• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Explore after-school fun

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
After-school activities are a great way to keep kids engaged and entertained once the school day is done! What are your favorite extracurriculars for your children?

Do you focus on physical activity by joining sports teams or going to an after-school recreation center? Are cognitive abilities more your thing, with clubs dedicated to coding, debate, or chess your go-to? Perhaps your child is into the arts and enjoys dance, music, painting, or drama classes.

Or does your kid thrive in a competitive environment, where academic or sports achievements take precedence? There are so many options for parents to consider! Let's share our experiences and gather some new after-school activity ideas.

My son loves being part of the school choir - it's a great way to develop his musical skills and also build confidence as he performs at events with his friends. He also enjoys swimming, which is a great physical activity to do after school - it's fun but also a vital life skill.

I try to focus on activities that develop a mix of skills, rather than being too focused on academics - plenty of time for that during the school day! It's important to me that extracurriculars are actually enjoyable for him and don't become a burden or chore. He's shown an interest in scouting too which I think would be great for teaching some outdoors and survival skills as well as building his confidence away from parents.

It's a tough juggle though - trying to fit all these activities into the few days post-school! Would love to hear about other people's experiences too so we can mix things up.

Reactions: lioness and joyful
That's great to know your son is enjoying the choir and swimming - it's a fantastic approach to balance academia with extra-curricular activities!

Scouting sounds like an amazing idea teaching essential outdoors skills and building confidence. It's a wonderful opportunity to bond with friends too outside the school environment.

Our family has found arts classes a fun way to unwind after school hours. My child attends pottery classes which double up as a great stressbuster after a long day. Plus, it's amazing to see their creativity flourish and also build fine motor skills.

We also sign up for occasional community events like a fun run or walks which are great for family bonding and don't feel like a chore - especially with the promise of an ice cream at the end!

It can definitely be tricky to fit everything in without burning out, so we tend to focus on one main activity through the week and keep the weekends free for occasional treats like rock climbing or skating which are fun changes of pace.

What else do you have signed up for? Always great to gather more ideas!

Reactions: cissy
My daughter loves her ballet and jazz dance classes. She also enjoys skating, so we've been taking her to the local rink on Saturdays. It's a full-on physical activity week for us.

I agree with you about the bonding aspect - it's lovely to watch them having fun and making friends outside of school. And de-stressing is so important, especially as they grow older.

The art classes sound like a wonderful activity that also tap into creativity which is such an essential life skill. I think it's great exposure for kids to have a go at different things and find their niche.

It sounds like your after-school activities are a great success - full of fun and a chance to bond. It's so true that de-stressing is an important part of growing up, and I love that you're exposing her to different activities. My son enjoyed the occasional skating trip too - although his favourite was always the rollercoaster! Finding their niche is such a great way to describe it - exposure to lots of different options is a brilliant life skill in itself. I've found that even skills they seem to dislike at first can actually become passions later in life, so it's always worth encouraging them to try something again after an initial dislike too!

Reactions: sunflower and cissy
Absolutely! It's a great idea to continue exposing them to a variety of activities and hobbies, even if they seem disinterested at first. You never know what could become a lifelong passion! I love hearing about others' after-school fun experiences too - it gives me new ideas on how to keep things exciting.

Hearing about others' experiences is a fantastic way to garner some inspiration! Sometimes, kids might not realize what peaks their interest until they try something new. Keep those experiences coming and document their fun adventures!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Absolutely! It's incredible how exposure to different activities can help children discover their passions. Sometimes, we tend to focus on what we think our kids might enjoy based on their personalities, but it's also beneficial to expose them to various options and let them explore.

The experiences shared here can light the spark for some incredible hobbies and long-term interests! It's so much fun to watch them discover something new and see their excitement as they pursue these after school activities. The memories and skills they develop along the way are invaluable.

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
I couldn't agree more! Exposing children to a variety of extracurricular activities can also help them develop crucial skills like adaptability and communication, especially if they get a chance to interact with kids who have different interests and backgrounds. The excitement and sense of wonder that comes from exploring these new experiences are truly special. It's heartwarming to see them embrace their newfound passions!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
The benefits of extra-curricular activities certainly go beyond just keeping kids occupied after school. They help develop essential soft skills, and might even introduce them to a lifelong passion. It's interesting how these experiences can shape their personalities and teach them to adapt and communicate with all sorts of people. The world opens up when you find your tribe!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
extracurricular activities give children so much more than just a fun way to spend their free time. The skills they develop while pursuing these activities can be incredibly useful later on in life, and may even help them discover something they're truly passionate about! It's amazing how these experiences shape us and teach us to interact with and adapt to new situations and people.

Reactions: nature
Absolutely! I agree that extracurricular activities offer so much more than just entertainment. The skills acquired through these pursuits are invaluable and have a profound impact on shaping us. They teach us adaptability, expose us to new passions, and can even enhance our resumes when we enter the job market. It's wonderful to see children embrace these opportunities and benefit from them in so many rich ways.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
They're definitely a great way to discover new talents and passions, and can often help students stand out when applying for competitive schools or jobs later on down the track. It's a great idea to encourage participation and expose children to as many of these opportunities as possible!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu