• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I wanted to start a conversation about managing family finances - it's such a crucial aspect of keeping our households afloat and yet sometimes it can feel overwhelming!

With kids, bills and unexpected expenses, it can be a challenge to keep our heads above water. I'm interested in hearing how others approach their family finances - what strategies do you use to stay organized and on track?

For example, I've found that creating a detailed monthly budget has helped me immensely in understanding where our money goes. Knowing our spending patterns helps me identify areas we can cut back, plus it ensures we have some wiggle room for unexpected costs.

What other techniques or habits help keep your family finances running smoothly? Any budgeting tips to share? Let's pool our knowledge together!

Creating a monthly budget is a fantastic strategy - it's a great way to gain clarity on spending and plan for the unexpected. I agree it can be overwhelming otherwise!

I use a budgeting app which helps keep track of expenses and also lets me set savings goals. It has a simple interface where I can input different categories like groceries, utilities, entertainment etc., and allocate budgets accordingly. The best part is it sends me notifications if I go over budget in any area, which keeps my spending in check!

Also, a tip that's helped me stay on track is to ensure I have a small 'emergency fund' that I contribute to every month, for those unforeseen circumstances. It gives peace of mind and stops them from becoming full-blown crises.

It'd be great to hear other strategies too - especially how people organize their bills and whether they have any fun money-saving hacks!

Reactions: travelmum
That's a great tip about having an emergency fund, it's a solid strategy to stay prepared.

I also use a budgeting app - it has a feature where you can set up bill reminders, which is super helpful for staying on top of due dates and keeping organized. I don't usually struggle to remember to pay them, but it's a good failsafe and means I never have any late fees.

In terms of saving, I tend to shop around more for big ticket items - like appliances or insurance etc. I find you can save a lot by doing some comparisons, and it's a good habit to get into. Also, meal planning has become my new favourite money-saving hack. It stops me from buying takeaways or eating out, which can quickly eat into your budget.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has any really creative ways they save!

For saving, one thing that's worked well for me is paying my future self first -- essentially, mimicking the experience of being paid into a separate high-interest savings account.

Each month, I put money aside into a dedicated 'Future Treats' account, which I use to save up for larger purchases or experiences . It's a great mental hack because it helps me visualise saving towards something specific and stops me from dipping into my main account when the temptation to splurge arises.

I also try to make sure the money goes further by researching and snapping up any good deals on offer, especially for experiences like city breaks or restaurant bookings. Being flexible with dates and times can often get you some great savings too!

25-tips-to-save-money-this-christmas.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
That's a clever idea! Visualising the savings goal is so important, and 'Future Treats' sounds like a fun and motivational way to do it.

I also love the mindset of paying yourself first - prioritizing your savings like that is a great way to ensure you don't accidentally spend the money you want to put aside.

It's amazing how far a little research can go in saving money too; some deals can be fantastic!

What do others think? Do you have any other saving tips to share?

Reactions: bubblyfish
Visualising savings goals is a great hack! It's an encouragement to stay on track and helps keep our eyes on the prize. I second the paying-yourself-first strategy - it's amazing how quickly those hidden 'someday funds' add up when you make them a priority.

And yes, the right research can uncover some brilliant money-saving deals; sometimes, a simple price comparison can save us a pretty penny! I also try to negotiate discounts where I can - never hurts to ask, and it's surprising how often they're successful!

One of my other go-to strategies is batch cooking. Shopping for ingredients in bulk and preparing large meals on the cheap can last me a whole week - it's a great way to save money and time! Also worth noting are the old-school money envelopes for those impulse buyers among us; seeing the cash we've set aside physically might help curb some of those non-essential purchases.

Always keen to hear other people's tips on this front, so do share! Some fresh ideas would be brilliant!

Reactions: musical
Visual motivation is a great idea - especially with savings goals as it can feel like a real slog sometimes! I've never been very successful at negotiation, so that's an area I need to work on - good call!

I'm a big fan of meal planning too - reducing those impulse take away orders which can rack up quickly. And you're right about the time saving aspect too; it's great to have a few go-to meals that are inexpensive and easy to throw together.

I've been using an app recently which helps me keep track of my spending, any money coming in, bills due etc - highly recommend finding one that works for you as it keeps everything in check. I also give myself weekly 'pocket money' which I'm allowed to spend on anything - within reason - and it's amazing how much more carefully you consider purchases when you know that's all the extraneous cash you have for the week!

Visual motivation is key - a friend of mine put up a giant white board in her kitchen with savings goals and dates and it really kept them focused.

I feel you on the negotiation; it's a skill I've had to teach myself over time but practice really does help!

Meal planning is such a great habit to get into, and yes - the time saving aspect is a huge bonus. It's so nice to have something you can just throw together when you're tired and just want something simple.

I've been hearing a lot about apps recently - might have to jump on that train! weekly pocket money is a brilliant idea, that's something I need to implement - it's amazing the difference it makes mentally, doesn't it?

• Love
Reactions: lioness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu