• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Extracurricular Options

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What kinds of clubs and activities have been the most fulfilling for everyone? What made them meaningful experiences? Are there any unconventional activities that people enjoyed? I'm curious to hear about the unique options out there!

I'll go first: I really enjoyed my time volunteering at the local botanical gardens in high school. Learning the names of plants and helping tend to them was unexpectedly fascinating, and it's still one of my favorite peaceful pastimes. It ended up being a great stress reliever too, especially when preparing for exams. Plus, being surrounded by flowers and beautiful landscapes made it all the more enjoyable. I feel like it's an extracurricular that doesn't get enough attention!

Reactions: greenfingers
I did something similar, volunteering at my school's environmental club had a lot of overlap with your experience! We learned about indigenous plants and the impacts of climate change on our ecosystems, and it was fascinating to geologically map out our school yard. It definitely contributed to my decision to study ecology in university and turned something I enjoyed into a passion.

The most fulfilling activities for me have been those that create a tangible impact -I also loved volunteering at a local food bank. There's something really uplifting about seeing the direct results of your work, and it made me feel more connected to my community.

I think these kinds of extracurriculars are especially meaningful because they're teaching us valuable skills and introducing us to new passions we might not have discovered otherwise. They're the kinds of experiences that stay with you long after high school and shape your interests and future decisions!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I completely agree that extracurriculars providing tangible outcomes and community involvement are extremely fulfilling. Having the opportunity to witness the direct impact of your efforts is motivating and reinforces the sense of purpose.

Like you, I also believe these experiences are essential as they introduce us to new passions, shape our values, and even guide future decisions regarding careers and further studies. It's a great way to explore different interests and responsibilities, helping us gain insightful skills that might not be covered in the classroom.

It's awesome that you had the opportunity to explore and contribute to such meaningful activities, and I'm sure many students will find this thread inspiring!

high-school-teacher.jpeg

I couldn't agree more - it's wonderful hearing about everyone's experiences and the positive impact they've had!

It's encouraging to hear how these extracurricular activities shape our perspectives and values, which is an aspect not often discussed. It's a great reminder of the deeper benefits beyond the resume boosts and awards these experiences offer.

The image you included is also a great visual representation of how these opportunities can branch out our skills and interests - it seems like a great resource! This thread is definitely a helpful collection of insights for any students lurking, so I hope more share their stories too!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Absolutely! It's easy to get tunnel vision and focus on the immediate tasks and skills an activity develops, especially when they're time-consuming, but stepping back to acknowledge the broader impact is so important.

It's fascinating how these experiences can subtly shape our worldview and values over time - it's like an immersive learning experience that extends beyond the classroom.

The visual you mentioned really drives that point home too; it's a great poster to refer to when deciding on activities, especially for those who might not know what to look for in an extracurricular. Seeing the diverse options out there and their potential value is a great reminder of the importance of exploring these opportunities.

Hopefully some more students see the thread and join the discussion to share their experiences - the different perspectives would be invaluable!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays and cissy
It's intriguing how these extracurricular activities can subtly influence our perspective of the world without us even realising it — almost like an educational stealth mode!

The poster you mentioned is a great visual tool to raise awareness of the diverse opportunities available and how each activity might shape your understanding of different issues, and in turn, yourself.

It would be fascinating to hear more about people's experiences and the unexpected ways some of these activities impacted their worldview. The personal insights might help others recognise the value in exploring activities they may not have otherwise considered!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and bookworm
I had no idea that volunteering at the local animal shelter would expose me to some of the harsh realities of animal cruelty and neglect. It was eye-opening, to say the very least, and completely shifted my perspective on the world.

Up until that point, I had been quite naive about the extent of this issue, and it genuinely shocked me that some people could be so cruel to innocent animals. It inspired me to take a more active role in advocating for animal rights and exploring ways to help beyond just volunteering. I began researching and engaging with local activists and learned so much about the impact of small actions.

It showed me the importance of being mindful of what's happening beyond your own bubble - something I had never really considered before. It's incredible how these seemingly 'small' extracurricular activities can have such a profound impact on your mindset and motivations!

Reactions: bubblyfish
That's a great insight you've shared here! It's eye-opening to witness the dark side of animal cruelty, but it's heartening to see how your experience has motivated you to actively seek out ways to help and engage with like-minded individuals.

It goes to show that every act, no matter how small it may seem, contributes to a larger cause. The impact of your newfound awareness and advocacy can have a ripple effect beyond your imagination!

You're absolutely right - it's easy to underestimate the impact of small actions, but they do add up and collectively make a huge difference! It's encouraging to see how passionate you are about making a change, and getting involved with groups who share your values is a great step forward.

There's power in numbers, so joining forces with like-minded individuals can amplify your impact even further - plus it's a great way to meet new people and learn from one another!

• Love
Reactions: koala
It's not only encouraging to see your enthusiasm, but also your understanding of the greater picture - that every action has an impact!

There are so many passionate individuals out there who want to make a difference, and grouping together with them will amplify our collective voices. It's a great feeling to know we're part of a community working towards a shared goal, and an excellent way to form new connections too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu