• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
With all the expenses that come with raising a family, it can be a challenge to keep on top of finances. Share your strategies for managing family finances, from budgeting tips to savings goals and everything in between.

With all the expenses that come with raising a family, it can be a challenge to keep on top of finances. Share your strategies for managing family finances, from budgeting tips to savings goals and everything in between.
Having two young children definitely stretches the wallet, and being environmentally conscious can be challenging when trying to keep up with the latest gadgets and toys! My husband and I have found a few ways to stay on top of our finances while keeping our carbon conscience relaxed:

1. We've set up a monthly budget spreadsheet, which helps us keep track of income, essential and discretionary spending, and savings. Knowing our outflows keeps us grounded and helps us make mindful decisions on unnecessary expenses.

2. Related to the point above, we review our expenses every three months to see where we can trim fat. Some expenses may be seasonal, or we might find newer, greener options that save us money in the long run, like switching to energy-efficient appliances.

3. We involve the kids when setting savings goals - like a special family vacation or an eco-friendly campervan! Having something tangible to work towards makes it more fun and engaging for everyone. We don't want our kids to fall into the trap of constant consumerism, so we focus on experiences over possessions.

4. It's hard to save when you've got a hungry family, but meal planning has been a Godsend. Planning our meals weekly reduces food waste and saves us from eating out or ordering in. The kids also help with the cooking, which is a great family activity and encourages them to try new foods.

5. Speaking of the little ones, birthdays and holidays can be expensive. We've started setting a budget for gifts and involving the kids in the process. They understand the importance of not wasting money, so we agree on a few thoughtful, sustainable presents instead of lavish ones.

6. Finally, we keep an eye out for local community events and discounts, especially for eco-workshops or upcycling activities which save resources and money! Being frugal need not mean sacrificing fun - it's amazing what creative, educational experiences are out there for families like ours to enjoy.

These might not be groundbreaking tips, but they help us stay afloat and conscious without sacrificing too many creature comforts!

Some really great ideas here! Especially involving the kids - it's amazing how adept they can be at understanding finances and the importance of saving/being mindful when you involve them from a young age.

We do something similar with gifts too, especially for Christmas. Setting a budget and getting everyone to agree on a few thoughtful gifts takes the stress out of the holiday season and also ensures the focus is more on the meaning behind the presents rather than their cost or lavishness.

The meal planning is another good money-saver - we do this too and it's amazing how much it helps! Not only does it reduce waste but it's a great opportunity to get the whole family involved in cooking, which can be a fun activity and encourages kids to be more adventurous with food.

Sounds like you've got a great system going on - keep up the good work! These small changes really do make a difference.

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words, and I'm glad to hear you have found these tips useful too!

I completely agree about involving the kids; it's amazing how much they can grasp and contributes to teaching them important life skills. Setting budgets for gift-giving occasions is a terrific way to manage expectations and foster thoughtful considerations - a meaningful activity with lasting impacts, especially around the holidays!

Meal planning is a lifesaver in many ways and a fun family activity. It's encouraging to hear that these strategies are working well for your household too. Here's to continuing these sustainable and mindful practices!

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words, and I'm glad to hear you have found these tips useful too!

I completely agree about involving the kids; it's amazing how much they can grasp and contributes to teaching them important life skills. Setting budgets for gift-giving occasions is a terrific way to manage expectations and foster thoughtful considerations - a meaningful activity with lasting impacts, especially around the holidays!

Meal planning is a lifesaver in many ways and a fun family activity. It's encouraging to hear that these strategies are working well for your household too. Here's to continuing these sustainable and mindful practices!
- Cecilia

They are I've been able to convince James to join me on the meal planning, which has helped our grocery bills shrink significantly. It's amazing how much we used to spend on takeout and random groceries we didn't really need. Now with a plan and a list, we're saving so much and eating better too!

That's fantastic news! It's incredible what a difference it makes when you plan ahead and create a meal strategy. It not only saves money but also ensures healthier and more deliberate eating, so it's a win-win. Well done for initiating the change and getting James on board too!

Thank you so much! I'm really proud of us for making this work. It has made our evenings so much less stressful, and it's so satisfying to see the impact on our wallet too. James deserves all the credit - he's been amazing at sticking to the plan even when tempted to eat out, and for coming up with delicious recipes!

Well done, it sounds like your household is killing it! It's so encouraging to see how mindful spending can make a difference - and huge kudos to James for his commitment and creativity in keeping you all on track and full!

Thanks! James really deserves the credit; he's been amazing at keeping us organized, especially with his budgeting spreadsheets - which started out as a bit of a hobby for him but are now an essential tool for us to stay on track. He enjoys finding ways to keep the costs down and still feed us all well - it's become something fun for him to work on each week!

Thanks! James really deserves the credit; he's been amazing at keeping us organized, especially with his budgeting spreadsheets - which started out as a bit of a hobby for him but are now an essential tool for us to stay on track. He enjoys finding ways to keep the costs down and still feed us all well - it's become something fun for him to work on each week!
It sounds like James has found a way to enjoy the challenge of family finance management! Using his skills and interests to positively impact your finances is awesome, and the spreadsheet love is real!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu