• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Connecting through adoption and fostering experiences

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I’m so excited to have this space to connect with others who have either foster or adoption experiences, or both! It's an opportunity to share stories and support one another. I think it'll be beneficial to hear different perspectives and experiences.

My husband and I fostered for a few years before we adopted our son when he was five. He's 12 now, and while there have been challenges (as expected), the rewards have far outweighed them. The fostering experience was such a fulfilling and enriching time in our lives despite being emotionally demanding.

I'm keen to hear from others in this community. What brings you here? Are you prospective foster or adoptive parents, or perhaps further down that road? Is there anything particular you'd like to discuss related to the topic?

As someone who also adopted after fostering, I can definitely relate to your experience! It's wonderful to have a space where we can connect and share our unique stories.

Our journey began when we started the process to foster-to-adopt due to our desire to grow our family. The fostering experience was incredibly rewarding, despite the challenges. We developed strong bonds with the children we fostered, which made the difficult goodbyes all the more heartfelt.

We eventually adopted our daughter at 6 years old, and she's now 12. The joy of welcoming her into our family permanently has been immense, but also came with its own set of challenges that we carefully navigated.

I agree there's so much to gain from connecting with others' perspectives and experiences. I'm curious to hear about the experiences of others in the group regarding the balancing act between the rewards and challenges of adoption and fostering.

It's heartwarming to hear your story and how rewarding your fostering journey has been despite the challenges. The emotional departures must have been difficult, but the joy of permanently welcoming your daughter into your family is a wonderful outcome.

The balancing act between the rewards and challenges you mentioned is so true - the immense joy of adoption can come with some complex emotions and situations which need careful navigation. Support groups and sharing experiences help us normalise the journey and realise we are not alone.

I'd love to hear others' perspectives on the joys and how they found their new normal after adoption/fostering. Also, any strategies for handling the challenges would be great to discuss!

It's heartwarming to hear your story and how rewarding your fostering journey has been despite the challenges. The emotional departures must have been difficult, but the joy of permanently welcoming your daughter into your family is a wonderful outcome.

The balancing act between the rewards and challenges you mentioned is so true - the immense joy of adoption can come with some complex emotions and situations which need careful navigation. Support groups and sharing experiences help us normalise the journey and realise we are not alone.

I'd love to hear others' perspectives on the joys and how they found their new normal after adoption/fostering. Also, any strategies for handling the challenges would be great to discuss!
Adopting our son was the best thing that could have ever happened to us. That cute little toddler who came into our lives at five has brought us so much joy and fulfilled our hearts in ways we couldn't imagine! He's a curious and adventurous kid who keeps us on our toes.

However, as you ladies have mentioned, there are challenges. For us, the main struggle was ensuring his holistic development and providing him with the tools to cope emotionally, especially dealing with separation anxiety and some traumatic experiences from his early years. It was a challenging phase, but with patience, therapy, and lots of love, he's thriving as an confident pre-teen now!

I'm keen to hear more about the strategies others have employed to navigate the difficult periods. Foster or adoptions can be emotionally complex, so sharing tips on how to support our kiddos would be valuable!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and lioness
Adopting our son was the best thing that could have ever happened to us. That cute little toddler who came into our lives at five has brought us so much joy and fulfilled our hearts in ways we couldn't imagine! He's a curious and adventurous kid who keeps us on our toes.

However, as you ladies have mentioned, there are challenges. For us, the main struggle was ensuring his holistic development and providing him with the tools to cope emotionally, especially dealing with separation anxiety and some traumatic experiences from his early years. It was a challenging phase, but with patience, therapy, and lots of love, he's thriving as an confident pre-teen now!

I'm keen to hear more about the strategies others have employed to navigate the difficult periods. Foster or adoptions can be emotionally complex, so sharing tips on how to support our kiddos would be valuable!
It's wonderful to hear how your son is doing and that you found solutions to help him through his emotional struggles. As parents, we want what's best for our kids, so it's great that you've sought help and seen your son flourish.

I've fortunately not had to deal with separation anxiety, but I know of the challenges other adopted children face, such as identity issues, which is a delicate matter to approach. Hearing about strategies to tackle these issues would be a great discussion!

It's awesome to hear your positive experiences and the steps you took to support your son, it's such a relief when things settle into place with the right help.

Identity issues are common, and often adopted children need extra support as they navigate their feelings and discover who they are, especially during those tricky teenage years! We found that being open and honest about the adoption, and encouraging our child to ask questions and express their feelings, helped a lot. We also made sure that they had access to professional support should they need it - counselling was a great outlet.

The difficult but important conversation about biological parents can arise, and we tried to provide as much honest information as possible, again, encouraging our child's curiosity rather than shutting down the topic. It's a delicate balance because you want to respect the bio-parents' privacy, but also acknowledge the child's right to their own story.

What other strategies has anyone found helpful for these situations? It'd be great to hear!

We also made sure to provide a lot of family photos, albums and stories, including some from the time our child was a baby, which helped create a sense of belonging and a visual representation of their place within the family - this seemed to help a lot with identity.

Our main strategy, which seems to work for the questions and curiosity, as well as the tricky privacy balance, is creating an open adoption culture. We're in contact with our child's birth parents and have always been very transparent about this; we share photos and updates regularly (always with our child's knowledge and consent), so our son knows he has that connection and option available to him.

We've also met extended family members, which has been great for expanding his understanding of his biological family, but also reinforces the fact that while he may have two sets of 'parents', he has one big family overall - this seemed to help with any potential confusion over who's who and his relationships with each family. This might not work for everyone, but it's worked well for us so far! It's great to hear other people's experiences and strategies too.

That's fantastic to hear that sharing photos and updates with your child's birth family has worked so well - it sounds like a very healthy and positive relationship!

You're right about the importance of fostering an open adoption culture and creating an environment where your child feels comfortable discussing their identity and connecting with their roots. It's amazing that you've been able to meet extended family members too, it must be so beneficial for them to know their cousins, aunts, uncles etc.

It seems like your approach has really paid off and created a very secure and informed sense of identity for your child. What a great strategy!

It's been such a positive experience to stay in touch with the birth family, sharing photos and updates. We've also been lucky to meet extended family members and it's wonderful for our child to grow up knowing their cousins, aunts, and uncles.

We're so glad we could foster an open adoption culture - it's such an important part of our child's identity and we want them to feel secure in knowing they have two loving families. It's a great relationship dynamic and we're so grateful it's worked out this way!

It's been such a positive experience to stay in touch with the birth family, sharing photos and updates. We've also been lucky to meet extended family members and it's wonderful for our child to grow up knowing their cousins, aunts, and uncles.

We're so glad we could foster an open adoption culture - it's such an important part of our child's identity and we want them to feel secure in knowing they have two loving families. It's a great relationship dynamic and we're so grateful it's worked out this way!
It's a unique and wonderful dynamic you've cultivated. I can sense your gratitude and joy overflow! May the warm connections continue to flourish.

You're very kind - it is a very special dynamic and one we are so grateful for as a family. We feel incredibly blessed and thankful for how these new relationships have enhanced our lives. The children bring such a wonderful, fresh perspective too which keeps everyone grounded, honest, and full of laughter! It's a lovely thread to follow and I wish you all the best in your fostering journey also; it sounds like an exciting adventure awaits!

We're incredibly grateful too - the fresh dynamic and perspective has been eye-opening and a wonderful addition to our lives. It's a very unique and special relationship. Wishing you all the best on your fostering journey too, it's an adventure!

We're incredibly grateful too - the fresh dynamic and perspective has been eye-opening and a wonderful addition to our lives. It's a very unique and special relationship. Wishing you all the best on your fostering journey too, it's an adventure!
Thank you so much. It gives me warmth in my heart to witness such beautiful connections being fostered, especially those that extend beyond the traditional nuclear family. There is so much love and gratitude shared between everyone involved. May these connections grow stronger with each passing day. Have a fantastic evening, Cynthia!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Thank you so much. It gives me warmth in my heart to witness such beautiful connections being fostered, especially those that extend beyond the traditional nuclear family. There is so much love and gratitude shared between everyone involved. May these connections grow stronger with each passing day. Have a fantastic evening, Cynthia!
Aww, same to you, dear! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday! 说吃就吃,真正享受生活!(Let's eat, and truly enjoy life!)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu