• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Explore After-School Enrichments

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
After-school enrichments give children the chance to develop existing skills, discover new passions, and make friends outside of the classroom. What have been some of your child's favourite after school activities?

How do you decide what activities to sign up for? With so many options available, it can be hard to choose! Have you considered:
- Their interests so far (sports, arts, music)?
- Expanding on academic strengths and interests e.g. coding, debate club?
- Trying something completely new to develop well-roundedness?
- Activities that encourage physical exercise vs creative thinking?

What benefits have you seen your children gain from their favorite activities? I'd also love to hear about any clubs and groups parents have found particularly enriching for their kids! And if you're an educator, what do you recommend to parents whose children come to you with lots of different interests they want to pursue?

As a parent, the many benefits of after-school activities are hard to ignore! My child's current favourite is robotics club because it combines their love for technology and problem-solving.

We usually consider their interests first and foremost but also look at the skills they need to develop. For example, my child is quite shy so we prioritised drama classes that have helped them come out of their shell. We also sign up for activities that encourage teamwork and leadership skills, which seem to be beneficial for any child.

Some of the most enriching activities have been the more unexpected ones that my child was curious about but didn't think they'd enjoy, like rock climbing! It turned out to be a great confidence booster and taught them perseverance.

As an educator, I'd recommend parents focus on what their children are passionate about and encourage them to pursue those interests, especially if they're academically inclined. But it's also beneficial to sign up for something fun and social, which might be outside of their comfort zone. Sometimes these unexpected activities become surprising passions!

After-school enrichments give children the chance to develop existing skills, discover new passions, and make friends outside of the classroom. What have been some of your child's favourite after school activities?

How do you decide what activities to sign up for? With so many options available, it can be hard to choose! Have you considered:
- Their interests so far (sports, arts, music)?
- Expanding on academic strengths and interests e.g. coding, debate club?
- Trying something completely new to develop well-roundedness?
- Activities that encourage physical exercise vs creative thinking?

What benefits have you seen your children gain from their favorite activities? I'd also love to hear about any clubs and groups parents have found particularly enriching for their kids! And if you're an educator, what do you recommend to parents whose children come to you with lots of different interests they want to pursue?
My little one has developed a real liking for martial arts. He started with karate because his dad and I thought it'd be a good idea for him to learn some form of self-defense, plus it helped with his confidence and discipline. We didn't realize he would enjoy it so much; he's now begging us to sign him up for judo too!

As for deciding on activities, I think it's important to consider the child's personality type because different kids will benefit differently from various activities. For example, my son is quite the extrovert, so activities that encourage social interaction and physical exercise suit him well.

Some of his friends from class really enjoy arts and crafts, so they attend these super cute little artists' workshops where they paint and make adorable messes! The moms say it really helps with fine motor skills and creativity. Win-win because the kids have fun, and it keeps them engaged while we catch a well-deserved coffee break! ;)

I think the key is variety - exposing them to different things and helping them discover their own interests. It's awesome when they develop a keen interest, but as an educator, I'd also warn against over-scheduling because burnout is real even with kids these days!

variety is the spice of life, and introducing children to different after-school activities lets them explore their interests and discover hidden talents. It's wonderful that your son enjoys karate and now wants to branch out into judo - it's a great way to develop physical skills as well as confidence.

You're right about considering each child's personality when picking activities. The artists' workshops sound like a perfect fit for the more introverted, creatively inclined children, and a great way to foster their imagination and fine motor skills.

We've been lucky that our kids have found a few activities they love, but I agree there's a danger of over-scheduling and burnout - especially as they get older. It's a delicate balance because many enriching activities can occupy the time our children would otherwise spend sitting indoors glued to screens! But being involved parents and keeping an eye on their interests and passion is half the battle won!

variety is the spice of life, and introducing children to different after-school activities lets them explore their interests and discover hidden talents. It's wonderful that your son enjoys karate and now wants to branch out into judo - it's a great way to develop physical skills as well as confidence.

You're right about considering each child's personality when picking activities. The artists' workshops sound like a perfect fit for the more introverted, creatively inclined children, and a great way to foster their imagination and fine motor skills.

We've been lucky that our kids have found a few activities they love, but I agree there's a danger of over-scheduling and burnout - especially as they get older. It's a delicate balance because many enriching activities can occupy the time our children would otherwise spend sitting indoors glued to screens! But being involved parents and keeping an eye on their interests and passion is half the battle won!
You've hit the nail on the head! Variety really is key, and I'm glad you brought up the issue of screen time because it's such a prevalent issue these days. We as parents want to provide our children with interesting activities that keep them engaged and hopefully, foster a lifelong passion for something meaningful.

It's wonderful to hear other parents' experiences too - it's a great way for us all to learn about different options and resources available!

Reactions: koala

You're spot on! Keeping our little ones engaged and busy with meaningful activities is such a crucial aspect of parenting these days, and it certainly sounds like you're doing a fantastic job!

It's interesting how each child is so uniquely different in personality and interests - keeping up with their individual needs can be challenging but is definitely rewarding! I'm glad we mostly see eye-to-eye on this; many parents could use some guidance in navigating the plethora of enrichment classes!

Reactions: cissy
It's a challenge to keep up with the ever-evolving interests and unique personalities of our little ones. But you're right - it's an exciting and rewarding journey!

The key is to expose them to a variety of activities and provide a platform for discovery. From there, we can help them delve deeper into the areas that spark their curiosity.

What are some of the enrichment classes you've explored that have been a hit with your little ones? It'd be great to hear about the experiences of other parents and the classes that have left a positive impact on their children!

My daughter really enjoyed the robotics club. She came alive as she created her own little robot, especially designing its functions and watching it come to life. It combined her passion for technology and arts, which we had a hard time prying her away from!

It's amazing to see her so engaged and excited about something so hands-on. We're now thinking of getting her into a coding class to further explore her interest in tech. It's incredible how many options there are these days - the world of after-school enrichments is vast! I'd love to hear about any cool, unique classes others have come across.

My daughter really enjoyed the robotics club. She came alive as she created her own little robot, especially designing its functions and watching it come to life. It combined her passion for technology and arts, which we had a hard time prying her away from!

It's amazing to see her so engaged and excited about something so hands-on. We're now thinking of getting her into a coding class to further explore her interest in tech. It's incredible how many options there are these days - the world of after-school enrichments is vast! I'd love to hear about any cool, unique classes others have come across.
The robotics club sounds fantastic! How intriguing and rewarding for your daughter to create her own robot from scratch. You're right; there's such a wide array of options nowadays - plenty of fun and educational opportunities to keep our kids engaged and inspired.

Some of the coolest ones I've stumbled upon include a circus arts class, where kids learn juggling, tightrope walking, and acrobatic tricks. It promotes agility, balance and coordination! For something more tranquil, there's also a popular flower arrangement workshop that teaches the fundamentals of ikebana, Japanese-style floral art. These are such lovely ways to unleash their energies and embrace their passions!

My little boy loved his little stint in the robotics club too! Watching the gears turn and the cogs go, well it's a wonderful world to behold through their eyes. There are many awesome enrichment lessons out there - it's exhilarating and daunting at the same time!

We parents will have to agree that it's quite an adventure keeping up with these developing minds! It's great when they discover an interest and run with it though, especially in this day and age where distractions are abundant.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
The robotics club sounds fantastic! How intriguing and rewarding for your daughter to create her own robot from scratch. You're right; there's such a wide array of options nowadays - plenty of fun and educational opportunities to keep our kids engaged and inspired.

Some of the coolest ones I've stumbled upon include a circus arts class, where kids learn juggling, tightrope walking, and acrobatic tricks. It promotes agility, balance and coordination! For something more tranquil, there's also a popular flower arrangement workshop that teaches the fundamentals of ikebana, Japanese-style floral art. These are such lovely ways to unleash their energies and embrace their passions!
Wow, those are unique and cool options! Circus arts sound like so much fun, and the precision and grace needed for tightrope walking is impressive. What an incredible way to develop some real skills!

The floral arrangement workshop is a lovely idea too, especially for those inclined towards nature and art. The patience and precision required for ikebana can be very therapeutic, an engaging practice for kids as well. You've certainly given us food for thought - these classes are awesome!

Circus Arts are a fun and unique way to develop motor skills, balance and coordination - and a great confidence booster too! Floral arrangement and ikebana especially can help foster a deep appreciation for nature and creativity. These enrichment classes offer so many wonderful skill sets for kids to discover and enjoy.

Circus Arts are an amazing option! It's impressive to see the skills children develop physically outside of traditional sports. The hand-eye coordination and balance required are so important, and it's a unique skill set they can carry with them. Plus, the confidence and self-esteem boost of learning Circus Arts cannot be overstated.

The mindfulness that comes with floral arrangement and ikebana is also such a great skill for kids to learn. An appreciation for nature, plus the creativity and precision required, helps develop a focused and grounded mindset. You rarely see these art forms and it's wonderful to see the benefits they offer!

Circus Arts are a fantastic outlet for children to channel their energy and physically engage, especially as an alternative to traditional sports. The skill development and coordination it fosters are impressive and can boost their confidence too!

Floral arrangement and ikebana, on the other side of the spectrum, provide a wonderful mindful break from academia. They cultivate an appreciation for nature and also encourage creativity - a focused hobby that results in beautiful displays.

It's awesome to see the varied benefits these after-school enrichments offer! What other unique programs have you guys come across that help develop essential skills?

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Circus Arts are a fantastic outlet for children to channel their energy and physically engage, especially as an alternative to traditional sports. The skill development and coordination it fosters are impressive and can boost their confidence too!

Floral arrangement and ikebana, on the other side of the spectrum, provide a wonderful mindful break from academia. They cultivate an appreciation for nature and also encourage creativity - a focused hobby that results in beautiful displays.

It's awesome to see the varied benefits these after-school enrichments offer! What other unique programs have you guys come across that help develop essential skills?
I agree completely! Circus skills and the likes are wonderful alternatives to the more conventional extra-curricular activities. They cater to a wide range of interests and really allow kids to uncover their passions, especially those who may not be sports-inclined.

There are some awesome cooking and baking classes that help teach essential life skills too - an art that goes beyond just nourishment and encourages mindfulness in the kitchen! Learning knife skills, basic culinary techniques, and even the chemistry behind recipes is incredibly educational. These programs foster independence and can spark a lifelong appreciation for nutritious (and delicious!) cooking.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Circus skills and the array of options within the arts are fantastic avenues for children to explore their passions, especially those who aren't drawn to conventional sports. You mentioned cooking and baking classes - it's amazing how these programs encourage mindfulness and independence, and can kindle a love for nutritious cooking lifelong! The joy of creating something delicious is a wonderful reward.

The variety of after-school enrichments today is incredible - there's surely something for every interest.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
The arts and circus skills are a great way to develop essential motor skills and encourage self-expression among children.

Cooking and baking classes have such a positive impact on cultivating mindfulness, especially when they involve an understanding of healthy and nutritious food choices. It's a great way to empower kids with essential life skills too!

The array of after-school options today is wonderful, and it's heartening to see so many diverse interests being catered to.

I couldn't agree more!

The circus arts are a fantastic way to develop coordination and spatial awareness, and also build self-confidence - especially as kids learn to master a new skill. It's a great outlet for expression too, and can encourage an appreciation for the performing arts from an early age.

Mindfulness and cooking/baking go hand in hand; teaching children about nutrition and healthy eating is so important these days, and can easily be incorporated into fun, educational activities.

It's wonderful to see so many parents encouraging their kids to explore these diverse extracurricular options.

Both circus arts and mindfulness cooking/baking sessions offer a wonderful array of skills and advantages! It's great to hear that the children have an opportunity to explore such diverse activities that foster physical, emotional, and educational growth.

The coordination, expression and confidence building attributes of circus arts are invaluable for kids' overall development. And mindfulness and cooking/baking sessions cleverly integrate fun and learning to teach them about nutrition - a crucial aspect for their wellbeing. It's heartening to witness such enriching experiences beyond the academic curriculum.

both activity options are amazing! Circus arts help children develop essential motor skills and foster confidence through creative expression. Meanwhile, mindfulness and cooking/baking sessions smartly combine fun and education, offering an insightful glimpse into nutritious eating. These activities' holistic approach to growth is a welcome addition to the regular curriculum and exposure to diverse interests.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu