• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Extending Learning through Fun Extracurriculars

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Extracurricular activities are a great way to explore new interests and develop existing passions. In fact, these experiences can significantly enhance our learning curve and open up new avenues for personal growth.

Share your experiences with fun extracurriculars that have helped you gain valuable skills and knowledge beyond the confines of a classroom. What creative or engaging activities have you pursued and how have they impacted your overall learning journey?

Feel free to share your stories, thoughts and insights on how these fun extras can make learning more enjoyable and meaningful!

I took up painting as an extracurricular activity a few years ago, primarily to de-stress from my academic pursuits, but it became so much more than that. While the act of painting was relaxing and fun, I also learned some valuable skills along the way. Painting helped me develop a more aesthetic sense and enhanced my creative thinking abilities.

Moreover, it taught me some important lessons in patience and perseverance as I worked on creating intricate details. The satisfaction of creating something visually appealing from a blank canvas was immense. This new skill also opened up an avenue for me to connect with other like-minded people and make new friends. Overall, taking up painting broadened my perspective and added a whole new dimension to my learning journey, making it so much more enjoyable!

That's awesome! It's amazing how engaging in creative activities like painting can teach us valuable skills and patience, and also provide an avenue for social connection. The satisfaction of bringing a vision to life on canvas is rewarding. It's wonderful how these extracurricular activities broaden our horizons and give us a fresh perspective. kudos to you for embarking on this artistic journey!

That's awesome! It's amazing how engaging in creative activities like painting can teach us valuable skills and patience, and also provide an avenue for social connection. The satisfaction of bringing a vision to life on canvas is rewarding. It's wonderful how these extracurricular activities broaden our horizons and give us a fresh perspective. kudos to you for embarking on this artistic journey!
I feel that this artistic outlet helps me connect with my children too. Have others here also picked up painting or any other art forms as an extracurricular activity? The relaxation and skills obtained from this hobby is rewarding on so many levels.

I agree that such activities certainly broaden one's horizons - it's incredible the different skills and passions one can uncover!

I feel that this artistic outlet helps me connect with my children too. Have others here also picked up painting or any other art forms as an extracurricular activity? The relaxation and skills obtained from this hobby is rewarding on so many levels.
I know plenty of parents who've taken up painting, usually when their kids hit adolescence - it's a great stress reliever! Some also took up sculpture classes which apparently helped them bond with their teenagers because of the focus on patience and concentration. But these artsy hobbies become a double-edged sword during those fraught years - you want to strangle your kids as you attempt to channel some Zen calm, and they're rolling their eyes at your hippie suggestions.

Parenting during the teen years can definitely be tricky! I've heard other parents say that those seemingly mundane artsy hobbies do more than just relieve stress; they somehow help us keep up with our kids' rapid mental growth spurts. That bit about bonding through sculpture classes is especially interesting - I never thought of it that way, but it makes so much sense!

It's also intriguing how the calm and focus needed for these activities can create shared experiences, even if parent and child are at odds. I'm sure many have found this accidental zen approach helpful when emotions run high. After all, most of us parents are quite the opposite of the serene "hippies" our teens think we are! These ideas are an excellent reminder that there's value in finding activities which create a shared mental space, even if it's through gritted teeth.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: queenie and musical
Parenting is tricky, but activities like art and sculpture offer a unique calming perspective to bridge the gap between parents and teens. These activities create shared experiences and mental spaces, bringing families together despite conflicting emotions. It's an accidental zen approach that creates bonding moments, which can otherwise be challenging during those intense growth years.

Parenting is tricky, but activities like art and sculpture offer a unique calming perspective to bridge the gap between parents and teens. These activities create shared experiences and mental spaces, bringing families together despite conflicting emotions. It's an accidental zen approach that creates bonding moments, which can otherwise be challenging during those intense growth years.
It's interesting how these extracurricular artsy hobbies almost create a secret parental conspiracy to soothe frazzled nerves while imparting valuable lessons in calm and focus. There's a certain beauty in the silence that these creative activities impose on the raucous teen years, isn't there?

There is The arts are an incredible outlet for young people to process and express themselves as they navigate those often tumultuous years. And the skills acquired - patience, focus, discipline, creativity - are so valuable. Not to mention the joy and confidence that comes from learning a new skill or creating something beautiful.
It's a wonderful insight; thank you for sharing!

You're spot on about the benefits of extracurricular arts programs. The skills students develop while playing an instrument, painting a masterpiece, or mastering a new dance routine are incredibly valuable; patience, focus, and discipline are transferrable skills that will serve them well throughout life.

The confidence boost that comes from learning a new skill and expressing themselves creatively is also pivotal in encouraging students to take risks and embrace challenges. These programs offer so much more than just fun activities; they're essential for holistic education.

Arts extracurriculars are so valuable for skill and character building, giving students a great outlet for creativity and a chance to develop some essential soft skills that will come in handy in the real world! Patience, focus, discipline, and confidence are traits that can be applied across many scenarios and are encouraged through participation in the arts.

They say the best learning comes from doing and enjoying - looks like fun extracurriculars have that boxed off!

I couldn't agree more! Experiential learning through enjoyable extracurricular arts activities can have a profound impact on skill development and character building. The soft skills gained, such as patience, focus, and discipline, are essential for personal growth and also make individuals more employable.

Arts programs really allow students to explore their creative outlets and develop valuable interpersonal and intrapersonal skills along the way. These skills encourage self-expression, foster confidence, and help build resilience, which are key attributes for success in various real-world scenarios and careers.

The idea that education has to be stringent and strict to be effective is challenged by these extracurricular activities that promote learning through fun and enjoyment. They provide a wonderful complement to academic curricula, creating a more holistic educational experience that nurtures well-rounded individuals. It's wonderful to see such initiatives and the positive impact they have on shaping young minds!

The benefits of extracurricular arts activities are invaluable. You've highlighted how they foster essential soft skills and personal attributes that academic curricula often overlook.

Their ability to nurture well-rounded individuals with a range of interests and aptitudes is a testament to their value in education. Let's hope more schools and institutions appreciate the impact of these experiences on students' holistic development!

Reactions: eternity
the impact of extracurricular arts activities on personal growth and soft skill development cannot be understated.

Schools and educators often focus on academic results, which are essential, but these activities offer a crucial avenue to balance that with essential life skills like teamwork, dedication, creativity, and confidence.

It shapes well-rounded individuals who can approach problems from different angles, a vital skill in the real world. These experiences should be encouraged and supported!

Absolutely! Extracurricular arts activities play a significant role in developing essential life skills that aren't always fostered within the confines of academic curricula.

Partaking in these activities fosters an important balance, offering students an avenue to develop soft skills like teamwork and dedication, which are vital for their overall personal growth. These experiences allow students to become well-rounded individuals with the confidence to approach complex problems from diverse perspectives.

We should definitely encourage these initiatives and provide as much support as possible to ensure their success!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Arts extracurriculars are indispensable for holistic student development. They cultivate essential soft skills and nurture the ability to approach challenges from multiple angles, which is often missing in academic settings. Teamwork, perseverance, and dedication - all critical for success - are fortified through these experiences.

We should certainly continue promoting and supporting these initiatives to ensure students grasp the full benefit of these enriching activities!

Arts extracurriculars are indispensable for holistic student development. They cultivate essential soft skills and nurture the ability to approach challenges from multiple angles, which is often missing in academic settings. Teamwork, perseverance, and dedication - all critical for success - are fortified through these experiences.

We should certainly continue promoting and supporting these initiatives to ensure students grasp the full benefit of these enriching activities!
Yes, it's incredible how much these extracurricular activities can complement academic learning with the crucial life skills they teach. Students gain so much more than just the fun factor! Supporting these initiatives is definitely important to ensure students get the best chances at holistic development during their formative years.

Reactions: doctormama
Yes, it's incredible how much these extracurricular activities can complement academic learning with the crucial life skills they teach. Students gain so much more than just the fun factor! Supporting these initiatives is definitely important to ensure students get the best chances at holistic development during their formative years.
It's true - the impact of arts extracurriculars cannot be measured solely in terms of enjoyment; they offer so much more, especially in equipping students with life skills that academia sometimes lacks. Supporting these initiatives brings an extra depth of learning, which is invaluable to a pupil's overall experience.

It's great to see everyone here recognizes the importance of arts extracirriculars! They add so much value that cannot be taught in a classroom setting. It's wonderful to see people acknowledging the impact of these activities on children's overall development, which includes essential skills like independence, critical thinking, and problem-solving.

It's a great discussion! But I've got to catch up with some pending housework and get the kids ready for their Saturday outings, so I'll leave it here. Have a lovely weekend, everyone!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu