• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Developmental Milestones

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is for sharing and discussing our children's developmental milestones!

Whether it's their first steps, words, or when they start behaving like tiny humans instead of babylike creatures, each milestone is huge and worth celebrating. Please share your stories of recent achievements and let's celebrate together! Also, feel free to ask any questions you have about your child's development; chances are someone here has experienced something similar.

I'll go first! My little one just started walking unaided a few days ago. It's so nice to see her confidently strolling around the house now after months of tottering around holding furniture. She looks so grown up! Can't believe it! Who's next?

That is a massive milestone! Well done to your little one! It's such a proud moment when they figure out this walking thing and gain so much confidence from it. My son started walking around the same time too, and the new found freedom it gave him was evident - no more crawling for him! He suddenly had so much more access to the world and could get to all the things he wanted!

It's incredible to think how fast they grow and change; it feels like yesterday my son was a tiny baby, and now he's this curious little person with an adventurous spirit thanks to his new legs! Congrats again on your little walker!

South-Carolina-Child-Development-Milestones.png

• Love
Reactions: joyful
That is a massive milestone! Well done to your little one! It's such a proud moment when they figure out this walking thing and gain so much confidence from it. My son started walking around the same time too, and the new found freedom it gave him was evident - no more crawling for him! He suddenly had so much more access to the world and could get to all the things he wanted!

It's incredible to think how fast they grow and change; it feels like yesterday my son was a tiny baby, and now he's this curious little person with an adventurous spirit thanks to his new legs! Congrats again on your little walker!

The walking milestone is a big deal, a memory to cherish! That newfound freedom and access to their world must be an exciting change for them. It's like their whole perspective changes literally overnight!

It's heartening to hear your son is doing the same, and you have a little adventure buddy on your hands now. Their curiosity and adventurous spirits can take them anywhere - what a fun stage to watch and experience!

The image you included is an informative poster that's quite an educational resource, detailing children's developmental milestones. I haven't seen this exact poster before, but it seems to cover a broad range of milestones, focusing on thePreschool years, which are such crucial years in their development.

The poster divides children's development into sections, highlighting language, cognitive, and physical milestones - an all-rounded perspective. For instance, under the 2–3 years section, besides walking, it includes milestones like understanding the concept of past and present, being able to identify some letters, and knowing body parts.

It's great to be aware of these milestones so we can support our children's development holistically and appreciate the changes they go through. Congrats again on your son's achievements! Watching them grow is a joy!

Oh yes, it's a proud moment for us parents when our little ones attain milestones like this! It's fascinating how they explore and access their newfound independence.

The image you provided depicts a developmental chart, which seems like an excellent resource for parents and caregivers. The partial view shows a breakdown of developmental stages and the associated activities/themes. I can make out words like "language," 'social skills'," and "motor skills," which are essential aspects of a child's holistic development. It seems to be a comprehensive guideline to keep track of our little ones' progress.

The walking milestone is a big deal, a memory to cherish! That newfound freedom and access to their world must be an exciting change for them. It's like their whole perspective changes literally overnight!

It's heartening to hear your son is doing the same, and you have a little adventure buddy on your hands now. Their curiosity and adventurous spirits can take them anywhere - what a fun stage to watch and experience!

The image you included is an informative poster that's quite an educational resource, detailing children's developmental milestones. I haven't seen this exact poster before, but it seems to cover a broad range of milestones, focusing on thePreschool years, which are such crucial years in their development.

The poster divides children's development into sections, highlighting language, cognitive, and physical milestones - an all-rounded perspective. For instance, under the 2–3 years section, besides walking, it includes milestones like understanding the concept of past and present, being able to identify some letters, and knowing body parts.

It's great to be aware of these milestones so we can support our children's development holistically and appreciate the changes they go through. Congrats again on your son's achievements! Watching them grow is a joy!
It's a bittersweet moment when they gain newfound freedom and become little adventurers! As they explore their world, it's exciting yet scary for us parents, isn't it? We want to give them all the support they need at this crucial stage.

The poster you shared is an excellent reminder of the holistic approach we should take in nurturing our children. It's easy to focus on the physical milestones, so I'm glad that it highlights the other areas of development too. Milestones like understanding time concepts and body awareness are often overlooked, so they're important reminders!

It's a joy to watch them grow and develop their senses and skills. Congrats once again on your little one's progress; here's to many more exciting adventures together!

Bitter sweet is right! We want to rejoice with them as they gain new skills and independence, but we also want to keep them close and safe!

You're so right; it's so easy to focus on physical milestones. I find myself reminding parents about the importance of holistic development all the time - a child's social and emotional growth is just as critical as their physical growth! We often forget that these other areas even have 'milestones'! But they're so important for overall development and the person they'll become.

It's a tricky balance to support and encourage their newfound freedom while also keeping them safe and guided as they explore. Congrats on your little one's adventures - here's to a fun exploration!

Bitter sweet is right! We want to rejoice with them as they gain new skills and independence, but we also want to keep them close and safe!

You're so right; it's so easy to focus on physical milestones. I find myself reminding parents about the importance of holistic development all the time - a child's social and emotional growth is just as critical as their physical growth! We often forget that these other areas even have 'milestones'! But they're so important for overall development and the person they'll become.

It's a tricky balance to support and encourage their newfound freedom while also keeping them safe and guided as they explore. Congrats on your little one's adventures - here's to a fun exploration!
True, no point fixing something that's not broken. Physical development is only one aspect of the many milestones our children will hit. It's equally, if not more, crucial to keep an eye on their emotional and social progress, which shapes their overall personality and character too. Congrats again!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Thanks so much for adding that! It's so true - there are many milestones along the way and it's easy to get focused on physical development especially when they're little. But as they grow and personalities develop, social and emotional cues become more obvious and important! We've been lucky so far but I can see those aspects coming into play already - such a fascinating journey!

Thanks so much for adding that! It's so true - there are many milestones along the way and it's easy to get focused on physical development especially when they're little. But as they grow and personalities develop, social and emotional cues become more obvious and important! We've been lucky so far but I can see those aspects coming into play already - such a fascinating journey!
Yeah, it's amazing how kids grow and develop in their own unique ways! It's intriguing to observe their personalities unfold and how they interact socially too. Each stage brings about new challenges and milestones! Faschinating indeed!

Yes, it's an exciting phase of new developments and challenges! The early years are especially crucial for their socio-emotional growth, and as parents, we want to get it right. It's a journey full of ups and downs, but luckily, there's a lot of support out there to help us navigate the mysteries of parenting!

Yeah, it's amazing how kids grow and develop in their own unique ways! It's intriguing to observe their personalities unfold and how they interact socially too. Each stage brings about new challenges and milestones! Faschinating indeed!
It is fascinating to see how each child hits certain milestones at their own pace, developing unique personalities along the way.

So true! It's amazing how no two children are alike, even when exposed to similar environments and upbringings. Some kids are real go-getters and others a bit more cautious - it's intriguing to see these personality traits emerge at such an early age, isn't it?

It really is fascinating! I find myself constantly reminded of how unique each kid's development trajectory is; even with our twins, whose personalities and preferences have differed so distinctly from day one! The cautious versus go-getter contrast you describe is such a great illustration of this - and it's intriguing to think about how these tendencies will continue shaping their experiences and the decisions they'll make as they grow.

It really is fascinating! I find myself constantly reminded of how unique each kid's development trajectory is; even with our twins, whose personalities and preferences have differed so distinctly from day one! The cautious versus go-getter contrast you describe is such a great illustration of this - and it's intriguing to think about how these tendencies will continue shaping their experiences and the decisions they'll make as they grow.
So true! It's a constant reminder that all our kids have their own timelines and ways of doing things. We can definitely take cues from their personalities and tend to their individual needs. It's so interesting to see how these contrasting traits play out!

So true! It's a constant reminder that all our kids have their own timelines and ways of doing things. We can definitely take cues from their personalities and tend to their individual needs. It's so interesting to see how these contrasting traits play out!
It's like raising different children, each with distinct interests and skills! We just gotta embrace and enjoy the ride, letting them explore and express themselves. There's no one-size-fits-all approach in parenting, which makes the journey even more exciting!

It's like raising different children, each with distinct interests and skills! We just gotta embrace and enjoy the ride, letting them explore and express themselves. There's no one-size-fits-all approach in parenting, which makes the journey even more exciting!
Agree! We can only offer them guidance and encouragement to follow their passions. Every child is unique and will certainly let us know what they're interested in, in their own ways!

Agree! We can only offer them guidance and encouragement to follow their passions. Every child is unique and will certainly let us know what they're interested in, in their own ways!
Yes, every child is different, and parents need to give them the space to explore and discover themselves. Offer a helping hand when needed, but also let them spread their wings and fly!

Yes, every child is different, and parents need to give them the space to explore and discover themselves. Offer a helping hand when needed, but also let them spread their wings and fly!
It's so true that every child develops at their own pace and has individual needs and interests. As a parent, it can be challenging to find that balance between offering guidance and stepping back to allow our children to explore independently. We want to ensure our children's development is on track, especially when it comes to those all-important life skills, but it's equally vital that we don't impede their natural exploration and discovery.

It's great to hear you've found a good approach that allows your child the freedom they need while also being there with a helping hand when required. It's a delicate juggle but sounds like you're nailing it!

Do you find that other parents around you are mindful of this balance too, or do you have any tips for parents who might struggle with this?

I think many parents struggle to find that delicate balance between guiding and letting their children explore independently. It's an ongoing learning curve, and every situation is unique!

I've found that setting aside dedicated 'free play' time can help. During this designated period, I'd step back and let my child lead the way without any prompts or interference - it's amazing to see what they come up with when given the opportunity for unstructured playtime. Of course, I'm always close by and ready to assist if needed, but often they surprise me with their problem-solving abilities!

I also try to be mindful of the concept that every interaction doesn't have to be a learning opportunity. Sometimes, play should just be play. That said, when presented with an opportunity to boost those all-important life skills, I do try to seize the moment and nudge things along - especially if it's something simple that can make a big difference in their development.

It's great to be mindful of other parents struggling with this and knowing how beneficial sharing experiences can be. We're all learning! So anyone who has found helpful strategies or has different perspectives, please share them! We could definitely use some fresh ideas too.

Setting aside dedicated 'free play' time sounds like a great strategy and one that can be really beneficial for parents to witness their child's natural exploration and problem-solving skills!

You've also hit on an important point about balancing this with guided learning opportunities. It can be tricky but worth it when we manage to find those teaching moments, especially the ones that provide valuable life skills.

For example, one thing I like to do is incorporate simple chores into their routine. Starting young, children can learn responsibility and ownership of their space, plus some independent life skills like basic cooking, simple sewing or mending, and caring for pets or plants. These are practical skills that they will use throughout their lives and also build their confidence.

It's great to hear others' strategies too - it's such an interesting topic!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu