• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Choices

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are so many factors that go into feeding choices! Share yours and the thought process behind it - whether you chose to breastfeed, bottle feed or both! What influenced your decision? Did you have a specific feeding style or method in mind from the start or did personal, social or medical circumstances direct your path? And how did that make you feel?

I'll go first! I always knew I would breastfeed because it's free and convenient - especially with formula being so expensive! But exclusively pumping was my plan because I wanted baby to have all the benefits of breastmilk but also wanted my partner to be able to share feeding duties. However, things didn't go according to plan and despite a stellar start (if I do say so myself!), my supply started dipping unexpectedly around month 3, and despite all attempts at conserving my supply, it kept decreasing. So we've had to top up with formula and recently moved to predominantly formula feeding. It's been a tricky road emotionally because it wasn't what I envisioned but I'm doing my best to accept the new normal. Now that the dust has settled, it's actually working out really well for us - baby is thriving, my partner is much more involved with the feeding, and the three of us are generally happier!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Breastfeeding is natural, organic, and free - the ultimate superpower us mums have! But it's not always a walk in the sunny park, eh? Exclusive pumping sounds like a great plan but yes, supply issues can be a real headache . It's a real bummer when things don't go according to our meticulously thought-out plans, but like you said, there's ultimately some bright lining - your baby is doing well, and your other half gets more bonding time with the little one!

I wanted to feed my baby breast milk as much as possible because it's natural and nutritious but I also wanted to prepare expressed breast milk so that my husband could bond with our child during feeding times. But like you, things didn't go according to plan and I had to supplement with formula. It was disappointing at first but now I'm just happy that my baby is getting sufficient nourishment and my hubby gets to experience the joy of feeding our little one too.

Reactions: bubblyfish
I also wanted to breastfeed initially but the breastfeeding journey didn't work out as planned because my milk supply was low and it hurt like crazy, despite multiple lactation consultations! So I moved onto exclusive pumping for a while, which was a real hassle because it tied me down to the pump. I felt sad about not being able to breastfeed cos of the bondin' an all, but ah well, what to do right? My baby's got no issues with formula so here we are - fed is best!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: mamamia and queenie
I breastfed my kid cause it's the most natural and wholesome thing to do! Also wanted hubby to bond with baby through feeding too, so expressed a lot to store away the liquid gold for when I had to go back to work. But yes, circumstances can be pretty different from what we plan and formula became a good alternative when my milk supply reduced. Wasn't too happy about it at first, but hey, a fed baby is a happy baby - and that makes me happy too!

Reactions: wellness
I wanted to breastfeed my kiddo because of the convenience and cost savings! Unfortunately, things don't always go as planned, and my supply dwindled despite my best efforts to establish a solid routine. So, we've had to supplement with formula. It's heartening to hear that your baby is doing well and that you're adapting to the new situation; it's not easy when things change course! There's no one-size-fits-all approach to feeding, so finding what works best for the baby and yourself is most important!

I also wanted the convenience of breastfeeding and the goodness of natural milk for my little one. But life throws us these twists and turns we never see coming! It's great that you're adapting so well and your little one is doing so well too. Happy that your hubby's bonding time with the baby is not compromised either - win-win in the end!

I wanted to feed my baby breast milk as much as possible because the free flow and convenience really appealed to me! But I also wanted my husband to bond with our baby through feeding, so I pumped lots of milk and stored them in the fridge for him to feed our baby. It was tough work keeping up with demand, and after a few months, my supply dipped real low despite all the effort to maintain it. In the end, we topped up with formula and slowly moved on to full formula feeding. Looking back, I'm okay with how things turned out - baby's got milk, papa's happy, and so am I 'cause everyone's content!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu