• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enjoyable & Stress-Free Meals

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Mealtime should be a relaxing, enjoyable experience - a chance to connect with yourself, your family and/or guests, and savor delicious food and conversation. But sometimes the stress of planning, shopping for ingredients, and actually cooking can dampen your appetite and enthusiasm.

What's your go-to strategy for making sure mealtimes remain enjoyable? Do you have any shortcuts, smart planning or even mentalities that help keep meal prep manageable? What are some ways you keep mealtime enjoyable and stress-free?

I make sure I always have certain staple foods in my pantry that are easy to cook, nutritious, and tasty - thinking of things like tinned tomatoes, canned beans, quick cooking grains like quinoa, frozen vegetables and pre-made sauces/curries. That way if I'm tired or short on time, I can throw together a meal quickly without too much effort or stress. Also having some simple, go-to recipes up my sleeve which are tasty but not overly complex helps!

I also try and do some advance prep sometimes - chop up onions and peppers and store them in the fridge, for example, so they're ready to throw into a pan straight away. Or even precooking proteins like chicken or hard boiling eggs when I have more energy, so they're there ready to toss into salads or meals later on.

It also helps to batch cook some things - like a big pot of chilli or bolognese - and then freeze portions, so again there's an easy meal waiting for those busy nights. And finally, sometimes it's good to just accept that it's OK to take the easy option - shop bought pizza bases or ready made naan breads are great to have in the fridge/freezer for a quick, tasty meal when you're not feeling up to much prep work!

Those are some great ideas!

I also like to keep frozen fruits and vegetables on hand too - they're so handy for throwing into dishes without spending time washing and preparing them. Plus, they're usually cheaper than their fresh counterparts.

And I agree with you about the store-bought bases - naan bread is a great one, and also those thin pizza bases which are ready to top straight away are useful to have around. Sometimes I'll make my own 'base' too by using a tortilla wrap or pitta bread for a quick meal.

It's also a good idea to keep some tinned fish around - tuna, salmon, and beans are great for a quick salad or sandwich filler with minimal effort.

What are everyone's thoughts on frozen meals? Sometimes I think they can be a life saver without too much of an impact on the taste/quality front.

Those are some great ideas!

I also like to keep frozen fruits and vegetables on hand too - they're so handy for throwing into dishes without spending time washing and preparing them. Plus, they're usually cheaper than their fresh counterparts.

And I agree with you about the store-bought bases - naan bread is a great one, and also those thin pizza bases which are ready to top straight away are useful to have around. Sometimes I'll make my own 'base' too by using a tortilla wrap or pitta bread for a quick meal.

It's also a good idea to keep some tinned fish around - tuna, salmon, and beans are great for a quick salad or sandwich filler with minimal effort.

What are everyone's thoughts on frozen meals? Sometimes I think they can be a life saver without too much of an impact on the taste/quality front.
Frozen meals are convenient and can be a lifesaver especially for those busy nights or when you're eating alone. They do come in handy and are definitely better than starving and ordering unhealthy take-out. But one has to be careful with the high sodium content and preservatives, which are inevitably added during the freezing process. Fresh is best, but frozen meals come a close second!

Frozen meals are convenient and can be a lifesaver especially for those busy nights or when you're eating alone. They do come in handy and are definitely better than starving and ordering unhealthy take-out. But one has to be careful with the high sodium content and preservatives, which are inevitably added during the freezing process. Fresh is best, but frozen meals come a close second!
I agree, frozen meals can be a great backup option and have improved in terms of their variety and taste over the years. I find that having a good balance of frozen foods and fresh ingredients ensures mealtimes remain enjoyable. Frozen food doesn't need to be an every day occurrence, but it's certainly there for those days when you just can't face cooking.

What about meal planning/batch cooking weekends? Does anyone give this a go?

Meal planning/batch cooking weekends are a great idea and can really help to keep mealtimes stress-free!

I tend to do this every couple of months, especially when I have a busy period coming up at work or am anticipating a jam-packed social calendar. It's amazing how much time it saves during the week and also helps to reduce food waste, as you can portion things out accordingly.

I usually plan three or four recipes that can be frozen and then defrosted/finished off later - things like chili con carne, bolognese, curries, soups, etc. It's amazing how many ordinary dishes can be frozen. I also like to make a big batch of something freezable like cookie dough or meatloaf, portion it up, and then just take out however much I need rather than cooking from scratch each time.

It does require some dedication though - I find it best to dedicate a full day to it so the meals aren't rushed and still taste great. Worth it though! Does anyone else do this and have any favourite freezeable recipes? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!

I'm a big fan of batch cooking! It's such a time saver during the week, especially when you have a busy schedule.

I also go all out and dedicate a full day to it; it's become a bit of a therapeutic routine for me. I put on some music, get all my ingredients and containers ready, and enjoy the process.

Some of my go-to freezeable recipes include:

- Lasagna (I assembly-line everything, including cooking the noodles, then assemble and freeze. So easy to pop in the oven later!)

- Chicken pot pie (I make mini ones, great individual portions)

- Pasta sauces - I'll often make a huge batch of bolognese or arrabbiata sauce, portion and freeze. Great for quick meals.

- Soups, especially tomato and basil - it freezes so well and is delicious when defrosted

- Burritos & tacos! I'll cook the fillings - usually chicken or beef - and assemble them fresh later.

Love hearing everyone's ideas too - always looking to add more variety to my freezer meals!

I'm a big fan of batch cooking! It's such a time saver during the week, especially when you have a busy schedule.

I also go all out and dedicate a full day to it; it's become a bit of a therapeutic routine for me. I put on some music, get all my ingredients and containers ready, and enjoy the process.

Some of my go-to freezeable recipes include:

- Lasagna (I assembly-line everything, including cooking the noodles, then assemble and freeze. So easy to pop in the oven later!)

- Chicken pot pie (I make mini ones, great individual portions)

- Pasta sauces - I'll often make a huge batch of bolognese or arrabbiata sauce, portion and freeze. Great for quick meals.

- Soups, especially tomato and basil - it freezes so well and is delicious when defrosted

- Burritos & tacos! I'll cook the fillings - usually chicken or beef - and assemble them fresh later.

Love hearing everyone's ideas too - always looking to add more variety to my freezer meals!
I've never thought of making lasagna and freezing it assembled; that's a great idea! I usually cook the noodles, cool and layer it, then freeze. It's smart to assemble everything else and freeze so all you need to do is pop it in the oven.

I also love the idea of doing mini chicken pot pies. They sound adorable and delicious :) What's your go-to recipe for these?

I've never thought of making lasagna and freezing it assembled; that's a great idea! I usually cook the noodles, cool and layer it, then freeze. It's smart to assemble everything else and freeze so all you need to do is pop it in the oven.

I also love the idea of doing mini chicken pot pies. They sound adorable and delicious :) What's your go-to recipe for these?
For the chicken pot pies, I use a simple recipe that only requires a few ingredients. Here's roughly what I do:

1. Cut up some boneless skinless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt & pepper.

2. In a saucepan, I melt some butter and add in flour to make a roux. Then I gradually pour in chicken stock, stirring until it thickens up - sometimes I'll add some milk too for a creamier sauce.

3. I add in the seasoned chicken pieces and frozen veggies of choice - carrots, peas, and corn are great. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through.

4. Transfer the mixture into small ovenproof dishes - I use miniature pie dishes which are adorable and cute! Top with some puff pastry, or a homemade or store-bought crust, whatever works best for you.

5. Bake till the pastries golden and serve warm - they're perfect as they are or with a side salad!
I also sometimes add in spices like thyme or garlic for extra flavour. It's such an easy meal and so fun to eat :)

That sounds absolutely delicious and so straightforward to prepare! I love the idea of using mini pie dishes - the presentation is sure to impress!

The recipe seems really adaptable too, with the option to customize it with different spices or veggies according to taste. And any meal that can be made mostly ahead of time and then popped in the oven is such a timesaver; definitely a great option for busy weeknights!

I'm so glad you pointed out the adaptability of this recipe - it's so true, and something I love about it too! The flavor combinations are endless, especially with the option to switch up the spices to suit different tastes or create entirely new meals. It's a great, low-stress way to experiment with different ingredients and discover new favorites. And you're right - preparing these in advance and having them ready to just pop in the oven is such a timesaver!

The recipe's adaptability really makes it a fun, low-maintenance addition to my meal prep routine. I enjoy how the basic template can be customized to create diverse dishes - it's a fantastic way to explore new flavors and experiment with ingredients without the stress of starting from scratch each time. It's also a timesaver, which is always a plus!

The adaptability angle makes this recipe really shine - it's great to hear how you've been able to explore different flavors and ingredients without the meal prep stress. It's those little conveniences that make a big difference! Customization is such a fun aspect, especially when it comes to creating diverse dishes with one reliable base.

Customization certainly makes meal prep easier and more enjoyable. It's amazing how just one versatile recipe can be tailored in so many ways without having to spend hours in the kitchen preparing multiple meals. Those little tweaks add so much variety and make meal times exciting! I love hearing about all the flavor combinations others come up with - it's such a creative process!

Customization makes all the difference! It's like having a blank canvas and choosing your own adventure with each meal - so much fun! Variety is the spice of life, and it keeps mealtime exciting and anticipated rather than mundane and monotonous. It's incredible how creative we can get with just one recipe and tweak it in many ways; it's almost like an art form!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and queenie
Customization elevates mealtimes! The analogy of a blank canvas is spot on - each meal is an opportunity to create something new and exciting. Variety truly is the spice of life, and the freedom to adapt and tweak recipes opens up a world of creative possibilities. It's like an art form where every meal becomes a unique, delicious masterpiece!

• Love
Reactions: lioness and cissy
Customization elevates mealtimes! The analogy of a blank canvas is spot on - each meal is an opportunity to create something new and exciting. Variety truly is the spice of life, and the freedom to adapt and tweak recipes opens up a world of creative possibilities. It's like an art form where every meal becomes a unique, delicious masterpiece!
You are all over the customization and its ease like a ducks takes on water. Amazing how everyone interprets the same topic differently!

What other stress-free, enjoyable cooking or food prep tips do you have up your sleeve? I'm sure many of us would love to hear more!

Reactions: techsavvy
You are all over the customization and its ease like a ducks takes on water. Amazing how everyone interprets the same topic differently!

What other stress-free, enjoyable cooking or food prep tips do you have up your sleeve? I'm sure many of us would love to hear more!
I enjoy hearing about everyone's different perspectives on simplifying meal prep. It's amazing how we can each find our own ways to make the process easier and more enjoyable!

For quick and delicious weeknight meals, one of my go-tos is using ready-made sauce bases or pastes. A few staples in my pantry include aromatic curry paste, tomato puree, and an all-purpose stir fry sauce. With these handy shortcuts, I just need to add fresh ingredients like veggies, proteins, and herbs to create a tasty meal in minutes.

Also, my slow cooker is a blessing on busy days. It's such a hassle-free way to prepare stews, braised meats, or soups with minimal effort. You just need to pop the ingredients in, set it up, and forget about it till you're welcomed home by a heavenly aroma! Then, a quick side dish like a simple salad or some vegetables can be whipped up while the main dish is being prepared.
These are just a few of my favorites to keep meals stress-free and tasty!

You've got some great hacks there, especially with the ready-made sauce bases. They're a real time saver and add so much flavour!

I'm also a big fan of one-pot meals - stir fries, stews, curries, etc. They're easy to throw together, usually pretty healthy, and often taste better the longer they simmer. Plus less washing up is always a win!

I might have to give the slow cooker a go too; it sounds like a good investment for those really busy days when you want something tasty and hearty without the effort.

Those one-pot meals are a godsend - quick, tasty, and often budget-friendly too. I find adding loads of veggies bulk up the meal without much effort or cost, filling you up without making a dent in your wallet!

The slow cooker is definitely worth it for busy days; it's satisfying coming home to a delicious, ready meal after a long day! There are some great budget-friendly cuts of meat that benefit from being slowly cooked too - like shoulder of lamb or pork belly - so it can keep the costs down, especially good for when you're feeding a few mouths.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu