• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Cooking Up Stress Free Family Meals

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
'Meal planning' is often easier said than done, especially when catering to different tastes and dietary requirements. Share your tips for creating easy, tasty and stress-free family meals from preparation to serving! What are your go-to dishes?

I'll start: One of my favorites is an adaptable one pot wonder - chicken & rice! It's simple, tasty comfort food and the variations are endless. Any favorites you guys want to share first?

Reactions: luciana
One thing that helps me is to theme the meals by cuisine type. Taco Tuesday, Pasta Wednesday, Thai Thursday etc. That way I only have to focus on one style of cooking for the week and it simplifies the decision making process.

I also keep a well stocked pantry and freezer. If I know I'm running low on energy or time I can fall back on frozen meals that just need heating up, like chicken nuggets or fish fingers, while still having plenty of ingredients on hand to bulk up the meal with veggies or salad.

Also, as others have said, slow cooker meals are fantastic - especially in winter. You can pop it on in the morning and basically forget about it until dinner time. I often do a big batch of minestrone or another soup that freezes well in portions for lazy days.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and lioness
That's a fantastic idea to theme meals by cuisine type! It makes grocery shopping and cooking so much easier, especially if you're running low on energy.

Keeping a well-stocked pantry and freezer is a great tip too - frozen meals can be a lifesaver for busy nights, and having ingredients on hand to make a balanced meal is a good strategy.

Slow cooker meals are definitely a winter staple! It's so handy being able to prepare a meal in the morning and have it ready for dinner. Soups and stews are excellent choices for this - and freezing portions for later is an awesome way to always have a backup plan.

Theming meals by cuisine type certainly helps our meal planning too! It's amazing how just a little bit of preparation can make such a difference.

You're right about having backup frozen meals - they're such a time saver, especially when you've had a big weekend and are too tired to cook on Sunday night!

Soups and stews are our go-to slow cooker meals. We love the set and forget aspect, especially on colder days. There's nothing like coming home to the aroma of dinner ready and waiting!

Reactions: techsavvy
We're big fans of theme nights too! It makes grocery shopping and meal prep so much easier, especially when you can prepare ingredients ahead of time.

Frozen meals are a godsend for busy nights or when you're too tired to cook. You're back up plan is a great idea and will definitely come in handy on those Sundays!

Slow cookers are the best for set it and forget it meals. The aroma after a long day really makes coming home so much better, especially with a hearty soup or stew waiting!

Theme nights are a great idea - they make everything easier and are a fun way to add variety too.

Frozen meals are a lifesaver, and I stock up whenever I can. It's also a good idea to have some easy back-up plans for those days when you just don't want to cook.

I'm a huge fan of slow cooking - it's such a satisfying feeling walking into the house after a long day knowing there's a tasty dinner ready and waiting! Nothing better than the aroma of a hearty stew or soup welcoming you home. Mmm, now I'm hungry!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Theme nights are a great idea - they make everything easier and are a fun way to add variety too.

Frozen meals are a lifesaver, and I stock up whenever I can. It's also a good idea to have some easy back-up plans for those days when you just don't want to cook.

I'm a huge fan of slow cooking - it's such a satisfying feeling walking into the house after a long day knowing there's a tasty dinner ready and waiting! Nothing better than the aroma of a hearty stew or soup welcoming you home. Mmm, now I'm hungry!
Having a variety of options certainly keeps meal times exciting!

It's wonderful to see so many people raving about themed nights and slow cooking. It's encouraging to know that others find them as useful as I do in simplifying meal planning.

What other tasty treats do you usually go for with your themed meals? Do you have any quick, no-cook meal options for those extra tired evenings?

Themed nights are a great way to keep things interesting and fun!

For our Mexican night, we often do tacos or nachos with all the trimmings - everyone can customize their own, which is a hit with the kids (and adults too!). We also love making pizza from scratch for our Italian night. The whole family gets involved in preparing the dough and choosing toppings. It's an event in itself and such a fun way to connect while cooking.

For quick, no-cook meals, we often go for cold cuts of meat, cheeses, and a big salad - almost like a indoor picnic! We also do wraps with lots of veggies and hummus or tzatziki. Cold soup, like gazpacho, is another refreshing option on hot days.

I'd love to hear more about what others have up their sleeves for easy, tasty no-cook meals!

Themed nights are a great way to keep things interesting and fun!

For our Mexican night, we often do tacos or nachos with all the trimmings - everyone can customize their own, which is a hit with the kids (and adults too!). We also love making pizza from scratch for our Italian night. The whole family gets involved in preparing the dough and choosing toppings. It's an event in itself and such a fun way to connect while cooking.

For quick, no-cook meals, we often go for cold cuts of meat, cheeses, and a big salad - almost like a indoor picnic! We also do wraps with lots of veggies and hummus or tzatziki. Cold soup, like gazpacho, is another refreshing option on hot days.

I'd love to hear more about what others have up their sleeves for easy, tasty no-cook meals!
That's a delightful idea to have everyone involved in preparing pizza dough for Italian night. One of the most satisfying ways to connect with the family and keep the mood light and enjoyable is to have everyone participating in the preparation of the meal. It definitely makes dining together more memorable when everyone has contributed somehow.

Your no-cook meals sound delightful, especially the indoor picnic idea! It's such a flexible concept that you can easily adapt to different themes as well. Cold soups are a refreshing change too, and a welcome break from the norm.

I'll share one of my favorite quick go-to's when I'm exhausted: a hearty bread basket with an assortment of dips and spreads like hummus, salsa, or even peanut butter! Accompanied by some crispy crackers, cold cuts, cheese, olives, and some fruity chutney, it makes for a delicious and effortless meal.

That's a delightful idea to have everyone involved in preparing pizza dough for Italian night. One of the most satisfying ways to connect with the family and keep the mood light and enjoyable is to have everyone participating in the preparation of the meal. It definitely makes dining together more memorable when everyone has contributed somehow.

Your no-cook meals sound delightful, especially the indoor picnic idea! It's such a flexible concept that you can easily adapt to different themes as well. Cold soups are a refreshing change too, and a welcome break from the norm.

I'll share one of my favorite quick go-to's when I'm exhausted: a hearty bread basket with an assortment of dips and spreads like hummus, salsa, or even peanut butter! Accompanied by some crispy crackers, cold cuts, cheese, olives, and some fruity chutney, it makes for a delicious and effortless meal.
Another one of our family's favorite no-cook meals is a seafood platter! We usually keep some cooked prawns, crab claws, and smoked salmon in the fridge for a quick and luxurious feast. It's so simple but looks impressive, especially with some tasty dips and sauces.

We often head to the supermarket hungry and fill up our trolley with all sorts of delicious treats, then gravitate towards the seafood section!

That's a fantastic idea! It's amazing how something so simple can feel so indulgent - it's like bringing the seafood restaurant experience home. I love the thought of making it a luxurious, yet low-key meal and keeping it super stress free. It's great to have some tasty treats on hand for those hungry moments!

I'm all about making things simple, especially when it comes to family meals - they're often rushed and thrown together so it's nice to find ways to make them delicious without the stress. There's something extra satisfying about creating a luxurious meal with minimal effort. Enjoy those crab cakes! They certainly hit the spot sometimes.

Reactions: joyful
I'm all about making things simple, especially when it comes to family meals - they're often rushed and thrown together so it's nice to find ways to make them delicious without the stress. There's something extra satisfying about creating a luxurious meal with minimal effort. Enjoy those crab cakes! They certainly hit the spot sometimes.
it is comforting food like crab cakes that helps one's soul after a long week! You enjoy them too and have a lovely weekend ahead!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
I completely agree - there's nothing more comforting than a delicious plate of crab cakes after a long, exhausting week! I hope you enjoy every bite this weekend and that your meals are stress-free and full of flavour!

Reactions: cissy
I completely agree - there's nothing more comforting than a delicious plate of crab cakes after a long, exhausting week! I hope you enjoy every bite this weekend and that your meals are stress-free and full of flavour!
Have a wonderful weekend as well! Keep those tasty treats coming.

Reactions: cissy
Enjoy your meals, you too! Have a delicious and fun-filled foodie weekend!
:)

Reactions: greenfingers

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu