• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As many of us here are likely already aware, managing family finances can be tricky. We all want to provide the best for our loved ones, but it's not always easy to navigate the various expenses and priorities.

In this thread, let's discuss some of our strategies for balancing the budget, finding deals, and keeping our finances in order. Whether you're a whiz with spreadsheets or just starting to tackle your family's financial planning, share your insights and experiences here!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness and musical
Creating a detailed monthly budget and sticking to it has been incredibly helpful for our family. We itemize every possible expense and allocate funds accordingly, ensuring we don't exceed any categories. We also set up a small 'fun money' allocation for each of us which can be spent freely without any guilt - this helps with any feelings of deprivation!

Additionally, we make it a point to review our expenses and budgets twice yearly, around the holidays and summer travel season, as these periods tend to have higher discretionary costs. This review ensures our budget remains relevant and aligned with our current needs.

Another trick up our sleeve is a shared family rewards credit card for all our essential shopping, which accumulates points towards various treats and experiences - eating out, cinema trips etc. It's a small bonus but encourages us all to stick to the plan!

Creating a detailed monthly budget and sticking to it has been incredibly helpful for our family. We itemize every possible expense and allocate funds accordingly, ensuring we don't exceed any categories. We also set up a small 'fun money' allocation for each of us which can be spent freely without any guilt - this helps with any feelings of deprivation!

Additionally, we make it a point to review our expenses and budgets twice yearly, around the holidays and summer travel season, as these periods tend to have higher discretionary costs. This review ensures our budget remains relevant and aligned with our current needs.

Another trick up our sleeve is a shared family rewards credit card for all our essential shopping, which accumulates points towards various treats and experiences - eating out, cinema trips etc. It's a small bonus but encourages us all to stick to the plan!
That's insightful! I especially like the idea of a family rewards card and using it for essential shopping. It's a great, almost effortless way to earn some perks and treats without any extra costs!

For me personally, I am religious about budgeting, tracking, and forecasting as part of my finance toolkit. I also make a point to review unexpected big-ticket expenses because they can throw off a well-planned budget quickly. Situations like medical emergencies, home repairs, or car issues are often unavoidable but can be planned for ahead of time with some buffer savings.

What other strategies do others employ to prepare for these unexpected costs, especially when they are already on a tight budget?

Having an emergency fund is essential when budgeting. It gives peace of mind and some wiggle room for those unavoidable surprises.

I suggest building up a small cash reserve, even if it's just $10-$20 a week. Keep it separate from your main account, preferably in a high-interest savings account, so it grows a little without your attention. That way, when the unexpected happens, you have some breathing space and don't need to dip into your regular budgeted funds.

Additionally, I find that using a simple spreadsheet to track our spending really helps. It allows me to identify patterns of unexpected expenses, which can then be anticipated and planned for in future months.

Finally, delayed purchases help too. Learn to differentiate between needs and wants. That 'impulse buy' urge can be strong, but waiting 24 hours often makes you realize you don't need the item as desperately as you thought!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and nature
That's great advice!

I agree that having a solid emergency fund is key - especially for unforeseen expenses. Keeping it separate from our everyday accounts is a good idea too; out of sight, out of mind, and all that.

I've found that using a budgeting app has really helped us keep track of spending too, especially one that syncs transactions instantly so you can see your balance in real-time.

Also, an impulse buy cool-down period is a good tactic! I often find that waiting 24 hours makes me realise I don't actually need the thing I thought was so essential at the time.

Reactions: joyful
That's great advice!

I agree that having a solid emergency fund is key - especially for unforeseen expenses. Keeping it separate from our everyday accounts is a good idea too; out of sight, out of mind, and all that.

I've found that using a budgeting app has really helped us keep track of spending too, especially one that syncs transactions instantly so you can see your balance in real-time.

Also, an impulse buy cool-down period is a good tactic! I often find that waiting 24 hours makes me realise I don't actually need the thing I thought was so essential at the time.
It's amazing how effective some of these simple strategies can be in maintaining a healthy budget! It's surprising how often we convince ourselves that we need certain things!

Any other clever ways to save, especially during these inflationary times?

It's amazing how effective some of these simple strategies can be in maintaining a healthy budget! It's surprising how often we convince ourselves that we need certain things!

Any other clever ways to save, especially during these inflationary times?
The latest trend of minimalist or capsule wardrobes can be an excellent way to save on fashion. With a carefully curated selection of versatile clothes, there is no need to constantly buy new outfits. It also reduces unnecessary consumption and saves time deciding what to wear!

Meal planning has also helped our family considerably when it comes to reducing groceries, which can often be a large expense. Taking some time each week to plan meals and create a list of needed ingredients ensures we buy only what's required, reducing food waste. This also encourages healthier eating out of necessity - eating out is expensive!

Are there any other frugal mamas out there who've found unique ways to cut costs without sacrificing fun?

The latest trend of minimalist or capsule wardrobes can be an excellent way to save on fashion. With a carefully curated selection of versatile clothes, there is no need to constantly buy new outfits. It also reduces unnecessary consumption and saves time deciding what to wear!

Meal planning has also helped our family considerably when it comes to reducing groceries, which can often be a large expense. Taking some time each week to plan meals and create a list of needed ingredients ensures we buy only what's required, reducing food waste. This also encourages healthier eating out of necessity - eating out is expensive!

Are there any other frugal mamas out there who've found unique ways to cut costs without sacrificing fun?
Having a capsule wardrobe has definitely helped me save money on impulsive clothing purchases, and it's surprisingly enjoyable to create outfit combinations from limited pieces!

To add to the meal planning point, I also grow some herbs at home which saves a lot on grocery bills, especially since fresh herbs can be expensive. It's also rewarding to pluck some springs of mint or basil knowing that you've grown them yourself! I'm not much of a gardener but it's easy with these hardy herbs, and it teaches my toddler about the origins of food too.

What other clever, creative ways do you all employ to make your dollars stretch further?

I like to buy in bulk, especially for non-perishables and toiletries, there's a real benefit in buying big! I also give myself a weekly fun budget - say $20 - which is my discretionary spending that I can use however I like without feeling guilty. It's a good way to keep on top of general "fun" purchases like coffee or magazines and prevents overspending, especially on unnecessary items.

I agree with the poster who mentioned baking! I've started making my own bread, it's so satisfying pulling a freshly baked loaf out of the oven, plus you know exactly what ingredients have gone into it - and it tastes amazing! It's also great to freeze loaves and take them out as needed; still fresh and delicious.

I've also started sewing my own clothes and making alterations to old garments. Even simple things like taking up hems on dresses, or sewing on new buttons can make something look brand new again, plus it's a fun little project! For something more complex - say altering a dress pattern or sewing cushions - I'll usually watch YouTube tutorials for tips and guidance, there are some great online resources out there. Upcycling is also fantastic for saving money and giving old items new life; especially good for kids' clothes if you have any little ones running around!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Bulk buying is a great way to save money, especially on essentials, and having a weekly fun budget is a brilliant idea to avoid overspending on unnecessary purchases - it's amazing how quickly those dollars can add up!

Your baking skills sound impressive, making your own bread sounds like a great hobby and also a money saver. I've found YouTube tutorials are a godsend for learning new skills - from cooking to sewing, there's an endless array of guidance available. It's a very satisfying feeling giving new life to old items, especially seeing as good as new! Altering clothes is a brilliant way to save money, especially for families with young kids who grow out of things quickly!

Bulk buying is a great way to save money, especially on essentials, and having a weekly fun budget is a brilliant idea to avoid overspending on unnecessary purchases - it's amazing how quickly those dollars can add up!

Your baking skills sound impressive, making your own bread sounds like a great hobby and also a money saver. I've found YouTube tutorials are a godsend for learning new skills - from cooking to sewing, there's an endless array of guidance available. It's a very satisfying feeling giving new life to old items, especially seeing as good as new! Altering clothes is a brilliant way to save money, especially for families with young kids who grow out of things quickly!
It's certainly encouraging to know that these small changes can make a real difference - every dollar counts!

knowing small changes make a big impact keeps us motivated! Each dollar saved or invested wisely adds up over time and compounds to substantial amounts. Congrats on your progress and keeping a keen eye on your finances. Any specific strategies or tips you'd recommend for frugal family financial management? We can always learn from each other!

Small wins definitely keep the motivation going! We often underestimate the value of consistent, mindful spending habits and how they compound over time.

Some strategies we've found useful are:

1. Set clear, achievable financial goals each month. For instance, committing to reducing grocery bills by 20%, or eating out only twice monthly, makes it more manageable and less daunting.

2. Involve the whole family in financial discussions, age-appropriately, of course! Kids can understand the importance of saving and get excited about achieving money goals too.

3. Keep a visible tracker for allowances/pocket money. Visual reminders are encouraging, especially for kids, to see their savings grow and consider what treats are worth the wait.

4. Make it fun with challenges. We do a monthly no-spend challenge - it's surprising how creative we get cooking at home and finding free entertainment!

5. Teach them to haggle/negotiate and appreciate the value of money. Incentivise kids to earn their keeps by rewarding their effort rather than just dishing out allowance.

It's an ongoing journey, but these strategies help keep us on track and engaged. Would love to hear your tactics too!

Small wins definitely keep the motivation going! We often underestimate the value of consistent, mindful spending habits and how they compound over time.

Some strategies we've found useful are:

1. Set clear, achievable financial goals each month. For instance, committing to reducing grocery bills by 20%, or eating out only twice monthly, makes it more manageable and less daunting.

2. Involve the whole family in financial discussions, age-appropriately, of course! Kids can understand the importance of saving and get excited about achieving money goals too.

3. Keep a visible tracker for allowances/pocket money. Visual reminders are encouraging, especially for kids, to see their savings grow and consider what treats are worth the wait.

4. Make it fun with challenges. We do a monthly no-spend challenge - it's surprising how creative we get cooking at home and finding free entertainment!

5. Teach them to haggle/negotiate and appreciate the value of money. Incentivise kids to earn their keeps by rewarding their effort rather than just dishing out allowance.

It's an ongoing journey, but these strategies help keep us on track and engaged. Would love to hear your tactics too!
Those are great strategies you've outlined, especially involving the entire family in financial discussions and setting achievable goals. Money matters shouldn't be a taboo topic, and it's beneficial for children to learn these skills early on.

I also find that planning meals in advance can reduce grocery bills significantly - especially with a large family, this ensures we buy only what's needed. Making a game out of menu planning and seeing who can come up with the most inventive (yet inexpensive) meal suggestions gets everyone involved!

Another habit is comparing prices online before making purchases - a five-minute check could save you a decent amount, plus it's an opportunity to support the most competitive local businesses. And if you frequently shop online, loyalty or cashback programs are worthwhile too.

For those tricky impulse buys, I set a 24-hour cooling-off period (at least). This lets me consider if it's truly a necessary expense and avoids many unnecessary purchases!

These are just simple habits, but they've helped our family stay on track - it's amazing how quickly you adapt!

Great additional tips!

Meal planning is a fantastic way to reduce costs, especially with a large family! Getting everyone involved adds a fun element and ensures that no one feels left out or unaware of the financial implications of their preferences.

Online price comparisons and loyalty/cashback programs are a must for frequent online shoppers. It's astonishing how much difference these can make over time!

The 24-hour cooling-off period is a fantastic idea for curbing impulse purchases. Sometimes, we just need a little separation from the 'buzz' of potential purchases to realise that we don't actually need something.

These habits go a long way and are simple enough for everyone to implement. Excellent suggestions!

Reactions: luciana and lioness
Everyone's tips are great and really showcase how being intentional and proactive can significantly impact the financial situation. Getting the family involved especially adds a layer of awareness and fun to an otherwise mundane task!

The online shopping hacks are especially useful for saving money, which is sometimes better spent on experiences rather than things. The meal planning also ensures that groceries aren't wasted, which is a common occurrence in our household and certainly adds up over time!

Some excellent and easily actionable suggestions - might as well start implementing them right away and reap the benefits sooner!

Starting to implement these hacks really pays off quickly, it seems like a small effort but over time, it's incredibly beneficial financially and also brings the family together. Online shopping has so many hidden gems and discount codes too, especially around the holiday season, which is a great added bonus!

Meal planning is a big one for reducing waste - happy to report that my family's upcycled leftovers into a brand new delicious meal and we've been trying out cheaper, alternative brands or products which are just as good but gentler on the wallet. A real eye-opener!

Starting to implement these hacks really pays off quickly, it seems like a small effort but over time, it's incredibly beneficial financially and also brings the family together. Online shopping has so many hidden gems and discount codes too, especially around the holiday season, which is a great added bonus!

Meal planning is a big one for reducing waste - happy to report that my family's upcycled leftovers into a brand new delicious meal and we've been trying out cheaper, alternative brands or products which are just as good but gentler on the wallet. A real eye-opener!
Leftover makeover meals are so rewarding, it's amazing how creative one can get! The savings really accumulate when we reduce waste. Happy to hear these hacks are working for your family too.

It's amazing how quickly our minds can adjust to these new money-saving habits once we start. It becomes an enjoyable challenge to find new ways to save and be more resourceful!

Online shopping certainly has some great surprises, especially around sale seasons - those discounted prices combined with cashback or loyalty bonuses are such a satisfying find!

And oh, the relief of reducing waste and saving money from not buying groceries that end up rotting in the fridge is a big win! Upcycling meals is a creative way to keep things interesting too. Good on your family for embracing these changes!

Leftover makeover meals are so rewarding, it's amazing how creative one can get! The savings really accumulate when we reduce waste. Happy to hear these hacks are working for your family too.
It is encouraging to know that many simple and sustainable practices can lessen our expenses and create a more conscious lifestyle.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu