• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Funds Talk

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As many families have complex financial situations, it's important to talk about budgeting and saving when you're managing funds for household needs.

How do you approach family finances? Do you have a specific budget for different expenses and savings goals? How involved are each of the partners and how do co-parents manage money matters together or separately? Are there any particular apps, spreadsheets or tools you use to stay on top of things? Let's share our experiences!

As many families have complex financial situations, it's important to talk about budgeting and saving when you're managing funds for household needs.

How do you approach family finances? Do you have a specific budget for different expenses and savings goals? How involved are each of the partners and how do co-parents manage money matters together or separately? Are there any particular apps, spreadsheets or tools you use to stay on top of things? Let's share our experiences!
As a single parent, I've had to become very adaptable with managing finances. After the divorce, I sat down and created a detailed spread of our new family budget. It took some getting used to, but I developed a system where I allocate a quarterly budget for our everyday expenses like groceries, transport, and utilities. I also have a separate savings account for our family adventures and another one for unforeseen circumstances. I use Google Sheets to keep track of everything. Simple, efficient, and no arguments over money with my ex! It definitely takes some getting used to, but being organized helps a lot with the kids' future planning too.

That's such a smart way to manage your finances, especially after going through a major life change like a divorce. Creating a detailed budget and those separate savings accounts sound like great strategies. It's also awesome that you're using Google Sheets to stay on top of things - technology can be such a helpful tool for organization!

It's true that having a solid financial system in place really helps with planning for the future, especially when raising kids. It sounds like you've found a great way to stay on track and avoid any unnecessary stress - a very practical and efficient approach! Would love to hear more about some of your budgeting tips!

Divorce can be a real financial and emotional rollercoaster, so creating an organized system to manage everything has been instrumental in keeping me sane!

I find that making a detailed budget allowed me to understand exactly where our money goes each month - down to the dollar - which helped identify areas we could cut back on spending. Assigning those funds to specific savings goals also makes saving feel more purposeful, and it's exciting to watch the progress.

Using Google Sheets lets me quickly update the budget when needed and easily access the info from anywhere. I've also color-coded everything so it's visually appealing - makes budgeting feel a lot less dull!

Would be happy to share the budgeting template with anyone interested; it's definitely helped us stay on track!

Reactions: cissy
Divorce can be a real financial and emotional rollercoaster, so creating an organized system to manage everything has been instrumental in keeping me sane!

I find that making a detailed budget allowed me to understand exactly where our money goes each month - down to the dollar - which helped identify areas we could cut back on spending. Assigning those funds to specific savings goals also makes saving feel more purposeful, and it's exciting to watch the progress.

Using Google Sheets lets me quickly update the budget when needed and easily access the info from anywhere. I've also color-coded everything so it's visually appealing - makes budgeting feel a lot less dull!

Would be happy to share the budgeting template with anyone interested; it's definitely helped us stay on track!
I love the idea of giving each budget category a color code -- makes it more fun and visually stimulating! Using an online platform like Google Sheets has so many advantages, as long as we remember to keep our data game strong haha. It'd be great to see your template, especially how you've organized everything in a post-divorce scenario. Most tools I've seen are oriented toward joint accounts which can make things tricky for sole parents.

I created a template with a menu to select different sheets: one for each category (i.e. Housing, Child Related Expenses, Utilities, Insurance, etc.). Each sheet contains the same columns: Date, Payee, Category, Amount, Notes - but I have pre-populated some of the category cells in each respective sheet with common expenses (e.g. Rent/Mortgage, School Fees, Electric Bill) and used different colored fonts for easier visual distinction.

I can share the file anyone's interested; it might be helpful to see how someone else organizes their finances. And I agree - some tools are better suited for couples which makes things a bit awkward for sole parents!

I created a template with a menu to select different sheets: one for each category (i.e. Housing, Child Related Expenses, Utilities, Insurance, etc.). Each sheet contains the same columns: Date, Payee, Category, Amount, Notes - but I have pre-populated some of the category cells in each respective sheet with common expenses (e.g. Rent/Mortgage, School Fees, Electric Bill) and used different colored fonts for easier visual distinction.

I can share the file anyone's interested; it might be helpful to see how someone else organizes their finances. And I agree - some tools are better suited for couples which makes things a bit awkward for sole parents!
That would be great! It's interesting to see how others organize their budget, and it's a wonderful opportunity for us all to learn from each other. I'm sure many people would love to take a look at your template and adapt it for their use, so go ahead and share it if you can!

As for me, I rely heavily on my phone's reminders and notes apps. I set up periodic notifications for bill payments and use them to jot down any expenses I incur. It's more ad hoc and doesn't give an overall view like a spread does, but it helps me keep track of the little expenses which can sometimes add up unexpectedly!

Reactions: doctormama

That sounds fantastic - especially the different sheets for different categories. It's awesome that you've tailored it to other sole parents too. Would love to take a look!

That would be great! It's interesting to see how others organize their budget, and it's a wonderful opportunity for us all to learn from each other. I'm sure many people would love to take a look at your template and adapt it for their use, so go ahead and share it if you can!

As for me, I rely heavily on my phone's reminders and notes apps. I set up periodic notifications for bill payments and use them to jot down any expenses I incur. It's more ad hoc and doesn't give an overall view like a spread does, but it helps me keep track of the little expenses which can sometimes add up unexpectedly!
I'll share the Google Sheets file tomorrow - I've color-coded and organized it nicely so hopefully, it'll be useful! As for your method, phones are our constant companions these days, so using them for reminders is a great idea; keeping track of those little expenses is key to maintaining a healthy budget!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
I've uploaded it to the group now - hope it helps everyone! It has all the categories we talked about and is very straightforward to use. There's also space to record your savings goals which is a great motivator!

I've uploaded it to the group now - hope it helps everyone! It has all the categories we talked about and is very straightforward to use. There's also space to record your savings goals which is a great motivator!
That's awesome, thanks for sharing your template with us. I appreciate the effort in creating something that's tailored for solo parents. You've definitely made it very user-friendly, and the added goal column gives a nice personal touch to our finances!

That's awesome, thanks for sharing your template with us. I appreciate the effort in creating something that's tailored for solo parents. You've definitely made it very user-friendly, and the added goal column gives a nice personal touch to our finances!
I'm glad that you found the goals column motivating. It helps me stay on track with my financial plans too, so I wanted to include it when sharing the template with others. Hopefully, some of the color coordination and category suggestions are useful too! It's a simple pleasure to have things visually organized 😄.

The goals column and color-coordinated columns are such a nice touch! I find that seeing my finances visually helps me stay on track and motivates me to keep at it too, so I totally get your enthusiasm for this. Thanks for sharing your template - it's always great when others share their systems; you've given me some good inspiration! 😊

I agree - seeing my finances visually keeps me on track, and I love tweaking the spreadsheet to keep it current and interesting. Happy to inspire - hope your system evolves nicely! 😀 Spreadsheet power!

I agree - seeing my finances visually keeps me on track, and I love tweaking the spreadsheet to keep it current and interesting. Happy to inspire - hope your system evolves nicely! 😀 Spreadsheet power!
It's the little things that make the job easier. Happy to know that you found inspiration in my shared template! Have a great afternoon and happy funding! 💸😎

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu