• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
How does your family manage their finances? Are you the only one involved in financial decision-making, or does it involve every member of the family? What are some of the challenges you've faced trying to instill financial discipline in the household and how have you overcome them?
Share your experiences and strategies for a successful family financial dynamic.

I'm lucky cause everyone in the family has a say when it comes to financial decisions. We do our best to ensure we're all on the same page and contribute meaningful ideas. It helps that we're all quite frugal and practical by nature, so there's less likelihood of extravagance or unnecessary spending.

But it can get tricky when needs differ, like my little ones' desire for toys and treats vs. the older folks' emphasis on saving for emergencies. We try our best to find a balance and explain the whys behind our decisions, even if it means saying no sometimes. Also, with the internet and media exposure, there's always that pressure to keep up with the latest trends, which can be challenging when budgeting.

To counter this, we've implemented a family budget review session every two weeks where we go through our expenses, discuss what we can cut down on, and allocate funds for the upcoming pay cycle. This way, everyone feels involved, and we can adjust our spending habits regularly and keep them in check. We make sure everyone has a chance to voice their 'must-haves' and 'nice to haves'. It's an ongoing process, but so far, this system seems to work well for us!

Financial decisions at home are made jointly by my partner and me. We try to be open and transparent about money, so everyone has a good idea of our financial health.

One challenge we faced was during the time when we tried to save for our kid's university fees, which can be pretty pricey these days. It was tough keeping up the discipline to put away that much money consistently, but we did it by cutting back on non-essentials and finding cheaper alternatives for entertainment and leisure.

We also involved the kids in some of the discussions about money, so they understood the importance of saving and didn't just think money grew on trees! It's important for them to know that everything comes at a cost, and there's no such thing as a free lunch.

We could also then brainstorm together on how best to achieve our savings goals as a family. It helped that everyone had a say and felt involved.

Reactions: travelmum
For us, it's quite simple - we have a family budget that we try to stick to. We involve everyone when making big financial decisions so that we all understand the implications and trade-offs.

It can be challenging to keep everyone on the same page, especially when it comes to impulsive buying, but we've found some workarounds. We try our best to manage these desires by setting aside a small fun budget each month for each family member - that way, no one feels left out or restrained, and we can still largely stick to our larger financial goals as a family.

Everyone understands that unnecessary big-ticket items will have to be carefully considered and discussed! So far, this method has worked well for us and keeps the peace at home.

• Haha
Reactions: nature
Ahh family finances, everyone's got their own system right? In our household, it mostly falls on me to manage the funds - not that I mind though! I like keeping track of our money, finding deals and figuring out how best to allocate our budget.

It helps that we kinda all share the same financial goals so there's not much argument or convincing needed when it comes to big purchases or expenses. We're lucky that way - everyone's pretty disciplined and frugal in their own ways.

I think the only real challenge is when one of us wants something pricier, like a new gadget or an impulse purchase. We've had to learn to manage those urges and discuss if it's really necessary, especially since these things can add up quick and throw us off track. But yeah, we're all pretty reasonable so we just talk it through and find a good middle ground.

I think the key is having an open and honest chat about money regularly - not scary or formal, just casual like what to eat for dinner - so everyone's on the same page. Money talks shouldn't be a taboo!

My family has an open culture when it comes to finances. Anyone in the household can join in on financial decision-making, though it's often Mum who takes the lead. She's real good with money and keeps track of all the expenses.

We've always been quite prudent with our spending, so no major challenges there. But I think the key is having an honest and transparent conversation about money from the start and being mindful of our wants vs needs. Also helps to have a family member who's good at budgeting and keeping us in check! We just listen to her when she says we can't afford something or it's not a wise decision.

It also helps that we don't really do impulse buying - if it's not necessary, we don't buy it. And if we do indulge occasionally, we'll just save up first and make sure we can afford it without touching our emergency funds.

• Love
Reactions: koala and joyful
In our household chiming in with their two cents isn't unusual. Everyone has different views on how to best spend or save but that's good cause it means we consider many viewpoints.

The tricky part is when someone wants something pricey - like that new iPhone - which can start a big debate! But we've learnt to handle these situations without too much drama. We just make sure everyone's voice is heard loud and clear so we can reach a cool-headed agreement.

maxresdefault.jpg

University fees very scary man. My sister also just graduated, so I know the pain haha. But ya, like you said, involve every family member in financial discussions so everybody understand and appreciate the value of money - then they no sudden have high expectations or something impossible. Also makes them feel involved and like their opinions matter.

It's good to hear that you've found a system that works for you!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Our approach is quite straightforward - having a budget and getting everyone onboard with it - but it's surprisingly effective!

We find that including everyone in the bigger financial decisions helps everyone grasp the whys and hows, and that keeps impulsiveness at bay. And you know, everyone has a little fun money for the month, so no one feels left out doing some impulse shopping - within reason, of course! We make it clear that big-ticket items need proper consideration, and that's generally stuck. So far, so good; everyone knows the drill and we avoid domestic disagreements.

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
Our approach is quite straightforward - having a budget and getting everyone onboard with it - but it's surprisingly effective!

We find that including everyone in the bigger financial decisions helps everyone grasp the whys and hows, and that keeps impulsiveness at bay. And you know, everyone has a little fun money for the month, so no one feels left out doing some impulse shopping - within reason, of course! We make it clear that big-ticket items need proper consideration, and that's generally stuck. So far, so good; everyone knows the drill and we avoid domestic disagreements.
Our budget strategy sounds quite similar - simple but effective! Including everyone in financial decisions is definitely the way to go. Keeps everything transparent and minimizes those last-minute surprises. And yup, having that little fun money allocation goes a long way too - everyone enjoys some impulse buying now and then! It's a good system you've got going on.

University fees are a daunting prospect, but it's great that you and your partner are proactive in involving every family member in financial talks.

Keeping up the discipline to save is definitely challenging, but it seems like you've found a good middle ground by cutting back on non-essentials. Gets everyone involved and keeps the family financially literate too - no easy expectations and a win in terms of fostering an understanding of the value of money!

The way you've gotten the kids onboard and invested in the family's financial goals is commendable, no easy feat! Would be interesting to hear their cost-cutting suggestions haha.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu