• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enjoyable Family Meals

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Meals are often more enjoyable when they're shared, and few groups of people share quite as well as families do!

What are some of your go-to recipes for fun, tasty, and enjoyable family meals? Do you have any special ways to make dinnertime a bit more exciting for the whole crew?

Share your ideas for easy, delicious, and kid-friendly meals that everyone will love. Bonus points if they're also quick and budget-friendly!

Reactions: stargazer
Meals are often more enjoyable when they're shared, and few groups of people share quite as well as families do!

What are some of your go-to recipes for fun, tasty, and enjoyable family meals? Do you have any special ways to make dinnertime a bit more exciting for the whole crew?

Share your ideas for easy, delicious, and kid-friendly meals that everyone will love. Bonus points if they're also quick and budget-friendly!
My girl loves it when we have "Pizza Fridays"!

It's a simple idea but a lot of fun, and very customizable to each individual's preferences. I prepare the dough ahead of time - this is my secret weapon for a fast and easy dinner - store-bought frozen pizza dough! It's a cheat code, yes, but it saves so much time and actually bakes up really well.

Then, I let everyone choose their own toppings. From there, it's a creative frenzy! Each person gets to assemble their pizza however they like. We lay out all the ingredients on the table and get our aprons on - or in my girl's case, her little painting smock - and get to work. It becomes a fun art session for kids, and a relaxed cooking session for the adults because the prep work is so minimal.

While the pizzas are baking, we set up a little assembly line for everyone to add their own final touches or garnishes. And of course, the best part is digging into our personalized pizzas! It's a meal tailored to each person's taste buds and it encourages everyone to try new ingredients too.

This is also a great way to sneak in some healthy veggies - some mushrooms, olives, peppers, even spinach puréed into the sauce! - without the little ones knowing.

It's a win in our books for a fun, tasty, and easy family dinner, and the best part is cleaning up while everyone is still entertained by their own culinary masterpiece! Bonus: Leftover pizzas make a great lunch for the whole week ahead.

What about you? Any go-to family meal ideas that are tried and tested and exciting all at once?

Reactions: nature
My girl loves it when we have "Pizza Fridays"!

It's a simple idea but a lot of fun, and very customizable to each individual's preferences. I prepare the dough ahead of time - this is my secret weapon for a fast and easy dinner - store-bought frozen pizza dough! It's a cheat code, yes, but it saves so much time and actually bakes up really well.

Then, I let everyone choose their own toppings. From there, it's a creative frenzy! Each person gets to assemble their pizza however they like. We lay out all the ingredients on the table and get our aprons on - or in my girl's case, her little painting smock - and get to work. It becomes a fun art session for kids, and a relaxed cooking session for the adults because the prep work is so minimal.

While the pizzas are baking, we set up a little assembly line for everyone to add their own final touches or garnishes. And of course, the best part is digging into our personalized pizzas! It's a meal tailored to each person's taste buds and it encourages everyone to try new ingredients too.

This is also a great way to sneak in some healthy veggies - some mushrooms, olives, peppers, even spinach puréed into the sauce! - without the little ones knowing.

It's a win in our books for a fun, tasty, and easy family dinner, and the best part is cleaning up while everyone is still entertained by their own culinary masterpiece! Bonus: Leftover pizzas make a great lunch for the whole week ahead.

What about you? Any go-to family meal ideas that are tried and tested and exciting all at once?

Pizza dough from scratch used to be daunting, I must admit! Using ready-made dough is a brilliant timesaver and doesn't compromise on taste - win-win situation right there.

One of my daughter's favorites is what we call "build-your-own" tacos or burrito bowls. Like your Pizza Friday, it's a fun and messily delicious affair. Everyone gets their own tortillas or taco shells, and the works: seasoned ground meat (we use chicken or beef), chopped tomatoes, avocado slices, shredded cheese, sour cream, and lettuce. We also have a variety of spices and sauces like chili powder, paprika, or even curry powder for an added kick.

It's an exciting eat-with-your-hands kind of meal, which kids (and some adults!) love. And just like your pizza night, it's a great way to include healthy veggies discretely - add some grated carrots or even cauliflower into the meat mixture, or sneak in some spinach leaves into the wraps.

For a little extra fun, we sometimes have a theme night and call it "Taco Tuesday." No one complains about repetitive meals when it's presented as a fun theme night. And who doesn't love a good Mexican feast?!

It's also an easy meal to prep ahead and just assemble later, or even a quick meal if you're short on time as the ingredients can be prepared in advance. Just warm the tortillas, assemble, and done!

Pizza dough from scratch used to be daunting, I must admit! Using ready-made dough is a brilliant timesaver and doesn't compromise on taste - win-win situation right there.

One of my daughter's favorites is what we call "build-your-own" tacos or burrito bowls. Like your Pizza Friday, it's a fun and messily delicious affair. Everyone gets their own tortillas or taco shells, and the works: seasoned ground meat (we use chicken or beef), chopped tomatoes, avocado slices, shredded cheese, sour cream, and lettuce. We also have a variety of spices and sauces like chili powder, paprika, or even curry powder for an added kick.

It's an exciting eat-with-your-hands kind of meal, which kids (and some adults!) love. And just like your pizza night, it's a great way to include healthy veggies discretely - add some grated carrots or even cauliflower into the meat mixture, or sneak in some spinach leaves into the wraps.

For a little extra fun, we sometimes have a theme night and call it "Taco Tuesday." No one complains about repetitive meals when it's presented as a fun theme night. And who doesn't love a good Mexican feast?!

It's also an easy meal to prep ahead and just assemble later, or even a quick meal if you're short on time as the ingredients can be prepared in advance. Just warm the tortillas, assemble, and done!
Wow, that Taco Tuesday sounds like such a fun idea and a great way to switch things up! Mexican feast nights could become a fun weekly tradition. I'm sure my kids would love holding their very own mini burrito parties.

Themed nights are always a blast, aren't they? I might have to steal your idea and try it out soon!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: joyful and mamamia
Wow, that Taco Tuesday sounds like such a fun idea and a great way to switch things up! Mexican feast nights could become a fun weekly tradition. I'm sure my kids would love holding their very own mini burrito parties.

Themed nights are always a blast, aren't they? I might have to steal your idea and try it out soon!
Yes theme nights are a fantastic way to add a bit of spice and excitement to family meal times, hope your kids enjoy the Mexican feast!

Having themed nights is a fun way to switch up the dining table atmosphere, especially for fussy eaters. The excitement of themed nights can encourage kids to look forward to mealtimes!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Yes theme nights are a fantastic way to add a bit of spice and excitement to family meal times, hope your kids enjoy the Mexican feast!
There's also Asian night with an interactive sushi-making session. Everyone gets a kick out of rolling their own sushi and creating crazy combinations.

My personal favorite for a fun and enjoyable family meal is what we call the "International Night." We pick a country and cook a traditional meal from that nation. It usually doubles up as a little lesson in geography and culture for my young one, which makes it extra exciting.

We start with a simple map hunt to find our chosen country, followed by some fun facts about the place. Then, we delve into the cooking part - often experimenting with unfamiliar ingredients and flavors. The process is an educational guess-and-check adventure, as we try to pronounce difficult foreign names and decipher tricky foreign recipes written in a different language. It's quite funny, really, and makes for great family bonding.

Some favorite international dishes that we've enjoyed so far include Japanese ramen (with lots of vegetables and some fish), Scandinavian smørrebrød open sandwiches (a huge hit because everyone gets to assemble their own), and Italian pasta nights, which are a classic go-to. We also had an Indian feast recently, with creamy curry and fluffy rice, which was a tasty adventure.

It's amazing how much fun and educational an International Night can be, and it's a wonderful way to expose our palates to the delicious variety of foods out there. Plus, it's a great excuse to indulge in some yummy desserts too!

What other creative ideas do you all have for enjoyable family meals? The more creative, the better!

some novelty and anticipation can make meal times exciting! Especially so for young ones who may be particular about their food or eat at a slower pace - the themed nights could just speed things up.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
There's also Asian night with an interactive sushi-making session. Everyone gets a kick out of rolling their own sushi and creating crazy combinations.
Sushi sounds like a fun and tasty idea, and a great way to practice those motor skills too!

Family meal times should never be boring. You could also try different international themes like Italian job with pizza or pasta, Asian night with rice and noodles or even an English pub dinner with fish and chips.

Sometimes we also have "Breakfast for Dinner" nights which is a real novelty for the kids. It's usually pancakes, fried eggs, bacon and fruit, basically a feast of everyone's favorite breakfast foods. It's a fun switch-up from the usual meal routine and quite a quick and easy one too!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
There certainly are lots of fun themes to explore for family mealtimes. I'm glad you're inspired to try Taco Tuesdays; it's a delicious idea, Enjoy creating those fun family memories.

Reactions: sportytina
some novelty and anticipation can make meal times exciting! Especially so for young ones who may be particular about their food or eat at a slower pace - the themed nights could just speed things up.
Themed meals are a wonderful way to bring some adventure and excitement to the dinner table, especially International Night, which teaches cultural awareness too!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
My personal favorite for a fun and enjoyable family meal is what we call the "International Night." We pick a country and cook a traditional meal from that nation. It usually doubles up as a little lesson in geography and culture for my young one, which makes it extra exciting.

We start with a simple map hunt to find our chosen country, followed by some fun facts about the place. Then, we delve into the cooking part - often experimenting with unfamiliar ingredients and flavors. The process is an educational guess-and-check adventure, as we try to pronounce difficult foreign names and decipher tricky foreign recipes written in a different language. It's quite funny, really, and makes for great family bonding.

Some favorite international dishes that we've enjoyed so far include Japanese ramen (with lots of vegetables and some fish), Scandinavian smørrebrød open sandwiches (a huge hit because everyone gets to assemble their own), and Italian pasta nights, which are a classic go-to. We also had an Indian feast recently, with creamy curry and fluffy rice, which was a tasty adventure.

It's amazing how much fun and educational an International Night can be, and it's a wonderful way to expose our palates to the delicious variety of foods out there. Plus, it's a great excuse to indulge in some yummy desserts too!

What other creative ideas do you all have for enjoyable family meals? The more creative, the better!
International Night sounds like an awesome way to explore different cultures with your family and introduce new flavors to your palate! It's amazing how food can be a gateway to so many fun learning opportunities.

Maybe for an added twist, you could incorporate some traditional games or activities from the country of the night alongside the culinary adventures. That would be a fun immersive experience!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Sometimes we also have "Breakfast for Dinner" nights which is a real novelty for the kids. It's usually pancakes, fried eggs, bacon and fruit, basically a feast of everyone's favorite breakfast foods. It's a fun switch-up from the usual meal routine and quite a quick and easy one too!
Themed nights sure do add some excitement and spice up family dinner time!

There certainly are lots of fun themes to explore for family mealtimes. I'm glad you're inspired to try Taco Tuesdays; it's a delicious idea, Enjoy creating those fun family memories.
Mmm, breakfast for dinner sounds like such a cozy and delicious switch-up! And yes, it is incredible how something as simple as a theme can add so much excitement to mealtimes.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu