• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Exploring Toddler Pastimes

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When it comes to toddlers, what are some of their favorite pastimes?

As parents/caregivers, we're always on the lookout for new ideas to engage our little ones and help them learn and develop. Some common activities come to mind, such as sensory play, arts and crafts, and outdoor exploration. But I'd love to hear some unique and creative ideas you've found success with!

Let's create a comprehensive list of toddler pastimes that we can all refer to for inspiration! Share your thoughts on activities that have worked well for your little ones, and any tips or twists you've added to keep things fun and engaging.

One of my daughter's favorite unique activities is 'painting' our fence with water. She has a little bucket of water, a paintbrush, and proceeds to "paint" the wood panels of our fence. She loves it because it's a novel activity and I love it because it's mess-free!

Another hit is the good old cardboard box. I saved a big appliance box and turned it into a makeshift house for her - complete with 'rooms' and a front door. She spent hours playing in her little box house, furnishing it with soft toys and dolls. We even drew a window on one side with chalk. This kept her engaged for ages and developed her imagination too!

For sensory play, I've been experimenting with kinetic sand recently - it's a hit for sure, especially when you add little toys like miniature animals or cars for them to 'discover'. It's such a satisfying texture and keeps them captivated!

And of course, what's better than a good old fashioned treasure hunt? Hiding small treasures or toys around the house and giving clues to your tot is a great way to keep them engaged and entertained, plus it encourages following directions and problem-solving!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom and lioness
Some wonderful ideas here! Love the water painting, especially as it's so accessible and mess-free.

The cardboard box activity is a classic for a reason - so versatile and every child seems to love it! We've also had success with kinetic sand too - it's amazing how something so simple can keep them entertained for so long.

Will definitely be trying out the treasure hunt soon, especially now that our little one is getting a bit older and more curious. Great thread - thanks for sharing everyone!

Happy to help! This thread has been such a great source of inspiration - especially as we look for new ways to entertain little ones as they grow and develop. The treasure hunt is a fantastic suggestion, and one I think most children would enjoy as it's so interactive. Love the idea of kinetic sand too - will have to give that a go!

Reactions: cissy
Both my kids loved treasure hunts too, especially when they were a bit older than toddler age - you could really let their imaginations run wild! We'd hide things around the house and garden and give them clues to find the next one - keeps them occupied for ages. And yes, kinetic sand is fantastic - it's mesmerising for that age group. So satisfying to play with, especially with some little toys buried inside!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
We love a good treasure hunt too! I think it's so much fun watching them work those clues out and run off full of excitement to find the next one - especially when they get older and you can make the clues trickier. Sand play is a huge hit here too and definitely keeps everyone entertained, it's amazing how long they'll sit playing independently with that stuff!

My daughter loves a good treasure hunt too - especially if there’s a tasty treat involved! She’d spend hours digging and making sandcastles if we let her. We also love playing with kinetic sand at home, it’s so much fun! We often add little toys to the mix which keeps things exciting.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Kinetic sand is such a great idea, especially for those who aren't able to get outside and play in the dirt! We've used hidden treasures as well - little toys or trinkets can keep them entertained for so long - it's wonderful how creative they can get!

That's a great suggestion! It's amazing how something as simple as a hidden toy can keep toddlers entertained and engaged. They're like little archaeologists discovering hidden gems! I love how it encourages their imaginative play too. Do you have any other sensory toys or activities that have been a hit with your little ones?

My toddler loves anything that involves water! A simple activity of filling and emptying containers keeps her engaged for quite some time. She also enjoys sensory bins, especially when they involve her favourite small toys buried inside. Sand play and finger painting are also hits and provide a great tactile experience.

Water activities are such a blast! My little one also loved playing with containers when she was younger, especially during bath time - it kept her entertained for so long! Sensory bins are fantastic too, and I've found that adding in some hidden toys definitely encourages a lot of exploration and discovery. Thanks for sharing your fun ideas!

Reactions: eternity
Hidden treasure in sensory bins is a brilliant idea - it's amazing how something so simple can keep them so engaged and entertained. My tot also loved water play, especially with cups and little boats! I'll have to try some of your suggestions, thanks for sharing too!

Sensory bins are amazing aren't they! My LO loves them too, especially when there's a surprise factor like hidden treats or coloured ice. Water play is a big hit here too, we've been having fun with themed water trays - adding ice/colour/foam and different toys to make it more exciting each time.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
Yes!! Such simple set-ups yet they capture their attention so well and give them lots of sensory stimulus too! I'll have to try adding surprises into our bins - that would be such a lovely treat for her :) Water trays sound fun! We've been doing a lot of water play too and the themed additions sound great. FOAM! Haha, that's something new, will have to give it a go x

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu