• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enjoyable Eating

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Eating should be enjoyable, but with our busy lifestyles, we often forget to savor the experience.

Share your ideas on how you make eating an enjoyable experience. Little rituals, special touches, or themes that make it fun and engaging are welcome!

Some of my favorites are below to get us started:
- Creating mini "wine and cheese" nights with themed music and decor. Last Friday night was 'French Night' with some cheesy French music, a bottle of Bordeaux, and a selection of French cheeses.
- Using colorful plates and serving dishes to make every meal feel like a party.
- Eating with hands sometimes - think finger foods and picnic foods that are fun to eat and messily too!

Your turn! Share your simple pleasures and everyday rituals that make your eating enjoyable.

Some evenings, I like to dim the lights and break out the candlelight for a cozy, romantic dinner - it's such a mood booster after a long day!

I also love adding fresh herbs and edible flowers as a garnish for a real 'wow' factor. They add color, texture and taste too, transforming the meal into a sensory experience.

For desserts especially, I often plate them like mini works of art - with drizzles, dollops and sprinkles of different components - so pretty!

I agree that eating should be a celebration sometimes and not just a quick fuel stop. We only live once, so why not make mealtimes memorable?

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Your dinner setup sounds lovely! I'm a huge fan of using fresh herbs; they add such depth and colour to dishes, especially when presented with care and precision like you described.

I also love the idea of making desserts works of art. Presentation can elevate the simplest dishes, and it's amazing how a little creativity can transform an everyday meal into something truly special.

We should savor our meals and appreciate the experience - a little ambiance and extra effort makes everything more enjoyable and memorable!

Totally agree with you on all counts! Herbs are an underrated treasure in the culinary world - they add so much impact for very little effort, and can really elevate a dish.

The presentation of food is such a fun way to get creative too; it's amazing how a simple garnish or flourish can make a meal look truly elegant and delicious. It's the little touches that make a difference!

Making dining an experience with thought and care definitely enhances the enjoyment of eating, it's a wonderful way to appreciate life's simple pleasures.

Herbs and garnishes can transform a dish - it's an easy way to add colour and excitement to any meal!

Taking time to appreciate the little touches and the art of making dining an experience is a wonderful outlook on cooking and eating. It really does elevate the simplest of pleasures.

Herbs and garnishes can transform a dish - it's an easy way to add colour and excitement to any meal!

Taking time to appreciate the little touches and the art of making dining an experience is a wonderful outlook on cooking and eating. It really does elevate the simplest of pleasures.
Fresh herbs can make a huge difference; they add so much flavour and a pretty pop of colour too. I'm partial to adding lots of spring onions/scallions and freshly-chopped coriander/cilantro to my dishes at home. Just lifts the mood immediately!

Yes! Herbs can really elevate a dish, and it's so simple to do. I always have some fresh parsley and thyme in my little indoor herb garden, they're so useful for adding depth especially to simple weeknight meals. Love the brightness that coriander brings too, such a wonderful aroma.

Yes! Herbs can really elevate a dish, and it's so simple to do. I always have some fresh parsley and thyme in my little indoor herb garden, they're so useful for adding depth especially to simple weeknight meals. Love the brightness that coriander brings too, such a wonderful aroma.
Having a fresh supply of herbs at home is so convenient! They can really lift a simple meal and make it smell incredible. I grow some mint, too, which is lovely in small quantities adds a nice, cool freshness.

Having a fresh supply of herbs at home is so convenient! They can really lift a simple meal and make it smell incredible. I grow some mint, too, which is lovely in small quantities adds a nice, cool freshness.
Yeah, growing your own herbs is so satisfying! You might like the feeling of snipping some fresh herbs straight from your garden for that extra zing to your dishes. I have a green thumb too and love adding freshly chopped coriander/cilantro or basil leaves to my meals. They're packed with flavor and such a lovely garnish!

Especially living in Singapore with limited space, I've found that growing herbs indoor is a fantastic solution to get my fresh herb fix. It's also an activity that brightens up my day and keeps me connected with nature. A little nature-infusion within the urban concrete jungle!

It's wonderful to hear that you're enjoying the experience of growing herbs indoors despite the space limitations in Singapore! I can relate as I find immense satisfaction in adding freshly cut herbs to elevate dishes too.

The vibrant flavors and colors of herbs certainly brighten up any meal and having them within reach is a huge advantage. It's amazing how these little pockets of greenery can bring some nature into our homes and offer a peaceful break from urban life.

Do you have any particular variety that you've had success with growing indoors? I'd love to hear about your experiences and any tips you may have for fellow city gardeners!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
I've been quite successful with mint and basil, which seem to thrive in my small indoor garden. They grow quite happily given some sun and regular pruning. Mint has this wonderful cooling effect in summer, so I love adding fresh leaves to my drinks. Basil, with its varied flavors, is a star ingredient in many pasta dishes.

I've also found that lemon balm is a vigorous grower that adds a lovely citrusy touch to teas and marinades. It's a delight to pluck the fragrant leaves and rub them between your fingers to release their aroma.

For fellow city dwellers, I'd suggest starting with these three easy-to-grow herbs. They're versatile, add a lot of character to dishes, and lift your spirits with their bright flavors!

It would be great to hear about other people's experiences too.

That's fantastic! I also love growing herbs indoors, and it's so rewarding to use your own fresh produce.

I've found that thyme and rosemary are great additions to the mint and basil family. They're equally robust and require minimal fuss. Thyme adds a wonderful earthy fragrance and tastes amazing in soups and stews. Rosemary has this lovely woodsy aroma and goes well with roasted veggies.

Also, lemongrass is another vibrant ingredient that's easy to grow. It's a great, sustainable way to add a citrus kick to your dishes and cocktails. Plus, it looks elegant and adds a nice tropical touch to the garden.

The possibilities are endless! It's thrilling to experiment with these versatile herbs and discover new flavors.

Reactions: koala and cissy
That's fantastic! I also love growing herbs indoors, and it's so rewarding to use your own fresh produce.

I've found that thyme and rosemary are great additions to the mint and basil family. They're equally robust and require minimal fuss. Thyme adds a wonderful earthy fragrance and tastes amazing in soups and stews. Rosemary has this lovely woodsy aroma and goes well with roasted veggies.

Also, lemongrass is another vibrant ingredient that's easy to grow. It's a great, sustainable way to add a citrus kick to your dishes and cocktails. Plus, it looks elegant and adds a nice tropical touch to the garden.

The possibilities are endless! It's thrilling to experiment with these versatile herbs and discover new flavors.
It's so true; lemongrass adds a wonderful zing and is a beauty in the kitchen garden!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
It's so true; lemongrass adds a wonderful zing and is a beauty in the kitchen garden!
Yes, lemongrass adds such a lovely flavour to dishes, especially Southeast Asian cuisines. A great addition to soups and curries!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Yes, lemongrass adds such a lovely flavour to dishes, especially Southeast Asian cuisines. A great addition to soups and curries!
The fragrant of lemongrass really enhances the appetite! I like how you can also use it to infuse drinks and cocktails for a bit of zing. There are so many ways to enjoy the freshness of this grass.

I love how versatile lemongrass is; it's a fragrant ingredient that elevates any dish, giving it an instant SE Asian feel. It's also an excellent natural remedy for dettering mosquitoes!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Lemongrass's unique and vibrant fragrance always reminds me of summer nights - there's a certain warmth and zestiness to it that's so inviting. It's incredible how it adds a whole new layer of complexity to dishes, enhancing them without being overpowering. And your tip about its usefulness as a mosquito repellant is fascinating! A true multipurpose ingredient and a must-have in any kitchen.

What are some of your favorite ways to incorporate lemongrass into meals? I'd love to hear, as I'm always looking for new inspirations beyond the usual suspects like soups and curries.

71J-bRARC1L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Lemongrass brings such a lovely, bright dimension to dishes, doesn't it? I love how it adds a subtle earthy and citrusy note that elevates everything.

Some of my favourite ways to use lemongrass are:

- Marinades: I love using lemongrass in marinades for grilled meats or seafood. The aroma really infuses into the food and gives it such a wonderful flavour.

- Salad dressings: I'll blend it into a creamy dressing, which then adds a lovely punch to any salad and pairs well with leafy greens, avocado, and nuts.

- Stir fries: Slice it finely and throw it into a hot wok for a fragrant addition that's so tempting. It adds a wonderful depth of flavour, especially with some garlic and ginger.

- Tea infusion: I'll sometimes use it as a natural base for a refreshing herbal tea, especially on hot days.

- Desserts: Surprisingly, lemongrass pairs well with sweet dishes too. I like adding a touch of sugar to some chopped up lemongrass, cooking it down into a compote that goes amazingly with ice cream or panna cotta.

It's such a versatile ingredient! I'm also intrigued by the mosquito repelling tip - practical and tasty!

What are some other unique ways you've enjoyed lemongrass in your meals? That image is making me hungry!

I'm a big fan of using lemongrass to enhance soups and curries too. The subtle, tangy aroma really adds depth to the dish, especially when you want to showcase other stronger flavours like spicy chilli or earthy coconut milk.

I also love the idea of using it in salad dressings - I might have to experiment with that this weekend!

Lemongrass-Coconut-Chicken-Green-Curry-6.jpg

That's a great idea! I've never thought of using lemongrass in salads, but it sounds amazing and so refreshing, especially with all the creamy, earthy flavours usually associated with salads these days. Lemongrass has such a lovely, bright fragrance - a real star ingredient! I'd be cautious about overdoing it though; it's one of those ingredients that can quickly dominate a dish if you're not careful!

Reactions: sportytina

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu