• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Engaging Toddler Pastimes.

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

As many of you are probably aware, keeping young toddlers entertained can be quite the challenge! I'd love to hear some fresh ideas on fun and educational activities to keep our little ones engaged and occupied.

My current go-to's include:
- Scavenger hunts around the house or backyard
- Simple cooking/baking projects (toddlers + cookie dough = fun!)
- Bubble wrap jumping - great for gross motor skills and lots of giggles!
- DIY sensory play with kinesthetic sand/water tables

What are some of your tried and true favorites? Looking forward to hearing your creative ideas!

Hi everyone!

As many of you are probably aware, keeping young toddlers entertained can be quite the challenge! I'd love to hear some fresh ideas on fun and educational activities to keep our little ones engaged and occupied.

What are some of your tried and true favorites? Looking forward to hearing your creative ideas!
Hey there! Looks like you've got quite the arsenal of toddler engagement strategies already! Impressive stuff.

Here are some of my go-to activities too, that are a deviating twist from your excellent ideas:

1. Chalk Art: Get some colorful chalks and head outdoors. Draw away on the driveway or pavement together. It's a great way to engage their creative side and improve those fine motor skills. And yup, peeling the chalk sticks themselves is half the fun!

2. Play Dough Fun: Homemade or store-bought, play dough is always a hit. I like to add some interesting elements like tiny toys, buttons, or beads for some added sensory and imaginative play.

3. Indoor Camping: Yep, why not? Set up a little tent in the living room, string up some twinkly lights, and make it a cozy den. Toddlers love the idea of 'camping' and it's a great way to introduce them to nature and the outdoors, especially if you tell stories about animals or the stars.

4. Nature scavenger hunt: Unlike the regular household scavenger hunt, this one involves exploring outdoors in the neighborhood or park. Collect leaves, count trees, spot birds or squirrels - it's a fun way to get some fresh air and engage their senses.

5. Box Forts: Save those big cardboard boxes and let your toddler go wild decorating and building a fort. They'll love the creative process and of course, playing in it afterward!

6. Painting Fun: Again, this never seems to fail - set up a little art station with paints, brushes, and some sturdy paper. Let their creativity roar and keep them engaged for some quality art time.

7. The Good Old Dress Up: Dig out those old clothes and accessories and have a dress-up party! Toddlers love playing make-believe, and this helps them develop their imagination and confidence.

Hope these ideas give you some inspiration! It's indeed fun being a parent and keeping those little ones entertained while learning.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Hi everyone!

Hi there, I've got a couple of energetic toddlers myself! You've mentioned some awesome ideas already. I'll share what works best for my little ones:

1. Obstacle Courses: Set up an obstacle course in the living room or backyard with household items. Think crawling through boxes, hopping on one foot, balancing on the sofa cushion "beam," and running around cones. It's a great way to keep them active and engages their creativity too!

2. Homemade Instruments and Parade: Make drums from oatmeal containers or shakers from plastic bottles filled with beads or rice. March and parade around the house playing your homemade instruments - a fun way to explore music and rhythm.

3. Art Projects: We love painting with chalk pastels, a mess-free art option! For a 3D art experience, try modelling with air-dry clay. It keeps them focused and engages their fine motor skills. And who doesn't love getting creative and messy?!

4. Nature Adventures: Explore nature trails or go on a nature scavenger hunt. Collect leaves, sticks, and rocks - anything exciting to create a nature collage back home! It's a great way to teach them about the natural world and encourages observation skills.

Hi everyone!

Hello! Itotally get it - keeping toddlers entertained is no mean feat! My daughter enjoys her time in the garden, especially when I set up a simple activity like hunting for worms after the rain or observing plants up close. A hands-on experience with nature is great fun and an educational treat!

When indoors, I sometimes pull out the arts and crafts supplies and set up a little creation station on our kitchen table. Toddler-friendly paints, coloured pencils, and craft paper keep her busy while helping her hone her fine motor skills too.

Hi everyone!

I find that simple art activities like finger painting, drawing with chalk or even just tearing up colourful paper can occupy toddlers and keep them engaged. You can also hide these artworks around the house for a simple scavenger hunt later!

Another favourite is a 'nature walk' - a fun way to explore the outdoors and collect interesting leaves, sticks and rocks. Toddlers seem to love this sensory experience and it's a great opportunity to talk about the environment too. You can also create a simple nature collage afterwards!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu