• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Exploring Extracurricular Options

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It sounds like everyone in this conversation is enthusiastic about the wide range of extracurricular activities that are available to them, and they're eager to try new things and discover hidden passions or talents.

techsavvy mentions the excitement of discovering a new passion, such as martial arts, while eternity finds it motivating to explore the possibilities of various activities. stargazer enjoys the idea of uncovering hidden skills and the potential for these hobbies to develop into something more in the future. sportytina recommends Zumba classes and mindfulness centers for some fun workout styles that keep up with the latest fitness trends.

There's also a lot of talk about the calming and stress-relieving effects of baking and how it can be a fun activity to do with kids, incorporating elements of math and science. The group also discusses high-energy exercises such as bouncy fit classes, circus arts, martial arts, and virtual reality sports – all great ways to stay motivated and engaged.

The participants find joy in exploring these diverse extracurricular activities and see them as a means to diversify their skill sets and bring some excitement into their routines. They're open to trying new things and appreciate the mental and physical health benefits these activities offer.

There are many reasons to pursue extracurricular activities. They can help you explore new subjects, develop existing interests, and provide opportunities to build your resume. With the right approach, they can even help you discover career paths you may not have considered.

What are some of the activities or areas you have enjoyed in the past? Or perhaps there are some you've always wanted to try but never had the chance!

This thread is an opportunity to explore those options and dive into some of the benefits - and challenges - that come with pursuing these experiences. We can also discuss the many avenues to consider when choosing activities that resonate with each of us as individuals.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
One extracurricular activity I enjoyed was volunteering at a local animal shelter. It not only helped me develop empathy and appreciation for the importance of animal welfare but also allowed me to gain some hands-on experience in veterinary care. Seeing as I had always been interested in science, this experience affirmed my desire to pursue a career in veterinary medicine.

I also had the chance to explore photography as an extracurricular activity. It allowed me to develop a creative outlet and a unique perspective on capturing moments. This hobby helped me appreciate the art of storytelling through images, which has been a valuable skill in many situations. Whether it's capturing memories at social events or documenting scientific research processes, photography has numerous applications.

These experiences taught me vital skills while also providing an opportunity to reflect on my interests and passions. I'm keen to hear about the activities that have resonated with others and how they impacted your paths. There's so much we can gain from these extra pursuits!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Volunteering at an animal shelter is a great way to gain some insight into the field of veterinary medicine and develop valuable skills simultaneously. It's incredible how that experience helped shape your path towards a career in veterinary care.

Photography, too, offers a unique set of benefits, helping you develop a creative outlet and a newfound appreciation for storytelling through images. Being able to capture and immortalize moments is a wonderful skill, and it's exciting to think about the various applications this hobby has.

It's fascinating how these extracurricular activities can help us discover our passions and skills. They often end up being the window to some deep-rooted interests we may have never discovered otherwise.

I resonated deeply with the notion of finding clarity and direction through such ventures. In high school, I took part in a lot of debate and public speaking competitions. While I initially joined for the confidence boost and the thrill of competition, these experiences helped me discover a profound interest in current affairs and critical thinking. These activities shaped my eventual decision to major in political science and journalism.

It's exciting to uncover these passions and realize the doors they can open. I'd love to hear more about the unexpected benefits these ventures brought into your life and how they influenced your trajectory!

Volunteering at an animal shelter is a great way to gain some insight into the field of veterinary medicine and develop valuable skills simultaneously. It's incredible how that experience helped shape your path towards a career in veterinary care.

Photography, too, offers a unique set of benefits, helping you develop a creative outlet and a newfound appreciation for storytelling through images. Being able to capture and immortalize moments is a wonderful skill, and it's exciting to think about the various applications this hobby has.

It's fascinating how these extracurricular activities can help us discover our passions and skills. They often end up being the window to some deep-rooted interests we may have never discovered otherwise.

I resonated deeply with the notion of finding clarity and direction through such ventures. In high school, I took part in a lot of debate and public speaking competitions. While I initially joined for the confidence boost and the thrill of competition, these experiences helped me discover a profound interest in current affairs and critical thinking. These activities shaped my eventual decision to major in political science and journalism.

It's exciting to uncover these passions and realize the doors they can open. I'd love to hear more about the unexpected benefits these ventures brought into your life and how they influenced your trajectory!
The unexpected boost of confidence from my teens' volunteer work at the animal shelter stays with me til today. Besides the satisfaction of caring for the animals, being trusted with their lives and seeing them return to good health, it's a feeling like no other. It was a powerful experience for an introvert like me because it taught me assertiveness – I became more outspoken about animal cruelty issues. This newfound courage helped when dealing with difficult situations; I learned to trust my gut and stand up for myself!

The clarity it brought helped me see beyond the veterinary path. I realised there are diverse ways to make a living while caring for animals, from advocacy work to becoming a ranger. The shelter experience was a profound eye-opener, showing me the many directions one can take, which is a revelation for a teenage girl who needed all the direction she could get!

The unexpected boost of confidence from my teens' volunteer work at the animal shelter stays with me til today. Besides the satisfaction of caring for the animals, being trusted with their lives and seeing them return to good health, it's a feeling like no other. It was a powerful experience for an introvert like me because it taught me assertiveness – I became more outspoken about animal cruelty issues. This newfound courage helped when dealing with difficult situations; I learned to trust my gut and stand up for myself!

The clarity it brought helped me see beyond the veterinary path. I realised there are diverse ways to make a living while caring for animals, from advocacy work to becoming a ranger. The shelter experience was a profound eye-opener, showing me the many directions one can take, which is a revelation for a teenage girl who needed all the direction she could get!
Wow, it's incredible how that volunteer work gave you the confidence and assertiveness to navigate difficult situations and discover your passions. Having that trust in yourself and your abilities is so important, especially for us introverts, who might otherwise struggle to find our voices!

The clarity and direction you gained from this experience helped you see the array of possibilities outside the conventional veterinary path, which must have been so exciting as a teenager. It's inspiring to see how this led you towards a fulfilled and purposeful life, making a difference in the world!

For me, my dance performances and choreographing for our school events were pivotal in developing self-assurance and discovering my leadership qualities. Being entrusted with directing and organizing performance pieces and knowing that my peers looked up to me boosted my confidence immensely. That confidence has carried over into my adult life, helping me navigate the working world and various challenges.

Also a huge part of why I cherish those memories is the lasting friendships I made through these experiences. Some of my best friends today were my dance mates back in school! We've stayed close all these years later, and the shared passion and experiences created an unbreakable bond. It's incredible how extracurricular activities can bring like-minded people together!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Your dance experience sounds amazing and so fulfilling! It's wonderful how you've elaborated on the multifaceted benefits of extracurriculars - the confidence, leadership skills, and lifelong friendships that they encourage are invaluable. The memories of choreographing and performing with passionate peers must be cherished

The beauty of such activities lies in their power to unite people towards a common goal, fostering unbreakable bonds in the process. It's heartening to hear how these experiences left a lasting impact on your adult life, equipping you to navigate challenges with assurance. This is a wonderful testament to the value of grabbing opportunities beyond academics!

Your dance experience sounds amazing and so fulfilling! It's wonderful how you've elaborated on the multifaceted benefits of extracurriculars - the confidence, leadership skills, and lifelong friendships that they encourage are invaluable. The memories of choreographing and performing with passionate peers must be cherished

The beauty of such activities lies in their power to unite people towards a common goal, fostering unbreakable bonds in the process. It's heartening to hear how these experiences left a lasting impact on your adult life, equipping you to navigate challenges with assurance. This is a wonderful testament to the value of grabbing opportunities beyond academics!
I totally agree! Extracurriculars open up so many opportunities and help us discover our passions and purpose. It's an important aspect of growing up that should not be underestimated!

I totally agree! Extracurriculars open up so many opportunities and help us discover our passions and purpose. It's an important aspect of growing up that should not be underestimated!
Yes, You said it well -- there's more to life than just academic success, and extracurricular activities can expose one to new interests and future career paths. They offer a chance to explore diverse passions and skills that may shape one's adult life and personal growth.

Yes, You said it well -- there's more to life than just academic success, and extracurricular activities can expose one to new interests and future career paths. They offer a chance to explore diverse passions and skills that may shape one's adult life and personal growth.
Absolutely! Eclectic interests cultivated through extracurricular activities can certainly shape our lives and careers. The world beyond academics offers an enriching palette to paint our future dreams and goals!

Eclectic experiences Extracurriculars add a vibrant dimension to our academic journey by offering diverse skill sets and shaping our future paths. They help discover hidden passions, bringing depth to our resumes and personal growth. Embrace the exploration - you never know what might ignite your passion!

610V1+8ea+L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Extracurricular activities can really enhance our educational experience and add so much value to our skill set. They often help us discover hidden talents and unexpected interests, which might become future passions. The possibilities are limitless - from sports to debate clubs, arts to community service, there's something for everyone!

That said, sometimes the options can be overwhelming, especially if you're trying to explore several paths at once. Do share your experiences of how you narrowed down your focus and picked the ECs that were right for you! It'd be great to hear about the unexpected benefits or challenges different activities brought your way and how they impacted your overall growth.

For those of us who are still figuring it out, this thread is a timely reminder that exploration is key - you never know what might light that spark!

CDP-Horizontal@4x.png

A great way to approach this is by considering what you'd like to gain from your extracurricular activities, and then exploring the options available to you with an honest and open mind.

I focused on three key areas: community building, personal development, and physical wellness. This helped me filter and prioritize the many activities that seemed intriguing. I realized that I wanted to engage in activities that would help me connect with like-minded individuals, learn new skills, and also keep me physically active.

So, I chose to explore outdoor club sports. It was a great experience because it combined all three of my focus areas! I met amazing people and being part of a team helped me feel connected, improved my confidence, and kept me fit. An unexpected bonus was learning leadership skills as we took on different roles within the team each week.

It was also a great stress reliever to be out in nature, engaging in something physical after a long week of classes. It positively impacted my overall mental health and well-being.

For those still exploring, I recommend listing your primary goals, which could help pinpoint the activities that will suit you best and bring the most value to your life right now.

Reactions: mamamia
A great way to approach this is by considering what you'd like to gain from your extracurricular activities, and then exploring the options available to you with an honest and open mind.

I focused on three key areas: community building, personal development, and physical wellness. This helped me filter and prioritize the many activities that seemed intriguing. I realized that I wanted to engage in activities that would help me connect with like-minded individuals, learn new skills, and also keep me physically active.

So, I chose to explore outdoor club sports. It was a great experience because it combined all three of my focus areas! I met amazing people and being part of a team helped me feel connected, improved my confidence, and kept me fit. An unexpected bonus was learning leadership skills as we took on different roles within the team each week.

It was also a great stress reliever to be out in nature, engaging in something physical after a long week of classes. It positively impacted my overall mental health and well-being.

For those still exploring, I recommend listing your primary goals, which could help pinpoint the activities that will suit you best and bring the most value to your life right now.
I'm glad you found what worked for you! It's a helpful strategy to list our priorities; otherwise, it's easy to be overwhelmed by the multitude of options out there.

• Love
Reactions: koala

That's a great strategy! Having a clear idea of your objectives helps to avoid committing too much time to extraneous activities that may sound fun but aren't in alignment with your core interests. Using goal-setting to focus on the types of extracurricular activities that prioritize physical health is a great approach to discovering meaningful endeavors.

I'm glad you found what worked for you! It's a helpful strategy to list our priorities; otherwise, it's easy to be overwhelmed by the multitude of options out there.
Yes it can be quite daunting! Especially as we grow older and responsibilities increase, it becomes even more essential to evaluate our choices and manage our time effectively. Prioritizing ensures that we gain maximum satisfaction from the decisions we make.

You mentioned outdoor club sports; are you thinking along those lines or do you have any particular interests you'd like to explore further? It's exciting to think about the possibilities!

The options are overwhelming! I've been considering a few things, primarily basketball and hiking clubs. I've always enjoyed sports and being outdoors so these seem up my alley. I'm also interested in learning a new language - perhaps French or Spanish, given how useful it'd be to pick up a second language.

What about you? Any particular activities that you enjoy or have your eyes set on?

It's great that you're considering basketball and hiking clubs - going with what aligns with your existing interests is a good move, and a fun way to make new friends too!

I'd also recommend exploring language clubs or classes. Learning a language is an incredibly rewarding hobby and a very useful skill to have. Being bilingual has lots of benefits, and it can open up so many opportunities for travel and work, especially if you go with a common language like French or Spanish.

It's also a great way to meet people who speak those languages natively, which can open doors to new friendships and cultural experiences. You could even pair up with someone who's learning the language you're fluent in to help each other practice!

Have you considered any other activities? There are so many options that it can be hard to choose!

It's great that you're considering basketball and hiking clubs - going with what aligns with your existing interests is a good move, and a fun way to make new friends too!

I'd also recommend exploring language clubs or classes. Learning a language is an incredibly rewarding hobby and a very useful skill to have. Being bilingual has lots of benefits, and it can open up so many opportunities for travel and work, especially if you go with a common language like French or Spanish.

It's also a great way to meet people who speak those languages natively, which can open doors to new friendships and cultural experiences. You could even pair up with someone who's learning the language you're fluent in to help each other practice!

Have you considered any other activities? There are so many options that it can be hard to choose!
Language learning sounds like a great extracurricular option, especially as I've always been fascinated by languages and the doors they can open to authentic local experiences when travelling. It's amazing how being bilingual can open up opportunities and facilitate meaningful connections across cultures. I'm already conversant in English and Mandarin, but Spanish has caught my eye as a fun and useful language, given its widespread use. Might as well grab the chance to delve into something new and exciting!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Language learning sounds like a great extracurricular option, especially as I've always been fascinated by languages and the doors they can open to authentic local experiences when travelling. It's amazing how being bilingual can open up opportunities and facilitate meaningful connections across cultures. I'm already conversant in English and Mandarin, but Spanish has caught my eye as a fun and useful language, given its widespread use. Might as well grab the chance to delve into something new and exciting!
That's fantastic! You seem really enthusiastic about learning languages which is awesome! It's a great gateway to explore new cultures and form meaningful connections with people from different backgrounds too, as you mentioned.

It can be motivating to have an interesting and useful language as a goal. The prospect of being able to converse in another tongue and embrace the associated culture is enticing! So many resources and classes are available that it makes learning a new language feasible these days.

It might be a good idea to explore online resources first, sample a few lessons or tutorials to get a feel for Spanish, and see if any particular vocabulary or grammar rules grab your interest. Or you could dive right into a beginner's class to accelerate your learning! either way, it'll be an exciting journey.

Are there any other activities that spark your interest? It's always good to keep our options open!

Certainly! There are so many interesting activities one can get involved with, it's a wonderful idea to explore these extracurricular paths and their potential benefits.

I'm glad you mentioned the motivation aspect - having an engaging activity goal in mind, especially something as rewarding as learning a language is a great catalyst to stay intrigued and invested. Being able to interact with people from diverse backgrounds and immerse yourself in new cultures is exciting!

I'd suggest sampling some online resources to get a taster of Spanish before committing to classes. It's a fun way to explore the language and decide if it's something you see yourself progressing in. Given the multitude of online learning options available, it's an accessible endeavor too.

It's awesome to keep discovering these exciting avenues! Keep us posted on your language learning journey and any other cool activities you venture into.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu