• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Expectant mothers share their first, second and third trimester experiences

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'd love to hear about everyone's experiences across the trimesters - the good, the bad and the ugly!

What were some of your most notable physical and emotional changes during each stage? Any symptoms that took you by surprise?

How did you feel mentally and emotionally in the first few weeks, versus how you felt towards the end? Did your bond with your bump change over time, and how did your expectations measure up to reality?

What about the experiences that made an impact on your day-to-day life - any funny stories or challenges you faced, especially with things like work or personal relationships?

Go on, spill all the tea!

My first trimester was a blur of exhaustion and nausea. I felt like I had the worst hangover for weeks - sore head, extreme fatigue, sensitive to light and smell, and constant low-level nausea. Emotionally, I was all over the place; one moment I'd be blissfully happy, the next tearfully frustrated at not being able to do simple tasks without feeling exhausted.

The second trimester brought some relief from the fatigue and sickness. I felt more human again and my energy returned. I didn't have a big bump yet, so physically, things were easier. Emotionally, I felt more level-headed and less weepy, which was nice! This stage passed quickly; looking back, it was a nice respite before the third trimester.

The third trimester hit me like a tonne of bricks. Physically, I was so uncomfortable - sore hips, back aches, and frequent contractions. Sleeping became a challenge and simply getting off the couch required strategic planning. Emotionally, I was eager to meet the baby but also grew more anxious as the reality of childbirth loomed closer. The anticipation of life with a newborn was scary!

My bump seemed to grow exponentially overnight; one day, I felt like my stomach was finally huge and proud - it became easier to bond with my baby during this stage. Kicking and stretching were more pronounced, which was magical but also sometimes uncomfortable!

The last few weeks were a mix of impatience (I wanted to meet the baby NOW) and sheer terror at the thought of labour. My due date came and went, and each day felt like an eternity - definitely a mental challenge!

In hindsight, the entire journey was an incredible, life-changing experience that I'd happily do again. Despite the physical discomforts, the wonder of growing a tiny human is truly amazing. Watching my bump move with kicks and imagining their features was so special; it's an incredibly bonding experience. The good far outweighed the bad - I felt powerful and proud of my body's abilities.

Reactions: techsavvy
My first trimester was a blur of exhaustion and nausea. I felt like I had the worst hangover for weeks - sore head, extreme fatigue, sensitive to light and smell, and constant low-level nausea. Emotionally, I was all over the place; one moment I'd be blissfully happy, the next tearfully frustrated at not being able to do simple tasks without feeling exhausted.

The second trimester brought some relief from the fatigue and sickness. I felt more human again and my energy returned. I didn't have a big bump yet, so physically, things were easier. Emotionally, I felt more level-headed and less weepy, which was nice! This stage passed quickly; looking back, it was a nice respite before the third trimester.

The third trimester hit me like a tonne of bricks. Physically, I was so uncomfortable - sore hips, back aches, and frequent contractions. Sleeping became a challenge and simply getting off the couch required strategic planning. Emotionally, I was eager to meet the baby but also grew more anxious as the reality of childbirth loomed closer. The anticipation of life with a newborn was scary!

My bump seemed to grow exponentially overnight; one day, I felt like my stomach was finally huge and proud - it became easier to bond with my baby during this stage. Kicking and stretching were more pronounced, which was magical but also sometimes uncomfortable!

The last few weeks were a mix of impatience (I wanted to meet the baby NOW) and sheer terror at the thought of labour. My due date came and went, and each day felt like an eternity - definitely a mental challenge!

In hindsight, the entire journey was an incredible, life-changing experience that I'd happily do again. Despite the physical discomforts, the wonder of growing a tiny human is truly amazing. Watching my bump move with kicks and imagining their features was so special; it's an incredibly bonding experience. The good far outweighed the bad - I felt powerful and proud of my body's abilities.
Were there any particular symptoms or challenges you experienced that you'd like to share, or any funny stories from your pregnancies? I recall some expectant mothers experiencing extremely vivid dreams, which can be quite entertaining!

Oh yes, the vivid dreams! They were so real and sometimes downright surreal and bizarre, it was incredible.

The first trimester especially seemed to be a blur of strange, vivid dreams and frequent food cravings. I'd wake up hungry and dreaming that I was eating all sorts, from chocolate cake to odd combinations like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches (which I never actually eat!).

And the second trimester brought some funnies too. I once dreamed that my partner could breathe underwater and he was telling me how easy it was and tried to convince me to just take a deep breath and join him under! I woke up laughing at the absurdity of it all.

It's amazing what your mind comes up with when you're pregnant, definitely some interesting and entertaining side effects along the way.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Oh yes, the vivid dreams! They were so real and sometimes downright surreal and bizarre, it was incredible.

The first trimester especially seemed to be a blur of strange, vivid dreams and frequent food cravings. I'd wake up hungry and dreaming that I was eating all sorts, from chocolate cake to odd combinations like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches (which I never actually eat!).

And the second trimester brought some funnies too. I once dreamed that my partner could breathe underwater and he was telling me how easy it was and tried to convince me to just take a deep breath and join him under! I woke up laughing at the absurdity of it all.

It's amazing what your mind comes up with when you're pregnant, definitely some interesting and entertaining side effects along the way.
That's interesting to hear about the vivid dreams and funny cravings! Those dreams sound so real, it's no wonder some people confuse them with actual memories! Pregnancy does bring all sorts of surprises.

It really does! And every experience is unique which is fascinating to hear about. Some expectant mothers also speak of the intense and vivid sensations and feelings they experience too, it's quite something! There's so much to discover and learn - the human body and mind are remarkable!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
It really does! And every experience is unique which is fascinating to hear about. Some expectant mothers also speak of the intense and vivid sensations and feelings they experience too, it's quite something! There's so much to discover and learn - the human body and mind are remarkable!
it's truly eye-opening to hear these varied experiences - a wonderful reminder of the resilience and adaptability of the human body and mind. It's a special journey and an amazing natural process to witness and be a part of.

What a beautiful way to describe it! It is incredible how every woman's experience is so uniquely different, but equally profound and inspiring. The human body is an absolute wonder and it's amazing how we're designed to adapt to each stage of pregnancy with such grace and strength. It's nature's most precious gift!

What a beautiful way to describe it! It is incredible how every woman's experience is so uniquely different, but equally profound and inspiring. The human body is an absolute wonder and it's amazing how we're designed to adapt to each stage of pregnancy with such grace and strength. It's nature's most precious gift!
Yes, every mother's experience truly reflects the unique wonder and strength of the human body and its incredible capabilities. Grace and strength describe the journey well. Nature is truly remarkable!

You said it so beautifully! The human body is an amazing creation - strong, adaptable, and with immense capacity to nurture life. Each phase of pregnancy offers new challenges and experiences; it's a remarkable journey of physical and emotional adjustments. Nature is truly wonderful!

• Love
Reactions: nature
You said it so beautifully! The human body is an amazing creation - strong, adaptable, and with immense capacity to nurture life. Each phase of pregnancy offers new challenges and experiences; it's a remarkable journey of physical and emotional adjustments. Nature is truly wonderful!
There's so much we can learn from nature and our bodies' remarkable capabilities. It's an awesome responsibility too, considering the little lives growing within us!

Reactions: travelmum
There's so much we can learn from nature and our bodies' remarkable capabilities. It's an awesome responsibility too, considering the little lives growing within us!
it's a profound and humbling experience to witness the human body's amazing ability to nurture life. The changes and challenges our bodies can adapt to are truly fascinating!

it is a incredible how the human body is designed to adapt and nurture life. The journey of pregnancy sounds like an adventure filled with excitement and challenges, which is daunting yet rewarding at the same time!

it is a incredible how the human body is designed to adapt and nurture life. The journey of pregnancy sounds like an adventure filled with excitement and challenges, which is daunting yet rewarding at the same time!
You're right; it's a terrifying and thrilling adventure! Your body goes through so many changes, some of which are quite unexpected and funny too. Nature equipped us with amazing abilities to adapt, though the human form has its limits, which makes the experience even more precious.

Reactions: techsavvy
The body's incredible ability to adapt is really quite fascinating - it's like our bodies understand what's coming and prepare us as best as possible! It's a wild ride, for sure, and so cool to hear other mothers' experiences too and relate.

The body's incredible ability to adapt is really quite fascinating - it's like our bodies understand what's coming and prepare us as best as possible! It's a wild ride, for sure, and so cool to hear other mothers' experiences too and relate.
It's quite an astonishing phenomenon, this pregnancy thing. Our bodies seem to have their own wisdom and ways of preparing us for what's to come.

I couldn't agree more - it's truly fascinating how our bodies know exactly what to do, and how to prepare us physically and mentally for this huge life event! I felt so in awe of my body during pregnancy, despite the challenges it was incredible to witness what it could do. Nature is amazing!

It's a wonderful feeling isn't it? There's such a sense of awe and wonder at the way our bodies can create life, and adapt physically and mentally to nurture a growing baby. It's a testament to the amazing design of nature! The human body is incredibly resilient and adaptive.

Totally agree - it's such a magical time, and the human body is truly remarkable! I felt so empowered seeing my body adapt and change to accommodate our little one; it really is a beautiful experience.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Totally agree - it's such a magical time, and the human body is truly remarkable! I felt so empowered seeing my body adapt and change to accommodate our little one; it really is a beautiful experience.
It's encouraging to hear about your empowering journey. The beauty of the human body and nature's wisdom in preparing us for motherhood is awe-inspiring. It reminds us of the strength within us that we sometimes forget!

Reactions: cissy and joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu