything "cute and kid-friendly" so far - my go-to has been apron-less, mess-inducing, hands-on cooking experiences where she gets to squish and feel everything. It's funny how enthusiastic they get about the weirdest things - like mixing bowls and whisking!

The focus on taste buds development is a great idea; I might steal that! But yeah, the "no" phase hits hard sometimes, and that's when I break out the cute aprons and hats - full monty, chef style - anything to get them giggling and keep their spirits up!

It sounds like you've got a great approach to weaning and cooking with your little one! I love the idea of getting them involved without an apron, letting them feel the different textures - it's such a wonderful, sensory experience for them.

The no's can be overwhelming, but it's a great strategy to have some fun accessories up your sleeve to keep the experience lighthearted and enjoyable. I think involving them in the entire process, from shopping to preparing and then cooking/assembling, will really help with food acceptance too. It's wonderful to hear you're having so much fun with it!

What are some of the recipes or foods you've been preparing together? Any favorites yet?

I've been trying all sorts of recipes lately, but one of our favorites is homemade pizza! It's fun because you can get really creative with the toppings and let your little one choose some of their favorites. Mine loves adding olives and pineapple pieces, and we make it a game to balance them carefully onto the sauce without them sliding off!

We also enjoy making mini fruit and vegetable muffins which are great for snacks. I often purée any leftover veggies from dinner and sneak them in - zucchini and carrot work well and add some nice sweetness. My little helper likes arranging the muffin cases on the tray and spritzing the pan with cooking spray, and of course, licking the spoon is a big highlight!

Another one we enjoy together is making our own fish sticks. It's a great way to introduce fish which can be a tricky food group, and breading them yourself makes them nice and crispy without adding lots of oil or fat. I let my child dip them in some homemade tartar sauce too - a fun sensory experience with all the different textures.

It's such a lovely bond formed through cooking together, and I agree that it helps so much with food acceptance and understanding where our food comes from too!

I've been trying all sorts of recipes lately, but one of our favorites is homemade pizza! It's fun because you can get really creative with the toppings and let your little one choose some of their favorites. Mine loves adding olives and pineapple pieces, and we make it a game to balance them carefully onto the sauce without them sliding off!

We also enjoy making mini fruit and vegetable muffins which are great for snacks. I often purée any leftover veggies from dinner and sneak them in - zucchini and carrot work well and add some nice sweetness. My little helper likes arranging the muffin cases on the tray and spritzing the pan with cooking spray, and of course, licking the spoon is a big highlight!

Another one we enjoy together is making our own fish sticks. It's a great way to introduce fish which can be a tricky food group, and breading them yourself makes them nice and crispy without adding lots of oil or fat. I let my child dip them in some homemade tartar sauce too - a fun sensory experience with all the different textures.

It's such a lovely bond formed through cooking together, and I agree that it helps so much with food acceptance and understanding where our food comes from too!
That's a great idea to make pizza - a fun and customizable family meal that gets everyone involved and excited about creating their own additions.

I like how you sneaked in some veggies into the muffins, a brilliant way to ensure your little one still gets their nutrients! It's those little bonding moments in the kitchen that create lovely memories.

Fish can be tricky; good on you for finding a way to make it fun with homemade fish sticks and letting them dip it in sauce too. It's a great strategy, making otherwise mundane foods seem like an adventure!

That's a great idea to make pizza - a fun and customizable family meal that gets everyone involved and excited about creating their own additions.

I like how you sneaked in some veggies into the muffins, a brilliant way to ensure your little one still gets their nutrients! It's those little bonding moments in the kitchen that create lovely memories.

Fish can be tricky; good on you for finding a way to make it fun with homemade fish sticks and letting them dip it in sauce too. It's a great strategy, making otherwise mundane foods seem like an adventure!
bringing fun and customisation into the cooking process is such an excellent approach to pickier eaters - makes me think of those Japanese restaurants where you cook your meal at the table!

Pizza might have to be our next adventure - I've got some leftover roasted pumpkin that'd work well with some parmesan and pine nuts on a savoury pumpkin pizza. The kids could also add their own favourite herbs which is a nice little task for them, and a lesson in food flavours too!

It's lovely to hear about everyone's cooking adventures; it's such a nice way to connect with like-minded parents going through the same stages!

bringing fun and customisation into the cooking process is such an excellent approach to pickier eaters - makes me think of those Japanese restaurants where you cook your meal at the table!

Pizza might have to be our next adventure - I've got some leftover roasted pumpkin that'd work well with some parmesan and pine nuts on a savoury pumpkin pizza. The kids could also add their own favourite herbs which is a nice little task for them, and a lesson in food flavours too!

It's lovely to hear about everyone's cooking adventures; it's such a nice way to connect with like-minded parents going through the same stages!
it's heartwarming to discover these online mom connections and realize you're not alone in navigating the challenges.

Pumpkin pizza sounds delicious - a great autumnal twist to a classic! Customizable options for toppings are exciting for little ones, and I'm sure they'll love the interaction and creativity involved.

Parental guidance is essential though, especially when the oven's involved, but it's a wonderful educational opportunity too. Teaching them about herbs and spices and allowing them to explore their senses in choosing ingredients definitely makes cooking an adventure!

It's so true - cooking with kids can be a wonderful way to educate and bond with them. I love how you emphasize the learning opportunities involved in food preparation, especially when it comes to senses and ingredients. The enthusiasm for cooking grows with the excitement of customized toppings! It makes the wait till autumn tastes a lot more bearable :) The memories made are so worth any extra work involved.

I'm glad you agree - it's such a great way to spend time with the kids and teach them a few things too! Customizable meals are always a hit because they get to exercise their creativity and it makes the experience so much fun for them. Plus, the sense of achievement when they actually cook something themselves is awesome to see. And who knows - we might just foster the next junior masterchef in the family!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wisdom
I'm glad you agree - it's such a great way to spend time with the kids and teach them a few things too! Customizable meals are always a hit because they get to exercise their creativity and it makes the experience so much fun for them. Plus, the sense of achievement when they actually cook something themselves is awesome to see. And who knows - we might just foster the next junior masterchef in the family!
It's encouraging to see other parents going through the same phases and embracing the messes and memories made cooking with their little ones. Here's to many more culinary adventures, and may our budding young chefs enjoy every minute of it! (Ours will probably outcook us one day!)

It's encouraging to see other parents going through the same phases and embracing the messes and memories made cooking with their little ones. Here's to many more culinary adventures, and may our budding young chefs enjoy every minute of it! (Ours will probably outcook us one day!)
i think half the fun of cooking with kids is the excitement on their faces when they've helped prepare something delicious - and the other half is probably eating it! Culinary adventures are best shared, and I'm sure our kitchens will be abuzz with laughter and tasty treats for years to come. Here's to many more messy, memorable feasts in the making!

So very true - there's a lot of joy and satisfaction that comes from cooking with kids, and the mess is half the fun for them (and often, the worst part for us!). Here's to many more adventures in the kitchen! May we all create happy memories with our little ones.

So very true - there's a lot of joy and satisfaction that comes from cooking with kids, and the mess is half the fun for them (and often, the worst part for us!). Here's to many more adventures in the kitchen! May we all create happy memories with our little ones.
The pure unadulterated joy on their little faces makes the mess worthwhile Here's to the wonderful experiences and delicious surprises that await us in future cooking sessions.

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
All these shared culinary experiences remind me of the benefits of family cooking sessions - it really is a great way to connect and bond. The excitement of creating something yummy is such a delightful feeling to share! May your kitchen be filled with tasty experiments and lots of laughter!

It's heartwarming to hear how much you value the experience and the memories made during family cooking sessions. The joy of creating something delicious is a special kind of excitement. Here's to many more delightful kitchen adventures and happy memories in the making! May our dishes turn out just as we envisioned - delicious and aesthetically pleasing.

It's heartwarming to hear how much you value the experience and the memories made during family cooking sessions. The joy of creating something delicious is a special kind of excitement. Here's to many more delightful kitchen adventures and happy memories in the making! May our dishes turn out just as we envisioned - delicious and aesthetically pleasing.
The excitement of preparing a beautiful meal together is a great bonding experience. I love how you add aesthetically pleasing dishes to the mix! It's encouraging to hear these lovely narratives and personal touches shared by you guys. Here's to wishing everyone happy cooking experiments, full of flavor and fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu