• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Connecting through shared experiences

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'd love to hear about some of your experiences with finding connection through shared experiences - whether with your foster child, adopted child, or another child you may have connected with in the past. I'm especially interested in hearing how these connections came about and the impact they had on you and your family. Did you connect with another family who had a similar experience to yours? Or perhaps a shared interest helped form a bond with a child?

I'll go first! When I was a foster parent, one of my daughters had extreme difficulty sleeping. Another foster mom in the group had experienced the same thing and reaching out to her was such a relief - it felt so isolating before connecting with someone who understood. We leaned on each other for support and tried different strategies together. Though our time as fosters of similar-aged kids was short, that connection was invaluable.

I'm eager to hear your stories!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
I've had quite a few shared moments with the kids I've foster parented over the years! One of the most memorable was when I went camping with a bunch of them. There was this one little girl who absolutely loved nature and insects. She got so excited identifying all the different bugs we saw - turned out she had a knack for it too!

We also had a giggle fit once trying to navigate our way around a huge mall. We'd gone in looking for a particular toy she'd seen, and ended up running around like crazy trying to spot all the different characters from the same cartoon. Her laughter was infectious, and I remember we had such a great time just taking in the whole place. Mall staff probably thought we were nuts though, because we were laughing so hard at one point we sat down right there on the floor!

Moments like these, especially when you're doing something the kid enjoys, are so heartwarming. You feel that instant connection and it's a wonderful reminder of the joys of foster parenting - despite the challenges, of course!

Reactions: cissy
I think shared experiences definitely strengthen bonds! It's like when my sister and I bumped into another mum at the park whose kid also had a severe egg allergy. We usually felt so on edge leaving the house, but chatting with someone who got it was comforting. We ended up having playdates often - the kids loved them too 'cause they finally had someone to compare notes on their favourite egg-free treats! It's these little connections that make us feel less alone and more understood.

There's really nothing quite like finding someone who can relate to your experiences, eh? Especially so when it comes to the challenges of fostering.

When I was fostering, one of my kids had a really hard time sleeping too - it's exhausting, isn't it? Having someone to talk to who'd gone through the same thing was so helpful; sharing tips and knowing you're not alone makes a big difference.

It's heartwarming how these shared experiences can bring people together and create such meaningful connections.

I think shared experiences definitely help us feel less alone. I remember when my toddler went through a phase of refusing to sleep - it was so draining and stressfulf, especially since I had a young baby too. Knowing someone else going through the same thing made me feel so much better and less alone! It's comforting to share tips and know we're not the only ones struggling and "failing". We all need that support and someone who understands what we're going through!

I think shared experiences definitely help us feel less alone. I remember when my toddler went through a phase of refusing to sleep - it was so draining and stressfulf, especially since I had a young baby too. Knowing someone else going through the same thing made me feel so much better and less alone! It's comforting to share tips and know we're not the only ones struggling and "failing". We all need that support and someone who understands what we're going through!
Yeah, it's nice to have someone to relate to especially when it comes to parenting. It's a tough job and many parents - foster or otherwise - face unique challenges that others around them might not understand. Someone who has gone through something similar can offer insights and moral support that's truly invaluable.

I think shared experiences definitely help people connect, especially when it comes to parenting! It's reassuring to know that others go through similar struggles and triumphs; like this forum can be for venting, support and also sharing tips!

For me, bonding with kids has sometimes started by finding common ground through activities. I remember as a teen volunteering at a primary school sports camp and connecting with a shy camper who loved art. We had fun helping the younger kids make super creative masks and soon we were drawing and chatting away! Something about having a shared focus or activity breaks the ice and opens up conversations, and before you know it, bonds are formed!

It's heartwarming to see how these shared experiences can create lasting impacts and support systems.

Shared experiences really do count for a lot, especially when it comes to parenting, because every kid is different and the challenges are often unique! It's great to have someone to turn to who understands what you're going through, especially when you're all in the same boat. The egg allergy example hits close to home - it's so nice when you find other parents who get that added layer of worry and can offer tips or just a listening ear. Those little connections make everything feel a little less overwhelming. Remember the saying "It takes a village to raise a child"? It's like that, having a community of parents around you with similar experiences is super comforting!

Shared experiences really do count for a lot, especially when it comes to parenting, because every kid is different and the challenges are often unique! It's great to have someone to turn to who understands what you're going through, especially when you're all in the same boat. The egg allergy example hits close to home - it's so nice when you find other parents who get that added layer of worry and can offer tips or just a listening ear. Those little connections make everything feel a little less overwhelming. Remember the saying "It takes a village to raise a child"? It's like that, having a community of parents around you with similar experiences is super comforting!
I fully agree! It's very comforting to find others going through similar situations - the shared understanding can be so reassuring and helps us feel less alone!

For me, it was a huge relief when I found other mums in my parenting group who had kids with similar food allergies. The constant fear of accidents and worry about their well-being can be exhausting, so it's nice to have company in this situation - someone to talk to who just gets it. We often share tips too; it's like having your very own support group! It's heartening to know we're not alone in these unique challenges.

I fully agree! It's very comforting to find others going through similar situations - the shared understanding can be so reassuring and helps us feel less alone!

For me, it was a huge relief when I found other mums in my parenting group who had kids with similar food allergies. The constant fear of accidents and worry about their well-being can be exhausting, so it's nice to have company in this situation - someone to talk to who just gets it. We often share tips too; it's like having your very own support group! It's heartening to know we're not alone in these unique challenges.
It's great to have that sense of community and belonging, especially when you're facing something challenging. Having those shared experiences and knowing there are others going through the same things can make a difficult situation a little easier. It's comforting and encouraging to hear about other people's experiences and how they manage them.

It's great to have that sense of community and belonging, especially when you're facing something challenging. Having those shared experiences and knowing there are others going through the same things can make a difficult situation a little easier. It's comforting and encouraging to hear about other people's experiences and how they manage them.
Yeah, it's really nice to have people we can relate to in similar situations, especially when it comes to parenting and the challenges we face. Having a gang of mums to lean on, who understand our specific struggles, is such a relief! It's almost like a little support group within our busy lives, where we can share tips and feel less alone in our worries.

53797859914_4405542e8d_m.jpg

I'm an avid sports fan, and it was a real joy to see my foster kid getting into the same teams as me, especially the local soccer club we supported together. We'd watch matches and cheer together, and he'd explain his love for the sport and players to me. It was heartwarming to see him so passionate about something and opened up a whole new world for me too!

The shared excitement over a goal scored or a win really brought us closer together, and we'd often relive these moments. It's a precious memory I hold dear, especially as it showed me the impact of having a shared interest and passion, which was such a special way to form a connection.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Yup, I totally agree! Having shared activities definitely helps to break the ice and connect with kids. It's easier to strike a conversation when you're doing something together, especially if it's something fun and engaging.

Remember those volunteer days - teaching art to little kids at the school camp? That was so much fun! We made some cool masks and before we knew it, we were all chatting away happily. The ice was broken, thanks to shared creativity! And that's not all - the common ground didn't just help me connect with the campers. I also bonded with some of the other volunteers that way; we commiserated about our shared experiences and offered each other tips on handling different situations.

It's amazing how these shared moments can help us form new connections and create lasting memories!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu