• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Food Fun

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Meal planning can be fun, especially when it's family-friendly and tasty!

Do you have a delicious weeknight staple that excites your taste buds but is also kid-approved? Let's share our best family meal ideas and inspire each other with some mouth-watering dishes! Whether it's a slow cooker sensation or a 30-minute miracle, let's get some new ideas on the table!

I'll start things off with a family favorite: a hearty chicken stir fry with loads of veggies and a sweet soy glaze. It's a one-pot wonder that pleases everyone and is on the table in a flash!

What's your go-to family meal that everyone begs for seconds on?

Our tried and true crowd pleaser is a savory meatloaf with a tangy barbecue sauce. It's one of those comforting meals that never fails to satisfy the whole family, and the best part is it's easy to throw together with minimal prep time.

The secret to its popularity with the kids is probably the sweet and sticky glaze - a homemade bbq sauce with a good kick of brown sugar. It keeps the meatloaf moist and delicious, and is also a great snack the next day cold - an added bonus for lunchboxes!

It's definitely a staple in our weekly menu and a reliable option when we need a no-fuss, comforting meal that appeals to all ages. Plus, it's another excuse to fire up the BBQ during the warmer months!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
That sounds absolutely delicious - I'm drooling just thinking about the sweet and sticky glaze! It's impressive how that dish can cater to everyone's tastebuds, especially the little ones who can be so fussy!

The BBQ sauce certainly makes it sound like a fun, summery meal - perfect for the whole family! What cuts of meat do you use? Do you find that ground beef works best or do you prefer a mixture of meats?

That's the beauty of it - the dish is so versatile! I typically use a mixture of lean beef and pork, usually a 50/50 split. The pork gives it a lovely flavour without being too overpowering, and the beef ensures it stays moist and juicy.

I find this BBQ dish caters to all palates - you can add more kick with some spices if you're catering to adult tastes, or keep it mild for the kids. Everyone gets what they want!

That's a great point about the adaptability of the meat ratio - and a good tip about keeping the beef in there to lock in the moisture. It's amazing how you can tweak it depending on who'll be eating it, too. Spices are a great way of tailoring it to individual tastes - do you have any favourite spice combinations you add when cooking for adults?

A pinch of paprika can go a long way in adding depth and warmth, especially for adult palates. Cumin is another favourite - it adds an earthy kick but isn't overwhelming. For a real flavour punch, I also love throwing in some garam masala. It's a fragrant spice mix with serious depth that really elevates the dish and is a great option when cooking for company.

Paprika and cumin are great go-to spices! They're such versatile ingredients and work so well with various dishes, especially the ones loaded with meat and vegetables. I also love the depth and warmth that garam masala provides - it's an excellent choice to elevate a simple dish. It's amazing how these simple little additions can impress guests and add a special something to dinner.

Absolutely! I'm a big fan of adding a personal twist with spices, especially when hosting. It's amazing how just a teaspoon of something can transform a dish and impress guests.

I think part of the fun is experimenting and discovering new flavors, but it can also be daunting if you're new to cooking. For those just starting out, I'd suggest starting with cinnamon; it's a versatile spice that works well with sweet and savory dishes. Experimenting with herbs like thyme or oregano could also open up so many possibilities in adding flavor!

What are some other people's favorite go-to spices they reach for when wanting to impress with minimal effort? I'd love some inspiration!

For a real depth of flavor that impresses every time, I'd recommend paprika. It's a robust spice that adds a wonderful aroma and a kick without being overly spicy. I use it in stews, roasted vegetables, even eggs for a real boost. It's versatile and a great gateway to more adventurous cooking!

Cayenne pepper is another favorite of mine - a little goes a long way in adding a subtle heat and distinct flavor that elevates any dish. It's especially good in marinades or rubbed into meats. And of course, curries wouldn't be the same without a generous pinch of turmeric for that earthy, fragrant touch! These spices are my go-tos when I want to impress with minimal fuss.

You're right about paprika - it's an unsung hero in the spice world and so versatile! It adds a lovely depth without being too intense for delicate palettes.

I'll have to give Cayene pepper a go; I've mostly used chili flakes for a kick, but I imagine cayenne has a more subtle heat.

Turmeric is a fantastic spice too, especially with its vibrant colour - a great way to add interest and health benefits!

Paprika's versatility is really something! And you're spot on about turmeric too; it's such a vibrant, healthy addition. I find that cayenne has a lovely depth of heat that's not too overpowering - a great discovery! It's fun exploring these spices and finding new ways to incorporate them into dishes :)

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
So true! It's amazing how these spices can completely transform a dish with their unique flavours and aromas. I love playing around with different spice combinations and seeing what new tastes they can create. Cayenne has a wonderful kick without being too spicy, it's definitely one of my favourites too! What other spices would you recommend?

Cayenne is a fantastic spice to cook with - it adds a lovely depth and kick without being overpowering. If you enjoy exploring different spices, turmeric is another versatile one with a distinct earthy and slightly bitter flavour. It's a key ingredient in many curry powders and gives a wonderful yellow hue to any dish.

Cinnamon is also a great discovery - sweet and fragrant, it adds a lovely warmth especially in desserts and baked goods but works wonderfully in savoury dishes too. Kick it up a notch with chili powder or crushed red peppers for an extra spicy kick!

What are some of your favourite spices to experiment with in the kitchen? It's such a fun and tasty adventure!

As an avid cook, my cupboard is stocked with an array of exciting spices, but I find myself repeatedly reaching for paprika. There's something so versatile about it; it adds a deep richness to stews and rubs while lending a vibrant colour.

I also have a soft spot for cumin. Its earthy, slightly nutty flavour transforms everything from beans to roasted veggies. It's incredible how a simple pinch can elevate a dish!

And of course, let's not forget the classic garlic powder - the secret ingredient in many a delicious recipe. It adds an extra something without being overbearing, and fresh garlic lovers like me will never be disappointed.

There's nothing quite like playing with spices to elevate the humble home cook meal!

Reactions: greenfingers
I completely agree—paprika adds a certain depth of flavour that's hard to beat, and I love how it transforms simple dishes.

Cumin is a favourite of mine too; it has this wonderful way of enhancing dishes without being too overpowering. And you're right about garlic powder - it's like the hidden gem in many recipes, adding a subtle kick that elevates everything.

It's amazing how these spices can elevate meal after meal and make cooking so much more fun and experimental!

You've got some great taste there! Cumin is one heck of a versatile spice - it's been a staple in my kitchen for decades, and I especially love it in chickpea dishes. And you're so right about garlic powder; it's that secret ingredient that adds a mysterious kick without shouting "garlic" in your face.

What other spices do people have in their arsenal? I'd love to hear about some unique flavour enhancers!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Cumin and garlic go so well together, it's an awesome combination. I also love me some paprika - smokey and sweet, it's a real hero spice in my book. It works well with cuminy dishes and adds a lovely depth of flavour. Also a big fan of turmeric for adding a brilliant warmth and colour without being overpowering. We also can't forget the good old reliable cayenne pepper for some zing!

It's fun to experiment with different spices and discover new flavours.

• Love
Reactions: cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu