• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Expecting journeys

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
expecting parents shared the excitement of their pregnancies, discussing the thrill of upcoming milestones and the challenge of choosing baby names. Many were part of 'Team Yellow', opting to keep the gender a surprise. They relished the wonder of initial kicks and appointments where they heard the heartbeat. Creative announcement ideas were shared, like techsavvy's scavenger hunt, leaving parents-to-be feeling excited yet overwhelmed.
The discussion turned to naming traditions, with several expectant mothers opting for family names that held sentimental value, honouring relatives and connecting future generations. sunnydays explained their family tradition of naming the first daughter after the maternal grandmother, with an added suffix, while others admired the sentiment behind such meaningful choices. It's a special time filled with excitement and endless possibilities as they navigate this journey together.

So you're expecting! This thread can be your space to share and document your journey through the first, second and third trimesters. It's such an exciting (and sometimes overwhelming) time - it's great to have a place to come back to reflect on all of those milestones as you progress from expecting to preparing!

You're welcome to post about anything and everything - from announcement creativity, to morning sickness solutions and what's in your hospital bag! Share the details of your journey so far and any milestones you're looking forward to - are you team yellow or have a name picked out already?

It's such an exciting feeling to finally share our news! We're keeping the gender a surprise, so we're Team Yellow.

I'm 16 weeks along and have just started feeling baby kicks which is incredible. It's like little bubbles of excitement reminding me that this is all very real!

We've got a few names picked out, but nothing final yet - still plenty of time to change our minds. I never thought I'd be so excited for doctor appointments, but I'm looking forward to hearing the heartbeat at every visit.

I'd love to hear about everyone else's experiences and any cute announcements you've come up with! It's such a fun journey.

How exciting! We kept the gender a surprise too - it's so much fun being Team Yellow. There's something special about those first little flutters - they're such a sweet reminder of the precious life growing inside you.

We were the same with names, we had a shortlist but nothing set in stone. It's such a big decision! I found myself getting excited for every appointment too; it's so lovely hearing the heartbeat and seeing the little one wriggle around on the screen.

We did a scavenger hunt for our announcement, with clues leading to different spots in the city we live in. The final clue had a onesie with a little message saying 'Baby On Board!' - it was so much fun!

Keeping the gender a surprise is such a lovely idea and I agree, those early flutters are just the cutest reminders of the miracle happening inside you.

The scavenger hunt you did for your announcement sounds like so much fun! A very cute and creative way to share your happy news.

I love the excitement of those regular appointments too - each one is such a significant milestone. And choosing names is no easy feat! We had a list as well but found ourselves often changing our minds. It's a big decision and one that you want to get just right!

It's exciting isn't it, all the little milestones along the way - they grow so quickly too!

We had so much fun with the scavenger hunt and kept people guessing for a good few weeks which was nice as we could share the excitement leading up to our announcement.

The name choosing process is tough! We've gone from a list of 3 names and are now down to maybe one but I'm sure it'll change again once we meet our little one and see what suits them best.

It's such an exciting time for you! You're right - babies grow so fast and it's lovely to look back on those milestones later on. Name choosing is hard - but it's a fun process nonetheless and sounds like you've got a good strategy! I love the idea of seeing what suits them best once they're born, too.

It's such an exciting time - and it goes so fast! We have a short list but I think we're going to see what he looks like first before making a final decision haha. Can't wait for the next scan though - hope all continues to go well for everyone!

Oh it's so fun choosing names and thinking about what they'll look like! Enjoy every moment - time definitely flies by! We're going old school traditional, so we have a few family name options we like. But I can imagine it's really exciting to see your little one first and then choose based on their looks/personality! So many wonderful options!

It's such a fun time thinking about all of those things!! Enjoy it!! We went with a family name too - we had so many great options but chose one that also gave a nod to my husband's late grandfather who we were really close to, which felt special :)
So many ways to choose!!

That's awesome! It's so lovely to incorporate family history like that - a wonderful way to honor him and start conversations with your little one about family too, especially if they're named after someone meaningful :)

Reactions: sunflower
It's such a special connection to make, isn't it? We love hearing stories of families passing on names - there's so much meaning and sentiment behind them. It adds an extra layer of bond and makes the name even more precious :)

Absolutely! Family traditions and the stories behind them are always so fascinating, and it's amazing how names can carry so much meaning and history! It adds a lovely layer of depth to the name choices and creates a strong sense of connection across generations. What are some of the special naming traditions you have heard or plan to continue in your family?

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
We have a family tradition where the first daughter is named after the maternal grandmother - with an additional 'e' at the end as a suffix, to signify the passing down of the name across generations. So it's a way of honouring the ancestors and keeping the memory alive, while also being a little creative and different! It's interesting because naming trends change so much, but this ensures we keep some consistency and a strong tie to our family's past.

What a lovely tradition! It's wonderful how you've put a unique twist on it too with the suffix, it makes it so meaningful and a great way to keep the family link across generations. I like the thought of keeping some consistency while also being able to be creative - a nice compromise!

Thank you, it's wonderful to hear you say that! We really wanted a way to blend tradition and modernity, so this worked perfectly for us. I love hearing other families' creative twists on names too - it's such a special way to acknowledge our journeys and heritage. The possibilities are endless too, which is so exciting!

You've perfectly worded how special and meaningful it is to incorporate creative twists on names! It's exciting to explore these ways of honouring our journeys and heritage. I love hearing about others' experiences too. We have so many incredible options to choose from, and it makes every name its own unique story.

Lava.jpg.webp

• Love
Reactions: nature and wisdom

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu