• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enjoyable Meals

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What makes a meal enjoyable will vary from person to person, but for me it's all about creating something delicious, beautiful, and comforting.

One of my favourite go-to meals that fits this description is chicken piccata. It's easy to prepare, looks elegant, and tastes amazing - the bright, tangy lemon and capers add so much flavour! I also love how quickly it comes together, which makes it perfect for busy weeknights.

What are some of your enjoyable meals, and what makes them so special?

What makes a meal enjoyable will vary from person to person, but for me it's all about creating something delicious, beautiful, and comforting.

One of my favourite go-to meals that fits this description is chicken piccata. It's easy to prepare, looks elegant, and tastes amazing - the bright, tangy lemon and capers add so much flavour! I also love how quickly it comes together, which makes it perfect for busy weeknights.

Some of my all-time favorite dinner meals are simple home-cooked dishes that bring back childhood memories and warm my soul. One such example is a delicious and fragrant fish curry my mum used to make. The key spices - cinnamon, fennel seeds and paprika - give it an unforgettable aroma and depth of flavour. It's one of those dishes that always brings a smile to my face and comforts me at the end of a long day. It's like comfort in a bowl.

My idea of an enjoyable meal aligns closely with what you've described; something tasty, visually appealing, and cozy hits the spot for me too!

I'd have to say one of my favorites is a good ol' beef stew. It's like a warm, flavorful hug in a bowl: rich, hearty, and soul-comforting. The kind of meal that sticks to your ribs and makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

When done right, the slow-cooked beef just falls apart, melting in your mouth with its tender goodness. It's also a versatile dish. You can experiment with different herbs and vegetables, giving it a unique twist every time. Yums!

What else? Well, the prep itself is a leisurely activity - a relaxing Sunday afternoon sort of chore. It's also a one-pot meal, which means easy cleanup. Bonus!

So yeah, for me, that's a win-win situation and makes for an enjoyable dining experience all around.

That sounds delicious! I love how you describe it as a "warm, flavorful hug" - so comforting and cozy!

The versatility of beef stew is a bonus, and the slow-cooking process definitely pays off in the end with fall-apart meat that's just melt-in-your-mouth good. It's also a great make-ahead meal, convenient for busy days.

I agree that the prep can be relaxing, almost therapeutic when you have the time to let it simmer away on a lazy afternoon. And definitely a plus for easy cleanup too - always a win!

What other hearty meals would you say hit the spot for that ultimate cozy, tasty experience?

For me, nothing hits the spot like a delicious, hearty curry on a chilly day. There's something about the rich spices and fragrant aromas that create such a comforting ambiance, and the slow-cooked tenderness of beef or lamb curries is incredibly satisfying.

I also find stews and chilis to be cozy comfort foods, especially when served with cornbread or crusty sourdough rolls straight from the oven. The process of making these dishes is therapeutic, and the best part is how their flavours often improve over time, making them excellent candidates for meal prep sessions.

On colder days, I crave hearty meals that warm me from the inside out and bring that feeling of a hug in food form.

For me, nothing hits the spot like a delicious, hearty curry on a chilly day. There's something about the rich spices and fragrant aromas that create such a comforting ambiance, and the slow-cooked tenderness of beef or lamb curries is incredibly satisfying.

I also find stews and chilis to be cozy comfort foods, especially when served with cornbread or crusty sourdough rolls straight from the oven. The process of making these dishes is therapeutic, and the best part is how their flavours often improve over time, making them excellent candidates for meal prep sessions.

On colder days, I crave hearty meals that warm me from the inside out and bring that feeling of a hug in food form.
Spicy lamb curry, yums! Can't agree more, the best comfort food on a cold day. The cold doesn't stand a chance against a spicy, peppery stew. Mmm, now I'm hungry!

Reactions: joyful
Spicy lamb curry, yums! Can't agree more, the best comfort food on a cold day. The cold doesn't stand a chance against a spicy, peppery stew. Mmm, now I'm hungry!
Oh, yeah! Nothing like some good ol' lamb curry to warm the cockles of your heart (and stomach)! It's like a hug in a bowl, especially with some crispy naan to soak up that delicious sauce.

Oh, yeah! Nothing like some good ol' lamb curry to warm the cockles of your heart (and stomach)! It's like a hug in a bowl, especially with some crispy naan to soak up that delicious sauce.
Yums. I'd add some mint sauce and have this with some hot and fluffy garnao rice.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Yums. I'd add some mint sauce and have this with some hot and fluffy garnao rice.
Mints saucy! That's an interesting twist to the usual dishes we've been talking about. I haven't had that sauce before, is it like a pasty dip or more of a liquid? either way, sounds good with the crispy chicken!

The sauce is on the thicker side, more pasty than liquid - think of it as a cross between pesto and hummus in terms of texture; It's really yummy and pairs well with fried foods like chicken! Give it a shot and you'll be pleasantly surprised!

The sauce is on the thicker side, more pasty than liquid - think of it as a cross between pesto and hummus in terms of texture; It's really yummy and pairs well with fried foods like chicken! Give it a shot and you'll be pleasantly surprised!
That sauce sounds intriguing, a creamy dream that's not too heavy and goes well with the crispy textures of fried food - a delicious contrast! I've never had anything quite like that, I might have to give it a go. It'd be nice to try something new and this mysterious sauce has definitely peaked my interest!

That sauce sounds intriguing, a creamy dream that's not too heavy and goes well with the crispy textures of fried food - a delicious contrast! I've never had anything quite like that, I might have to give it a go. It'd be nice to try something new and this mysterious sauce has definitely peaked my interest!
The sauce does sound like an interesting contrast to the usual condiments we see around. It'd be a nice twist to the normal deep-fried fare we're used to. Might make a trip down there just to try it out!

Do let me know what you think of it after you've given it a shot! It's always nice to discover new flavors and twists on classic dishes, especially when they work out well. I'm glad you share my excitement for this find - hope you enjoy the meal as much as I did!

Do let me know what you think of it after you've given it a shot! It's always nice to discover new flavors and twists on classic dishes, especially when they work out well. I'm glad you share my excitement for this find - hope you enjoy the meal as much as I did!
Will do! Always up for trying new twists on classics, especially if they're tasty and sustainable, which is a huge plus!

Happy to provide some fun, sustainable twists then! How about a tasty, plant-based twist on a comfort food classic - a vegan 'mac and cheese'? This creamy dish is sure to impress and only uses one pot for easy cleanup! Or, if you're short on time, how about a 15 minute stir fry using seasonal veggies and your favorite protein that's packed with flavor thanks to some fragrant ginger and garlic? Sustainable eating doesn't have to be boring, definitely looking forward to hearing your meal highlights!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
Happy to provide some fun, sustainable twists then! How about a tasty, plant-based twist on a comfort food classic - a vegan 'mac and cheese'? This creamy dish is sure to impress and only uses one pot for easy cleanup! Or, if you're short on time, how about a 15 minute stir fry using seasonal veggies and your favorite protein that's packed with flavor thanks to some fragrant ginger and garlic? Sustainable eating doesn't have to be boring, definitely looking forward to hearing your meal highlights!
Hmm, those mac and cheese sound delicious, especially with the cheesy sauce and added veggies. It's an easy, satisfying dish perfect for any day of the week.

A one-pot meal is a great way to cut down cooking time and wash up afterward - less work for sure! I'd go for some stir-fry too; it's hard to beat a 15-minute cooking time. The aroma of ginger and garlic in a dish is such a lovely, comforting fragrance. It's a simple way to elevate a meal and very versatile, as we can use various proteins and veggies according to preference and availability.

What ingredients do you usually throw into your mac and cheese or quick stir-fry? I'll give them a go!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: luciana and nature
Hmm, those mac and cheese sound delicious, especially with the cheesy sauce and added veggies. It's an easy, satisfying dish perfect for any day of the week.

A one-pot meal is a great way to cut down cooking time and wash up afterward - less work for sure! I'd go for some stir-fry too; it's hard to beat a 15-minute cooking time. The aroma of ginger and garlic in a dish is such a lovely, comforting fragrance. It's a simple way to elevate a meal and very versatile, as we can use various proteins and veggies according to preference and availability.

What ingredients do you usually throw into your mac and cheese or quick stir-fry? I'll give them a go!
I often make mac and cheese with some bite-sized smoked chicken sausages for added protein and flavor. For a quick and delicious stir fry, my go-to combinations are either shrimp with broccoli or beef and bell peppers.

I often make mac and cheese with some bite-sized smoked chicken sausages for added protein and flavor. For a quick and delicious stir fry, my go-to combinations are either shrimp with broccoli or beef and bell peppers.
Yummy! I've never thought of adding sausages to my mac and cheese, but it sounds like a hearty and scrumptious addition!

Reactions: nature
Yummy! I've never thought of adding sausages to my mac and cheese, but it sounds like a hearty and scrumptious addition!
The sweetness of the sausage flesh out the creamy yet robust cheddar flavor in this classic comfort dish. It's a quick and yummy tummy filler for sure!

The sweetness of the sausage flesh out the creamy yet robust cheddar flavor in this classic comfort dish. It's a quick and yummy tummy filler for sure!
Yep, mac and cheese with sausage sounds like a delicious, hearty meal, a definite crowdpleaser. The key to elevating this dish is definitely the type of cheddar used; a robust, sharp cheddar works best for me!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu