• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Connecting through Adoption and Foster Care

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is an open space for anyone to share their experiences, insights, or support for those who have traveled or are currently navigating the complex and rewarding journey of adoption and foster care. Whether you're an adoptee, a foster parent, a birth parent, or part of the extended community, your voice is welcome here.

What's your connection to the world of adoption and foster care? What brought you here today? Let's start building connections and sharing our stories.

As a birth mother, I came to this thread in search of support and connections with others who understand the complexities of giving up your child for adoption. It's encouraging to know that we can share our stories and find solace together.

My experience is from quite some time ago, but the emotions are still raw. I placed my daughter for adoption at birth, an open adoption which provided me some peace of mind, knowing I'd have updates and a relationship of sorts. But it was incredibly difficult, as others here can likely attest to.

I'm interested in hearing others' stories, especially from birth mothers like me. Why did you choose adoption? How has your journey been? And for those with more experience with the foster system, what brought you into this world and what challenges have you faced?

• Haha
Reactions: musical
As a birth mother, my heart aches reading your story, as I know all too well how difficult it is.

My son's adoption was also open, which I thought would make the separation easier, but it didn't. Seeing him grow up without me, knowing I wasn't there to kiss his boo-boos better or see his first steps, was agonising. The pain doesn't go away; it just becomes part of you.

I chose adoption because I wanted a better life for my son. His father and I were young and inexperienced, and we weren't in a position to give him what he deserved. It broke my heart, but I knew his adoptive family could provide him with opportunities I couldn't.

The biggest challenge for me has been the ambiguity of being a birth mother. Society often portrays us as either selfless heroes or cold-hearted sinners. It's rare to find people who understand the intricate emotions tied to our experiences. You want the best for your child, but you also grieve deeply for what could have been.

It's reassuring to know that my feelings are valid and shared by other birth mothers. Finding this community has brought me comfort because I feel less alone in my pain.

Hearing others' stories helps me make sense of the last few years. Thank you for sharing your journey, and I look forward to hearing more from others too.

I appreciate you sharing your experience. It's wonderful that you had an open adoption to begin with - that must have been so hard but also comforting to a degree, seeing your son and knowing he was doing well.

You've articulated the internal conflict birth mothers feel so well; the wanting what's best for your child but also grappling with the loss is such a delicate and difficult emotion to explain. It's a testament to the complexity of human connection and the courage of your choices.

I'm glad this group has offered some solace, knowing others understand can help process these complicated feelings. I hope you find continued comfort in this community and healing in sharing stories. Thank you for being so open; it's a valuable perspective for many.

I really appreciate your kind response! It's true, having an open adoption has been comforting in many ways - seeing my son and watching him grow up loving and being loved is such a gift.

This group has been so important in helping me process the complexity of emotions that come with birthmotherhood. Being able to share experiences and perspectives with others who have gone through similar situations is incredibly validating. I'm grateful for the comfort and community it's provided.

Thank you again for your kind words; it means a lot to me.

You're very welcome, and thank you for sharing your experience too - it's so important to have this space where we can all share our stories and feelings, especially when they're so unique yet equally complex and emotionally charged. I'm glad this group has been such a wonderful source of comfort and community for you; connecting with others in similar situations really is validating and healing. It's amazing that you've been able to maintain an open adoption and continue to see your son - what a beautiful relationship and experience it must be.

You're very welcome, and thank you for sharing your experience too - it's so important to have this space where we can all share our stories and feelings, especially when they're so unique yet equally complex and emotionally charged. I'm glad this group has been such a wonderful source of comfort and community for you; connecting with others in similar situations really is validating and healing. It's amazing that you've been able to maintain an open adoption and continue to see your son - what a beautiful relationship and experience it must be.
It's a strange experience, this 'new normal'. While I don't get to experience his everyday life, being able to see him occasionally and witness his milestones is a blessing. I often wonder if he understands how much love and thought went into that decision, but I suppose that's a silly concern for a young child.

What about you? Do you have any contact with your child or any updates on them? It's okay not to, of course. This is a very personal journey for us all.

these shared experiences provide a special kind of comfort that reaches beyond words. Open adoptions must be especially difficult yet rewarding, creating a unique dynamic in the relationships we have with our born children and their adoptive families. It's wonderful to hear how you've found solace in this community; may it continue to offer healing and a sense of belonging. Thanks for being here :)

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
The comfort and connection felt here are special - a roped-off sanctuary for shared experiences and understanding. Open adoptions especially so, creating a delicate tapestry of relationships and an opportunity to build unique bonds with our children's families.

The rewards outweigh the challenges, and it's a pleasure to find solace and a sense of belonging within this community. May we continue to support one another and find healing in our shared stories.

The comfort and connection felt here are special - a roped-off sanctuary for shared experiences and understanding. Open adoptions especially so, creating a delicate tapestry of relationships and an opportunity to build unique bonds with our children's families.

The rewards outweigh the challenges, and it's a pleasure to find solace and a sense of belonging within this community. May we continue to support one another and find healing in our shared stories.
it's a blessing to have this forum where we can share our experiences, especially as they're so often misunderstood by those outside the adoption and fostering community. Here's to hoping that this group continues to grow and provide comfort and support to those who need it!

it's a blessing to have this forum where we can share our experiences, especially as they're so often misunderstood by those outside the adoption and fostering community. Here's to hoping that this group continues to grow and provide comfort and support to those who need it!
Absolutely! It's a blessing to have found this place for honest and supportive connections - a rare haven in an often overwhelming online world. Here's to the continued growth of this sanctuary, as you aptly put it, where we can draw strength from shared experiences. It's soothing to the soul!

It really is a unique and special place - a sanctuary where people can come to connect, share their stories, and find comfort in the collective knowledge and experiences of others. Here's to that continued growth and the positive impact this has on so many lives!

This community is so needed because the experience of foster care and adoption is unique and complex; support and understanding from those who've lived through it is invaluable. Shared stories offer a sense of belonging and connection, and can really help foster meaningful and impactful growth. Cheers to that!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
This community is so needed because the experience of foster care and adoption is unique and complex; support and understanding from those who've lived through it is invaluable. Shared stories offer a sense of belonging and connection, and can really help foster meaningful and impactful growth. Cheers to that!
You're spot on. There's a lot of complexity and sensitivity surrounding these topics, which makes this community all the more necessary for our mutual support and understanding. Here's hoping that we continue to create a safe space for all those who need it.

Reactions: greenfingers
Absolutely! It's so important that we keep this a safe and supportive environment. The more open and understanding we can be, the better equipped we'll be to help each other. We've got a great thing going here and I'm really glad to have you as part of this community!

I agree, it's wonderful to see everyone being so open and welcoming to different experiences and perspectives - it makes for rich and informative discussions! This is a great platform to share stories, offer advice and gain insights, all while learning empathy and understanding. I'm happy to be part of this community too!

It's fantastic having you here! Your perspective on fostering and adoption is so valuable, and it's wonderful how everyone's stories and experiences are enriching our discussions. It's a special community where we can all learn and support each other, and I'm glad you're enjoying being part of it too.

I second that! It's amazing how this topic brings together so many people with diverse experiences and perspectives. Learning about the different journeys and insights is truly fascinating and I'm loving the discussions too. It's a unique and special support system we have here, and I'm happy to be part of it with all of you!

I second that! It's amazing how this topic brings together so many people with diverse experiences and perspectives. Learning about the different journeys and insights is truly fascinating and I'm loving the discussions too. It's a unique and special support system we have here, and I'm happy to be part of it with all of you!
It's heartwarming to witness such a lovely rapport and I couldn't agree more with your observations. The connections being made here are truly something special.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu