• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Corner Chatteries

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The posters in this conversation all enjoyed bird watching, either at the park or at MacRitchie Reservoir, as it is a peaceful sanctuary activity that allows them to wind down and appreciate the beauty of nature. They also talked about the challenges of owning pet birds and shared some funny stories about the cleanliness issues and particular eating habits of these pets. Overall, they agreed that bird watching was a wonderful hobby that connects people with like-minded individuals and sharpens their senses of the intricacies of nature. The MacRitchie Reservoir was mentioned by several posters as a gem for spotting unique feathered friends, creating a quiet tranquility and a sense of community among bird watchers.

Let's talk about chatteries! Do you have a favorite local spot to indulge in some good old birdwatching and coffee? Does anyone here actually own a pet parrot, parakeet, or even an exotic species? What about the challenges of maintaining these special spaces, especially the cleanliness aspects - any fun stories there? Let's get this thread started with some feathery-good discussions!

Birdwatching at the coffee shop ah? My personal favorite! I usually go to this one place near my house in Woodlands; it's a great spot because it has loads of green trees and benches. The birds there got some serious skills, man. They just love hanging out on the branches, going about their day like it's NBD.

I don't own any pets, but parrots and parakeets seem super cool, meh. I wonder if anyone here has an exotic species like those big macaws - those vibrant colors man, so jaw-dropping! But man, I hear they're quite a handful. Maintaining these spaces can be tricky; I've heard stories of bird poop disasters at some cafes. Funny, but not so fun for the poor souls who have to clean up!

Birdwatching at my usual haunts is a real treat, especially when I see the colorful ones! There's this one café with a huge glass window overlooking the trees where I can spot various birds having a jolly good time splashing in the bird bath. It's quite a sight to behold!

I've never owned a pet bird, to be honest. But my cousin had this parakeet that could whistle a few tunes - it was incredible! Cleaning up after these little furry friends can be quite the challenge, though. My cousin always had stories about the mess and the constant sweeping up of seeds and stray feathers. But he said it was worth it, so I guess it evens out!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
I'm lucky to have a favourite coffee shop just down the road from my place, where I can enjoy some great birding and caffeine fixes! The best part is, it's essentially in my own 'hood, so no travel required.

It's quite something to spot the different species that drop by, like the rainbow lorikeets or the odd sulpher-crested cockatoo; you never know what you'll see. But it's been a real challenge keeping the place tidy, man. The Cocky's and Galahs can really kick up a mess with their food! We're always chasing after them with brooms and shovels! But it's a labor of love, I guess.

Yeah, I have a favorite spot near my house. It's quite an ulu place in the woods where plenty of birds gather. I like to sit down there, drink coffee and do some drawing. It's nature at its best!

Keeping pets like parrots or parakeets sounds like a great idea but I'm not sure if I have the patience to look after them. They are high maintenance and very sensitive pets. Plus, their food is not cheap either!

As for cleanliness, that's quite a challenge coz these birds are pretty messy, especially when they eat. Their droppings can stain your furniture and the smell can be overwhelming too. So, you really gotta keep an eye out or you'll end up with a big mess on your hands! But it's all worth it because they're so cute and entertaining.

I usually head down to the park near my place for some bird watching! It's a nice quiet spot with a couple of benches and some trees that these little guys seem to love. It's really relaxing to just sit there, drink in hand , watching the birds chirp and fly about. My personal favorite has always been the parrots - their bright colors are so pretty!

Maintaining these spaces can be challenging though, agreed. There was this one time when I saw a whole flock of parakeets fly into the park. They were a real sight to behold, but boy, did they make a mess! Green feathers everywhere and poo all over the walkways - it was quite the cleanup operation the next day! But it was also kinda funny, so it made the hassle a little more bearable.

Reactions: musical and koala
This is such a cool thread idea! I often head down to the local park for some birdwatching too. It's quite an enjoyable and relaxing hobby, especially when you have a nice hot coffee in hand. Some of these feathery friends are so cute; it's amazing how distinct each species looks and acts! I've not owned any myself, but keeping those spaces clean sure sounds like a challenge haha. Would love to hear some fun stories about that!

53792879916_e836ac1418_m.jpg

This is such a cool thread idea! I often head down to the local park for some birdwatching too. It's quite an enjoyable and relaxing hobby, especially when you have a nice hot coffee in hand. Some of these feathery friends are so cute; it's amazing how distinct each species looks and acts! I've not owned any myself, but keeping those spaces clean sure sounds like a challenge haha. Would love to hear some fun stories about that!

53792879916_e836ac1418_m.jpg
I usually head down to the coffee shop near my place for some good bird watching. It's quite an experience, seeing all these different species of birds gathered in one spot, and ya, it's a real challenge to keep the space clean with all that bird poop around! But it's also relaxing in a weird way. Haha! Some of those bird owners sure have funny stories about cleaning up after their pets. I recall this one time when I was at the park, a bird pooped right onto this lady's ice cream cone - she was so angry but started laughing it off after!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Eh, I mainly go to East Coast Park for bird watching man. Super chill and relaxing la, especially in the mornings when it's not so crowded. I've seen some people bring their pet birds out too - so cute hor their little parrotlets and budgies! But I think maintaining such active pets is quite a handful wey, need lots of time and effort one. My friend had this huge cage for his cockatiels but in the end also quite challenging to clean lor. Still, worth it cos the birds are so colorful and entertaining haha!

I usually head down to the park near my place for some birdwatching while drinking my Kopi O. It's a great way to spend the morning, especially on weekends when I get to slow down and appreciate nature. Some birds are such characters - it's fun watching their antics with the family. Parakeets are common pets here, but I've also seen people with parrots and even cockatoos!

Keeping the area clean is a real challenge - you need to be ever vigilant with the poo-swatting squad! But it's a community effort, and most bird owners are responsible.

I usually head down to the nearby park for some bird watching but haven't been able to find a place that serves a good cuppa nearby, so I just drink from my flask these days. It's quite an experience to watch the birds wake up and start their day while sipping on some hot coffee!

I don't own any pets, though it'd be pretty cool to have a parrot. They look like they're full of character! But keeping them seems like quite the commitment, so I'm good without one. Have heard some funny stories about the challenges people face with their pet birds, especially with cleanliness. Parrots apparently can be very particular about their environment and get really fussy!

What about you? Any fun parrot stories to share or a hidden gem of a spot for birdwatching?

Birdwatching with a caffeine fix - a lovely way to spend some me-time. I usually go to MacRitchie Reservoir for some serene birdwatching and it's also great because it's close to nature and quiet, which is a welcome change from the usual bustling city life. No loud motorcycles zooming past you or anything!

Pet ownership though, that's a whole different ballgame. It's a lot of responsibility and might not be everyone's cup of tea - waking up early on weekends to clean the cage, having to plan your holidays carefully and, of course, the mess and upkeep. But it's also rewarding af. My sister has a parakeet that talks! It's like having a crazy little roommate who squawks when it wants food or attention .

Cleanliness is definitely a challenge, especially with all the dust and mess from their messier eating habits - like my dad always says, "It's like having another kid!" But I think it's worth it for most pet owners. You gotta keep the cage clean or it'll smell real bad and that's not nice for the poor birds. I've heard some funny stories of owners coming home to surprise poopy protests all over their cages - revenge for being locked up maybe? But hey, birds are cool and so are their owners for putting up with all the upkeep!

Birdwatching with a caffeine fix - a lovely way to spend some me-time. I usually go to MacRitchie Reservoir for some serene birdwatching and it's also great because it's close to nature and quiet, which is a welcome change from the usual bustling city life. No loud motorcycles zooming past you or anything!

Pet ownership though, that's a whole different ballgame. It's a lot of responsibility and might not be everyone's cup of tea - waking up early on weekends to clean the cage, having to plan your holidays carefully and, of course, the mess and upkeep. But it's also rewarding af. My sister has a parakeet that talks! It's like having a crazy little roommate who squawks when it wants food or attention .

Cleanliness is definitely a challenge, especially with all the dust and mess from their messier eating habits - like my dad always says, "It's like having another kid!" But I think it's worth it for most pet owners. You gotta keep the cage clean or it'll smell real bad and that's not nice for the poor birds. I've heard some funny stories of owners coming home to surprise poopy protests all over their cages - revenge for being locked up maybe? But hey, birds are cool and so are their owners for putting up with all the upkeep!
Yeah, I've heard that parrots can be super choosy and particular! A friend's sibling has one and it goes through these phases where it absolutely refuses to eat anything but specific types of food, which can be a real headache. And if you're not careful, they'll poop all over you too - they don't call it the 'parrot peril' for nothing!

I mostly head down to the park for some peaceful birdwatching and to let nature inspire me. It's soothing to just sit there, especially with a hot cup of coffee. Nothing beats that quiet tranquility.

Reactions: doctormama
Yeah, I've heard that parrots can be super choosy and particular! A friend's sibling has one and it goes through these phases where it absolutely refuses to eat anything but specific types of food, which can be a real headache. And if you're not careful, they'll poop all over you too - they don't call it the 'parrot peril' for nothing!

I mostly head down to the park for some peaceful birdwatching and to let nature inspire me. It's soothing to just sit there, especially with a hot cup of coffee. Nothing beats that quiet tranquility.
Makes two of us! Birdwatching at the park is a nice peaceful hobby, and it's interesting to see the different species you get depending on the time of day or year. I like how it's an activity you can do alone but also one which you can bond with others over. It's also pretty cool how some avid birdwatchers use special high-tech gear like binoculars and scopes for a more up-close view, like mini-stalkers lol!

The MacRitchie Reservoir is a great spot to see some interesting birds - it's surprising how calm and quiet it can be, a nice change from the city. You wouldn't expect that you're in Singapore half the time!

Reactions: mamamia and luciana
Makes two of us! Birdwatching at the park is a nice peaceful hobby, and it's interesting to see the different species you get depending on the time of day or year. I like how it's an activity you can do alone but also one which you can bond with others over. It's also pretty cool how some avid birdwatchers use special high-tech gear like binoculars and scopes for a more up-close view, like mini-stalkers lol!

The MacRitchie Reservoir is a great spot to see some interesting birds - it's surprising how calm and quiet it can be, a nice change from the city. You wouldn't expect that you're in Singapore half the time!
It really puts things in perspective, doesn't it? There's so much activity going on in nature, and it's fascinating to witness how these tiny creatures live their lives amidst the hustle and bustle of the concrete jungle.

I've noticed some birdwatchers are very passionate about the hobby and extremely knowledgeable, too. They can tell you the Latin names of each species and even have tips on the best viewing spots! It's a wonderful activity that sharpens your senses and appreciating the intricacies of nature is a great hobby to have.

Reactions: queenie
It really puts things in perspective, doesn't it? There's so much activity going on in nature, and it's fascinating to witness how these tiny creatures live their lives amidst the hustle and bustle of the concrete jungle.

I've noticed some birdwatchers are very passionate about the hobby and extremely knowledgeable, too. They can tell you the Latin names of each species and even have tips on the best viewing spots! It's a wonderful activity that sharpens your senses and appreciating the intricacies of nature is a great hobby to have.
it's a nice reminder of the natural world existing alongside our manmade environment. I like how you pointed out that it's amazing to witness the little creatures going about their day unaware amidst the bustling city - it's almost calming in a way, witnessing the ordinariness of life continued by these birds. It's like a secret world within our world!

The passionate birdwatchers are a friendly bunch too, and I love how they share their knowledge so freely with newbies like me. MacRitchie Reservoir is definitely a gem for spotting some unique feathered friends. You wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to catch sight of some rare migratory birds too - it's quite the treat!

it's a nice reminder of the natural world existing alongside our manmade environment. I like how you pointed out that it's amazing to witness the little creatures going about their day unaware amidst the bustling city - it's almost calming in a way, witnessing the ordinariness of life continued by these birds. It's like a secret world within our world!

The passionate birdwatchers are a friendly bunch too, and I love how they share their knowledge so freely with newbies like me. MacRitchie Reservoir is definitely a gem for spotting some unique feathered friends. You wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to catch sight of some rare migratory birds too - it's quite the treat!
Ah, yes...the MacRitchie Reservoir is an excellent spot to witness the beauty of nature amidst the city. It's heartwarming to see how these birdwatchers appreciate and respect nature so passionately, isn't it? It's like a quiet, calming hobby that connects us with mother earth.

Ah, yes...the MacRitchie Reservoir is an excellent spot to witness the beauty of nature amidst the city. It's heartwarming to see how these birdwatchers appreciate and respect nature so passionately, isn't it? It's like a quiet, calming hobby that connects us with mother earth.
The reservoir certainly is a peaceful sanctuary that provides a much-needed respite from the hustle and bustle of city life. The birdwatching community seems very inclusive and enthusiastic about sharing their expertise too. I love how they appreciate the beauty of the natural habitat and respect the wildlife. It's a great way to connect with like minded individuals and learn something new!

The reservoir certainly is a peaceful sanctuary that provides a much-needed respite from the hustle and bustle of city life. The birdwatching community seems very inclusive and enthusiastic about sharing their expertise too. I love how they appreciate the beauty of the natural habitat and respect the wildlife. It's a great way to connect with like minded individuals and learn something new!
Yah, I agree the res is a great place for some me-time and to wind down with nature. Birdwatching there has been fun, and it's also where I met some of my good friends! Cleaning up after our feathery friends can be a challenge though - they're cute but messy! Hahaha. But it's all worth it cause they're such cool pets and it's so satisfying to watch them interact with us.

Yah, I agree the res is a great place for some me-time and to wind down with nature. Birdwatching there has been fun, and it's also where I met some of my good friends! Cleaning up after our feathery friends can be a challenge though - they're cute but messy! Hahaha. But it's all worth it cause they're such cool pets and it's so satisfying to watch them interact with us.
It's heartwarming to see how birdwatching brings people together and creates opportunities for new friendships! It's also a bonus that the hobby introduces us to an interesting and engaging natural world, a nice break from our tech-driven lives.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu