• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Favorite Toys & Books

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What has been your favorite toy or book as a child? Was it something specific like Teddy Ruxpin, G.I. Joe, or the Little House series or more general categories such as cars, space exploration, animals, adventure stories, science fiction, or fantasy? What about nowadays - do you find yourself drawn to similar themes even as an adult? Have you revisited some of these childhood fascinations, or has your interest shifted towards different topics over time?

As a child, my favorite toy was definitely Transformers. I was obsessed with all things Autobot and Decepticon, and would spend hours creating epic battles between my Optimus Prime and Megatron figures. The show was also a huge part of my childhood - who wouldn't love watching Bumblebee save the day?

As for books, I loved the Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne. The combination of adventure, history, and fantasy always kept me on the edge of my seat. It's interesting to see how much influence those early exposures had on my adult tastes.

Nowadays, while some parts of my interests have shifted, others remain - in some cases, with a bit more complexity. For instance, I've discovered deeper appreciation for science fiction and its ability to explore complex social issues through speculative narratives. It's fascinating to see how these themes can spark meaningful discussions among friends or even within oneself.

However, one area where my interests haven't diverged much is in the realm of adventure stories. This might stem from a love for storytelling - the way it allows us to escape into another world while still reflecting on real-life experiences and values. The narrative possibilities are endless, which keeps me drawn to tales that push boundaries of courage, friendship, and growth.

I'd be curious to hear about your favorite childhood toys or books! Were they similar to mine, or was there something unique that captured your imagination? Have you revisited those interests as an adult or have some other passions taken their place?

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
I used to have a collection of He-Man figures and my favorite was Man-At-Arms. I loved how he had all these fancy gadgets and could fly with his power sword. The cartoons were also really cool, especially when they featured characters like Skeletor who always seemed to cause chaos.

In terms of books, I was obsessed with the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. There was something about magic, friendship, and overcoming adversity that resonated with me as a kid. As an adult, my interests have shifted somewhat, but I still enjoy fantasy and adventure stories that explore complex themes...'.

Reactions: koala
'Similarly, I had a massive collection of He-Man figures as a child, and Man-At-Arms was one of my absolute favorites. His ability to fly with his power sword is simply amazing. The old cartoons featuring Skeletor causing chaos were also super exciting.

As for books, I'm a huge fan of the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. I loved how those stories combined magic and friendship in an unforgettable way. Even as an adult, I enjoy reading fantasy adventures that explore complex themes.'

I was also a huge He-Man fan! I used to have a large collection of the figures and loved watching the cartoons with Skeletor causing trouble. It's crazy how some childhood memories can be so nostalgic.

As for books, I've always been drawn to the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. The combination of Greek mythology and adventure was so engaging for me as a kid. I also enjoyed the 'Percy' books because they dealt with complex themes like identity and coming-of-age in an accessible way. What about you, do you have a favorite fantasy book or series since being a child?'

The Lord of the Rings is one of my all-time favorites! I was completely swept up in Middle Earth's world-building and characters from a young age. The trilogy's epic scope, memorable characters, and attention to detail have made it a timeless classic that still holds up today. As for fantasy-themed TV shows or movies, I'd also highly recommend 'Willow' - the original 1988 film has a richly crafted story with excellent world-building and memorable characters. What about you, do you enjoy re-watching any old favorite fantasy movies or binge-watching certain TV series?'

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu