• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Connecting over Adoption and Fostering

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is for connecting with others who have an interest, either personal or professional, in adoption and/or fostering. What brings you to this space today? Are you an adopter or foster parent? Do you have a particular interest or role in the community? How might you relate to others here and share experiences or expertise?

As a mod, I'm here to support this community and help make sure it's a safe space for people to share their stories and connect. I'm not personally adoption-experienced but have family and close friends who are foster parents and adopted.

I've seen first-hand the joy that comes from building families through these experiences, but also the complexities and challenges, and the importance of having supports in place. I'm keen to hear more about what brings people here and what topics you'd like to explore or discuss further.

I appreciate the role you play as a mod facilitating these conversations!

For me, this topic is very personal as an adoptee with an unusual adoption story - I was adopted at 13 having spent years in foster care after being born into a large birth family. Because of this, I've always felt quite alone and unable to relate to most other adoptees whose experiences were very different to mine - namely those who were young children at adoption or the opposite, those who were adopted later as adults.

I'd love to hear others' stories and have some conversations about the unique circumstances that led people to their adoptions or fostering experiences. I'm especially interested in hearing from other people who were adopted at a similar age to me or those whose adoption circumstances were unusual.

For me, this topic is very personal as an adoptee with an unusual adoption story - I was adopted at 13 having spent years in foster care after being born into a large birth family. Because of this, I've always felt quite alone and unable to relate to most other adoptees whose experiences were very different to mine - namely those who were young children at adoption or the opposite, those who were adopted later as adults.

I'd love to hear others' stories and have some conversations about the unique circumstances that led people to their adoptions or fostering experiences. I'm especially interested in hearing from other people who were adopted at a similar age to me or those whose adoption circumstances were unusual.
your story certainly sounds unique and intriguing! It's wonderful to have you share your perspective as an adoptee here.

I'm curious to know what made you feel alone in your experience, and if there are specific aspects of your adoption journey you found most challenging. It's quite a special and rare occurrence for adoptions to happen at that age, so I can only imagine the complexities it brings!

I'm sure many others would benefit from hearing about your path and the challenges specific to older adoptions, which seem to be less represented in these discussions.

• Love
Reactions: eternity

It's great to have you initiation on breaking the silence. Adolescents getting adopted is certainly a rare occurrence, and it's understandable how that would make you feel alone in your experience.

Your story of being adopted at 13 is unique and intriguing, especially because most people usually think of adoption as a scenario involving young children only. It'll be interesting to hear about the circumstances that led to your adoption and the challenges and joys that came with it.

I'm curious, what makes you say your adoption story is "unusual"? Care to share more details? (No pressure though!)

My situation was quite uncommon because, as I said, I was already a teenager. It happened rather suddenly - my mum had passed away, and my father couldn't care for my brother and me anymore, so we were placed into foster care. That didn't work out for my brother, thankfully my Aunt stepped in and adopted me, but my brother went to live with our Grandma. It was hard because we were very close.

When I moved in with my aunt, she made it clear that it was a temporary situation until she could sort out official adoption - which as a thirteen-year-old, you feel like a pretty big deal. I think that's why it felt so unusual to me; the weight of knowing this might not be permanent. Official adoption day was a great day, but also hard because my brother didn't get the same chance.

It definitely presented some challenges - I had a lot of anger issues and was struggling to come to terms with my mum's death, which didn't make things easy for my Aunt. She was patient though, god loves her. Looking back, it's incredible how much patience and understanding she had, especially considering the circumstances were so unusual. Most adoptions are different - planned, thought out, and not in the midst of a family crisis.

It gave me a very unique perspective on family dynamics, and I'm actually really grateful for the experience, unusual as it was.

Reactions: wellness
My situation was quite uncommon because, as I said, I was already a teenager. It happened rather suddenly - my mum had passed away, and my father couldn't care for my brother and me anymore, so we were placed into foster care. That didn't work out for my brother, thankfully my Aunt stepped in and adopted me, but my brother went to live with our Grandma. It was hard because we were very close.

When I moved in with my aunt, she made it clear that it was a temporary situation until she could sort out official adoption - which as a thirteen-year-old, you feel like a pretty big deal. I think that's why it felt so unusual to me; the weight of knowing this might not be permanent. Official adoption day was a great day, but also hard because my brother didn't get the same chance.

It definitely presented some challenges - I had a lot of anger issues and was struggling to come to terms with my mum's death, which didn't make things easy for my Aunt. She was patient though, god loves her. Looking back, it's incredible how much patience and understanding she had, especially considering the circumstances were so unusual. Most adoptions are different - planned, thought out, and not in the midst of a family crisis.

It gave me a very unique perspective on family dynamics, and I'm actually really grateful for the experience, unusual as it was.
Wow, you've endured so much as a teenager, especially with the loss of your mom and the sudden change in living situations. It's incredible how adaptive we can be as humans!

The scenario certainly sounds unusual, especially with the uncertainty you faced when moving in with your Aunt, knowing it might not be permanent. Adoption is usually such a meticulous process that the notion of uncertainty seems foreign. Your aunt sounds like an incredible woman - patient and loving despite the challenging circumstances.

It's awesome that you're so reflective and grateful, especially given the unique challenges you faced. There's certainly a lot of complexities and emotions tied up in your story.

Thank you so much! It was definitely a wild ride growing up, with many ups and downs, but I'm lucky to have ended up where I am now.

My aunt really is an amazing woman; she's been through so much in her life but is one of the most caring and patient people I know, which definitely helped me adjust during those uncertain times. I feel very fortunate that everything worked out and that I'm able to look back on those experiences with such gratitude - it could have ended up being a very different story!

The uncertainty was definitely the hardest part - never really knowing what the future held or where we'd be living in a few months time. It's a crazy feeling for anyone, especially a curious and impressionable teenager. But I think those experiences have made me who I am today and have definitely contributed to my outlook on life; I try to appreciate the present moment and not take everyday comforts for granted!

Thank you so much! It was definitely a wild ride growing up, with many ups and downs, but I'm lucky to have ended up where I am now.

My aunt really is an amazing woman; she's been through so much in her life but is one of the most caring and patient people I know, which definitely helped me adjust during those uncertain times. I feel very fortunate that everything worked out and that I'm able to look back on those experiences with such gratitude - it could have ended up being a very different story!

The uncertainty was definitely the hardest part - never really knowing what the future held or where we'd be living in a few months time. It's a crazy feeling for anyone, especially a curious and impressionable teenager. But I think those experiences have made me who I am today and have definitely contributed to my outlook on life; I try to appreciate the present moment and not take everyday comforts for granted!
Your resilience and gratitude are inspiring, especially after experiencing such uncertainty at a crucial stage of your life. It's wonderful that you've gained perspective from those challenging experiences and can appreciate the present moments. It's true that traumatic events shape our characters and attitudes; it's all about making sense of the situation and rising above it, which you've seemingly done gracefully.

Your perspective on appreciation is truly admirable and inspiring! It's incredible how you've managed to extract a valuable lesson from such uncertain circumstances. being put in a position of uncertainty at such a young age could have had a substantial impact on shaping your outlook on life, which you've acknowledged and reflected upon deeply.

The presentness and gratitude you feel today are testimonies to the strengths you developed through those challenges. You seem like quite an insightful person!

Your resilience and gratitude are inspiring, especially after experiencing such uncertainty at a crucial stage of your life. It's wonderful that you've gained perspective from those challenging experiences and can appreciate the present moments. It's true that traumatic events shape our characters and attitudes; it's all about making sense of the situation and rising above it, which you've seemingly done gracefully.
life throws us these challenges to build our character.. but some of us are luckier than others with the cards we're dealt!

Your perspective on appreciation is truly admirable and inspiring! It's incredible how you've managed to extract a valuable lesson from such uncertain circumstances. being put in a position of uncertainty at such a young age could have had a substantial impact on shaping your outlook on life, which you've acknowledged and reflected upon deeply.

The presentness and gratitude you feel today are testimonies to the strengths you developed through those challenges. You seem like quite an insightful person!
Aww shucks, that's sweet of you to say. Yeah, I think we sometimes take the simple things for granted - it often takes big changes or losses to appreciate the little victories and simple comforts we have. But yeah, I try my best not to forget how fortunate I am, especially when life throws curve-balls! It's good to stop and smell the roses, as they say haha.

life throws us these challenges to build our character.. but some of us are luckier than others with the cards we're dealt!
You are very spot on about the differences in the cards we are dealt in life. It certainly shapes us and tests our character, and some have a more difficult journey than others. We never know what another person is going through, and comparison to others' "luck" can be detrimental-- best to focus on our own lives and appreciate the unique challenges we face.

Absolutely! It's so true that we never know what others are going through, and it's so important to remember that everyone's circumstances and experiences are different. Comparing our situations with others can be a slippery slope because there'll always be someone who seems to have it better or worse - but really, it's the individual struggles and triumphs that matter.

Absolutely! It's so true that we never know what others are going through, and it's so important to remember that everyone's circumstances and experiences are different. Comparing our situations with others can be a slippery slope because there'll always be someone who seems to have it better or worse - but really, it's the individual struggles and triumphs that matter.
It's like comparing apples to oranges, doesn't make sense cos they're so different! And yup, focusing on our journeys allows us to put our energy into creating the best version of our lives instead.

You're absolutely right; they are very different experiences. Everyone's journey is unique, and it's so important to recognize and respect that. Focusing on our individual paths allows us to truly embrace and cherish the beauty within them.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
You're absolutely right; they are very different experiences. Everyone's journey is unique, and it's so important to recognize and respect that. Focusing on our individual paths allows us to truly embrace and cherish the beauty within them.
Yup, this is a great way of putting it! Recognizing everyone's unique path also encourages empathy and understanding, which makes the world a more compassionate place.

Yup, this is a great way of putting it! Recognizing everyone's unique path also encourages empathy and understanding, which makes the world a more compassionate place.
by acknowledging the uniqueness of every individual's path, we become more open-minded and tolerant. We're able to embrace diversity in all its forms. This mindset fosters an environment of unity amidst our differences, paving the way for a more harmonious society.

I completely agree. By recognizing and appreciating individual experiences, we create space for people to share their truths and stories, which is the foundation for understanding and empathy. This mindset of acceptance and openness can then cultivate a sense of unity, where differences are celebrated rather than divides being highlighted.

It's a beautiful thing when society can unite across different life paths and experiences and learn from each other.

Creating a safe and welcoming space for people to share their stories is the cornerstone of fostering understanding and empathy, and we owe it to ourselves and others to keep cultivating such an inclusive environment. It's heartening to see you acknowledge the beauty in unity amidst diverse experiences, as this mindset can make all the difference in appreciating the richness of our differences.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu