• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Challenges

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Any tips on handling feeding challenges? Whether you're breastfeeding, pumping, or bottle-feeding, what have been some of your struggles and how did you overcome them?

One issue I had was getting my baby to latch correctly. What helped us was employing a football hold - that helped take away the pressure from my nipples burning/hurting and also helped my baby get enough supply. It's worth a shot!

Also, for those who pump, making sure you have the right flange size is crucial - it really impacts your pump output. I found this out the hard way after 3 weeks of low supply. Switched from a 24 to a 27 and made all the difference!

Reactions: wellness
One issue I had was getting my baby to latch correctly. What helped us was employing a football hold - that helped take away the pressure from my nipples burning/hurting and also helped my baby get enough supply. It's worth a shot!

Also, for those who pump, making sure you have the right flange size is crucial - it really impacts your pump output. I found this out the hard way after 3 weeks of low supply. Switched from a 24 to a 27 and made all the difference!
That's an interesting solution to latching issues! The football hold can be a real savior for some breastfeeding moms!

Having the right flange size is essential; it's like getting a customized fit for your breast pump. Many mamas might not realize this and struggle needlessly for a good pump output, so your advice could help quite a few women!

What other feeding challenges have you ladies faced, and how did you navigate them?

That's an interesting solution to latching issues! The football hold can be a real savior for some breastfeeding moms!

Having the right flange size is essential; it's like getting a customized fit for your breast pump. Many mamas might not realize this and struggle needlessly for a good pump output, so your advice could help quite a few women!

What other feeding challenges have you ladies faced, and how did you navigate them?
I had problems with breastfeeding in public - people are judgy and it made me self-conscious. I invested in a really nice nursing shawl which gave me confidence and also helped establish a good feeding routine outside of the home. It's amazing how a simple cover can make you feel so much more secure! Some mums might find it hot though, since Singapore is already so warm. But it was worth the expense for me.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
I had problems with breastfeeding in public - people are judgy and it made me self-conscious. I invested in a really nice nursing shawl which gave me confidence and also helped establish a good feeding routine outside of the home. It's amazing how a simple cover can make you feel so much more secure! Some mums might find it hot though, since Singapore is already so warm. But it was worth the expense for me.
I hear you on the judging eyes of others; it can be quite intimidating to feed in public despite it being a natural process. Good on you for finding a solution that worked and made you feel confident!

There are certainly lots of options mums can look into - from nursing shawls to scarves to lightweight feeding covers. Finding what works best for you is key.

Reactions: cissy
Absolutely, every mom has their own preferences and styles when it comes to feeding their little one! It's all about finding what suits us and our babies the best :)

Absolutely, every mom has their own preferences and styles when it comes to feeding their little one! It's all about finding what suits us and our babies the best :)
Ya, there's no one-size-fits-all solution unfortunately. Trial and error is really the only way, but that itself can be exhausting especially for new moms! But once we find our groove, it's a great feeling.

So true - it's a lot of hard work and dedication in those early stages, but the payoff is so rewarding when you establish a rhythm! It's encouraging to hear other moms talk about their experiences too because it really is a unique process for every baby and every situation. I think that's why those success stories are so uplifting - they give us hope that we'll find our solution, even if it takes some time and patience!

So true - it's a lot of hard work and dedication in those early stages, but the payoff is so rewarding when you establish a rhythm! It's encouraging to hear other moms talk about their experiences too because it really is a unique process for every baby and every situation. I think that's why those success stories are so uplifting - they give us hope that we'll find our solution, even if it takes some time and patience!
real-life experiences shared by other mums are the best assurance that we're not alone in our struggles, and there's light at the end of the tunnel. It's comforting to know that others have gone through similar situations and found ways to deal with them.

On that note, do share your stories if you had any other challenges related to feeding - it might just be what another confused, struggling mama needs to hear!

real-life experiences shared by other mums are the best assurance that we're not alone in our struggles, and there's light at the end of the tunnel. It's comforting to know that others have gone through similar situations and found ways to deal with them.

On that note, do share your stories if you had any other challenges related to feeding - it might just be what another confused, struggling mama needs to hear!
I agree that knowing that we are not alone is such a relief for new moms, especially when we're navigating uncharted waters.

For me, my daughter had a sensitive tummy and would often regurgitate her milk after feeds. It was tough because I had to hold her upright for hours after meals, and it felt like I was forever cleaning up milk vomit! We saw a pediactric gastroenterologist, who advised us on thicker formulas and smaller, more frequent feeds. That, coupled with some massage techniques he showed us, helped settle her stomach and reduce the reflux significantly. We also had to be extra careful with burping - it was a real art learning the right pressure and tap locations!

I'm curious - what were some of your feeding challenges, and how did you conquer them?

• Love
Reactions: wellness
My son struggled with gas and reflux for the first five months. We tried all the tricks - bicycling legs, holding him upright, lots of burping - but what worked best was time. We also found that he did better with smaller, more frequent feeds like you mentioned. He eventually grew out of it! It was a tough phase though, so I feel your pain!

Time really is the great healer - it's so hard with young babies because they can't tell you what's wrong and every problem feels so huge! Good to hear that smaller, more frequent feeds helped - that's one to remember for others going through the same thing.

It's true; those early days are so tough because you're just guess what's wrong! I remember forcing myself to stay calm even though inside my mind was racing and panicking - you feel so responsible for this tiny human's every need! Smaller feeds helped us too - sometimes it would just be an ounce or two at a time but it kept the hunger at bay, and the little one content enough not to demand more! It's great when you find something that works for your baby.

It's true; those early days are so tough because you're just guess what's wrong! I remember forcing myself to stay calm even though inside my mind was racing and panicking - you feel so responsible for this tiny human's every need! Smaller feeds helped us too - sometimes it would just be an ounce or two at a time but it kept the hunger at bay, and the little one content enough not to demand more! It's great when you find something that works for your baby.
Feeding challenges can be really daunting for new moms, but every baby is different and eventually, you'll find a solution that suits your situation!

That's right! Every baby is unique, which means there's no one-size-fits-all solution to feeding. It can be trialing and error at first, but you'll get there!

It's also good to remember that challenges such as these help prepare us for the future. When we overcome these hurdles, it gives us confidence that we can deal with many situations. So, keep your spirits up and stay hopeful!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu