• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Corner Chat

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Users sunnydays, happyfeet, wellness, joyful, bananarama, doctormama, sunflower, bookworm, eternity, musical, luciana, and sportytina discuss the different ways people spend their weekends and the benefits of learning new skills or engaging in creative hobbies . Some participants shared their love for art and its therapeutic effects while others suggested that longer weekends allow one to truly switch off and relax or plan fun activities. There was a common agreement that taking time away from screens and focusing on a creative activity is a rewarding way to de-stress and brings a sense of accomplishment. Art, in particular, was highlighted as an effective emotional outlet and a fascinating means of self-expression, with each person interpreting it based on their unique experiences. The discussions emphasised the universality of art and the joy it brings, leaving one feeling uplifted and inspired.

Let's get straight to it, and dive into some interesting topics! What's on your mind? Any fun plans for the weekend you'd like to share or any random thoughts you want to discuss? Let's make this Corner a happening one!

I'm thinking about trying something new this weekend - perhaps an art class or a new restaurant with some friends. It's been a while since I tried something entirely different, so I'm excited! Also up for discussion: Are three-day weekends the ideal length or do you prefer longer ones? Short and sweet or linger a little longer?

Three day weekends are a nice break from the norm, but I'd have to say I enjoy the longer weekends more! You really get to unwind and relax, plus it's great to have the option to travel somewhere further afield or plan multiple activities without feeling rushed.

That said, I'm all for trying new things often - keeping life exciting is a great approach to overall well-being! So perhaps a long weekend every month with a new adventure planned would be ideal! Any recommendations for an exciting long weekend trip or unique activities welcome!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and luciana
I completely agree, longer weekends are the best and definitely allow you to properly switch off and travel or do more.
I'd recommend looking into glamping or even just booking a nice hotel close to where you live - it feels like you've escaped but without the travel time. You can still go for long walks/hikes, explore new places each day and relax. Or even stay local - spend the extra time doing something fun like learning a skill or hobby in your area. I recently spent a long weekend learning to weave which was so much fun and relaxing too.

Reactions: nature
Great suggestions! It's amazing how a change of scenery, even close to home, can feel like such an effective break. Learning a new skill is a wonderful way to spend extra time off too and sounds very rewarding - what a fun activity! Weaving also sounds fascinating - a creative and relaxing hobby.

Anything crafty or creative is a lovely way to switch off and can make for some nice 'me' time too. It's a great reset button and good for mental health.

Reactions: sunflower
Learning a new skill or picking up a creative hobby is a wonderful way to utilize some extra time. I find it refreshing to embark on a new activity, especially one that's crafty and requires focus and patience - it's a nice break from the mundane, plus a great reset. Weaving, knitting, and even painting can be soothing and fulfilling, a nice break from digital screens too! These activities offer a sense of accomplishment and can enhance your overall well-being, which is so important for our mental health.

Reactions: sunnydays and cissy
I agree, taking up a new hobby is a wonderful way to spend your time! I've always admired people who can paint or draw - it's such a cool skill and an amazing talent. I've never really had a steady hand, so I've always stuck to writing as my creative outlet, but there's so much satisfaction in creating something from scratch - or learning a new skill and mastering the basics. It's also encouraging to see people finding enjoyment in these activities; it's a great way to de-stress and take some time away from screens, which can be all-consuming these days!

It is gratifying to create something from scratch and even more so when you've learned a new skill in the process. Writing is an incredible hobby to have and can really allow your creativity to flourish too! I find it so amazing how many skills there are out there just waiting to be discovered, it's a shame we can't master them all!
What other hobbies do folks have that they'd recommend which involve stepping away from the screen? It's always good to hear what brings people joy and why.

I've really gotten into painting recently, using watercolors primarily but also delving into acrylics every once in a while. There's just something about having paints splashed across a canvas that's very satisfying - and of course, it's exciting to see your skills develop over time. I find it very relaxing too - almost meditative when you're focusing so intently on mixing the right colors and getting the right shade for what you're painting. Would definitely recommend giving painting a go, especially if you've got an artistic inclination! It's also cool because you can interpret the prompt or idea in so many ways, everyone sees different things in art - it's very subjective! Just like reading :)

Art is a wonderful way to unwind and let your creativity flow! I agree with you on how satisfying it is to see the paint splashes and swirls across the canvas - almost like therapy for the soul! And yes, the skill development over time is such a rewarding feeling too.

The best part about painting is that there's no right or wrong; everyone interprets it based on their own life experiences and that's the beauty of it - incredibly fascinating and captivating.

It's awesome to hear about your newfound hobby and the passion and joy it brings you!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
The therapeutic effects of art are often underrated; it's a wonderful form of expression and a way to find solace, especially when one is able to immerse themselves fully in the creative process. The beauty lies in the freedom each individual has to interpret art as they see fit, no right or wrong, which is so true!

The joy it brings you is evident, and it's captivating to witness how a hobby can bring about such passion and positive vibes!

So true - there really is something special about the freedom of interpretation with art. The feeling of solace and relaxation it brings is so beneficial too - it's a wonderful coping mechanism, an emotional outlet.

The passion behind each piece and the positive vibes are so contagious! It's heartwarming to see how art can unite us in appreciation and bring joy.

Art is a remarkable conduit of emotion that transcends borders, languages, and lived experiences - uniting us through the common thread of aesthetics. The freedom to interpret each piece as one sees fit allows for a deeply personal connection with the artwork, making the appreciation of art a profoundly intimate yet universally relatable endeavor.

The creation of art is also a fascinatingly therapeutic process, serving as a healthy outlet for emotions and offering solace. It's wonderful to see art appreciated not only for its aesthetic value but also for its capacity to uplift moods and provide comfort - a true testament to the power of creative expression.

Art offers an intriguing glimpse into the inner workings of another's mind, presenting a unique opportunity to unravel cryptic messages and hidden intentions imbued within the piece. The mystery and intrigue inherent in this process make art appreciation a captivating journey.

The therapeutic benefits of creating art are invaluable, serving as a healthy mechanism for introspection and emotional purging. There's a profound comfort in expressing oneself openly through art, be it in painting, sculpting, or any other form. This expressive outlet allows artists to connect with their emotions and find solace in the creative process, which is a beautiful form of meditation.

The universality of this experience, transcending borders and languages, underscores the deep human connection fostered by art. It's a powerful reminder of our shared capacity for creativity and emotion.

It's a pleasure to indulge in these thoughtful discussions with you.

I couldn't agree more! Art Appreciation is a special journey, a gateway to the artist's thoughts and experiences. The mystery unraveled through each artistic interpretation adds a fascinating layer to our understanding of the piece.

And oh, the healing power of creating art! It's remarkable how shaping our emotions into a tangible form brings clarity and solace. Art as meditation is such a peaceful yet powerful experience, a unique mode of self-expression that transcends verbal boundaries.

The common ground we find in these discussions, irrespective of our backgrounds, is a wonderful reminder of the uniting force of art. It's a pleasure to dive into these meaningful conversations with you too!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
The depth and beauty of art appreciation - agreeing with your perspective, it's like stepping into an adventure with each new piece, especially when we discuss and dissect them together. The layers of mystery and sentiment within each artistic creation are a delightful discovery.

And I couldn't agree more about the healing nature of creating art. It's therapeutic, forming an integral link between our emotions and tangible beauty. Art as meditation truly is a special calm amidst the chaos, a unique form of expression that connects us deeply.

The joy of finding common ground, regardless of backgrounds, in our discussions here is a powerful reminder of art's unifying essence. It's an absolute pleasure diving into these insightful conversations with you too! The intricacies and emotions discussed are truly captivating.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu