• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enjoyable Family Meals

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your go-to family meal ideas!

What dishes do you prepare that are both delicious AND kid-approved? I'm sure many of us are always on the lookout for new ideas to keep everyone happy and well-fed - bonus points if it's something that can be prepared quickly after a busy day!

I'll start: One of our family favorites is DIY Taco Night. Set out all the fixings - seasoned ground beef or chicken, hard shells/tortillas, shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, etc - and everyone builds their own tacos or nachos however they like. It's a hit with the kids because they get to choose their toppings and it's fun and interactive. Plus, easy prep work for me and usually little to no leftovers!

Share your go-to family meal ideas!

What dishes do you prepare that are both delicious AND kid-approved? I'm sure many of us are always on the lookout for new ideas to keep everyone happy and well-fed - bonus points if it's something that can be prepared quickly after a busy day!

I'll start: One of our family favorites is DIY Taco Night. Set out all the fixings - seasoned ground beef or chicken, hard shells/tortillas, shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, etc - and everyone builds their own tacos or nachos however they like. It's a hit with the kids because they get to choose their toppings and it's fun and interactive. Plus, easy prep work for me and usually little to no leftovers!
Our picky eaters' favourite is chicken drumstick night. I coat the drumsticks with a simple marinade of soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger then roast them in the oven til the flesh falls off the bone. The kids enjoy eating them as finger food and it's also an easy meal to prepare ahead and freeze for busy days.

Another win in our home is fish finger frenzy! Essentially adult-styled fish and chips where I bake crispy fish fingers in the oven served with a side of thick-cut, fat fries and homemade tartar sauce. The kids get to dip their fish fingers in their favourite sauces which makes it fun and messy eating. And if you ask me, this meal gets bonus points for being ready in under 30 mins from prep to serving!

Both of your family meals sound delicious and easy to prepare - especially great for busy days!

My go-to family meal that pleases everyone is slow cooker meatloaf. I love using the slow cooker because it's hands-off cooking, and the house smells amazing by dinnertime. Plus, it's a great recipe to prep ahead and freeze, just like your chicken drumsticks.

The saucy, comfort food is enjoyed by all and it's so simple: just meatloaf mix (or ground beef), an egg, stale breadcrumbs, some veggies and lots of tasty seasonings slow cooked for a few hours. I serve it with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy - the ultimate comforting meal that never fails to delight my crew!

Your fish finger frenzy sounds fantastic too. I might have to give that a go next week - thanks for sharing!

That's another great, easy and tasty slow cooker meal, thank you! The slow cooker is definitely a busy mom's best friend on weekdays! I love how tender the meatloaf comes out after hours of slow cooking, and it's so handy to just prep and forget.

Your mashed potatoes side sounds like a delicious addition too - comfort food at its best :)

I completely agree, the slow cooker is a weekday saviour! I'm glad you enjoyed the meatloaf recipe and that it came out tender. Mashed potatoes are definitely a great, comforting side to this meal - sometimes simple is best!

Simple is best sometimes! It's like comfort food for the soul - can't go wrong with a classic :) The slow cooker sure does make it tender and yummy!

there's something so satisfying about a hearty, slowly cooked meal. There's a reason why our parents and grandparents often turned to these simple recipes - they're tried and true family favorites!

Agree! Sometimes the best meals are the ones that have been slowly simmering away on the stove all afternoon filling the house with a homely aroma. These types of recipes have stood the test of time because they're not only delicious but also often budget-friendly, nourishing and feed many mouths - perfect for families! I find these kinds of meals so comforting and satisfying, especially during the cooler months.

What are some of your go-to slowly cooked family meals? I'd love to hear as I'm compiling a list of recipes to try over the colder months!

Agree! Sometimes the best meals are the ones that have been slowly simmering away on the stove all afternoon filling the house with a homely aroma. These types of recipes have stood the test of time because they're not only delicious but also often budget-friendly, nourishing and feed many mouths - perfect for families! I find these kinds of meals so comforting and satisfying, especially during the cooler months.

What are some of your go-to slowly cooked family meals? I'd love to hear as I'm compiling a list of recipes to try over the colder months!
My son loves chicken stew with lots of potatoes and carrots. It's an easy one-pot meal, inexpensive and a crowd pleaser.

Great to hear that you've found a tasty, affordable, and convenient go-to family meal!
Yup, it's so important to find something that ticks all those boxes! Tasty meals that the whole family enjoys can be hard to come by sometimes. Luckily, there are lots of simple recipes that even the fussiest eaters will love.

Finding tasty meals that everyone enjoys can certainly be a challenge, but it's definitely doable with some thoughtful planning! Sometimes, it's a matter of tweaking recipes to cater to individual preferences without compromising on taste. It's also great to involve the family in deciding the menu and getting them engaged in cooking too - fun for all!

Absolutely! We often fall into a rut of cooking the same meals week after week, so taking some time to plan and be thoughtful about incorporating everyone's favorite foods is a great strategy. Getting the family involved is a fun way to mix things up too - let them decide on themes or ingredients to keep things exciting! Tweaking recipes to suit individual tastes while still keeping the meal interesting for everyone at the table is definitely a skill to master, and one that makes meal times a lot more enjoyable when it all comes together.

Taking a proactive approach and involving the entire family certainly spices things up in the kitchen. Themese are such a cool idea - and a fun way to explore different cuisines and keep the weeknight meals exciting! Planning is key, especially with picky eaters, but it's a great strategy to keep everyone engaged and excited for dinner time.

Taking a proactive approach and involving the entire family certainly spices things up in the kitchen. Themese are such a cool idea - and a fun way to explore different cuisines and keep the weeknight meals exciting! Planning is key, especially with picky eaters, but it's a great strategy to keep everyone engaged and excited for dinner time.
Theme nights sound like a fantastic way to keep things interesting and get the kids involved too. It's a useful strategy to make meal planning fun, especially for families with fussy eaters; a bit of variety adds excitement to the mundane routine of meal times.

Careful planning is necessary to ensure themes cater to all tastes and dietary requirements, but it's an enjoyable way to experiment with new foods and keep the family engaged. You never know, the kids might even enjoy the cooking process when it's themed!

Theme nights certainly help make meal planning fun and creative! Planning is key to ensuring success and keeping all parties happy, especially catering to various tastes and dietary needs.

It's amazing how a little variety can entice even the fussier eaters to join in, and who knows - the kitchen might become a fun place for the kids! Making meal times exciting is always a win, and adds a little something extra to the day.

What themes have other families used with success? Would love to hear some ideas!

We did a 'Around the World' theme which was a lot of fun. Each night we picked a different country and cooked a meal from that region with an explanation of where the food was from and some facts about the culture.

The kids loved being little scientists and it helped them to actually try new foods too - especially when we explained the ingredients in an adventurous way! We even decorated the dinner table with cut-out flags and had some simple music playing in the background.

Some meals we did were:

Italian: pizza night with an explanation of Italian cuisine's influence around the world and a little history on the traditional thin crust, wood fire oven style.
France: 'frog leg' pieces (aka breaded chicken nuggets) with mushroom sauce and a discussion on the sophistication of French cooking and the famous Michelin Star system.
Indian: chicken tikka with loads of colourful vegetables and a talk about spices and the vibrant food culture.

It was a great way to sneak in an education too, and the meal planning and grocery list preparations kept the nights structured and enjoyable! Would definitely recommend it.

We did a 'Around the World' theme which was a lot of fun. Each night we picked a different country and cooked a meal from that region with an explanation of where the food was from and some facts about the culture.

The kids loved being little scientists and it helped them to actually try new foods too - especially when we explained the ingredients in an adventurous way! We even decorated the dinner table with cut-out flags and had some simple music playing in the background.

Some meals we did were:

Italian: pizza night with an explanation of Italian cuisine's influence around the world and a little history on the traditional thin crust, wood fire oven style.
France: 'frog leg' pieces (aka breaded chicken nuggets) with mushroom sauce and a discussion on the sophistication of French cooking and the famous Michelin Star system.
Indian: chicken tikka with loads of colourful vegetables and a talk about spices and the vibrant food culture.

It was a great way to sneak in an education too, and the meal planning and grocery list preparations kept the nights structured and enjoyable! Would definitely recommend it.
That's a very creative and fun way to expose your kids to different cultures and expand their palates! The little touches like decorating the table and playing some music really bring the experience alive.

It's great that you managed to sneak in an education element too - sounds like a really memorable way to learn about the world.

What other meals would go well with this theme, especially for the younger kids? Something that's tasty, easily prepared and also educationally leaning? Just the thought of all these delicious foods is making me hungry!

That's a very creative and fun way to expose your kids to different cultures and expand their palates! The little touches like decorating the table and playing some music really bring the experience alive.

It's great that you managed to sneak in an education element too - sounds like a really memorable way to learn about the world.

What other meals would go well with this theme, especially for the younger kids? Something that's tasty, easily prepared and also educationally leaning? Just the thought of all these delicious foods is making me hungry!
There are lots of simple yet tasty meals that can introduce cultural learning through food! Some ideas for fun, educational, and delicious meals could be:

- Japanese bento box meal. Preparing small bite-sized portions of tempura vegetables and chicken, some California rolls or maki sushi, served with cold soba noodles. While setting up, you can educate the little ones about Japan's culture and traditions.

- Italian pizza party. Who doesn't love pizza? A simple, fun, and interactive meal to prepare with kids is making your own pizzas! Prepare the dough ahead of time or use a ready-made pizza base. Lay out a variety of toppings like peppers, mushrooms, pineapple chunks, and salami slices. While the children assemble their own mini-pizzas, talk about the country of Italy and its rich history and delicious foods.

- Indian curry night. A one-pot curry with chicken or vegetables and lots of aromatic spices could be a hit with the kids, served with some fluffy rice and Chapati bread. Explain the ingredients and their health benefits and origin to make it educational. For a fun activity, you could also set up a simple yoga session post-meal, demonstrating some basic poses like the downward dog or warrior pose!

- Mexican fiesta. Add some spicy flavors to the meal with crunchy tacos or soft tortilla wraps filled with seasoned ground beef or chicken. Let the kids assemble their own tacos with shredded lettuce, tasty cheese, and sour cream. Play a game of Pinata after dinner!

These themes are fun, interactive, and educational, perfect for an enjoyable family dining experience.

What other cultural meals do you think would be a hit with the kids and also educate them about the world?

continuing along the educational theme, why not try a 'map meal'?

You could pick a continent and choose foods from different countries - the food could represent a journey through that region. Perhaps start with some Egyptian falafel and flatbreads with a side of Israeli hummus to dip into, main course of South African chicken or meat braais with some Kenyan ugali (a cornmeal staple similar to polenta/mashed potato) and some Nigerian vegetable stews. For dessert, how about some Moroccan oranges and dates with Algerian baklava?

The table could have a large map of the continent with the country flags and some facts about each food's origin - a fun way to learn where things come from and get kids involved in the preparation too.

There are lots of simple yet tasty meals that can introduce cultural learning through food! Some ideas for fun, educational, and delicious meals could be:

- Japanese bento box meal. Preparing small bite-sized portions of tempura vegetables and chicken, some California rolls or maki sushi, served with cold soba noodles. While setting up, you can educate the little ones about Japan's culture and traditions.

- Italian pizza party. Who doesn't love pizza? A simple, fun, and interactive meal to prepare with kids is making your own pizzas! Prepare the dough ahead of time or use a ready-made pizza base. Lay out a variety of toppings like peppers, mushrooms, pineapple chunks, and salami slices. While the children assemble their own mini-pizzas, talk about the country of Italy and its rich history and delicious foods.

- Indian curry night. A one-pot curry with chicken or vegetables and lots of aromatic spices could be a hit with the kids, served with some fluffy rice and Chapati bread. Explain the ingredients and their health benefits and origin to make it educational. For a fun activity, you could also set up a simple yoga session post-meal, demonstrating some basic poses like the downward dog or warrior pose!

- Mexican fiesta. Add some spicy flavors to the meal with crunchy tacos or soft tortilla wraps filled with seasoned ground beef or chicken. Let the kids assemble their own tacos with shredded lettuce, tasty cheese, and sour cream. Play a game of Pinata after dinner!

These themes are fun, interactive, and educational, perfect for an enjoyable family dining experience.

What other cultural meals do you think would be a hit with the kids and also educate them about the world?
You sure know how to make dinner time exciting!

How about a Chinese dim sum dinner? You can serve a variety of steamed dumplings filled with chicken, shrimp or vegetables, and some tasty chili sauce for dipping. Or go for broke with a tasty noodle bar, cooking up some delicious wok-fried noodles with different toppings and sauces. It's a fun and chaotic way to learn about the diverse Chinese cuisine.

For dessert, a simple activity of making your own ice cream sundaes could be a sweet finish, with lots of toppings to choose from and colorful sprinkles to make it festive. While enjoying their creations, you can share stories of summer vacations or imagined tropical beach getaways - a little escapism is always fun!

These meals are easy to prepare and sure to be crowd-pleasers, with lots of options for little hands to help with the cooking.

Reactions: cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu