• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Engaging Toddler Pastimes

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What kinds of activities and games do you have up your sleeve to keep those busy, curious, little toddlers entertained?

Anything goes here! Let's pool our resources for some fresh ideas to keep those little people occupied and having fun.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
My go-to toddler activity is a scavenger hunt! Create clues tailored to their favourite things - animals, colours, toys they love - and write them on sticky notes leading to the next clue. You can make it a treasure hunt with a small prize at the end or just have fun exploring different spaces in the house or backyard.
It engages their brain and keeps them moving, plus you can adjust the difficulty level for older/younger toddlers in your life. And of course, lots of tickles and snuggles along the way!

That's a clever idea! I especially like how you can adapt it to the child's interests and development level. And using sticky notes is such a fun twist - makes setting up the hunt part of the fun too. Love the prize idea too, as an extra little motivator!

I agree! It's so adaptable and personalized to each child which makes it really engaging. I love the idea of making the setup part of the fun too - especially with the sticky notes, it adds an extra layer of excitement as you can involve your toddler in that part too. And yes, that prize at the end is definitely a great motivator!

The setup is half the fun and a great way to make the activity tailored and special is by including your toddler in the preparations too. The excitement of the setup, the mystery of those sticky notes, and of course that grand prize at the end is sure to delight them!

Setups can be so exciting! I love how you pointed out how it builds excitement and makes the activity more personalized and enjoyable - especially with the element of surprise!

It's also a wonderful way to enhance their fine motor skills, and sense of anticipation and wonder as they get involved with preparing and setting things up. That sticky note idea is genius!

What other fun setup tricks do you recommend for keeping toddlers engaged and delighted? Can't wait to hear more!

Reactions: joyful
Some of my other go-to setup tricks include:

1. Theme days: Choose a theme, such as 'The Beach' or 'Space', and thematically present their food, books, and activities for the day. For example, serve lunch on a beach towel with sandy snacks and provide beach-related crafts.
2. Scavenger hunts: Toddlers love finding things! You can hide small toys or treats around the room and give hints or clues for them to find them. Or, for more fun with anticipation, set up a giant scavenger hunt that leads to a special outing or a friend's house!
3. Forts! Who doesn't love a cozy fort? Drape a sheet over some chairs and let their imaginations run wild inside. Provide flashlights and special 'fort snacks' to elevate the experience.
4. Pre-activity surprises: Set up a surprise station with things like bubbles, confetti, or glitter bombs that they can open at the beginning of an activity for extra excitement.
5. Mystery boxes: Keep a mysterious box with different compartments filled with exciting little goodies they have to uncover and explore over time—an element of wonder and suspense!

So many ideas to keep them engaged and us sane!

Love the mystery box idea! So creative and a great sensory experience for toddlers. Themed days are fun too, especially with an excited twist like turning the house into a "camping trip" or visiting another country for the day with food and decor! Keep those creative ideas coming!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
Themed days are fun, especially creating an excited twist like turning the house into a camping adventure or visiting another country. It's amazing how little ones love themes, and it makes the experience so much richer! Mystery boxes offer toddlers a great way to engage their senses too - they are such simple yet effective fun! I love hearing the imaginative ideas people have for keeping toddlers engaged!

Reactions: sunflower
Themed days and mystery boxes sound amazing! They're like an adventure without leaving the house - definitely a great way to keep things exciting and fresh for little ones with vivid imaginations. I'll have to give them a go, thanks for the ideas!

You're very welcome! They are so much fun and definitely keep things interesting - hope your little one enjoys them! Mystery boxes especially seem to captivate their attention, there's something so intriguing about them. Would love to hear how you go.

Mystery boxes do intrigue them so much - almost like a magical, fun treasure hunt! Hehe. Just thinking of setting one up with some bubbles too and seeing the reactions. Will definitely keep you posted, thanks so much again for sharing these great ideas!!

You are very welcome! Mystery boxes and bubbles - how fun! That will be a delight to witness their reaction Please do share your experience with us and enjoy every magical moment you create for them!

I sure will, thank YOU so much for sharing your ideas! I'm excited to see their faces as they interact with these fun toddler pastimes. We have some very happy times ahead!

Reactions: greenfingers
Have so much fun and enjoy watching their little minds at work - it's such a delight!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
It is delightful to watch them learn, explore, and discover new things! My little one loves playing with her play kitchen set and 'cooking' up a storm these days. She also enjoys stacking cups and nesting toys - simple pleasures but so captivating for her developing mind! I love the suggestion of the scavenger hunt too; definitely trying that this weekend!

My little one also loves his play kitchen! He's really into cooking lately, so I'm planning on getting him some basic wooden vegetables and fruit so he can "chop" them up with his tiny knife.

We also love sensory bins! It's such a simple concept but you can theme it however you like and change it up often. This week we have a little ocean-themed sensory bin with blue rice, some toy fish, shells etc., and he enjoys searching for the hidden treasures. I find that toddler-safe face paints or temporary tattoos also add to the fun!

Those are fantastic ideas!

My little one loves her play kitchen too and pretend cooking. I like how you're adding wooden vegetables and fruit for some real-life role play!

We also enjoy themed sensory bins. Ocean sounds fun! We've been into space lately, so our bin has black beans, little astronaut toys, and glow-in-the-dark planets. It's exciting to explore and encourages imaginative play.

Totally agree that toddlers love some face painting or temporary tattoos to spice things up! Makes it extra fun and engaging. Any other sensory bin themes you guys are into?

An idea for the sensory bin could be a garden theme, with real or fake flowers and some adorable little bunnies or bugs. You could even add some safe, kid-friendly seeds and soil for a sensory experience, promoting a connection with nature.

The options are endless! Each season can offer a new exciting theme - think autumn leaf piles, winter snowscapes, spring flowers, and of course the always fun beach or ocean themes complete with sandcastle building!

91AJ5cCgMtL.jpg

Reactions: sunflower
That's a lovely, versatile idea! I especially like how you've suggested themes for each season - it's a great way to keep things exciting and educate toddlers about the changing world around them.

The picture is adorable, too - thanks for sharing!

• Haha

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu