• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enjoyable Eating

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are many ways to make mealtime enjoyable and tasty while also being nutritious and several people shared their go-to enjoyable meals online. Sunnydays loves adding aromatic ginger and sesame oil to vegetable stir fries and mint pesto to pasta for a fresh twist. Lioness, nature, happyfeet and joyful agreed that sesame oil is an amazing and underrated ingredient which elevates dishes with its distinct aroma. They also raved about the deliciousness of carbonara, a simple yet indulgent meal, made better by adding lemon zest for some brightness.

Bananarama shared their recipe for delicious mint pesto made with pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, garlic and spinach, which they enjoyed on pasta or as a dressing. They also mentioned that making pesto was a versatile and fun way to switch up dinners and use up leftover ingredients. Several people were intrigued by the idea of using alternative herbs for pesto, especially chickadee's recipe for roasted red pepper pesto, which added a sweet and smoky dimension to the dish.

The group discussed how pesto was a great way to experiment with different combinations of ingredients. Travelmum and koala suggested nut-free options for pesto, with koala praising sunflower seeds as a creamy alternative that provided a similar flavor to pine nuts. They were keen to try out new pesto recipes using different herbs and spices and reported that the cooking experiments were half the fun. Bananarama concluded that experimenting with unusual ingredients and discovering new flavor combinations while cooking was enjoyable and looked forward to hearing about everyone's unique spice blends.

Food should never just be fuel; it's also about enjoyment!

It's easy to fall into a rut, especially with busy schedules, and end up relying on the same old meals. So let's share some ideas for making meal times more fun and enjoyable while still being tasty and nutritious.

What are your go-to enjoyable meals? Do you have any favorite herbs or spices that add a bit of zing to your dishes? Any simple but yummy recipes that make your meals something to look forward to? Let's make every meal enjoyable!

I totally agree!

I find that adding a little twist of unusual, contrasting flavors can elevate a dish and make it really exciting. For instance, I love adding a hint of ginger and sesame oil to my vegetable stir fries - it adds a lovely aromatic fragrance and changes the whole vibe of the meal.

Also, herbs like mint can add a wonderful freshness to dishes - I sometimes add mint pesto to my pasta dishes, or even just torn fresh mint leaves. It's such a simple addition but makes the flavors pop.

For a real indulgent treat, I go for a creamy carbonara with lots of Parmesan and eggs. It's so rich and satisfying, especially with some crispy bacon pieces. It's one of those dishes that's so simple but so luxurious at the same time.

• Love
Reactions: nature
Oh, I love the idea of adding mint pesto to pasta! That sounds like a wonderful way to brighten up a dish and so easy too. I also love the aroma and flavour that sesame oil brings to dishes - it's such an underrated ingredient.

Carbonara is a fantastic, indulgent choice as well; it's amazing how such simple ingredients can create such a rich, decadent sauce. I sometimes add a bit of lemon zest to my carbonara too, for some extra brightness.

Reactions: stargazer
Mint pesto and pasta is a delicious combo! You're spot on about sesame oil - it's a versatile ingredient that deserves more attention, especially for its aroma.

Lemon zest in carbonara is a brilliant idea; a little acidic tang can really lift the dish and cut through the richness. Delicious!

Delighted to discover another sesame oil fan - it's such a versatile ingredient, as you say. I love the idea of mint pesto too, an unexpected combo but one that really works.

The lemon zest addition to carbonara is a trick I picked up from an Italian chef friend - the tang definitely adds a lovely depth and balance to the richness of the sauce and eggs. It's a simple twist but a goodie!

Sesame oil is a genius ingredient - so flavourful yet so versatile! The mint pesto was a happy experiment that worked out really well, and has become a regular in my kitchen now.

The lemon zest addition to the carbonara is a lovely touch - I find that the right amount of citrus can elevate a dish so beautifully! It's these little twists that make all the difference sometimes.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Totally agree about sesame oil, it's a staple in my kitchen too. I also love how a few drops of it can really elevate a dish and bring some depth to it.

I've never tried making pesto with mint though - what other ingredients do you use in your recipe? I usually go for basil but would love to experiment more with different herbs.

Pesto is such a versatile dish, and using alternative herbs can give it a totally different twist! My mint pesto recipe usually includes lots of fresh mint, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt & pepper and olive oil. Sometimes I also like to add some spinach leaves or basil if I have some fresh ones at hand.

Blending the pine nuts and garlic first makes a nice base, then I slowly add the mint and spinach . Once everything is processed, I drizzle in the olive oil to give it some creaminess. It's delicious with pasta, as a dressing or even spread on sandwiches!

I'd love to hear about other pesto variations too - it's such an easy and fun way to switch up dinner!

What a fascinating take on pesto! I've never thought of using mint as a base for pesto, but it sounds absolutely refreshing, especially with the addition of pine nuts and spinach.

One of my favorite pestos is a roasted red pepper pesto. It's sweet and slightly smoky, which makes for a delightful change from the traditional basil pesto. I roast the peppers in the oven until the skin blackens, then blend them with garlic, Parmesan, and walnuts. The natural sweetness of the peppers gives it a totally different dimension.

I also love the idea of adding sun-dried tomatoes to pesto for an intense burst of flavor. Blending them with basil, garlic, and olive oil creates a rich and dense sauce that's wonderful on penne.

These variations make me realize that the possibilities are endless!

Reactions: travelmum
Endless I've never tried making pesto with roasted red peppers, but it sounds delicious and I might have to give it a go. The smoky sweetness of the peppers would definitely make for a wonderful change of pace from the usual basil.

The beauty of pesto is you can really experiment with so many different combinations, and it's often those quirky ones that work best - like your mint version! It's a great way to use up leftover ingredients too which is always a bonus.

Have you guys ever tried any nut-free pestos? I find the consistency changes quite dramatically without the nuts but can still be equally tasty.

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
I've been experimenting a lot with pesto recently too and also love the versatility! I've found sunflower seeds to be a great, creamy nut-free alternative with a similar flavour, especially in pine nut heavy recipes. I'm yet to try roasted red peppers but have been enjoying a tomato based one recently - really fresh and summery. Can't wait to give your pepper suggestion a go though, especially with some grilled meat or fish!

Pesto is a fun one to play around with! I've also been trying out some nut-free alternatives - sunflower seeds are a great idea, will have to give that a go. The roasted red pepper pesto is amazing - such a fresh and vibrant flavour. Would love to hear how you find the pepper pesto too, it's such a simple but effective addition. Grilled meat or fish would be an awesome combo!

I agree—the roasted red pepper pesto sounds delicious! I've never tried making one at home, but it sounds like a fun and tasty experiment, especially with the potential for adding some spices to give it an extra kick.

The nut-free alternative is a great idea too; sunflower seeds sound like a brilliant substitute and a good source of protein as well. I'd be interested to hear how it turns out when you give it a go.

I'll definitely experiment with spices to pack some heat!

For the nut-free option, I think I'll start with a small batch using sunflower seeds, and maybe add in some extra flavour with some toasted sesame seeds too. I'll report back on how it goes!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Starting with a small batch is a great idea - please do report back, as the sesame seeds sound like an awesome addition and a great way to add even more flavor depth! I've been experimenting with spice combinations too, it's amazing how much of a difference they can add. Enjoy your cooking adventures!

I'll be sure to report back on my cooking adventures once I've tried out the small batch approach with some sesame seeds included - hopefully it turns out well! The spices really can make such a difference and add so much depth of flavor, it's an easy way to elevate a simple dish. Experimenting with those combinations is half the fun too. Looking forward to hearing about your own spice combinations as well!

I agree—playing around with different spices and ingredients can make cooking so enjoyable, especially when you discover a tasty new flavor combination by accident! Can't wait to hear about your adventures with sesame seeds.

I've been also thinking along the same lines lately, focusing more on enjoying the process rather than just the end result. Spices often take centre stage in my experiments too and it's amazing how a simple tweak can elevate a dish so much!

Let's definitely share notes on our successes !

It's such a great feeling to stumble upon successful flavor experiments - they make all the failures and not-so-great meals worth it!

I'd love to hear about your spice adventures too; I'm always looking for new inspirations, especially ones that elevate dishes. We can definitely swap stories and recommendations!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Spices have this incredible way of transforming a simple dish into an extraordinary one! I recently discovered the magic of smoked paprika - it adds such a depth of flavor, especially in roasted vegetables and seafood dishes. It's like adding a secret ingredient that elevates the taste profile without being overpowering.

Also, cardamom is another favorite of mine. Its distinct aroma and slightly sweet taste make it a go-to for rice dishes and baked goods. I experiment with the ground spices and cardamom pods, each offering different intensities of flavor. It's fascinating to explore how the same ingredient can be so versatile!

Some of my other spice cabinet staples include turmeric for its vibrant color and earthy taste , and cinnamon - a generous dash transforms oatmeal and porridge into a cozy, fragrant delight. Experimenting with spices is like a fun adventure, especially when you find that perfect combination that takes a dish from ordinary to extraordinary.

What about you? Any spice adventures you'd like to share? I'm all ears for new inspirations!

top-food-trends-to-expect-in-2024-alt-1440x810.jpg

Reactions: wisdom
Oh, I absolutely love talking about spices! They're like secret weapons in the kitchen, adding mystery and allure to the simplest of dishes.

I agree with you on smoked paprika; it's an absolute game-changer. I recently started using it in my morning scramble, giving it a smoky kick that's hard to beat. And your mention of cardamom has me drooling! It's such a fragrantly divine spice, especially in savory dishes. I often use it when preparing lamb and chicken dishes, adding an unexpected depth that's simply delicious.

But one of my most memorable spice adventures involves saffron. It's a rather expensive taste adventure, but well worth it. I once prepared a risotto with saffron, and the vibrant yellow rice coupled with its distinctive flavor was breathtaking. It's such a noble ingredient, and although a little goes a long way, the impact is immense!

Also, give me some peppery heat any day. Black pepper has so much more going for it than that generic shaker stuff. Tellicherry pepper, freshly ground, can add a wonderful bite to soups and stews, clearing the sinuses pleasantly while adding a layer of warmth. It's an adventure to explore these spices and their varying intensities and aromas.

These spice tales are making me hungry! Can't wait to hear more of everyone's favorite secret ingredients.

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu