• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Development Milestones

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are many milestones that parents look out for in their children's early years. Some of the most common ones include:

1. First steps - It's an exciting moment when your child transitions from crawling to walking, marking a big step towards independence.
2. First words/sentences - Parents often celebrate when their child starts talking and forming sentences, as it opens up a new mode of communication beyond crying or gestures.
3. Toilet training - Successful toilet training signifies the end of diaper changes, bringing a sense of relief and autonomy for both parents and children.
4. Language development - Many parents hope their children develop good language skills early on, which can include speaking multiple languages fluently.
5. Physical independence - Parents look forward to when their children gain more physical confidence and skills, such as feeding themselves or getting dressed independently, although it also comes with the realization that they're now more mobile!
6. Teeth growth - It's a relief when children's teeth finally come in, as it means an end to the discomfort of teething and the return to solid foods.

These milestones are often exciting for parents as they represent their child's growth and development. Each milestone passed is a sign of their holistic development and adaptability, bringing a sense of pride and accomplishment. Parents also find joy in celebrating these achievements, knowing that their children are growing up happy and healthy.

let's share our thoughts on development milestones. What are some of the major milestones you aim for your child to achieve, and why? Are there any experiences or stories you'd like to share regarding these milestones? Let's create a detailed and informative thread!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
When it comes to development milestones, I think one of the biggest joys as a parent is witnessing your child's language development. It's amazing to see them go from cooing and babbling to forming their first words, then stringing sentences together. I remember being fascinated by how my little one started picking up new words like a sponge, and soon started creating simple phrases.

Of course, every kid is different, and some milestones may be more challenging for them than others. For instance, toilet training can be a tricky phase, but it's a wonderful feeling when they finally get the hang of it!

I think one thing that's important to keep in mind is not to compare our kids' development too rigorously with "standard" milestones. Each child has their own pace, and as long as they're generally progressing and thriving, that's what matters most. We should celebrate each achievement, no matter how small, because every child is unique and amazing in their own right!

For me, some milestones I look forward to are when they can start interacting more meaningfully with the world around them. You know, like responding appropriately to different situations and demonstrating some level of awareness and empathy. Like, if a friend is sad, the awareness to sense it and try cheering them up, or offering an encouraging word to someone who's struggling - that kind of stuff.

I also look forward to seeing their unique personalities develop! It's fascinating how each kiddo has their own quirk and quirks. They pick up on little things in their environment and form these distinct personalities and opinions. That discovery process is truly fascinating and makes all the challenges of parenting so worthwhile!

I believe every kid has their own pace and timeline they follow for their development milestones. While we as parents might have certain expectations, it's important to remember every child is unique and may have different strengths and interests.

For me, some key milestones I hope my little one achieves include picking up solid feeding well and preferably not being a picky eater! It's such a hassle having to fight with them over every meal. Also looking forward to them talking - not just babbling or cooing, but actual words! Can imagine it'll make life easier in some ways haha. And of course toilet training is another biggie. Would love to hear others' experiences with these!

Some milestones I hope my child hits are teething and solid foods! Can't wait for the day he tastes his first soft-boiled egg yolk, hahaha!

I think these physical milestones are important as they're a great indicator that the little one's body is developing well and healthily. Of course, every kiddo has their own timeline, so I'm also prepared if he needs more time to hit these milestones. We're doing our best to offer rich and varied sensory experiences, which I hope will help spur his physical and cognitive growth!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Yah, like you said, it's really fascinating to observe how they start developing this distinct character and personality of their own! And also sense and react appropriately to the feelings of those around them. It's a joy to witness these little humans become more aware and sensitive to their surroundings and people. You'd feel so touched when they respond in kind and thoughtful ways, like offering comfort to a friend in need.

I think another big one for me is when they gain some sense of independence and start taking charge of little things - like it's quite something when they can manage certain tasks on their own and make decisions by themselves ! You know, like picking out their own clothes or packing their own snacks for a trip. Or even just putting away their toys without being told! It's a sign that all the teaching and coaching is paying off. But it can also be quite hilarious seeing their unique takes and interpretations of things!

Some things I look out for are eye contact, imitating sounds and gestures, and responding to their name being called out loud. These are little signs that they're perceiving and absorbing all the stimuli around them! Of course, every kid's development is unique, so no need to compare! But it's always exciting to see them hit these milestones cos it's a nice indication that they're growing up healthily and happily.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
My kid's developmental milestones are more like a vague roadmap cos it's hard to predict what's round the corner! But I guess that's what makes parenting exciting - you never know what new thing they'll pick up next! I just hope they grow up kind and happy - that's ultimately most important right?! So many little things give me joy - like when they finally manage to get that difficult puzzle piece in, or master the art of feeding themselves relatively mess-free ... it's a satisfying feeling cos you know all that melt downs and frustration was so worth it! I think one of the biggest milestones for me will be potty training - that'll be such a huge relief cos say goodbye to constantly buying diapers! But yeah, just focusing on enjoying each phase while it lasts and making sure they grow up learning what's right and wrong, and most importantly, happy!

Oh yes, let's go!

For my little one, some milestones I look out for are stuff like when they first start walking and talking. It's exciting to see them hit these milestones because it's a marker of their growth and also signifies the start of new phases. Like hearing their first full sentences or watching them walk steady and confident after being tottery and dependent on us for mobility. I still remember the excitement and pride my partner and I felt when our kid took her first steps! We were grinning like fools, clapping and cheering her on.

Also, teeth! Appearing teeth are also a big deal - it's such a gradual process and some kids get quite cranky during this time so it's a big relief when it's over and they have a full set of gums to chomp down on solid food again.

And toilet training is another big one - it's such a life changing skill for everyone involved, say goodbye to changing diapers! It's amazing how these little humans pick up these new skills, it's a testament to their adaptability and learning capabilities. It's a reminder that they're growing up and becoming more independent.

I think milestones are meaningful because they're an indication of the child's holistic development - physical, cognitive, and emotional. And as parents, we find joy in these signs of progress and celebrate them, no matter how small! Because we're always so proud of our little ones and their achievements are a big deal to us. So exciting!

Reactions: musical
For language development, I hope the kid can start talking early and form proper sentences by 2 years old. Don't wanna have to deal with toddler tantrums caused by communication issues! And of course, it'll be nice for the whole family if he/she speaks multiple languages fluently.

Besides that, I'd say another major one's physical independence. Mastery of gross and fine motor skills is crucial, so that the kid can move around safely and handle everyday tasks without assistance. You know, keep up with their curious little selves as they explore the world! It'll also help if they learn to feed themselves properly and minimalize mealtime messes haha.

What're some milestones on your mind?

Oh ya, another big one I look out for is when they start becoming more autonomous! You know, doing simple things like feeding themselves or trying to put on their clothes or shoes by themselves. It's such a cute stage because they're really eager to assert their newfound independence, even though they're not quite there yet haha. But it's heartwarming to see them make the effort and try!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
I see many parents getting excited about their little one's development milestones, and it's a great thing to celebrate!

My take on this is to keep a good balance of focusing on the milestones while also enjoying every step of the way. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and forget to savour the present. Before we know it, our little ones are all grown up!

For me, a big milestone I'm looking forward to is my tot's first few steps. It's such a huge achievement and marks a significant change in their independence. Then comes the terrorizing realization that tot's now mobile!

Another one would be hearing those first full sentences. It's amazing how clearly they articulate what they want . That's also when discipline and teaching values kick in - it's a whole new ball game now!

But ya, like many parents here, I'm sure, I just want my munchkin to grow up happy, healthy, and kind. All these milestones are just cherry on top.

Toilet training is no mean feat; it's a humongous deal! The sense of achievement and relief upon conquering this skill is incredibly satisfying. Gone are the days of constant diaper changes - hello, independence!

It's also fascinating to witness their first steps into the world of speech and locomotion. There's so much excitement and pride in capturing these moments, knowing full well that they won't be tiny toddlers forever. Each milestone marks their growth into resilient little humans, reminding us of their incredible adaptability and learning skills.

As parents, we can't help but revel in these indications of their holistic development, celebrating each step along the way. They say it takes a village to raise a child; the support system around us also shares in the joy of these milestones, however small, because every win counts!

Reactions: doctormama
The first few words your toddler says are super exciting! You never know what they might pick up and repeat, and it's often something unexpected, haha! Could be anything really, like advertisement jingles or catchy song lyrics, or even random phrases they hear you say. But once they hit that stage, it's so fun to play simple games with them like 'Who can say this first?' or 'I spy...' cos they're sponges just soaking up and regurgitating all kinds of new words!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Milestones like taking the first step, saying the first word, are big ones to look out for. These are exciting moments that make all the sleepless nights worth it!

Also want to add tooth-growing as a milestone, hah! It's such a cute sight when they have those little pegs showing and trying to bite into everything in sight. And then there's the added bonus of being able to eat out the baby-friendly foods that you've been missing - like ice cream!

The first taste of solids is fun too, watching their reactions - gross or delighted - as they experience all these new textures and flavours is a laugh. You're also probably celebrating every successful attempt at feeding themselves, less mess to clean up haha.

For me, it's all about the little wins! I think every time my kid hits a milestone, it's like they're leveling up in life - and that's such a cool thing to witness as a parent.

Their first steps were a big deal cause it meant we could finally take them for walks outside without lugging around a stroller. And when they started talking, it was so fascinating to hear their little cute conversations! To see them growing more independent, developing language skills and gaining more physical confidence - it's such a pride inducing feeling, you know?

I think it's also important to not stress too much about the milestones. Every kid has their own pace, ya know? As long as they're generally happy and healthy, we parents should just enjoy every step of the ride!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
I feel it's quite an achievement when my kid starts talking and making his/her first sentences - beyond the crying and babbling stage, it's really cute to hear their little voices! Also a relief cos it means I can understand what they want more easily, haha!

Toilet training's a big one too - no more changing diapers is a joy for everyone involved! But it takes patience and persistence; it didn't happen overnight. We had to celebrate the small wins along the way, like when they could tell us they had poo or pee or that they want to go to the toilet!

I also look forward to them being more physically independent - getting dressed by themselves, feeding themselves properly... It's a sign they're growing up but also that I can slowly let go and know they'll be okay on their own.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu