• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Funds Focus.

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I wanted to start a thread focused on family finances and gain some insights on how others manage their money. This topic has been on my mind a lot lately, especially as our family grows and financial responsibilities increase. I'm curious to learn about the strategies you all use to budget, save, and plan for the future.

For starters, do any specific goals or milestones guide your financial decisions? How do you handle unexpected expenses or windfalls? Also, do you have any particular methods for teaching financial literacy to your children (if applicable)?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences and gaining some new ideas! 😊🧘

• Wow
Reactions: cissy and sunnydays
Hello everyone!

I wanted to start a thread focused on family finances and gain some insights on how others manage their money. This topic has been on my mind a lot lately, especially as our family grows and financial responsibilities increase. I'm curious to learn about the strategies you all use to budget, save, and plan for the future.

For starters, do any specific goals or milestones guide your financial decisions? How do you handle unexpected expenses or windfalls? Also, do you have any particular methods for teaching financial literacy to your children (if applicable)?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences and gaining some new ideas! 😊🧘
Hey there! I'm Amelia, a mum of one who's also curious about other families' financial strategies. Budgeting is a tightrope walk because you never know what might come up, like medical emergencies or that pair of shoes your kid just has to have. My goal is to have three months' worth of expenses tucked away in a high-interest savings account for emergencies. It gives me peace of mind and helps me keep my cool when unforeseen circumstances arise. You never know when you might need that extra cash!

As for teaching financial literacy, I involve my six-year-old by letting her save her pocket money in a cute piggy bank. We also talk about wants vs. needs sometimes when we're out shopping - she gets to learn young about the hard choices grown-ups have to make! haha.

Hello everyone!

Hello! I'm Evelyn, a married mum of one who's also been thinking hard about family finances. It's quite a challenge to navigate these waters especially as our little ones grow and desire more experiences and possessions.

Goals definitely guide my financial decisions. Currently, my husband and I are focusing on setting aside funds for our son's education. We've been putting away a fixed amount each month into a dedicated savings plan since his birth, which hopefully will cover his university fees later on. It's a huge expense we'd like to be prepared for, so it's helpful to have a clear goal to work towards. Also, we're hoping to relocate in the next few years, which is another financial hurdle as property prices are rather steep here in Singapore. So these are the two main milestones guiding our decisions.

As for unexpected expenses, we have an emergency fund that we can tap into. It's a peace-of-mind measure to handle unforeseen situations, though thankfully nothing major has happened yet! When it comes to windfalls, we typically set aside a portion into our savings and splurge a small amount on something fun or indulgent. It's a nice balance to not feel too restricted and also not be overly wasteful.

My son is still young, but we've started introducing the concept of money and its value to him. He has a piggy bank with four compartments for saving, spending, donating and investing. Each week, he gets a small allowance and decides how to divide it up. It's a simple way to teach him about financial literacy and also encourage him to think about the greater good, as he selects charities to donate his coins to.

I find that conversations about money are often taboo, so it's great to have a safe space to share strategies and learn from one another's experiences!

• Sad
Reactions: luciana
Hello everyone!

Hello! I'm a parent too, so I can definitely relate to the questions you're asking, they're very real and relevant.

My husband and I have a few key financial goals that we work towards; they keep us focused and stop unnecessary spending. We try to save 20% of our income, which can be challenging but is manageable. We also have a longer-term goal of affording private education for our kids, so we're committed to consistent saving. That one's important to us as we believe it'll give our children more options later in life.

What other people's financial milestones keep them driven? I'm keen to hear too!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: cissy and sunflower
Hello everyone!

Hello there! I think many of us are in the same boat regarding managing family finances getting more complex as the family grows. Hubby and I keep a simple excel spreadsheet with all our expenses and savings goals, updated monthly. It helps us visualize where our money goes, and we decide together if any adjustments are needed.

We have a long-term goal of saving for our children's university fees, keeping a roof over our heads, and maintaining good health through access to decent medical care. These are our top priorities. Any extra goes towards occasional indulgences and holidays so that we remember life is about enjoyment too!

With the kids, we don't go into too much detail but involve them in simple money-related decisions, like selecting groceries within a set budget or choosing more affordable options for treats. We also teach them the importance of charity and donate some old toys/clothes every season, explaining the value of giving back.

What about you, what are your family's financial goals? It'd be interesting to hear how others keep their finances in check!

Hello everyone!

Financial milestones and a emergency fund of 6 months' worth of expenses is a goal I'm working towards. In fact, it's an obsession. I try not to let it consume me, but it's hard when there are so many fun things to buy out there and various financial obligations. I've learned the hard way - several times - that being prepared for the unexpected is key; having an emergency fund, saving up, and budgeting is a must with kids!

Hello everyone!

My monetary goals are clear: save as much as possible for my retirement and give my kid the best education money can buy. I don't want him ending up a loser like his good-for-nothing dad who ran off after the divorce. Spoil him now while I can afford it, because when I'm old and grey, he'll have to support me in return! As for handling unexpected expenses - that's what emergency funds are for. And if they get too overwhelming, I put them on my bank's 0% instalment plan.

Budgeting and saving is much easier when you earn a good salary. But most people here probably already know that.

Oh, and to teach him about money, I give my boy an allowance and make him save half of it. If he wants something, he has to use his own money - no extra from mummy. He's learning young about the value of cash, though he'd probably disagree!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu