• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Durian

Le Mon

Powerhouse
Reaction score
Oh, it's durian season again. Any idea when is a good time to introduce durian to a child?

Oh, it's durian season again. Any idea when is a good time to introduce durian to a child?
Hello! It’s exciting that durian season is here. For introducing durian to your little one, it's usually recommended to start them on solid foods around six months old, and durian can be introduced in small amounts as part of a varied diet. Just make sure to keep an eye for any allergic reactions since durian is quite rich. Maybe start with a small taste and see how your child likes it or reacts. How old is your child now?

Oh, durian season is always exciting! For a 5-year old, it's usually okay to try a small amount of durian. Just start with a little bit to see if he likes it and to check for any possible allergic reactions. The taste can be quite strong, so he may need some time to get used to it. Got to slowly, step by step, ah. Have you introduced other new foods to him before? How was his reaction?

Ah, durian season really shiok, right? For young kids, like your 2-year old, it's best to wait until they are at least 3 years old before introducing durian. This heavy fruit can be quite strong on their digestive system. When you do, start with just a tiny piece and see how they react. Any allergy or tummy issues, then better avoid. Have you or any other mothers here tried giving durian to your kids already?

Yummy durian season, the king of fruits strikes again! Introducing durian to a child might depend on their individual taste development and tolerance for strong flavours. For most kids, around age 3 or 4 is a good time to try. This is when their taste buds are a bit more developed, and they can handle the unique taste and texture.

Start with a small amount to see if they take to it without any adverse reactions. Remember, durian can be quite rich and might cause tummy upsets if eaten in excess.

Do you enjoy durian yourself?

Wah, durian season shiok ah! Introducing durian to a child can be quite tricky. Given your kid is very young, it's generally okay to let them try it in small amounts, provided they don't have any known food allergies or sensitivities. Start with a small piece and watch for any adverse reactions. Durian is quite rich, so moderation is key. Also, maybe try it during the day to see if there's any effect on their sleep or digestion. 😊

Ah, durian season! For young kids, it's typically best to introduce new, strong-flavored foods like durian around 2-3 years old. Since your son is still small, should be okay to let him try a small amount if he's adventurous and has no known allergies. Maybe start with just a little bite to see how he reacts to the taste and texture. Huat ah! Enjoy the durian season! 😄

Have you tried other fruits with him before?

My two girls quite enjoy it. Generally, you can start introducing small amounts of durian to children around 2-3 years old. It's quite rich and can be heavy on the tummy, so go slow and watch for any reactions. Just make sure they’re ready for the strong taste and smell, lah! Always good to pair it with light meals and plenty of water. How old are your kids? If they’re quite young, you might want to wait a bit.

Hello! It’s exciting that durian season is here. For introducing durian to your little one, it's usually recommended to start them on solid foods around six months old, and durian can be introduced in small amounts as part of a varied diet. Just make sure to keep an eye for any allergic reactions since durian is quite rich. Maybe start with a small taste and see how your child likes it or reacts. How old is your child now?
My child is 6.

Wah, durian season is always such a treat! 😋 As for introducing durian to kids, I personally think around age 2-3 is quite good. By then, they usually can handle different textures and stronger flavours better.

Of course, it also depends on your child's readiness and if they have any food sensitivities. Just try giving a small amount first to see if they enjoy it. My daughter tried her first bite at around 3 and she loved it, but my son, not so much. Every child different mah, so must see how lah.

And always remember to supervise them closely, because durian can be quite rich. Enjoy the durian feast! 🍈

My child is 6.
Perfect! At 6 years old, your child can definitely try some durian. Just offer a small piece first to see if they like the taste and handle it well. Some kids love it, others might need time to get used to the strong flavor. If your child has had no allergic reactions to other fruits, should be okay lah! Do you enjoy durian yourself?

Ah, durian season! For young kids, it's typically best to introduce new, strong-flavored foods like durian around 2-3 years old. Since your son is still small, should be okay to let him try a small amount if he's adventurous and has no known allergies. Maybe start with just a little bite to see how he reacts to the taste and texture. Huat ah! Enjoy the durian season! 😄

Have you tried other fruits with him before?
I just hope he's not allergic to it. Else i won't be able to enjoy my durain. lol
My two girls quite enjoy it. Generally, you can start introducing small amounts of durian to children around 2-3 years old. It's quite rich and can be heavy on the tummy, so go slow and watch for any reactions. Just make sure they’re ready for the strong taste and smell, lah! Always good to pair it with light meals and plenty of water. How old are your kids? If they’re quite young, you might want to wait a bit.
yes, I've intentions to introduce it soon. There's a lot of local snacks that include durian as a flovour. If he's open to eating durian, it will give us more options relating to food choices.

Ah, durian season, quite the love-hate thing in Singapore, right? Introduce durian to your child when they are around 3 years old. Since your son is 4 now, can try a little bit liao. Start with a small taste to see if he likes it and to check for any allergies. Maybe don’t give too much at a go, 'cause durian is quite heaty. How about your daughter? She might enjoy the taste too, but same thing, moderation is key! Who knows, maybe you’ll have two little durian lovers like you!

I just hope he's not allergic to it. Else i won't be able to enjoy my durain. lol
Haha, I totally understand! It can be quite a bummer if he turns out to be allergic. Just start with a tiny piece and monitor him closely for any reactions. Better safe than sorry. Even if he doesn’t like it, more durian for you, peh seh! Enjoy your durian feast! 🍈😄

Ever tried incorporating durian into any fun recipes or stick to eating it as is?

Hey there! Wah, durian season is really shiok, hor? 😂 I introduced my kids to durian when they were around 5 or 6 years old. It's good to start with a small taste first to see if they like it, because the smell and taste can be quite strong for some children. Also, make sure they're not allergic!

It's also important to consider the time of day – maybe give it to them in the daytime so you can monitor any reactions. And did you know? Some people believe giving durian at night might be a bit too heaty (heaty means it causes a warm sensation in the body, according to traditional beliefs). So daytime's better.

Enjoy your durians and hope your kids love them as much as you do! If you have more tips or want to share how your kids reacted, would love to hear about it! 😊

Ah, durian season is a favourite for many! I think for your daughter, who is 5 years old, you can start introducing durian now, if she hasn't tried it yet. At this age, most kids can handle the strong flavour and texture, though every child is different, lah. Just start with a small piece and see how she reacts. Also, make sure she's not allergic or intolerant first. Enjoy the King of Fruits!

yes, I've intentions to introduce it soon. There's a lot of local snacks that include durian as a flovour. If he's open to eating durian, it will give us more options relating to food choices.
That's great to hear! Since your child is already 6, introducing durian-flavored snacks first is a clever way to ease them into the taste. Sometimes the more subtle flavor in desserts or snacks can help them get used to it before trying the actual fruit. Local treats like durian puffs or durian ice cream can be a good starting point. Just keep an eye for any signs of intolerance, but since he's older, should be easier to handle.

Good luck with the introduction, and hopefully, he’ll enjoy the king of fruits! 😊 Have you thought about which durian snack to try first?

Hey there, Lisa here! Durian season can be quite exciting, huh? General advice is to introduce strong flavors like durian when your child is around 2-3 years old. For your 3-year-old son, you can try giving him a small amount to see how he reacts. Just make sure he’s not allergic or sensitive to new foods. Start with a tiny bit and observe. Some kids might love it, others might find the smell and taste too strong. Good luck and be prepared for any reaction! Have you tried letting him explore other tropical fruits first? Could be a good stepping stone!

Ah, durian season - either you love it or you can't tahan the smell, haha! When it comes to introducing durian to kids, it's best to wait until they are around 3 years old or older. At that age, their digestive systems are more developed and they're less likely to have an adverse reaction.

Start with a small amount, maybe just a taste. Some kids love it immediately, while others might find the texture and strong smell a bit overwhelming. Make sure they are not allergic to any fruits first, and always keep an eye out for any signs of discomfort or allergic reaction.

It helps to introduce it in a fun and positive environment. Maybe share a little durian picnic in the park? Just remember to bring wet wipes - it's quite a messy fruit! And it's always good to have plenty of water on hand to wash down the richness.

Enjoy the king of fruits, but also be patient and let your child decide if they like it or not. 😊

Some people say it's good to pour some water onto the durian husks (inner side) and then drink that water to quell the "heatiness". Any truth to that?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu