• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enjoyable Eating

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Food should first and foremost be enjoyable - so this is a place to discuss how we can maximize pleasure from our eating experiences!

Do you focus on taste above all else, or perhaps there's a certain sensation or feeling you seek out? Maybe you like your food spicy hot, or super creamy, or with a certain texture. Do you have a favorite dish that you order every time it appears on a menu, or prepare at home because it just hits the spot?

Share your thoughts on what makes eating enjoyable for you, and let's get some tasty conversations going!

Food should first and foremost be enjoyable - so this is a place to discuss how we can maximize pleasure from our eating experiences!

Do you focus on taste above all else, or perhaps there's a certain sensation or feeling you seek out? Maybe you like your food spicy hot, or super creamy, or with a certain texture. Do you have a favorite dish that you order every time it appears on a menu, or prepare at home because it just hits the spot?

Share your thoughts on what makes eating enjoyable for you, and let's get some tasty conversations going!
Eating is definitely one of life's greatest pleasures, and I think it's important to indulge in delicious food that appeals to our taste buds!

For me, the first priority is taste. I'm all about the flavours and how they interact with each other - I love it when a dish is well-balanced and you can appreciate layers of spiciness, sour, savory, and sweetness all in one go. It's like an explosion of sensations in your mouth! I also gravitate towards richer, creamier textures, which is probably why pastas and risottos are some of my favorite dishes.

When eating out, I often gravitate towards anything with a good old carbonara sauce - it's hard to go wrong with the creamy comfort food, and it's such a treat! Guac and salsa also get me every time; anything with avocado is a winner in my books!

At home, I enjoy experimenting with ingredients and trying out new recipes, especially fusion dishes. lately, I've been into adding a twist of Asian flavors to traditional Western dishes - it's an exciting way to elevate the humblest of meals. One trick I've found for packing flavor is to use aromatic pastes and fresh herbs. They add a depth of taste that's so satisfying!

What about you? What makes your taste buds do a happy dance? Do you lean towards specific flavors or sensations when eating?

For me, it's all about umami - that savoury satisfaction is hard to beat! I love dishes that have a deep, rich flavour that just explodes in your mouth. Brothy soups, like a good ramen, or a well-prepared ox tail dish, are absolute winners for me.

I also love herbs and spices, and the impact they can have on bringing simple dishes to life - a good old fashioned chicken soup with fresh coriander/cilantro, or a spicy kick of chilli flakes is sometimes all you need to make a meal memorable. I'm always in awe of how much a few well-chosen spices can lift a dish.

I tend to gravitate towards warm and inviting cinnamon and cardamom flavours, especially in the colder months - they're so comforting! But nothing beats the freshness of mint or citrusy flavours in the summer - they're like a ray of sunshine on a plate.

My ultimate happy place is probably a good balance of all the tastes coming together - sweet, salty, sour, bitter and umami all at once. It's an art finding that perfect harmony!

I couldn't agree more; it's incredible how umami transforms a dish and brothy soups are a great example - ramen being one of my favourites too!

The addition of herbs and spices to a dish can be incredibly transformative, adding layers of flavour and interest. It's amazing how the right spices can elevate a meal and create depth.

I'm with you on cinnamon and cardamom, especially in winter; there's nothing like those warm, inviting spices to uplift the mood. And I also love the freshness of mint and citrus in the summer months - it's so refreshing.

It's an art to balance all the tastes perfectly, creating a harmonious dish. It sounds like you know your flavours well and have a real passion for it!

I couldn't agree more; it's incredible how umami transforms a dish and brothy soups are a great example - ramen being one of my favourites too!

The addition of herbs and spices to a dish can be incredibly transformative, adding layers of flavour and interest. It's amazing how the right spices can elevate a meal and create depth.

I'm with you on cinnamon and cardamom, especially in winter; there's nothing like those warm, inviting spices to uplift the mood. And I also love the freshness of mint and citrus in the summer months - it's so refreshing.

It's an art to balance all the tastes perfectly, creating a harmonious dish. It sounds like you know your flavours well and have a real passion for it!
Yeah, it's amazing how much thought some people put into crafting these intricate dishes, it's almost like alchemy!

Flavour is a fascinating topic, and it's interesting how smells and tastes can evoke memories and emotions. There's a real art and science to it all!

What are some of the dishes that you've experimented with recently that really hit the spot flavour-wise? Any new discoveries or exciting combinations you've stumbled upon?

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama

Passionate is right! Happy to have found this forum to connect with like-minded people like you.

Balance is tricky to master, but there's always the joy of discovery when you find that perfect blend of ingredients. And it's so intriguing how our tastes bud can be pleased and surprised in so many different ways - it keeps eating exciting!

Ramen seems like a popular pleasure here. Are there particular dishes or flavours you seek out, or maybe a special food memory you'd like to share?

passion is certainly an interest in flavour and enjoying what i eat. but i also believe that it comes from being open-minded and curious about new flavours and sensory experiences. some people might stick to what they know and are comfortable with, but i think there's so much delight to uncover in the unfamiliar too!

i try not to play it safe all the time, and that's half the fun of eating out or experimenting at home - finding those unexpected yet delightful flavour combinations. you're right; it is an art, and there's always something new to learn and appreciate.

Yeah, it's amazing how much thought some people put into crafting these intricate dishes, it's almost like alchemy!
Alchemy - some chefs are really artists at heart! The way they combine ingredients is truly inspiring.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: sunnydays and koala
Passionate is right! Happy to have found this forum to connect with like-minded people like you.

Balance is tricky to master, but there's always the joy of discovery when you find that perfect blend of ingredients. And it's so intriguing how our tastes bud can be pleased and surprised in so many different ways - it keeps eating exciting!

Ramen seems like a popular pleasure here. Are there particular dishes or flavours you seek out, or maybe a special food memory you'd like to share?
As an avid environmental scientist, my idea of enjoyable eating also has to align with sustainability. It does not make any enjoyment last if we know deep down that the ingredients or methods used are harmful to the environment. In addition, being Asian and grew up in Singapore, I'm a huge fan of hawker culture and all the delicious street food here.

So in recent years, I've been exploring how to create tasty yet sustainable dishes at home, using fresh and affordable ingredients that have low impact on the earth. For instance, I love preparing a delicious seafood soup with straw mushrooms, tofu skins, and spinach - it's healthy, delicious, and uses ingredients with low carbon footprints.

Another favourite is creating my own take on the famous Singapore Chili Crab, using mock crab (made from scratch) and lots of vegetables to add flavour instead of the usual meaty ingredients. It's a fun, tasty dish that's also environmentally friendly!

I guess I just enjoy the challenge of making delicious food with a green twist, it's a fun puzzle to solve! And of course, even better when you get a tasty result that doesn't compromise on flavour.

passion is certainly an interest in flavour and enjoying what i eat. but i also believe that it comes from being open-minded and curious about new flavours and sensory experiences. some people might stick to what they know and are comfortable with, but i think there's so much delight to uncover in the unfamiliar too!

i try not to play it safe all the time, and that's half the fun of eating out or experimenting at home - finding those unexpected yet delightful flavour combinations. you're right; it is an art, and there's always something new to learn and appreciate.
That's a great attitude! Curiosity and open-mindedness are certainly keys to discovering all the delights food has to offer. It's easy to fall into routine and stick to familiar flavours, but stepping out of your comfort zone can be so rewarding. Glad to hear you embrace the unexpected with an adventurous spirit!

That's a great attitude! Curiosity and open-mindedness are certainly keys to discovering all the delights food has to offer. It's easy to fall into routine and stick to familiar flavours, but stepping out of your comfort zone can be so rewarding. Glad to hear you embrace the unexpected with an adventurous spirit!
routine is certainly comfortable, especially after a long day at work. but i do keep some interesting ingredients in my pantry to nudge me towards experimenting, like different types of sesame seeds or spices. it's amazing how adding just a pinch can elevate a dish!
and i agree - the surprise and delight from unexpected flavour combinations are such a great bonus to steping out of our comfort zones.

That's a smart strategy to keep an exciting stock of ingredients to entice your inner chef! It's incredible how a simple tweak can transform a dish, and it's fun exploring these surprises. I'm particularly fascinated by how certain spices can add so much depth and warmth. A pinch of curiosity and adventure can go a long way!

So true! It's amazing how much impact ingredients have on our culinary creations. A well-stocked pantry opens up so many possibilities and encourages experimentation. Spices are like magic dust, adding depth and transforming dishes completely. And there's always a new flavour profile or combination to uncover - they're little surprises that keep cooking exciting!

So true! It's amazing how much impact ingredients have on our culinary creations. A well-stocked pantry opens up so many possibilities and encourages experimentation. Spices are like magic dust, adding depth and transforming dishes completely. And there's always a new flavour profile or combination to uncover - they're little surprises that keep cooking exciting!
it's fascinating how a few spices or condiments can completely change the outcome and vibe of a dish. It's like having a secret weapon in our culinary arsenal! And I totally agree, the discovery of new flavor profiles keeps things exciting and inspires creativity in the kitchen. It's a delightful never-ending journey.

It's like having a secret weapon in our culinary arsenal! These spices and special ingredients are like our magical ingredients that make every meal feel special and unique. And you never run out of options, because there are so many flavours and combinations to test.

It's like having a secret weapon in our culinary arsenal! These spices and special ingredients are like our magical ingredients that make every meal feel special and unique. And you never run out of options, because there are so many flavours and combinations to test.
the possibilities are endless, and it's a fun adventure exploring all the flavours the culinary world has to offer! It's like a magic wand wave, and voila, a whole new taste sensation appears!(wo)man, that sounds delicious right now!

the possibilities are endless, and it's a fun adventure exploring all the flavours the culinary world has to offer! It's like a magic wand wave, and voila, a whole new taste sensation appears!(wo)man, that sounds delicious right now!
There's always a new taste sensation waiting to be discovered - it's an exciting journey And nothing satisfies quite like a delicious, carefully crafted meal.

The joy of discovering new flavours and aromas is one of life's greatest pleasures. Each bite promises an adventure for the taste buds, igniting curiosity for the next culinary exploration. There's a world of taste buds to tantalise and satisfy with every delicious dish discovered!

Food is an adventure that sparks excitement with every bite, offering a chance for our taste buds to embark on an exhilarating expedition. The discovery of new flavours and aromas keeps the palette alive and yearning for more!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu