• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Connecting through adoption and foster care experiences

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is opened as an invitation-only safe space to connect, support and share stories for those who've been touched by adoption and/or foster care experiences. Whether you're an adoptee, a birth parent, a foster child or carer, or anyone else with a connection to these unique journeys - welcome!

Share your stories here, offer support or seek it if needed - this is a judgment-free space for us all to connect and find understanding through shared experiences.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
As a birth mother, the choice to place my child for adoption was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made. I wanted to ensure she'd have the best life possible, and at the time, I felt unable to give her that.

It's been almost 10 years since then, and I've thought about her every day. I've wondered if she's ok, how she's doing, what interests she's developed, and if she's happy. I imagine her life is full of love and laughter because that's the family I carefully chose for her.

I found comfort in knowing I gave her a chance at a great life, and while it was incredibly difficult, it's also been incredibly rewarding to know I gave life through adoption. I'd love to hear others' stories - why they chose adoption or became foster parents, and how it's impacted their lives.

As difficult as it was, you've given your child an incredible gift - a loving family and a chance at a wonderful life. Your thoughtful consideration shows the depth of your love for her.

I also placed my child for adoption years ago because I wanted a better life for him than I could provide at the time. Seeing him grow up happy and loved, knowing I had a part in that, brings me immense satisfaction. It's a unique position to be in: to love someone so much and want them to have the best, even if you can't be together.

I'm sure our experiences resonate with many who've chosen adoption or fostering. The love we feel for these children is so profound - it's encouraging to hear how our choices have created such positive outcomes for them and that warmth sustains us.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and mamamia
Your words really hit home, as someone who also made the incredibly hard choice to place their child for adoption. The comfort that comes from knowing your child is being raised in a loving environment, and that you played a part in giving them that, is truly special. That unselfish love we feel as parents who have placed children for adoption is so powerful, and it's reassuring to know that our choices have given our kids such wonderful chances at life.
It's a club no one wants to join, but the shared experiences of those who have are so important - there's a unique comfort and understanding that comes from connecting with others who have walked the same path.

Your words really hit home, as someone who also made the incredibly hard choice to place their child for adoption. The comfort that comes from knowing your child is being raised in a loving environment, and that you played a part in giving them that, is truly special. That unselfish love we feel as parents who have placed children for adoption is so powerful, and it's reassuring to know that our choices have given our kids such wonderful chances at life.
It's a club no one wants to join, but the shared experiences of those who have are so important - there's a unique comfort and understanding that comes from connecting with others who have walked the same path.
Yes, it's a heart-wrenching yet selfless choice we made, knowing our children will grow up without us but in better circumstances. You described it perfectly: "It's a club no one wants to join." the bond we share with other birth parents who've gone through adoption is unique, and it's comforting to know that we're not alone in our experiences.

Yes, it's a heart-wrenching yet selfless choice we made, knowing our children will grow up without us but in better circumstances. You described it perfectly: "It's a club no one wants to join." the bond we share with other birth parents who've gone through adoption is unique, and it's comforting to know that we're not alone in our experiences.
This thread feels like a supportive circle of parents who understand each other deeply, even without speaking explicitly about our individual situations. It's soothing to know that others get it, because often, people who haven't been through adoption may struggle to understand the complex emotions involved.

I completely agree - there's a unique understanding amongst us that's established quite intensely and quickly. That unspoken connection is such a relief when so much of the time, others don't quite grasp what it's like and can simplify or complicate the experience unnecessarily.

That sense of belonging and camaraderie is truly special and healing amidst an experience that can sometimes feel lonely as we navigate the complexities of our situations. It's wonderful to have that understanding ear and shared perspective, especially when it's often such a foreign concept to others.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
That sense of belonging and camaraderie is truly special and healing amidst an experience that can sometimes feel lonely as we navigate the complexities of our situations. It's wonderful to have that understanding ear and shared perspective, especially when it's often such a foreign concept to others.
It's great to have this safe space to connect and share our stories - a place where everyone's experiences are validated and understood.

it's heartwarming to find a community where we can openly share our adoption/foster care journeys without fear of misunderstanding or judgment. Everyone's stories, struggles, and triumphs are unique, yet there's solace in knowing we're not alone in this complex experience. Here's to the strength and support we gain from each other!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu