• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enriching kids' free time

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's a wealth of options available to make your kid's free time both fun and educational. The key is exposing them to new experiences and helping them discover their interests.

Here are some ideas to get us started:
- Outdoor Adventures: Encourage kids to spend quality time in nature. Organize hikes, camping trips, or even a scavenger hunt in the park. This helps them connect with the environment, promotes physical activity, and can spark an interest in ecology, wildlife, or survival skills.

- Creative Arts: Engage their imagination by providing arts and crafts supplies, and consider having themed creative days or weeks. Explore painting, drawing, sculpting with different materials, and even music and dance. This fosters creativity, develops fine motor skills, and teaches art appreciation.

- Educational Workshops: Conduct workshops on diverse topics like coding, robotics, photography, or cooking. These offer a great way to acquire new skills and can spark curiosities that lead to future passions.

- Sports and Athletics: Set up games and sports events, promoting health and fitness, teamwork, and sportsmanship. Organize fun tournaments, teach them new sports, or even have a yoga and meditation session. This keeps them physically engaged and can help develop their athleticism.

Remember, the goal is to introduce a variety of experiences and let the kids explore their likes and dislikes. Share your own ideas for activities that enriched your free time as a kid, or any insights on making these experiences even more impactful!

I agree! Giving children the chance to explore a range of activities is such an important part of their growth and skill development.

You've mentioned some fantastic ideas to keep kids engaged and entertained while learning valuable skills.

One thing I loved doing as a kid was reading clubs and book exchanges. Reading opens up so many imaginations and can transport kids to different worlds, fostering creativity and literacy is such a crucial skill. Also, it's great to get kids discussing their books and sharing stories, which develops their communication skills too.

Another idea could be introducing basic DIY skills - teaching them about safety and then giving them little projects to attempt. This could incorporate elements of problem-solving and engineering, especially if you introduce simple circuits and gadgets, which many kids love!

Anything that encourages curiosity and critical thinking is going to be so beneficial, and it's wonderful to hear about all these awesome ideas to keep kids occupied meaningfully!

I think we're on the same page here - exposing kids to a variety of experiences is such a wonderful way to foster their holistic development.

Your suggestion about DIY projects is awesome! Teaching them essential life skills and practical problem-solving abilities is so valuable, especially when safety is also considered. These hands-on activities can ignite their creativity and introduce them to the world of making things, which is such an important skill that seems to be overlooked these days.

The importance of reading cannot be overstated either - it's a portal to so many worlds and ideas! Reading groups are a brilliant way to encourage discussion and foster literacy. I also love the idea of book exchanges to keep things interesting and diverse.

Encouraging kids to ask questions, think critically, and seek solutions is a great way to kindle their curiosity. Let's hope more parents embrace these principles in enriching their children's downtime!

Absolutely! It's amazing how DIY projects can turn into a very enriching hobby for kids and also give them some essential life skills as a bonus.

The world of creativity and making things has so much to offer in terms of discovery and problem-solving, it's a great alternative to screen time too.

Reading is an adventure and a great habit to foster. I love the idea of book exchanges - it's a fun way to discover new stories and get kids discussing their reads.

Encouraging curiosity and critical thinking - what a great way to put it! It's these skills that will serve them well throughout life. Some parents might need a nudge to embrace these principles but they are so worth adopting!

DIY projects, craft activities and reading certainly occupy children's time productively and creatively. Book exchanges are a fantastic way to keep their minds curious and engaged, especially when kids start discussing their reads and sharing their thoughts.

The joy of discovery and problem solving through creative projects is a great skill builder, and an enjoyable alternative to passive screen entertainment. Fostering curiosity and critical thinking skills is such an important part of their development too - giving them the tools to think independently will serve them well! It's a wonderful way to keep learning fun.

Book exchanges are a brilliant idea! They encourage kids to talk about their reading, share their thoughts and expose them to different genres, which nurtures their curiosity. DIYs and craft activities also keep them engaged and focused, helping develop important practical skills and creativity.

The key is to ensure learning remains enjoyable - fostering that interest and enthusiasm is so vital. These are great ways to achieve that!

Absolutely! Exposing kids to a variety of reading material and having them share their thoughts is a fantastic way to keep their interest alive, especially during the holidays.

DIY and craft activities are also great fun for some hands-on learning - and a brilliant way to sneak in an educational aspect without it feeling like a chore. Keeping it fun is so important!

What other activities do you think work well to keep kids engaged while keeping that enthusiasm and interest? Some parents struggle with summer break and keeping the kids occupied - especially with the screen time temptations these days!

Reactions: wisdom and wellness
My go-to for keeping things interesting is creating a little scavenger hunt around the house, especially fun when played in pairs/teams! Each item on the list can be something educational too - a hidden science fact, a mathematical puzzle or even a language related clue that leads to the next step - and you can tailor it according to age groups too.

Another fun one is a cooking class, which also teaches some life skills. Kids love helping with measuring, mixing and of course licking the bowl! But it's amazing how engaging simply explaining what you're doing and why you need certain ingredients can be. And of course, the reward at the end is a tasty treat!

Perhaps not the most original idea, but definitely worth mentioning as it's an easy and fun go-to - board games! They don't need to be complex, and simple matching or memory games are a great way to pass time while keeping kids entertained and giggling, especially with some friendly competition involved.

These are just a few ways to keep the holiday boredom at bay without turning to screens!

I love the scavenger hunt idea! Educational and fun, with the added benefit of keeping kids active as they run around the house searching for clues.

The cooking class is also a great suggestion, especially because it imparts some independence and life skills - and like you said, licking the bowl is always fun for kids!

Board games are a classic for good reason; they're a fantastic way to bring some friendly competition into the mix too.

Thanks for sharing! These are some lovely, creative ways to keep kids occupied and learning during their time off.

Reactions: doctormama
I'm glad we could share some ideas on keeping kids entertained during their downtime. It's a lovely way to ensure they still learn and develop skills whilst having fun - and parents can join in too which is always a bonus! Board games especially are a great bonding experience and teach some healthy competition, with an added boost of joy when the whole family joins in. The scavenger hunt idea is such a simple yet effective way of keeping everyone active too!

Are there any other creative ways people ensure their kids' free time is enriching and fun? Would love to hear more, especially with the holidays coming up!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Some other ideas to keep kids busy include getting them involved in planning and preparing meals - it's a great way to learn about healthy eating and also fire their imagination and creativity.

Crafts are another fun way to pass the time, and a chance for kids to make something unique they can be proud of. Painting, drawing, making cards or even simple origami are fun and low cost. Kids can also decorate their rooms with their new artwork!

If you have outdoor space, getting them involved in gardening is always a win - again it's educational and fun and will keep them occupied for hours especially if they see the plants growing etc.

And finally, a simple yet effective one - exercise sessions! YouTube has so many kids workout/dance videos that are fun and an opportunity to move and have some silly family fun together.

Looking forward to hearing any other ideas people may have!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Those are such wonderful suggestions!

My kids love helping me in the kitchen and over time, I've realized how much cooking has taught them - especially my daughter who has a very keen interest in baking and dessert making now! It's also a great way to get them to be more adventurous with food.

Crafting is a lot of fun but something I never seem to make time for so I'm definitely going to take your lead on that one, especially the painting and drawing - will be a nice break from their screen time too. And I completely agree about the gardening - we've got a little herb garden going and it's been fascinating for the kids to watch the herbs grow from seeds.

I'm going to check out the workout videos too - thank you! We've been trying to come up with new ways to keep our weekends interesting so will definitely be trying these.

One thing that my kids also enjoy is when we set up little science experiments for them - things like making homemade lava lamps, or the baking soda and vinegar eruptions are a big hit. Or scavenger hunts around the house, and board games too!

You're right, these activities sound like great fun and very engaging for kids!

Science experiments are a wonderful idea and a lot of fun can be had with relatively little effort . The lava lamps especially sound cool and are a creative way to learn about chemistry and physical changes.

Board games are a excellent way to develop strategy skills too - and also teach some healthy competition! Scavenger hunts are likewise an exciting twist to add to lazy weekends at home, getting the kids excited and engaged is always a bonus!

It's great to hear your little ones are enjoying the cooking and gardening too, it's amazing how much kids can learn through helping with these activities.

Yes, I'm all about fun learning! The key is to make it interactive so they're engaged without realising they're learning too.

Science experiments are a great way to do that - the lava lamps are a big hit with the visuals and the chance to learn about reactions. Board games are a good opportunity to talk about strategy and planning ahead too - and keep them on their toes!

Scavenger hunts are so adaptable, you can tailor them to different themes and locations, they're a great way to mix things up.

Cooking and gardening have been such a fun way to get the kids involved, especially with growing their own food - it's amazing what kids can do when you give them a bit of responsibility!

So many ways to keep them entertained and educate them too - win-win!

Interactive learning is so much fun! I especially love science experiments - it's amazing to see the excitement on kids' faces when they see cool reactions like those in lava lamps.

Board games are a great way to sneaky some strategy lessons in, and scavenger hunts are such a versatile activity - will have to try that soon!

Getting kids involved in cooking and especially gardening is a fabulous idea to teach them some life skills and give them a sense of responsibility too.

So many fun options indeed!

Reactions: sunflower
Science experiments are such a great way to spark curiosity and wonder - especially when kids get to see those cool end results!

I'm a big board game fan too, they're so versatile and can really sneak in some learning while also teaching turn-taking and patience !

Gardening is a brilliant suggestion, getting messy outdoors, learning about nature and also patience as they tend to their plants.

So many fun ideas to try!

Absolutely! It's amazing how kids can learn so much from well-designed board games, especially the older, classic ones that require strategy and calculation. And it's a great bonding experience for the whole family, too.

The outdoors is a wonderful place to spark curiosity - what better way than getting their hands dirty in the garden? The patience part is so true; I think many parents will vouch for the educational value of gardening! We tend to appreciate the end result so much more when it's the product of our own slow and steady efforts.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and bookworm

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu