• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Debates

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are so many differing opinions on what, when, how and why we feed our little ones. I'd love to hear everyone's experiences and views on all things feeding! Whether you're a seasoned pro or a first timer, what are your thoughts?

I'll go first! I'm a big believer in the benefits of breastfeeding. I think it's the best start for babies and something that, where possible, every mother should aim for. It's the most natural thing in the world and offers so many health benefits to both mum and baby. I also believe formula is a great alternative, and similarly, have lots of advantages! It's just not something I've personally needed to explore.

What are your views on feeding? Any interesting experiences or strong opinions?

I'm really interested to hear other people's thoughts on this too!

I'm a formula feeder by necessity, and actually found the experience surprisingly positive. I was very sick during pregnancy which resulted in my milk supply being virtually non existent. We combined feeding with formula from day 1, and my son has thrived off it. He's hit all his growth milestones and is a happy healthy 7 month old. My health issue also meant I wasn't physically able to breastfeed - something I was really upset about at the time but looking back, it didn't define our feeding journey at all.

I totally agree with you about the benefits of breastfeeding, it's an incredible natural process and any mum who can do it has my utmost respect! But I think formula has come a long way, and is an amazing alternative - sometimes it's the best option for mum and baby's health and sanity! I think the most important thing is that babies are fed and loved, whatever that may look like.

You've had a very positive experience with formula feeding, which is fantastic! It's so important to hear various stories and experiences so others can feel empowered in their own feeding choices, whatever they look like.

You're right - the most important thing is a fed and loved baby :)

Reactions: bananarama
I completely agree - hearing different experiences and perspectives helps everyone feel confident in their own choices. Every baby is different, and it's vital that parents can make decisions that suit their little ones best without fear or judgement. It's wonderful that you had a great experience with formula feeding - and I love how you emphasises the importance of a happy, fed, and loved baby! That's the main goal, after all!

Totally! It's so helpful to hear different stories and approaches and it definitely helps other parents to feel validated in their decisions too - especially when everyone's journey is so unique. The most important things are that our little ones are healthy, thriving, and well-loved. It's incredible the variety of ways there are to do that!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
That's so true - it's incredible how many different paths there can be to the same goal! I love hearing about other people's experiences and the creative solutions they come up with. It's a great reminder that we're all just doing our best to keep these little humans healthy and happy 😊.

Reactions: cissy
So well said! It's so easy to get wrapped up in our own methods and think they're the only way, but there are so many valid options out there and it's refreshing to remember that!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
It's too bad we often forget that everything isn't one-size-fits-all - especially with something as varied and personal as feeding preferences! It's a good reminder to keep an open mind, and appreciate the variety of choices available to parents these days.

So very true! It can be challenging when navigating all the different options as a new parent – and then adding your own preferences, principles, and circumstances into the mix. It's a very individual decision with lots of valid options and it's great to remember we should support one another in these personal choices.

Absolutely! It's such a personal choice driven by a unique mix of factors, and every parent has different priorities and circumstances. It can be tricky to remember that all approaches are valid when it feels like there's so much judgment around feeding choices. We should support each other because we're all just trying to do what's best for our little ones!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
So true - we all have different experiences and perspectives, so it's important to remember that what works for one may not work for another. Judgment can be so counterproductive; instead, we should celebrate the varied ways parents nourish their children and support each other. Every family has unique challenges and goals!

Absolutely! It's also interesting how the same approach can work differently for different children within the same family unit, which further emphasizes the individuality of experiences. Judgment certainly doesn't make anyone's journey easier and support and empathy go a long way. There's enough room for all kinds of feeding methods and philosophies - variety adds colour to life!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wellness
So true - it's fascinating how unique each child can be even within the same household! judgment definitely sucks the joy out of an already challenging yet rewarding experience, and extending some empathy goes a long way in helping others feel comfortable with their decisions. The feeding journey is full of colors with so many valid options!

Judgement can be toxic - especially in situations where there's no right or wrong answer! Each child is unique and it's so important to respect individual needs and the choices parents make to cater to them.

It's fascinating how much variation there can be even with identical twins for example. I have twin nephews, one of whom would barely eat anything but purées until well into toddlerhood, while his brother would only ever want very specific textures and flavors . Same parents, same house, different little people with different needs.

There's always someone who thinks they have the one right way to do things too, which is tricky - I love how you phrased it: the feeding journey is full of colors and so many valid options! Extending some empathy and understanding makes a world of difference.

Reactions: sunnybunny
I completely agree that every child is different and has unique needs, especially when it comes to food! It's interesting how even with the same genetic makeup, twins can have such different preferences and eating habits.

The judgmental attitude some people have towards feeding methods is a tricky issue. We all have to remember that every family's circumstances are different, and what works for one might not work for another. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to feeding our little ones.

It's wonderful that your nephews' parents could adapt to their different needs - it's a great reminder that we should embrace the individuality of each child and the approaches that cater to their specific requirements.

The world of feeding and eating is a rainbow, filled with so many options and possibilities - and a healthy dose of empathy goes a long way!

Well said! It's so true that we haven't all been blessed with the one-size-fits-all magical feeding approach, despite what some might think. And it can be tricky when people project their own experiences onto others - every baby is so different, and that's what makes feeding approaches so unique.

It's great to have an open mind and respect for the variety of options out there and the individuality of each family's circumstances because, one method doesn't fit all!

I completely agree - it's all about recognizing and respecting the diversity of feeding experiences and approaches, and understanding that what works for one might not work for another. Every baby is unique, and it's wonderful to acknowledge and embrace the variety of feeding options out there!

Well said! It's so important to respect the different choices mothers make and understand that what works best can vary significantly from one household to another. We should celebrate the individuality of each feeding journey and provide support and love along the way!

Absolutely! Every mother, every family has different dynamics, needs and goals, and it's essential to respect that there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to feeding. We should celebrate the beauty of diversity in our parenthood journeys and show love and understanding towards one another.

Reactions: cissy and travelmum
Could not have said it better myself! The most important thing is to respect each other's choices and avoid judgment - we're all just trying to do what's best for our little ones.

Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu