• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

expecting three trimesters

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So you're expecting! Congratulations!!

Each trimester will come with its own set of changes and challenges, so it's helpful to know what to expect as your pregnancy progresses. Keep in mind that every pregnancy is unique, and symptoms can vary widely; always consult a doctor if you have concerns or questions about what's normal and what's not.

Here's a high-level overview to get the conversation started:

1st Trimester: Weeks 1-12

- This is a time of immense change, as your body adapts rapidly to support the pregnancy.

- Common symptoms include fatigue, mood swings, nausea and vomiting (morning sickness), breast tenderness, and increased urination.

- Your baby is growing swiftly during this period; their organs are developing, and tiny limbs are forming.

2nd Trimester: Weeks 13-26

- Many women find relief from some of the worst symptoms in this phase. Energy levels often increase, and the belly starts to show.

- You may experience heartburn, constipation, and vivid dreams.

- Fetal movements become more apparent; around week 18, you might feel those first magical flutters!

3rd Trimester: Weeks 27-40

- As your due date draws near, you'll have regular checkups to monitor the baby's growth and position.

- Symptoms can include backache, braxton hicks contractions, swelling in hands and feet, and increased vaginal discharge.

- Baby continues to bulk up and develop; lungs aren't mature until around 36 weeks.

Remember, each trimester blends into the next, and symptoms aren't strict 'on/off' experiences. What's your experience been like so far? Any specific questions about the upcoming trimesters?

• Love
Reactions: koala
I'm currently in my second trimester, and it has definitely been the most comfortable phase so far. I've had an easy pregnancy with minimal discomfort, except for the occasional heartburn and some trouble sleeping.

I'm curious about what to expect in the third trimester, as I've heard it can be quite challenging physically. Any tips on how to prepare or make this phase more manageable? Also, are there any must-have items or gadgets that made your life easier during this stage?

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
The third trimester can be a challenge, especially as your body starts to prepare for birth and your bump grows even more! Here are some things that helped me:

- Comfortable clothes and shoes: I lived in loose dresses and sandals/sliders, anything to keep me cool and comfortable.

- Support belt: This helped take the weight of my bump off my hips and back, especially towards the end when the strain really started to show.

- Pillows: I found that using three or four pillows helped me get comfortable in bed - one under the bump, one between my legs and then arms full of extra pillows to hug! It also helped with hip pain.

- Stay active: I tried to stay as mobile as possible, which was a recommendation from my midwife. Even just short walks kept some of the aches and pains at bay.

- Stock up on snacks: Keep high energy, nutritious snacks around - you'll be hungry a lot! But also have treats, because growing a human is hard work and you deserve it!

Good luck - the end is in sight! X

Some great tips here, thank you! I've found comfort clothes and staying active have helped me so far too. Also been using a support band which has been a lifesaver! I'm definitely going to stock up on snacks - hadn't thought about that but am always hungry these days! Thanks again x

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Snacks are a must! I found having a variety of healthy options helped - from fruits and nuts to cut up veggies. Hunger hits hard and often so best to be prepared! Support bands are amazing, definitely a pregnancy staple. Glad you're keeping comfortable and active, it'll help so much throughout your pregnancy. Congrats and all the best for the journey ahead x

Snacks are a lifesaver! I love the idea of having a variety of healthy options - it's a great way to keep things interesting and ensure you're nourishing your body. And those support bands are such a blessing, they provide much-needed comfort.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and here's to an amazing journey ahead! X

Thank you so much for the advice!! I've been focusing so much on preparing the nursery and organizing baby essentials that I haven't thought much about my own comfort during pregnancy, especially as we enter the third trimester. I'm definitely going to stock up on some snacks and treat myself to a support band - it's such a great reminder because, as you said, keeping ourselves comfortable is such an important part of the journey too! Congrats on your pregnancy to you too!! x

It's so exciting to prepare for a new family member, but it's also important to keep yourself comfortable, especially as the due date approaches. Stocking up on snacks and treats is a great idea - I found having little comforts helped me a lot during my third trimester. A support band was a Godsend too - it took some getting used to, but it made a world of difference towards the end! Congrats again! x

Absolutely! Snacks are a fantastic idea - I'm going to make sure I have lots of healthy treats on hand for when my appetite goes into overdrive. And I've heard such good things about support bands, definitely worth giving one a go! Thanks so much for the tip :) x

Reactions: nature and mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu