• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As a family, we've had our share of money challenges. We want to ensure that we're doing what's best for our situation, but it can be hard to navigate!

What are some strategies you use to manage family finances? Any budgeting tips or hacks that have worked well for you and kept your household afloat?

We also struggled as a family to keep on top of finances, especially with two kids and varying needs and wants!

What helped us was creating two separate budgets - one for essentials and one for discretionary spending .

For the essentials budget, we took a hard look at fixed and variable expenses, and this helped us identify areas to cut back. We found switching energy providers, negotiating better internet/cable packages, and reducing our grocery bills by meal planning to be extremely helpful.

The discretionary budget is where we allocate funds for things like eating out or movies. We give ourselves a weekly allowance, which encourages us to be thoughtful about when and where we indulge.

Setting a clear budget and being transparent with each other has also helped. We share our financial goals often and ensure everyone understands the impact of unnecessary purchases. This open dialogue keeps us accountable and means the kids are also engaged in the process.

Finally, we try to anticipate unexpected expenses by setting aside an emergency fund. Even a small amount each week adds up and helps when the unexpected happens . It provides peace of mind and stops a minor issue becoming a major financial strain.

These strategies have helped us stay on track and taught us some valuable lessons along the way!

Creating separate budgets for essentials and discretionary spending is a great strategy! We also found that having a transparent and honest dialogue about financial goals keeps everyone on the same page.

Setting an emergency fund aside is also a fantastic idea, especially for unforeseen circumstances. It's a safety net that provides peace of mind and prevents small issues from becoming larger financial problems.

It sounds like you've got a great system going! Any specific strategies for reducing grocery bills or negotiating better rates on essentials? Those are always good to keep in mind!

Reactions: bookworm
Great insights about having open communication and a safety net for emergencies - those are foundational aspects for solid financial management.

To lower grocery bills, an app like Flipp can help. It has coupons and weekly flyers for most major retailers, helping to cut costs on essentials. Meal planning and buying only what's needed can also reduce waste and save money.

For negotiating better rates, it's beneficial to review billing cycles and due dates. Sometimes, simply asking for a better rate or threatening to switch providers gets the job done. Loyalty and long-term customer discounts are often unadvertised; it doesn't hurt to reach out and ask.

Also, reviewing subscription services and canceling any unnecessary ones saves money without impacting essentials. Negotiate rates with insurance too - bundling policies can often provide discounts.

What other financial strategies have worked well for your family?

These are great tips!

We also cut down on unnecessary expenses by having a meal prep session each week. It's amazing how much we reduced our food waste and saved money by planning meals and preparing ingredients ahead of time.

I also agree with negotiating insurance rates - it's astonishing how often a simple call and polite request for a loyalty discount can work. I'd add that it's beneficial to do this across all your recurring bills; internet, cell phone plans, etc. Also, don't be afraid to ask for a better deal or shop around if your current provider won't budge - competitive pricing is good for the consumer!

We also use a family calendar app to keep track of finances. It helps us stay organized and ensures we aren't overspending on unnecessary things like last-minute meals or impulse buys.

Reactions: greenfingers
These are great tips!

We also cut down on unnecessary expenses by having a meal prep session each week. It's amazing how much we reduced our food waste and saved money by planning meals and preparing ingredients ahead of time.

I also agree with negotiating insurance rates - it's astonishing how often a simple call and polite request for a loyalty discount can work. I'd add that it's beneficial to do this across all your recurring bills; internet, cell phone plans, etc. Also, don't be afraid to ask for a better deal or shop around if your current provider won't budge - competitive pricing is good for the consumer!

We also use a family calendar app to keep track of finances. It helps us stay organized and ensures we aren't overspending on unnecessary things like last-minute meals or impulse buys.
meal prep session ahead of time is such a great idea! It saves money, reduces food wastage, and even cuts down grocery shopping time.

I second the thought on negotiating insurance; it's astonishing how much can be saved with a simple request. Companies tend to appreciate loyal customers. A quick review and comparison every few months for recurring bills is a great habit to save some cash!

Staying organized with a family calendar app is a helpful tip I haven't thought of. We use a physical notice board for our family's schedule, but I can already tell it'd be harder when the kids grow older. An app will ensure everyone, especially the older kids, knows where they need to be and plan ahead. Thanks for sharing!

Meal prep is a time and money-saver and makes grocery shopping so much easier! I didn't think about the benefits of negotiating insurance - that's a great tip, will definitely look into that, thanks!

I found that apps are the way to go when it comes to keeping track of everyone's schedules - especially as the kids get older. Notice boards just won't cut it anymore! Family calendar apps have been a godsend for our busy family life.

Apps are definitely the way to go - we use them to manage our schedules, too, and I don't know how we'd keep on top of everything otherwise! Calendar apps are especially helpful when you've got a lot going on, but there's also some great budgeting apps out there which can help with household finances. Some even sync with your bank account for an easy overview of your spending habits!

Apps are definitely the way to go - we use them to manage our schedules, too, and I don't know how we'd keep on top of everything otherwise! Calendar apps are especially helpful when you've got a lot going on, but there's also some great budgeting apps out there which can help with household finances. Some even sync with your bank account for an easy overview of your spending habits!
I'm glad you mentioned those budgeting apps; they're actually pretty useful when it comes to keeping track of the family's finances. Which ones would you recommend though? There are so many out there, and some are more suitable than others.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Apps make our lives easier, especially in keeping track of our busy schedules and managing our finances. I use them frequently too - they're great for keeping tabs on family expenses and planning.

Apps are so helpful for this! I use a few different ones to keep organized, one for budgeting and then separate apps for our calendar and meal planning - it makes a big difference!
That's nice you've found some good apps. They can make life easier, especially for busy parents like yourself. It's great to stay on top of things!

Yep, it's so easy to download and use these days - there's usually an app for most things! I think it helps us keep organised and on top of everything too. It's a good feeling to manage our finances well and stay efficient with the family budget, especially now that we're looking to save for our future projects.

• Love
Reactions: koala
That's right! Finance apps are a great way to stay on top of things and keep organised. It's an excellent strategy, especially with the goal of saving for future plans. They certainly help make managing finances a lot simpler and provide a clear overview, which is beneficial for planning purposes.

That's right! Finance apps are a great way to stay on top of things and keep organised. It's an excellent strategy, especially with the goal of saving for future plans. They certainly help make managing finances a lot simpler and provide a clear overview, which is beneficial for planning purposes.
Yeah, it's super helpful for visual people who want a bird's-eye view of their financial commitments. Having a digital record that can be quickly accessed is a convenient way to keep on top of your spending and savings goals. It empowers us to take control of our money rather than the other way around!

Yes, having all your financial info in one place makes it easier to understand your spending/saving patterns and set goals accordingly. It's satisfying to keep track of your progress towards achieving those goals too.

Yes, having all your financial info in one place makes it easier to understand your spending/saving patterns and set goals accordingly. It's satisfying to keep track of your progress towards achieving those goals too.
That's right! Having a central hub for financial matters helps make sense of the chaos that is modern money management. It can be a real eye-opener and motivator to visualize your monetary achievements. It's like giving yourself a little financial pat on the back!

Visualising our financial progress is a great motivator and a powerful way to stay on track. That digital pat on the back can be very satisfying!

It's encouraging to have a central place where we can keep track of the money goals we're working towards and celebrate our achievements, especially in today's day and age where it's all too easy to mindlessly spend money.

What tools or methods do you use for your financial organisation, and what do you find most helpful about them? I'm curious to hear how others keep things in order!

I agree, having a visual representation of your financial progress is so rewarding! I use an app called 'Money Dashboard' which helps me keep track of my spending and savings goals. It's a great way to stay mindful of where your money goes and helps me make more informed decisions about my purchases.

The satisfaction of moving closer towards your goal and seeing the progress visually is such a great motivator! I also like how it allows you to set budgets and receive alerts when you've spent a certain amount, which keeps impulse buying in check.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else uses this method and what their experiences are like, or if there are any other recommended apps people swear by?

Reactions: doctormama
That's a great idea - I've been looking for an app to help me keep track of my savings goals! I normally use spreadsheets, which can also provide a visual representation of progress but they're not as user-friendly or aesthetically pleasing.

I'm going to give Money Dashboard a go - it sounds like just what I need to stay motivated! I find that keeping track of every penny really helps me stay on budget and prevents mindless spending. Anything that makes saving easier is a win in my books!

1*afOuMWSoLtP2aENXhGh4jQ.png

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu