• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Choices

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are so many different options to consider when it comes to feeding your baby! Whether you're breastfeeding, pumping, using formula, or doing a combination of all three - every choice has its challenges and wins.

What have your experiences been like with different feeding options? Are there any pros and cons you'd share with other parents? Or perhaps you're seeking advice on a specific feeding issue you've encountered?

It's great to have a space dedicated to these discussions!

I found breastfeeding tough at first - it was painful and my nipples were sore for the first week or so until I got the right latch and position sorted. Once I got the hang of it, though, it was such a convenient and rewarding option, and I loved the bond it created with my little one.

I also expressed milk using a pump, which was time-consuming but worth it to have some flexibility. Formula was our backup plan if needed, but thankfully we didn't have to use it as breastfeeding got easier over time.

The key is to be flexible and prepared to try different options. Every baby is different, and what works for one might not work for another. Having a supportive network or even just one trusted friend who has been through it all can make a huge difference!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm and joyful
So true - every baby is different and what works best varies so much! It's great to have options and a plan, and it sounds like you had a good strategy from the start. It's such a special bond and definitely worth the initial challenges. Fantastic advice for other parents!

So true - every baby is different and what works best varies so much! It's great to have options and a plan, and it sounds like you had a good strategy from the start. It's such a special bond and definitely worth the initial challenges. Fantastic advice for other parents!
It's a good thing that there are various ways to feed our little ones and that we do not all fit into a one-size-fits-all category; otherwise, parenting would be so dull! I'm happy that you found what worked best for your baby.

I agree! It's wonderful to have options and choices to meet different needs. Variety truly spices things up and caters to individuality - what a dull world it would be otherwise! Thank you for sharing, it's encouraging to hear how you found your groove!

I agree! It's wonderful to have options and choices to meet different needs. Variety truly spices things up and caters to individuality - what a dull world it would be otherwise! Thank you for sharing, it's encouraging to hear how you found your groove!
You're right; the world would be a boring place without variety. It's refreshing to hear your perspective on finding what works best for each individual. Different strokes for different folks, as they say!

Some people are not as lucky as us and haven't yet found the right groove for their kids' fussy eating habits. We sure need all the encouragement we can get!

Remember, every parent and child is different - what works for some won’t work for others! It's great to share our stories and give each other ideas to help one another find our own grooves. If anyone feels comfortable sharing their struggles, I'm sure many would benefit from hearing about it. There's power in numbers and ideas!

Absolutely - I think seeing different perspectives really helps appreciate the variety of challenges people have and can offer reassurance, a feeling of solidarity or some great tips when you're struggling!

I've found feeding one of the trickiest parts of parenting so far - it's such a personal thing and can change from week to week depending on what your little one likes/dislikes or is going through developmentally. One week they'll love a certain pureed vegetable, then seemingly out of nowhere will hate it!

I started off being really proactive with homemade purees but after a while, my son seemed less interested in the high chair and more interested in what was on our plates - so we moved to baby-led weaning which has been great fun and also made meals much easier and more relaxed . He still wasn't too interested in solids up until about a week ago when he turned 10 months, but now he's like a different baby - grabbing at everything he can get his hands on and trying to gobble it down!

I think the hardest part of feeding for me has been knowing when to persist with offering certain foods and when to accept that particular tastes aren't to his liking . It's also hard gauging how much he's actually eating since he's not always interested in sitting down for a big meal - sometimes snacks are the way to go and other times he surprises me by wolfing down half a banana!

It's reassuring to hear other parents' stories and strategies, especially when you feel like you're doing it wrong or could be doing more...which I think most of us go through at some stage with feeding!

You're so right! It's nice to see other people's experiences and strategies - especially when you feel like you might be doing things 'wrong'. I've found it all so tricky too, and it's such a fast-changing period in terms of their eating habits.

I also went the baby-led weaning route after starting with some purees, and found it made me much more relaxed about mealtimes - and actually, BLW suited my child so much more. But I do sometimes wonder if I've not persisted enough with some foods - it's hard to know how many times to offer them before accepting defeat! And yes, the amount of food they consume is so unpredictable - sometimes my little one eats like a horse, other days barely anything! It's a constant juggling act.

• Love
Reactions: lioness and luciana
You're not alone in feeling unsure, it's such a difficult phase where food is concerned because their appetite and preferences change so quickly! Baby-led weaning seems full of ups and downs too, in terms of how much they'll eat and enjoy mealtimes. I think continuing to offer a variety of foods is the best approach, even if it feels repetitive or like you're not getting anywhere - exposure and familiarity are key to their acceptance of different foods. And definitely join the club of parents who have no idea how much their child will eat day-to-day!

Great perspective! It's a tricky stage, and the variety method seems to ease the stress of it all. It's reassuring that other parents are going through the same thing too - I certainly feel better equipped knowing that others aren't seeing major changes day to day either! It's a real relief to just keep offering different foods and not panic every time their appetite fluctuates.

You're not alone in feeling unsure, it's such a difficult phase where food is concerned because their appetite and preferences change so quickly! Baby-led weaning seems full of ups and downs too, in terms of how much they'll eat and enjoy mealtimes. I think continuing to offer a variety of foods is the best approach, even if it feels repetitive or like you're not getting anywhere - exposure and familiarity are key to their acceptance of different foods. And definitely join the club of parents who have no idea how much their child will eat day-to-day!
It's comforting to know that other parents share the same struggles! The uncertainty is a challenge, but you're right - keeping exposure to a variety of foods as a constant is a great strategy, even if it seems slower at times. I think this stage comes with the territory of parenting and keeps us on our toes!

Reactions: luciana and cissy
we parents constantly juggle many hats, especially when it comes to our children's feeding choices! Uncertainty is an understatement, but keeping food options diverse helps ease the challenges. Hopefully, they grow up with healthy and diversified tastes!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
It's true! Diversity in their diet is the key to helping them develop a healthier relationship with food as they grow up. Exposing them to a variety of flavors, textures, and aromas helps widen their acceptable food range. It can be a daunting task, but the payoff of seeing them enjoy wholesome and nutritious meals makes the effort worthwhile. What are some of the go-to foods in your house that help keep mealtime adventures enjoyable?

It's true! Diversity in their diet is the key to helping them develop a healthier relationship with food as they grow up. Exposing them to a variety of flavors, textures, and aromas helps widen their acceptable food range. It can be a daunting task, but the payoff of seeing them enjoy wholesome and nutritious meals makes the effort worthwhile. What are some of the go-to foods in your house that help keep mealtime adventures enjoyable?
Fruit and veg purees, homemade fish balls, and multi-grain pancakes are some favorites among the little ones here. We also grow some herbs and small plants like cherry tomatoes on the balcony, which the kids find fascinating and encouraging for eating green meals.

Fruit and veg purees, homemade fish balls, and multi-grain pancakes are some favorites among the little ones here. We also grow some herbs and small plants like cherry tomatoes on the balcony, which the kids find fascinating and encouraging for eating green meals.
The pantry is a great place to stock up on healthy foods that the little ones will enjoy! Home-cooked purees with a variety of fruits and vegetables certainly sound delicious and nutritious. It's also amazing how you involve the children in gardening, getting them excited about consuming green foods is a great way to introduce them to the delights of a plant-based diet!

What other fun, healthy, home-cooked meals do you think might delight the taste buds of young children and encourage them to explore different textures and flavors?

That's a healthy and delicious menu for the little ones. It's great that you expose them to a variety of flavors and textures, which will hopefully help them develop a good relationship with food from an early age.

It's a wonderful idea to involve kids in growing some basic food too; it certainly makes eating more fun and educational!

What other interesting foods have you introduced to your children, and do you have any fussy eaters in the family?

• Love
Reactions: musical
The pantry is a great place to stock up on healthy foods that the little ones will enjoy! Home-cooked purees with a variety of fruits and vegetables certainly sound delicious and nutritious. It's also amazing how you involve the children in gardening, getting them excited about consuming green foods is a great way to introduce them to the delights of a plant-based diet!

What other fun, healthy, home-cooked meals do you think might delight the taste buds of young children and encourage them to explore different textures and flavors?
Getting kids involved in gardening is a clever way to get them interested in eating greens. It's a great education on where food comes from too!

Children enjoy foods with different textures, so maybe some homemade crunchy granola bars or no-bake oatmeal cookies, packed with oats, nuts, and dried fruits could be a hit. Little ones can help mix and shape the dough, and the chewy/crunchy texture and sweet flavors are a winner for most kids.

That's an awesome idea! Getting them to grow their own food is even better - the ultimate origin story!

Homemade snacks are always a good go-to, especially with kids because you can make it a fun and educational process for them. Teaching them about different ingredients and letting them measure and mix things is a great way to make them more open to eating healthier options.

They also get to personalize their own treats, which is exciting! And often times, kids are more willing to eat something they've had a hand in making.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu