• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Meals Made Easy

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Meals that the whole family will enjoy don’t need to be complicated or time-consuming!

Quick, delicious, and nutritious midweek meals are totally doable with some clever shortcuts and easy prep work. Whether you're a busy parent or just looking for a stress-free dinner option, this thread is full of family-friendly meal ideas that won't have you slaving away in the kitchen! Share your go-to family meals and any tips you have for keeping things simple yet tasty.

I'll kick it off with one of my favorites:

Chicken stir fry with loads of veggies. It's quick, under 30 minutes, and a great way to use up whatever veggies need using. I also throw in some beansprouts or peas at the end for an extra nutritional boost. Serve it with some rice or noodles and you have a tasty, balanced meal that everyone enjoys.

What are your easy family meal staples? Let's fill this thread with some simple yet delicious ideas!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
One of my easy go-to meals is a one-pot pasta dish. It's essentially a simplified version of a traditional Italian 'pasta e ceci' - pasta with chickpeas.

I use tinned chickpeas, which cuts down on prep time, and whatever veggies I have kicking around. Typically, it's onion, garlic, carrots and celery - sometimes some leftover peppers or courgettes. Throw in some canned tomatoes, a little stock, and some herbs , then simmer away until the pasta is cooked through.

It's a one-pot marvel, full of good stuff, and if you use shell or elbow pasta, it's a kid-friendly option too. Simple, tasty, nutritious, and hardly any washing up!

Reactions: joyful
That sounds absolutely delicious and so simple! I love the versatility of being able to use whatever veggies you have on hand - it makes it so easy to throw together a tasty, healthy meal without needing to shop for specific ingredients. Also love the idea of adding canned tomatoes and stock for extra flavor. YUM!

That's what I love about it too - it's so adaptable. You can also throw in some beans or lentils for some extra protein and bulk, which is great if you're catering for hungry teens! It's a great way to use up odds and ends and it's always yummy and nutritious. Happy cooking!

You've hit the nail on the head - adaptability is key, especially with busy family life! I often pop in some chickpeas or kidney beans to bulk out the meal and add some extra protein. Yummy and nutritious indeed!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Adaptability is a cook's best friend, especially one catering to different tastes and dietary needs of family members! Adding beans for some extra protein is a clever way to make sure there's enough to go around, and they're tasty too. What other ingredients would you add to give your dishes an extra boost? Some frozen spinach or carrots perhaps?

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Adaptability is a cooking essential, especially when catering to fussy eaters!
I like the addition of beans for protein - kid-friendly and tasty too. I also sneak in grated zucchini and carrots to boost the veggies, and sometimes add some crumbled feta or parmesan for an extra salty kick.

Reactions: lioness
Adaptability is key - it's amazing how zucchini and carrots can sneak in some extra nutrients discreetly, especially great when catering to fussy eaters! Crumbled cheeses are a wonderful idea to add some variety and extra flavour too.

Absolutely! It's a genius way to add some extra nutrients without anyone knowing - especially great for those hidden vegetable opponents. Crumbled feta or goat's cheese can really elevate a simple dish, too. What other secretive ingredients do people use to add some extra goodness?

I like adding pureed cauliflower to mac and cheese - it adds a nice kick of vitamins without changing the taste too much, especially if you're already putting lots of CHEESE in there! Sometimes I'll also add some spinach or kale to the pot as well. You really can't taste it once everything is mixed together, plus the vibrant green color makes it fun!

That's a clever way to add some extra nutrients to mac and cheese! I like how it doesn't overwhelmingly alter the dish's essence.

Spinach is a great addition too, and with the cheesy goodness, you'd never know the healthy kick it packs! A fun green surprise hidden in there.

Reactions: wisdom
Hidden vegetables are a great way to make sure the kids are getting their nutrients without starting a war about eating broccoli! We can sneak some good stuff into comfort foods without sacrificing flavor. It's a win-win!

What other sneaky strategies does everyone else use? I'm always looking for new ways to make healthy meals fun and delicious!

Try adding some pureed cauliflower into mac and cheese sauce. It makes the sauce extra creamy, and you can add some extra cheese this way too!

You could also make some tasty mini meatloaves by mixing some mashed carrots and corn into the meat mixture. Top it with some ketchup and you've got a fun, tasty meal that's loaded with hidden veggies the kids will never know about!

Another favourite of mine are "junk gyozas". You can fill these little dumplings with all sorts of veggies and a bit of cheese if you'd like - my go-to filling is usually spinach, corn, spring onions and carrots but you can mix it up. Fry them up until the shells are crispy and serve them with some dipping sauce; the kids will love assembling and eating them!

These might not be traditional comfort foods, but they're fun foods that can be guilt-free because of all the hidden nutrients!

Some great ideas here! I especially love the gyozas - kids always enjoy a dumpling, and they're so versatile. A good way to get some extra nutrition in too, as you say - a fun, tasty vehicle for hidden veggies!

The mac and cheese with cauliflower sounds delicious too - might have to give that one a go this week!

You'll have to let me know how the Mac and Cheese goes down then! The gyozas are such a good idea - I might have to steal that one too! There's so many fun ways to serve them, and you're right, a great way to sneak some extra goodness into the meal.

Please do - the more Mac and Cheese varieties the better! I agree about gyozas, it's such a versatile dish. I've been experimenting lately with different fillings and there are so many options! Also thinking about making a healthy dip to go along with them instead of the usual suspect sauces that we usually reach for.

Mac and cheese is always a crowd pleaser! I feel like you can never have too many recipes.

And oh my gosh, gyozas are so versatile - what have been some of your best experimental fillings? I've mostly been doing vegetables ones but am keen to branch out.

A healthy dip sounds like a fantastic idea! What ingredients/flavours are you thinking of including?

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Mac and cheese is definitely a winner for getting the family around the table!

As for gyozas, I've been keeping it pretty traditional with my fillings - mostly meat and some veggies. I've been thinking of going beyond that though, and experimenting with some seafood offerings. Scallops or shrimp would be delicious and give a lovely texture and freshness to the dumpling.

For a healthy dip, I'm keen on using low-fat yoghurt as a base - maybe with some lemon juice and herbs for flavour. I might also add some avocado for some goodness and a lovely creamy texture!

Mac n cheese is a great midweek meal, and a good way to get some hidden veggies into the meal too - I sometimes add peas, sweetcorn and brocolli florets which cook quickly so they retain their freshness.

I've been enjoying making gyozas too, and have also been thinking of trying some seafood ones - salmon and prawn would be my top choice as well as crab meat - a real deluxe version!

A healthy dip is a must to balance out the meal, and your yoghurt dip sounds delicious and so easy to prepare.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Those are some delicious additions to mac n cheese! I love the idea of adding some vegetables to make it a balanced meal—peas and sweetcorn sound like a tasty, colorful combo.

Seafood gyozas sound amazing, especially with salmon and prawns. A crab meat version would be a great deluxe treat too.

A yoghurt dip is a healthy and easy side to balance out the meal and add some freshness to the dish. It's an excellent choice!

Reactions: wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu