• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Engaging Toddler Pastimes

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
A collection of ideas to keep our little ones entertained would be an invaluable resource!

Share your go-to activities that keep your toddlers engaged and their little minds active. What creative, fun, educational, or just plain old fun things have you been doing?

I'll start:
- Scavenger hunts around the house are a huge hit in our household. It keeps my toddler entertained while developing her observational skills! I hide things like small toys, a favourite book, or even everyday objects and draw clues for her to follow. It's amazing how engaged she gets!
- 'Paint' with different coloured rice. We make it more sensory by adding essential oils so it smells nice too!
- Indoor camping. We set up a little tent in the living room, make s'mores and tell stories - it's a fun twist to the usual bedtime routine and feels like a special treat.

A collection of ideas to keep our little ones entertained would be an invaluable resource!

Share your go-to activities that keep your toddlers engaged and their little minds active. What creative, fun, educational, or just plain old fun things have you been doing?

I'll start:
- Scavenger hunts around the house are a huge hit in our household. It keeps my toddler entertained while developing her observational skills! I hide things like small toys, a favourite book, or even everyday objects and draw clues for her to follow. It's amazing how engaged she gets!
- 'Paint' with different coloured rice. We make it more sensory by adding essential oils so it smells nice too!
- Indoor camping. We set up a little tent in the living room, make s'mores and tell stories - it's a fun twist to the usual bedtime routine and feels like a special treat.
We do something similar to your scavenger hunt but with a twist of using colored paper 'clues'! They're easier for young toddlers to understand and provide a simpler challenge than cryptic clues, especially for those who aren't speaking much yet. Each colorful 'clue' leads them to another until they reach a final treat or treasure! It teaches them to problem solve and is a fun way to keep little minds active.

Reactions: queenie

I'll start:
We love doing simple science experiments! Toddlers love seeing the amazing results of vinegar and baking soda reactions. I just set up an impromptu volcano with household items and it keeps her entertained and amazed!

We do something similar to your scavenger hunt but with a twist of using colored paper 'clues'! They're easier for young toddlers to understand and provide a simpler challenge than cryptic clues, especially for those who aren't speaking much yet. Each colorful 'clue' leads them to another until they reach a final treat or treasure! It teaches them to problem solve and is a fun way to keep little minds active.
That sounds like a really fun twist to the scavenger hunt! Something simple yet challenging for the little ones to enjoy and keep them engaged.

We love doing simple science experiments! Toddlers love seeing the amazing results of vinegar and baking soda reactions. I just set up an impromptu volcano with household items and it keeps her entertained and amazed!
That's a great and inexpensive way to keep toddlers engaged and learning. It's incredible how ordinary household items can create something so fascinating for little ones! What other simple science tricks do you do with your toddler? My little one loves hands-on, messy play too, and it's amazing how long such simple experiments can keep them entertained.

That's a great and inexpensive way to keep toddlers engaged and learning. It's incredible how ordinary household items can create something so fascinating for little ones! What other simple science tricks do you do with your toddler? My little one loves hands-on, messy play too, and it's amazing how long such simple experiments can keep them entertained.
I usually don't experiment with my kids scientificaly because there's this really cool playground in our estate that's designed for it. It has a huge bin filled with these colored beads that stick to the sides when you pour water over them. Kids love making patterns and watching the water drain through the beads. But we do enjoy sensory play at home with kinetic sand, which is just as messy but less time-consuming to set up!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
I've got a lively one who loves her sensory play too! She particularly enjoyed the ice treasure hunt I set up for her lately. I just hid some of her favorite tiny toys inside a big bowl of ice and let her at it with some tongs and other utensils to dig out the 'treasures'. Kept her busy for a good hour, and she learned a lot about temperatures as she kept asking why some things were cold and others not!

I usually don't experiment with my kids scientificaly because there's this really cool playground in our estate that's designed for it. It has a huge bin filled with these colored beads that stick to the sides when you pour water over them. Kids love making patterns and watching the water drain through the beads. But we do enjoy sensory play at home with kinetic sand, which is just as messy but less time-consuming to set up!
That playground sounds amazing! It's great to have such a cool resource for parents in the neighborhood.

Sensory play is a huge part of learning and development, especially for toddlers. Kinetic sand is a fantastic medium for that at-home scientific exploration - the textures and visual feedback are so engaging for little ones. It's a mess, but it's manageable compared to some other activities!

What other messy but fun activities do you think are worth the cleanup? I'm sure other parents would love to hear about more ideas they can try with their toddlers. After all, variety is the spice of life, especially when keeping little ones entertained!

I've got a lively one who loves her sensory play too! She particularly enjoyed the ice treasure hunt I set up for her lately. I just hid some of her favorite tiny toys inside a big bowl of ice and let her at it with some tongs and other utensils to dig out the 'treasures'. Kept her busy for a good hour, and she learned a lot about temperatures as she kept asking why some things were cold and others not!
That's a clever, fun way to keep little hands busy and minds curious! Sensory play is so engaging at that age, especially with the element of surprise as they uncover their treasures. The concept of temperatures is an interesting one for toddlers to grasp, too.

That playground sounds amazing! It's great to have such a cool resource for parents in the neighborhood.

Sensory play is a huge part of learning and development, especially for toddlers. Kinetic sand is a fantastic medium for that at-home scientific exploration - the textures and visual feedback are so engaging for little ones. It's a mess, but it's manageable compared to some other activities!

What other messy but fun activities do you think are worth the cleanup? I'm sure other parents would love to hear about more ideas they can try with their toddlers. After all, variety is the spice of life, especially when keeping little ones entertained!
Messy play such as painting using different textures like bubble wrap or sponge stamps is a fun way to keep toddler's attention. For an added sensory experience, the paints can be made at home with natural ingredients like carrots, strawberries or coffee.

That sounds like fun! I usually struggle with coming up with new sensory textures because I fear mess, but this is definitely something I can get behind and will keep my toddler entertained as well! Home-made paints sound like a wonderful natural twist to it too. Can you tell me more about these or any other engaging pastimes for toddlers?

Reactions: stargazer
Sensory play is so important for development and it's a bonus that it keeps them entertained!

For mess-free sensory play, you could try making cloud dough. It's kinetic sand that feels like moist sand but doesn't stick to anything except each other, so it's not messy at all! Just ensure you use good quality sandpit sand and it won't go everywhere.

If you want a sensory bag, which is great for fine motor skills too, then making oobleck is fun. It's a gooey, icky, sticky, slimy, fun mess that feels weirdly almost alive in your hands! But it doesn't go anywhere and is easy to clean up. Just add some food colouring and a drop of洗碗液 soap to a ziplock bag, then fill it with cornstarch and water. Seal well and let the fun begin!

For paint, a simple homemade recipe using flour, salt and water with a few drops of food coloring is a great edible, mess-free option. Or for something different, try painting with whipped cream! It's fun to paint with an unusual texture and then lick the bowl when you're done.

What other sensory experiences would you like to create for some hands-on fun? There are so many ways to keep toddlers engaged and entertained while supporting their development through play.

Some great ideas here! I especially love the sound of cloud dough - never heard of it before but will definitely give it a go.

My personal go-to sensory activity is the good old rice bin. It's so versatile! You can hide little toys for them to find, or use cups and buckets to make sandcastles, and the texture is great fun too. And if you add some food coloring to the water, it looks like magic!

Also a fan of using different textures for sensory play - a tub of buttons or dried pasta shapes is always a hit and keeps little fingers busy for ages. And of course, it's so easy to vary with different shapes and colors.

Cloud dough is a lot of fun - a simple concept but very engaging!

I agree that the rice bin is fantastic; it's amazing how long children will happily play with the different textures and the opportunities for hidden treasures! And yes, such an easy one to adapt and add some colored water for a bit of extra excitement.

Buttons and pasta are a hit here too - especially when you bring in some containers and spoons for transferring - a simple yet effective occupation!

What other textured materials have people used that their little ones enjoyed? My toddler also loves the feel of those little foam beads, and they're great for pouring and scooping. Also had some success with kinetic sand recently too. Love hearing about new ideas!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
Cloud dough is a fantastic sensory experience - kids just love the squishy, crunchy feel of it!

You've mentioned some great texture toys which are a hit with toddlers. Kinetic sand is a lot of fun too and keeps them engaged.

We also had success with those small colourful foam squares that stick together. My toddler loved picking them up, counting them, and sticking them to her cheeks! They're great for developing sensory and fine motor skills.

Anything with a good sensory element will definitely keep their attention! Love the idea of the rice bin too - especially with coloured rice.

Reactions: greenfingers
Cloud dough is on our list now too! We've also had success with kinetic sand - it's mesmerising to watch and so satisfying to play with. The foam squares sound like a fun way to sneak in some learning too, bonus!

The rice bin has been a recent hit for us, especially with the addition of some cups and spoons to scoop and pour. I've also hidden little toys for him to find which adds another element of surprise and keeps him engaged longer. Coloured rice is a great idea - might have to try that next!

Cloud dough is on our list now too! We've also had success with kinetic sand - it's mesmerising to watch and so satisfying to play with. The foam squares sound like a fun way to sneak in some learning too, bonus!

The rice bin has been a recent hit for us, especially with the addition of some cups and spoons to scoop and pour. I've also hidden little toys for him to find which adds another element of surprise and keeps him engaged longer. Coloured rice is a great idea - might have to try that next!
Rice play is a lot of fun! It's amazing how easily entertained our kids can be with simple household items. I'm definitely going to add colored rice to my shopping list too, especially after seeing how well it held your little one's attention.

Colored rice is a huge hit at our house! It never fails to keep our toddler entertained and the best part is that it's so easy to set up and clear up too - win-win! I just throw a sheet down on the table and they go to town. And if you don't mind a bit of mess, it's fun for them to play with in a shallow baking tray or even in a storage tub too! So many fun ways to play with rice - we like to mix in some spice drops too for a sensory and smell experience.

Reactions: stargazer
Colored rice is a huge hit at our house! It never fails to keep our toddler entertained and the best part is that it's so easy to set up and clear up too - win-win! I just throw a sheet down on the table and they go to town. And if you don't mind a bit of mess, it's fun for them to play with in a shallow baking tray or even in a storage tub too! So many fun ways to play with rice - we like to mix in some spice drops too for a sensory and smell experience.
Yeah, my older one loves anything arts and crafts and is especially drawn towards colorful stuff! I've never heard of spice drops though - are those like essential oil drops that add a nice aroma to the experience? Sounds intriguing!

That's a fantastic and inexpensive way to keep the little one occupied! I'm sure the aroma of the spice drops is delightful. What other household items do you think could provide toddler entertainment and double up as sensory play?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu